PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost November 2014

*Deirdre*
11-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.
I'm sure Robert will be along any minute, but, as you know, I promised him I would start it off if he was a tad late

Norma46
11-01-2014, 12:50 PM
November may be a challenge. I am in the process of purchasing a "winter" residence in Florida and may have some distractions due to inspections and settlement processes. The good news is that when I go south in December this year, I will have my own space to work and can leave some things there so that I don't have car overload when leaving or returning. I will continue with my portrait class and hope to finish my first "self portrait" this week. My goal is to continue to try for at least one credible pastel each week, but also want to get back to oils for a few paintings. I love the Thanksgiving holiday and always host Thanksgiving dinner. I am also hosting the scavenger hunt starting November 9, so will try to be both active participant and commenter over that week.
Norma

Nick7
11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Norma, your goal sounds so positive :) I really like that.

My goal is to frame at least one of my paintings. I was told that it's not right to talk nicely about my own work. I really need to grow a thicker skin and not be ashamed to say I like some of my own paintings. Framing something mine is so bold that it's almost a public statement and it makes me uneasy, but I really need to get away from that bitter person and do it.

Other than that...paint and draw ;)

robertsloan2
11-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Purr thanks, Deirdre. Ya got me this time! I got distracted by Johannes class and forgot today was the day. Whoops! That happens, still get that fibro fog if I am trying to concentrate on something.

Norma, sounds intense and rewarding. Glad you're getting your own space and get a place away from winter. Great goals, ambitious month!

Nick, whoever said that was not encouraging you to become an artist. Yay for framing your painting! It's a bold statement all right, show everyone that comes over how well you paint and how serious you are about art. Go for it.

You have to be able to say nice things about your art to be an artist and enter contests or sell your work. Self promotion is part of the life. It's professional. People discourage in a lot of indirect ways for a multiplicity of motives.

I've got one goal this November.

Write a 50,000 word novel by the end of the month.

Besides that I'll more or less keep up daily art or artish, but I think I'll take that as "daily creative activity" and count days I wrote as good ones even if I don't also draw. Days I manage both are special.

Today was Johannes Vloothuis pastel class and that's the one thing I did for the day, have not started my novel yet, though do know what the opener is. I may be getting a late start because I'm falling asleep instead of writing it though.

Mij
11-02-2014, 04:32 AM
Thanks for starting us off Deirdre.

Good goals Norma and nice that you have somewhere to go to avoid the winter. I don't mind the winter, in fact I like it as it kills off all the flies etc. As long as I am warm!

Well done Nick, and I do hope you can frame a picture of yours and show it here. I frame those of mine I like and hang them on the wall in my computer room. SWMBO does likewise.

Robert, you have set your self some goal. You are a writer so how do you go about this so many words a day or what?

I have some goals this month as I am in the Christmas card exchange, I have set out to do a different card for each participant and there is twelve to consider. These need to be done this month really as they are all overseas to me. I cannot post them here otherwise it would spoil the surprise at the other end.
I wish everybody good luck with the November goals.
Jim

robertsloan2
11-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Awesome project, Jim! I don't think I could keep up with that, not this year. Maybe another. Depends on how much strength I gain. But if I did, they'd all be done in December on account of the novel.

How the site recommends it is to divide the 50,000 word minimum and get at least 1,667 words a day. I did 2,083 in the first two scenes. My first scene wasn't long enough to knock out the day's words. If I get ahead early on, then when I get days I didn't write I still don't fall behind. I sort of "prepay" sick days ahead of the schedule.

Last year was very bad with a large number of bad days. I barely made it and the book wasn't very good. This year at least I started on the first, which is something. I've got some momentum now. Tomorrow has not got anything else scheduled, so I'll probably finish the chapter and might keep going to pick up a virtual day or two ahead.

However, because I had Johannes class as soon as I got up and then home care till six I was seriously exhausted. Taking a bath will do that, so will eating a good meal. I slept till ten, woke up with enough time to do the day's words. I took one of my pills and was able to do it before midnight.

It didn't come out well but it's just rough draft. I remind myself the first draft is just to tell what happened. It's actually easier toward the beginning when I don't have as much to keep track of, but the important thing is not being distracted or interrupted. Lay it down too long and I have to read back to the beginning to get into the book again and keep going where I left off.

