PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my paint palette

bunford
11-01-2014, 01:31 PM
I have just started investing in better quality paints to upgrade from student quality. I have also just been given a free Golden sample tub from my local art store. Below is the colours I have. What other colours would you recommend for a solid and diverse palette?

Titanium White - System3 Heavy Body
Hansa Yellow Medium - Golden
Ultramarine Blue - System3 Heavy Body
Pthalo Blue (Green Shade) - Golden Open
Pyrrole Red - Golden
Raw Sienna - Pebeo
Payne's Grey - Win sorry & Newton Artist
Mars Black - Winsor & Newton Artist

cinderblockstudios
11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Golden's Quinacradone Magenta is one of my favorite colors to paint with.

bunford
11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I have just bought two W&N artist acrylics in Perm Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Sienna.

Any other recommendations (ideally W&N or Liquitex paints as they are the ones locally available).

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I'd suggest a warm and cool of each primary - so lemon and cad yellow, Ult Bl and cerulean (different names in different makes!:rolleyes: and cad re and aliz crimson.
Then some earth colours - yellow ochre, sienna and umber (plus burnt of these if you wish).
These, with the tit white will give you plenty of mixing options.

Of course, after the basics, come all the delicious extras - like the magentas and the violets, turquoise and maybe some greens - but they're not strictly necessary (nice to have though!)

idylbrush
11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Would definitely like the way Maureen (Charlie's Mum) is thinking. Start with a balanced palette and work out from there.

wilfred
11-01-2014, 11:14 PM
As Maureen suggested, Violet, at least for me it is essential. This color is difficult to create by mixing primary colors (although possible with Ultramarine Blue mixed with Red... but can look a bit muddy), Violet mixed with White creates clean and beautiful shades of Lilacs and Lavanders. Just my 2 cents.

dceska93
11-02-2014, 01:14 AM
I have to agree with Wilfred. I have tried multiple times to mix violet, and the best I can come up is a muddy cloudy purple.

asmith38
11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
I read in one of my books that mixing magenta and blue gives a better violet than using red. Haven't tried it yet.

bunford
11-02-2014, 08:52 AM
So, my palette currently consists of:

Titanium White
Hansard Yellow Medium
Ultramarine Blue
Prussian Blue
Pthalo Blue (Green Shade)
Permanent Alizarin Crimson
Pyrrole Red
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Pale Olive Green
Payne's Grey
Mars Black

So, if I buy a Cad Yellow Light/Lemon yellow, Yellow Ochre, a Dioxazine Purple and a Burnt Umber, that will be a fairly complete and balanced palette?

PS - the Pale Olive is a bit random but works for Yarnell's advice in mixing it with Alizarin Crimson for the skin tone base, lightening it with white then.

Charlie's Mum
11-02-2014, 08:57 AM
How do you find the pthalo blue? I don't have that in my stock and wondered how easy it is to control?

bunford
11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
How do you find the pthalo blue? I don't have that in my stock and wondered how easy it is to control?

I find it very useful. I rarely ever use it alone though. I just find it useful to give cooler shades to things ( I have the green shade, not the red shade) when mixed a bit with another colour to notch it down a bit.

However, when mixing it is lethal. It is similar to alizarin crimson in that you only need a spot or otherwise it completely takes over a colour when mixed with something.

bunford
11-02-2014, 10:16 AM
What is Golden's Hansa Yellow Medium comparable to in regular paint names?

Is it more Cad Yellow Medium or brighter and more of a Lemon Yellow? I am yet to use it was just wondering.

idylbrush
11-02-2014, 10:27 AM
On your continer of pint there should be pigment number. Compare the two, if they are the same or close, that will tell the tale.

Cad yel med PY 35
Hansa yellow medium PY 1

When checking across brands, the pigment number is more reliable than the name. Even with the same name, the color can vary widely from tube to tube, manufacturer to manufacturer. In some ways it is still the wild west when dealing with pigment.

bunford
11-02-2014, 10:34 AM
It's PY73 on the Golden Hansa Yellow Medium and PY74 on my Golden Open Hansa Yellow Opaque. Just had a look at the W&N site and PY73 is their Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue and PY74 is their Azo Yellow Medium.

I guess I can get away with using this as Cad Yellows for now and buy a bright light/lemon yellow too if needed.

dceska93
11-02-2014, 11:07 AM
I read in one of my books that mixing magenta and blue gives a better violet than using red. Haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the advice, I will have to try this!!!!

Charlie's Mum
11-02-2014, 11:29 AM
W&N lemon yellow is one of my most-used colours.:)PY3 ........ the tube is in the Finity range but their replacement range, Artists' colour should be the same ... the pigment # in their Galaria range is the same but not as strong! I bought the Galaria as I needed a lemon yellow and that was all I could get quickly.:(. For me, it's a lot cooler than the cadmiums.
However, when mixing it is lethal - that's what I thought!:lol:

DMSS
11-02-2014, 12:04 PM
If you want a rich, high chroma violet, Ultramarine Blue (PB29) and Quinacridone Magenta (PR122) will do the trick.