PDA

View Full Version : How can I get this color?

Gina dada
11-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Which colours will you mix to get the shadow color of this skull (eye cavity and mouth) I am studying painting and colour by myself and don't know exactly what to use. I guess some raw umber and purple...

what colors would you use to get it?

BeachBumBill
11-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Gina,
I have been using the Golden Paint Mixer app on their website. I have been using Photoshop to get the RGB of a particular spot (eyedropper tool) from an image and I suspect that other apps will do the same.

Open the image in PShop - then choose the eyedropper tool, click on the spot that you desire and in the palette will appear the RGB, CMYK or Hues value. Note: this is for one particular pixel and you should try several around the spot that you want the info on to get a range of values.

Open the Golden website and Mixer app and then key in that RGB (or other) value into the numerics boxes, press Mix the paint and presto, there is your mix of Golden paints (obviously). I have only used it for their Heavy Body acrylics, but even if you are working in oil that should give you some guidance at least.

Cheers,
BBB

opainter
11-06-2014, 09:12 PM
I think the following would work pretty well:

Paynes gray (for the upper part of the background)
Burnt umber (for the lower part)
Titanium white, tinted or glazed with varying amounts of Paynes gray, burnt umber

Lobke Spain
11-06-2014, 09:21 PM
There seem to be parts in that painting that are darker than raw umber. I think I would employ black here and there in my mixtures, some part are truly dark. Especially around the mouth area, extremely dark.

Patrick1
11-07-2014, 02:19 AM
With very greyed colors such as you see here, there is almost no limit to the color combinations that could have been used. But if the artist kept things simple, my first guess is that everything might be made from some black, white, and Unbleached/Buff Titanium or maybe small amounts of Raw Umber to give a slight yellowish/bone color.