Conversely, if I don't put it down and do some long days working on it, I could be done in as little as a week and set other goals for the month or write multiple books. Don't know how this year will go. Setting just one relatively easy goal this month is important so I don't stress on goals.

Judibelle
11-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Good Goals, Everyone. Lots to work on there....

Mine are simple again this month...Complete at least 2 paintings...anything more will be 'gravy'.

Good luck to us all!

robertsloan2
11-03-2014, 04:26 AM
Yay for a simple goal, Judi! Looking forward to seeing them. Spotlight is inspiring this month too.

Made my words for the 2nd - before midnight I posted 4,533 total. Still ahead a bit, by their projections I'll finish November 26th. It's a good thing. Whether I paint too is up in the air though I have been so inspired - it's an attractive distraction!

robertsloan2
11-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Well, WOW! Two chapters done today. Way ahead at 9,397 words. This was the big day that the novel took off and I found out what the supernatural is. My female serial killer just turned antihero instead, she's very cool and full of character. She's headed toward being Buffy instead, hunting the monsters.

ligerwolve
11-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Ok so November-December goes as following;

Finish my large tiger pastel before the deadline.
Finish my scratchboard wolf.
Complete a commission piece of a frog, dragon fly.
Complete a pastel commission of a puppy.
Paint something for my brother for Christmas.
Sketch up a leopard, snow leopard, and clouded leopard to complete hopefully before Christmas.
Start on a logo design for a friend.
Email/post and approach some galleries.
Start some new boxes ready for 2015.
Set up some profiles on some different sites to increase my online presence.

On top of that I'm organising myself a birthday dinner, having a faux Christmas with my brother and his family and just get ready for Christmas with my own kids!

Nick there are some great youtube talks by Jason Horejs or Xanadu Gallery you should watch. Lots of good info for artists about self promotion. He makes some really good points that might help you feel more comfortable talking about your art.

Sounds like everyone else will be busy too. :clap:

robertsloan2
11-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Wow, that is a huge goals list, go you! Love the big cats. Can't wait to see the big cats. Purring, or should it be affectionate chuffing at you to work on the big cats there, they sound wonderful. Wolf's cool too. Lots of great projects.

Yesterday was art, a quick little sketch of a hotel doorway on the way to vote. Had to use the walker to go to polling place because forgot to charge the power scooter. Whoops!

Today went in to the clinic, second day going out in a row, still on the walker. Had to wait 2 hours for the van to pick me up. Saw actual doctor. Did five pages of sketches waiting for the van, now totally exhausted. So maybe it should have been Daily Writing Or Art Or Artish, if I count it like that I've kept up. Just not done both in the same day and with the pain don't think tonight's the night. Glad I got ahead before I wiped out.

Mij
11-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks for that explanation Robert. Much as I thought then. The best of luck with it.

Hiya Judi, I like the keeping it simple. Here is to a lot of gravy then :thumbsup:.

Janet, what a lot to get done this month! Let us hope you can get around to all of them. It sounds as if you will be in the studio from morn 'til night with all of those . We will cheer you on - from the sidelines of course :wave:.

I have managed to find six of those scenes I want to use for my cards but I need to paint six more.
I keep putting it off :D.
Jim

Nick7
11-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Lingerwolf, thank you, I will look up the video clips!

robertsloan2
11-06-2014, 06:46 PM
So easy to slip back into daily art. My home care worker came to do the laundry though, so I didn't want to get all wrapped up in the book before she comes in to help me with a bath and cleaning up. Better to just seize the moment and do a small pastel sketch, not too heavy or overworked.

getdusty
11-06-2014, 08:37 PM
My goal...two words : more painting! (of course) and to that end I've signed up for four additional pastel classes with a different local artist. First one is tomorrow; can't wait.
Everyone else seems to have a good handle on what they want to accomplish this month.

robertsloan2
11-07-2014, 03:28 AM
Wow, Peg! That sounds fantastic, so stimulating. Can't wait to see what you do in them, it sounds like so much fun!

Today was the best - both painting and writing! 2,000 words or so more, now up to 11,482 and today "par" was 10,000 so I am still ahead of par, still have some elbow room despite two days of just sketching. And a pastel posted and matted and hung. I must be getting energy from somewhere!

