PDA

View Full Version : Golden vs. Liquitex and CA Prop 65

TeaTrekkie
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I was looking to place an order for some acrylic paints finally. I went over to choose my colors, hoping to substitute any so-called toxic ones with a better alternative. I noticed that Golden has way more CA Prop 65 symbols by certain colors than Liquitex (both heavy bodied).

Would this mean that Liquitex uses less of that pigment in their tubes? I could write to them and ask, but I wondered if anyone here knows the answer.

TeaTrekkie
11-06-2014, 02:38 PM
I just talked with someone at Golden for quite some time. Wow! Great customer service there. Even though the man I spoke with did not know why theirs was labeled and Liquitex was not, we had a great conversation about paint in general. I now understand more about paints called 'hues.' And about fluid vs. open vs. heavy bodied. :-)

Tiasa
11-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I donít think it means Liquitex uses less pigment on products labeled CA Prop 65.

I think Golden just puts warning labels on all products that contain any CA Prop 65 chemicals. Golden tells you about the CA Prop 65 chemicals in their products even if the chemicals are considered to be at safe levels. I doubt there is much real difference between Liquitex and Golden, except you get more info on the Golden labels.

http://oldsite.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp8article6.php

TeaTrekkie
11-06-2014, 03:32 PM
I donít think it means Liquitex uses less pigment on products labeled CA Prop 65.

I think Golden just puts warning labels on all products that contain any CA Prop 65 chemicals. Golden tells you about the CA Prop 65 chemicals in their products even if the chemicals are considered to be at safe levels. I doubt there is much real difference between Liquitex and Golden, except you get more info on the Golden labels.

http://oldsite.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp8article6.php
Yes, that is the feeling I got. Golden is giving more info. Both paints contain a similar amount of pigment.

jennifervs
11-07-2014, 11:17 AM
The State of California has unique labeling requirements for products that contain certain chemicals. These chemicals are listed, under rules of the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act (otherwise known as Proposition 65), as being known to cause cancer and/or reproductive toxicity. If chemicals on this list are in products sold in California, the product label is required to provide clear and reasonable warning to that effect. As required by California law, the result is that warnings are applied to products which contain Prop 65-listed chemicals, where such are listed as ingredients on the product's Material Safety Data Sheet and/or label, regardless of where they are sold.

Full information on this law, a current list of chemicals and other resources can be found on Californiaís Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessmentís website http://www.oehha.org/prop65.html

cinderblockstudios
11-08-2014, 01:44 PM
It's not less pigment it's different ones. Anything labeled as "hue" (such as hooker's green hue), is a mix of pigments. There are also alternative pigments that can recreate a similar color, but usually isn't not quite the same. Both companies use very high pigment loads in their professional grade products, so there's not need to be concerned about that.