PDA

View Full Version : Simple editing program?????

Daibhi
11-04-2014, 06:10 PM
I am so over Adobe and their need to make their software intrusive and resource hungry. There are so many unnecessary background services and processes that run with programs such as Photoshop that they slow your computer to a crawl at times.

I need a simple editing program that I can run when using my 3D softwares, PS keeps on crashing my other programs because of it's system sucking ways. When working in 3D you are already living on the edge as far as computer power goes but I need a 2D editing program for texturing so any suggestions on a basic program would be appreciated.

The commands I mostly use in PS are cut and paste, clone tool, select by color range, magic wand and eraser. So these would be a must for any replacement program.

Thanks in advance,
Daibhi.

Elainepsq
11-05-2014, 07:31 PM
I understand your concerns with Adobe. I was really upset with them a few years ago, but I'm kinda stuck since I use the programs for my graphic design business. When adobe went to the subscription only basis, I knew it would rock the boat, but also that it might be good for some of the smaller software companies to take over part of the market share. Have you tried Picasa? I haven't personally used it, but I know many people who do.

Daibhi
11-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Thanks Elaine.
I too have been using Photoshop for many years (actually since version 1 in 1990) and trust me the resource issue existed long before the Adobe Cloud based format was ever thought of.

As for Picasa, if I am not mistaken it is owned by Google now, who are just as bad as Adobe when it comes to background services running in their software. I did have it a few years ago but got rid of it when Google bought it.

I have been playing around with the Paint program that is part of Windows and although it lacks some of the desired features at least it doesn't crash the other programs that I have running.

LavenderFrost
11-06-2014, 12:09 PM
The only other program I know about is Gimp. I don't know if it meets your needs but have you tried it? At least it's free lol.

Yorky
11-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Try Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro (which is what I use).

Doug

Daibhi
11-06-2014, 03:30 PM
The only other program I know about is Gimp. I don't know if it meets your needs but have you tried it? At least it's free lol.

Thanks Michelle. I have tried Gimp in the past and found the interface difficult to get used to after using PS but I was using it for a completely different purpose ie; photo editing, so maybe it's time to give it another try. Like you say it's free so it cost nothing to try.

Daibhi
11-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Try Photoshop Elements or Paintshop Pro (which is what I use).

Doug

Thanks Doug.
I actually have an old (and I do mean old) version of PSP laying around somewhere. It was one of the really early versions so it may be perfect for what I need, if it runs with Windows 7 that is. I will dig it out and give it a go. Thanks for the memory jog.

Yorky
11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I have PSP X2 but I still prefer Psp9. Paintshop pro is very custimisable.

Here's my toolbar - all the funtions I use regularly. You can also record simple scripts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2014/1046-PaintshopProtoolbar.jpg

Doug

Daibhi
11-06-2014, 07:14 PM
I have PSP X2 but I still prefer Psp9. Paintshop pro is very custimisable.

Here's my toolbar - all the funtions I use regularly. You can also record simple scripts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2014/1046-PaintshopProtoolbar.jpg

Doug

Cool, so which OS are you running?

Yorky
11-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Windows7.

Doug

Daibhi
11-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Cool, I will start searching the mountain of crap in the spare room for the disc, might need a Sherpa to guide me back out though.

sword
11-15-2014, 03:34 PM
@Daibhi, I had similar complaints and went another route that has been free of all frustrations. I have an AMD motherboard and FX-4100, 4-core, PSU with 8 GB RAM and external optical DVD drive. A downloaded copy of Linux FatDog from distrowatch.com and burned to DVD-RW has Gimp_2.8.10 is *very fast* and stable. Similar DVDs that might be of interest are KaOS with Krita, ArtistX, Uberstudent and Dreamstudio. The KaOS philosophy is in direct response to bloat and overload of most programs. Let me know if you want details. Cheers

kdd
11-21-2014, 04:36 PM
sorry, but there is no such animal.

if you want a program with support as close as your email inbox, then gimp is the program for you. it's a free cross-platform photoshop alternative for windows and mac. http://www.gimp.org/

there is also a book, "grokking the gimp". the html version is available as a free download. url: http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/Grokking_the_GIMP.html and of course, there are forums.

there are extensions that can be added to extend the functionality of the program.

hope this helps.

cheers,
dwain