This despite a ludicrous amount of sleep last night and today, didn't get up till one in the afternoon and then napped after dinner for three hours. Heading to bed again too. But I did it for the day. Still resting up from going out two days in a row. Tomorrow will either be awful or I'll pull out of it.

getdusty
11-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Went to the first "additional" pastel class and it was great. She is focusing on still life and set one up with apples, a pear and a bowl. Of course I didn't finish it, but am pretty pleased with the portion I completed. My apples actually look like they have volume...who knew? and more exciting is that I did most of it without much correction, mainly a gentle reminder to "compare the value between ___ and ___" or "what color do you see" in a particular spot...interesting how each of us saw slight variations in color and it depended in part on our viewpoint...where we were sitting and even how tall we are...lol All in all, very satisfying and I was a bit unsure about doing still life.

robertsloan2
11-08-2014, 12:33 AM
That sounds so great! It makes sense everyone saw different color nuances. Reflected color and shadow shapes would be different at every angle, local color is only one of several things that affect color. I remember during Charlie's class there was a day I wore an orange t-shirt and looked at some white things on a white windowsill. All of a sudden every white highlight on the molding and objects was a soft orange-pink while the shadows were blue-violet from daylight outside. The effect was stunning. Nothing was white but those intersecting colors still read naturally as white. I saw it again later on with the white cat that's in my signature, blue from the window side and warm pinkish glow from an incandescent light deeper in the room. Cat still looks white to me but he was a maze of colors.

I painted today and I need to do another section in my novel. I should jump into it soon, sooner the better. I'll post again or edit it in when I have a number. That's the great thing about Nanowrimo - it's quantity, not quality, the next scene could even be cut if I don't like it in the final book but it's that much closer to done!

robertsloan2
11-08-2014, 03:34 AM
I did a short scene and got distracted by some research. It's all right though, still keeping the pace. I got so far ahead that these slack times are not a problem. Still did both art and writing today.

Mij
11-08-2014, 05:12 AM
Hello Peg. Your class sounds fine. It also sounds as if you are profiting from them as well. That is encouraging. I hope the remainder are similar.

Hi Robert, you managed some art as well as the writing, that can only be good. Is there somewhere you put your book when completed that we can have a read?

I should be doing two images every ten days but have done none so far. Tomorrow we are out. Perhaps I'll get some done today :crossfingers:.
Jim

robertsloan2
11-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Sorry, Jim, I don't post them online because I do plan eventually to self publish them. Which ones first is still up in the air of course. I'm still fondest of the saber tooth cat nature novel, it's a happy memory. Hope you can get some painting done today!

robertsloan2
11-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Artish on the 8th, all about taking Johannes Vloothuis class as usual. Ruminating on the book, need to put some thought into it and break a slump. Been watching "Forensic Files" for ideas for other killers to run into, getting some and mashing them up of course. Also for tropes to mangle.

robertsloan2
11-10-2014, 12:56 AM
A little more progress on the book, 12,692 now. I had to stop and do some plotting in order to keep going. Now I'm back to working on it and need to stay up tonight to do so. I am more likely to live on a night schedule while writing.

robertsloan2
11-10-2014, 09:01 AM
15,675 words. I am all caught up now and 675 words into today's writing. The daily goal is 1,667 so in another thousand words I'm done for the day and going into extra. It's going well.

I did watch a lot of forensic crime stories to get a feel for the real cases and that helped, it also helped me understand my supernatural villain a bit better. I should say evil, I haven't gotten to an actual central villain and there might not be just one.

robertsloan2
11-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Did it! Back on track, caught up and did today's scene too. All caught up and a little bit ahead. I can keep the pace now. Whew!

ligerwolve
11-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Well I'm just popping my head in before bed (its 1.30am here) to see how everyone is travelling. I have almost finished the tigers. Deadline is this Friday. Robert I will post up a pic of it when its finished if you like?

Thanks Jim :) I'm doing my best to work through them. Technically its my Nov-Dec list so I have two months. Some have earlier deadlines than others. Once I finish this tiger I can wrap up the wolf I have started and get going on the two commission pieces, plus my brothers (I'm seeing him early December so need his done by then). If I do all that this month will have been a success!

