PDA

View Full Version : Macaw Portrait in Oil Pastel

jaisjewels
10-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Hello! This is my first post on Wet Canvas. I have been a visitor here for quite some time though. I've spent a long time settling into a medium I am comfortable with after I returned to art, and I now use oil pastels and colored pencils. I wanted to share an oil pastel portrait of a Macaw that I have just completed. This is an 8x10 on mat board. I hope you like it!

http://www.michelejanine.com/p/a6.jpg

http://www.michelejanine.com/p/a6closeup.jpg

E-J
10-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Your first post! Cool. Welcome to the Pastels forum. Your macaw is excellent ... you will soon be exchanging tips and tricks with Mo and Sue and our other resident oilies :)

jaisjewels
10-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Thank you for the welcome! I recently read some posts by Mo, who does awesome work. :) I wish I could figure out how to get my image to actually appear in my post instead of showing links. I followed the img tag instructions, and also tried attaching the image, but neither worked.

Dyin
10-02-2003, 04:43 PM
oooh, I just got called a resident oily!!!:eek: :D Tis true lol!
Welcome to WC and the pastel forum!!! Glad you de-lurked and am doubly glad for another OP artist around here! So if you've been lurking you must know how we thrive on details!!! Which OPs did you use...did you use turps or anything? Your macaw looks wonderful...and was nice to see a close up. The uploader is easy to use btw...it's above where you type your post or reply, in the same row as My WC! button....you just browse for where you stored your jpeg of 500 pixels or less and then upload, copy the URL link that comes up and paste it into your message.
Look forward to seeing more!

Dark_Shades
10-02-2003, 05:10 PM
very nice indeed jais....... lovely colours, especially like the eye, makes it really come alive.....

... welcome to the forum.... well done

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2003/12116-a61.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2003/12116-a6closeup1.jpg

Stoy Jones
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
That detail pic looks feather soft!! I love macaws and I like how your piece turned out. Amazing and quite inspiring. Welcome!

Stoy

jaisjewels
10-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! :) Dyin, thanks for the instructions for the uploader - I will do that next time. And thanks to Dark_Shades for posting my image here for me.

I used the oil pastels available here where I live - I have 2 brands I use - Loew Cornell and Mungyo. I've read about the different recommended brands by other artists, and plan on ordering some as soon as I can, so I can try those too.

I don't use any turps because of toxicity and odors. I can't be around anything toxic and even if it's not toxic but has a strong odor or fume, it still bothers me.

I do blend a base layer with - of all things - cooking oil. Just a tiny bit of it, most which is rubbed off on my paper plate palette before I put my paintbrush (i.e. paper towel!) to the board. LOL I usually only use the oil to mix with the pastels on sections which are smooth - in this case that was the beak and skin area around the eye. And the background as well. On the rest of the painting I just used the oil pastel sticks and a lot of my little paper towel paintbrushes. :)

Thanks for the nice comments on this piece. Although I have done many, this was the first one I felt was worthy of sharing here among so many other wonderful artists!

sundiver
10-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Your macaw is lovely, and I look forward to seeing more from you.
Interesting that you use cooking oil. I've used baby oil before, but only on thick paper.
I'd like to hear how you like the pastels you use- I've seen them here an there and wondered about them.
I guess I've become an "oily" too, since the dust of the softies started bothering me, although I go back to them occasionally.

Mo.
10-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jaisjewels

I used the oil pastels available here where I live - I have 2 brands I use - Loew Cornell and Mungyo. I've read about the different recommended brands by other artists, and plan on ordering some as soon as I can, so I can try those too.

I don't use any turps because of toxicity and odors. I can't be around anything toxic and even if it's not toxic but has a strong odor or fume, it still bothers me.

I do blend a base layer with - of all things - cooking oil. Just a tiny bit of it, most which is rubbed off on my paper plate palette before I put my paintbrush (i.e. paper towel!) to the board. paper towel paintbrushes. :)

Hi Michele, it's good to see another OP artist Welcome to you...... I love macaws and parrots...well all birds... you have captured the intelligent look of the macaw and the alert cheeky expression here so well.. I love this painting. :clap::clap:

I must say I've not heard of the brand of pastels you are using, would love to know more about them, are they artist quality?

If using turps affects you, try a drying medium such as Liquin, which is for oil paints, but works very well with OP's, just a small dab on your paintbrush is all that is needed, and I think better than using cookingoil or baby oil, because any oil will lengthen the drying time of the pastels... you can buy odourless turps you know, I'd be lost without my turps, because it enables me to produce a variety of effects.

Keep posting, your work is so good.

Mo.:)

jaisjewels
10-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks Mo. I admire your work very much and appreciate the nice comments on my Macaw.

The grade of pastels of these two is student grade. I will try the product you mentioned next time I go to the store - I do believe I remember seeing it there. My OP's don't take long to dry at all, however I think that's because of the lower grade they are.

kimo
10-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Beautiful macaw!! I love bird pics. I have 2 parrots, a severe macaw and an african grey. I've been doing colored pencil stuff since february. I have been thinking about mixing pastels with colored pencil. I bought some pastel pencils to play around with. Any tips??

jaisjewels
10-03-2003, 06:59 AM
Kimo - thanks for your comments! When I use the colored pencil with the oil pastels, I usually only use it in the tiny detail areas, like the eye or a corner here and there. Sometimes I have created a background color wash with the oil pastels to cover a large area, waited for that to dry out fairly good, and then I would go over it with the colored pencils. I haven't tried pastel pencils. If you try them, I would love to know what you think of them.

Ead
10-03-2003, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am new here too but found it a good place to be around.

Your macaw is very beautiful. I can almost touch the softness of the fur. Looking forward to seeing more of your paintings.

Ead

Rieko
10-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Your macaw looks fantastic! Great colors and composition, too. I just drop in this forum sometimes because I like "playing" around oil pastel, too. Excellent job!

kimo
10-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Michele - how long does it take for the oil pastels to dry out sufficiently. Are you talking about pastels that you blended using the cooking oil, or do regular oil pastels require drying time as well?

I have a book called the "color pencil solution book" that talks about using pastels with colored pencil. Seems like a natural combination to me. I love colored pencil but get frustrated when I can blend like I would like to. You have achieved a wonderful softness with the feathers with the pastels. But yes, the CP is awesome for those tiny details!

jaisjewels
10-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks Ead and Rieko for your nice comments!

Kimo, my paintings are sprayed as soon as I complete them with a light coating of gloss. That dries within a couple of hours, and the pastel under them is secure and dry to the touch at that point.

meowmeow
10-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Welcome! Your macaw is wonderful...you should have a good time here hanging out with the other oily people.
I'm not oily myself...I tend to be dry and flaky! :D

Sandy