PDA

View Full Version : Lady in the red skirt

parikk
11-03-2014, 01:13 AM
Here is my recent work after a year. I feel my details are just not enough, this is a 8x10 canvas. Does anyone else feel so? I just cannot get finer details with the brush I have. Any suggestions and comments would help

Thanks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2014/1189060-image.jpg

artbymdp
11-03-2014, 02:03 AM
The soft edges, bold colors and unusual image work well for the painting. It is most unique. I do think you need to work on the shoulders and neck of the woman which make it appear she has no head. Maybe take a lesson from good ol' Magritte and extend the size of the umbrella to encompass the area of her head and neck?

Ferlian
11-03-2014, 04:27 AM
What a wonderful concept and color scheme! I agree with what artbymdp wrote about the neck. I do not think that you do not have enough detail (looking for example at the sofa or knees). Maybe you get this impression because the background shows within the highlighted area a very uniform rythm of trees with branches pointing to the left, all branching off at the same angle and height. There is roughly the same spacing between the trees. This does a great job at preventing the background from being chaotic but you could add a little variation if you want the impression of more detail.

Ferlian

asmith38
11-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Cool painting! I like it! I agree, it looks like she has a very long neck and no head.

solonite
11-03-2014, 07:06 AM
nice mood set by this painting

Charlie's Mum
11-03-2014, 09:05 AM
There is so much I like about this - colour and lighting focus on girl and skirt - lovely!
I agree about the neck/head and agree with Ferlian about the regularity of the trees ... repetition is good but add variety - in size, spacing and tone and colour - adds interest!

You mention detail and brush - just one brush? Maybe you need some springier, synthetic rounds for detail? By detail do you mean sharpness and cleaner lines?

But after all this - you have a unique vision, don't lose it!

gaykir
11-03-2014, 11:28 AM
I love this! My only crit would be the neck. I think it's wonderful as it is otherwise. The concept is great - the open umbrella and the very formal seating is terrific!

chammi kaiser
11-03-2014, 11:41 AM
I really enjoyed this painting. You have had some good advice so nothing to add there. The colours are wonderful.

LavenderFrost
11-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Good advice here already. I love that bench. If you want more detail you need small brushes, like #1 round and a script liner. Though your style here is very nice already.

parikk
11-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Thank you all for the feedback, I will definitely fix the umbrella to accommodate the head.

Hey Maureen yes I did mean sharpness and cleaner lines when I meant details. I am not really sure how big of a concern that is.

I guess in my head I think sharpness is not a concern only if you are doing an impressionist or post impressionist style work. So when I see faint or blurry edges it sometimes bothers me. This is only when I look at the picture up close. Am I just being paranoid?

Dcam
11-03-2014, 04:21 PM
This is so unique. Love the mystery and your color mood is great.
Derek

Faded
11-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I like this a lot,a little tweaking to the head/neck and you'll have it.
-David