Mij
11-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Well done Robert, to have accomplished both writing and art is really really good.

Well done to you as well Janet. You have been busy. You have both outdone me.
So far I have only drawn one scene and that was after someone else's efforts. I have another five to go :crossfingers:.
jim

robertsloan2
11-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Oh Janet, please do post the tigers when you're done! I love tigers and can't wait to see them. I'm excited about those.

I did well and fell behind again, got distracted, also ruminating. This comes in fits and starts but I know I can catch up too. I just need to relax and jump head first into it again. I am starting to get confidence about my on and off pace and it's hard to switch gears. I might write today, but this post is reporting that I didn't yesterday so I Need to do two days' worth. Not a problem. I will probably finish ahead of the end of the month anyway.

What I need is to get deep into it and let myself run with it. Just slam it out in a long day when I get a good day.

robertsloan2
11-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Finally got going and added a bit over 3,000 words to the novel, it's now 20,225 and should be 26,666 to reach 50,000 on the end of the month. So I need to do 6,445 more at least to be fully caught up. Fortunately, Sundays do not actually get any distraction at all and I might be able to stay focused.

This one is taking more rumination time to figure out what's going on and what will happen next. It almost turned into a trashy action movie type thriller but that was too cliche, so I just made it turn strange and brought the supernatural back in. Good thing I figured out what the supernatural is in this one during the big long pause. Hehehe. I broke a rule of fantasy and paranormal fiction. The first guess any character makes about what is going on turned out to be wrong. Finding out what it really is - that's something different. I also just gave a lovely clue or two to a knowledgeable audience - which is not the average horror reader or filmgoer so much as someone who took the right bit of anthropology. Mwuhahahaha! I'm also breaking an ugly stereotype in the process.

ligerwolve
11-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Ok here you are Robert. There are a couple of bits Id like to tweak but I am very happy with it. Probably one of my best to date.

So now I am working on the wolf and I hope I finish that by the end of the week. That doesn't leave me with too much time left this month but hopefully I make a good start on things.

ligerwolve
11-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Woops that looks a bit big, sorry about that.

blr2449
11-16-2014, 03:23 PM
It's beautiful! And so lifelike

getdusty
11-16-2014, 04:35 PM
That is beautiful! I can't imagine doing something like that...the detail and all.

Mij
11-16-2014, 05:00 PM
That should make a pleasant Sunday for you Robert with no distractions. I hope you manage the extra 600 words or so that you need.

Those are fine tigers Janet. They look so comfy all snuggled up together. You have done a very good job on them. :thumbsup:.

We went to see some when we had a pastel workshop with the wild animal artist Vic Bearcroft. The tigers were very interested in SWMBO and she in them until the keeper said they had her down as their first meal she was in her power chair!
Jim

robertsloan2
11-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Beautiful tigers! I love them! Janet, they are so beautiful. PURR and thank you for attaching them. You warm my heart with those glorious cats. I don't even see what you'd tweak, but you know what it is. They are so wonderful.

Jim - LOL great story! Yeah, I can just imagine. Hahaha... not 600 words, 6,000. I'm not sure I can catch up in one day. Need nap.

ligerwolve
11-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Thank you Barbara, Peg, Jim and Robert. :heart:

Peg I have an obsession with detail :lol: I just cant help myself!

Jim most of the big cats are like that. I'm sort of lucky that I stand just 4"11 so most big cats are interested in me. But the tiger at the front seems fascinated by my youngest. He has been watching her since he was a cub. At first I thought he was eyeing her off as a snack but he seems to just like her. He ignores other kids for her and even in the heat of the day when most big cats are comatose he will jump up and come to the front of the exhibit and chuff at her. So we are quite fond of him, and I have several nice reference photos I plan to paint.

Robert I think as artists we hold ourselves to such a high standard when no one else would. The tiger furthest back Id just like to play around with a bit more but I ran out of time. I'm not even sure I can pinpoint exactly what it is I want to do. Its good though it makes me want to strive harder to get better.

robertsloan2
11-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Chuffing is a friendly sound, cats do have social instincts and even the most solitary big cats can adapt to a social life if circumstances make that more effective. It's strange the way that works and might have something to do with how adaptable cats are.

Janet, it's funny. I don't hold myself to a high standard. I can't think of it like that. I would choke, stress out and be unable to paint.

That has to do with outside standards and growing up disabled. My childhood was like someone trying to hitch a tropical cat to a dog sled in Alaska. At best it turns into a messy fight and the sled doesn't go anywhere but a lot of dogs get bloody noses.

If I try to hold myself to a high standard, I will fail. It's that simple. Life happens and I'll fall behind because I got distracted when someone called or I did something else for an hour and that was the one good hour I got in the day, and I fall behind.

I'm facing that now with Nanowrimo. I chose a difficult genre - and did not manage to get caught up in one day. I put it down after a chapter break and bang, the weather got me. Did not pick it up again. I still got a good day though. At least it's moving forward. I just need a few more days like that in order to get caught up. I might get in another session tonight.

Last year was like this too, the thing I thought of as an easy cakewalk turned into a massive struggle because weather knocked me into a state of "I'm only fit to stare at TV shows on Netflix or post online." Complete with "Edit all posts about 8 times for length and staying intelligible."

To do my best I need to set achievable standards and never measure what I do against anyone else. Not set them high in relation to myself but make it really easy to get to the basic standard. Daily art used to be and sometimes is that easy since it includes a 1" square thumbnail of the same kind of pear I always draw or yet another cat gesture. I also have to be real and take all external situations into account when looking at my results.

I'll win this year because I don't drop Nanowrimo. It will take more tan one day of pushing myself to catch up to do it.

ligerwolve
11-17-2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks for sharing that insight Robert. I don't think we are so different. I would never compare myself to another artist either. Well I did. When I was a young adult and I did stop. Even with my ex husband who is also an artist. I stopped painting and just supported him. My personality is prone to that though. I refused to get my drivers license when I was young because other people wanted me to. There was pressure so instead of giving it a go I gave up any hope achieving that goal. These days though I like to think I'm a bit wiser and just purely appreciate other artists for who they are. I will only get as good as I am meant to be and there is always a bigger fish!

I do look at my art though and think, this could be better, I should have done it this way instead, will try that next time and so on. I create via trial and error so each painting I don't see it as bad exactly but another learning curve, another step closer. Not to anyone else's standard but my own and where I guess my journey will end. I don't have any idea in mind what that will be only that I acknowledge the journey so far and the progress I've made. That's why I describe myself as my biggest critic. Because I evaluate the good and the bad in each piece working out what I could do next.

I have had to learn to set achievable goals. Well and to be brave enough to set them! It has really only been the last couple of years I have decided to take the plunge and pursue my art the way I have always wanted. I still have days where I despair though and then I call my mother :lol: She keeps things in perspective.

I am impressed by your dedication to writing. I have been attempting to write my own novel (just a story I have had in my head since I was a teen) and it is not easy! Just getting the word count up is a challenge for me. Then again I write several chapters and then change my mind about some key point and re-write the whole lot again! When you do publish I would love to read what you have written.

Life often gets in the way doesn't it! Even with this last painting there were plenty of times where I really wanted to keep working but I had to get some sleep, or my knees/back were getting to sore or the kids would all come down sick. Its easy to be disheartened.

robertsloan2
11-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Oh, you are a Polisher! I've been starting to reevaluate some of the general advice I give and look at people's differences in method - that what's good for me isn't good for you but some things could help anyone. Sorting that out is really important since I blather so much on How To and love teaching.

It does get easy to be disheartened. Especially if I mistake the problem for laziness and it turns out to be Rumination. I did a chapter and hit another blank, another stuck point. Turns out in talking to my daughter about it that the reason is: the next scene is a Chase Scene. One gap in my novels is that mobility limts in real life even affected my fantasies. My heroes plot, scheme, follow clues, figure things out, get in fights and confrontations and do derring do - but a weird gap in all of them was no chase scenes. They'll turn and fight rather than run. I noticed that and decided to correct it. Most people actually like chase scenes and I even like them in other people's works.

But now I'm hanging out in "never did this" territory and at least it's a car chase. I can go back to what it felt like driving really fast when I was young and had my VW beetle, which thought it was a race car in disguise. I have a few relevant memories, enough to get the feel of it.

I'm starting to realize that there's a big range of method from "plan and meticulous step by step workmanship" to "freewheeling alla prima get it down and move on to the next." I've enjoyed polishing and puttering in the past, but I'm moving in the direction of alla prima. Pastel was always the medium where I could work fast and get instant results, so I'm likely to keep getting looser and more confident while working out things like learning anatomy or structure in sketches. I've recently discovered sketching and love it.

At the same time, a whole lot of what I've done in the past couple of years looks like I'm building up both a body of small works and a good body of preliminary works that I could later recombine into more complex large studio paintings that take more than one session to complete. I didn't realize I was doing it, but I flip through my pastel sketches and journal pages and there it is - I could use this to expand on.

The past few years I've been ferociously studying and improving, as if I was in school. I know that once I switch over to old age Social Security, being able to sell won't mean having to draw a hard line between business and life - if I'm short on food or need new pants I won't be sitting there with money in hand that has to go strictly into business expenses and still wear the holey ones. That gets frustrating, more than I thought it would be, but it also gives me a time table.

It's not that long, two to five years depending on how patient I am, before art once again becomes what closes the gaps if I'm tight and what puts me ahead when I've got goals. My writing has always been that serious a goal, but I'm also finding the two fusing. Things I learn in art improve my writing. Things I learned in writing come out in my art. I find myself transposing things like pacing and eye paths and showing the story of the painting.

I'm not sure if my goal is illustration any more, but if I get good enough ta rendering to do what James Gurney did in Dinotopia, at some point some story will demand that many pictures and I'll do it as a single work of art and writing. It'll be what it is when I get skilled enough at both, but that one the pictures will be integral to the story as much as the story makes the pictures make sense. I have no idea what the subject will be though, he already did dinosaurs the way I wanted to. Might be cats though!

I got in a couple of sketches testing the Winsor & Newton Watercolour Markers and will fill that page and write the review soon. Today's art and maybe writing.

Turpintine45
11-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys,
I am still here but spent most of October across the pond visiting the homeland and the beginning of November recovering from it!!!. I did get one small oil painting done this month and am working on a pastel Christmas card so getting back at it finally! While in the UK I went to lunch with our talented Ruthie. She is such a lovely lady and we had lunch in a neat pub overlooking the Broads on a very windy day, the water was really scudding! I also got to visit her home and meet her hubby and dog. Nice family. I had a great time looking up old school friends and relatives including my wonderful Aunt who is 106 years young. A very special lady.
Hopefully I will get my card completed and some more art done before the month is out.

Small oil, 5x5
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2014/216461-IMG_3622R_Small.JPG

Robert good luck with your writing, and stay healthy.

Janet Beautiful Tigers!

Jim Hi.

robertsloan2
11-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Jen, wow! That painting is so gorgeous! Congratulations!

Mij
11-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi there JANET. Yes I'll join you there because I am my worst critic er... next to SWMBO of course :lol:. I was interested in art but always explained that I dragged my right brain kicking and screaming to the left so that I could follow the other interest of mine, motors. It served me well and cannot grumble at all. After all it allows me to follow art now that I am retired.

Sorry Robert about the 600/6000 error in typing just another zero out! :angel:

I do hope you are able to finish it.

Hi there Jen. So you have been over here and enjoyed our lovely weather :lol:. It was nice for you to meet up with Ruthie again also to meet her Hubby and dog. I am glad you had an enjoyable time.

I am trying to get to the Christmas cards but have carpets that need cleaning and whilst the furniture is moved it is about time that some of the walls should be decorated. De-cluttering, cleaning and redecorating oh dear a man's work is never done.
Jim

ligerwolve
11-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Robert I have always been intrigued by the idea of telling a story purely with images. In college I did a book of paintings to tell a small part of my story. I still have them and love flipping through them! I can never decide if I want to write just a straight novel or create a graphic novel (or even a series of comic stories). The art lures me back :lol:

Usually when I write small stories I just write it in one go but with my novel the story is so special to me I am constantly wanting to make it better. So I might have written a 1/3 and then I think oh no wait I could make the second chapter better and because important aspect change it means a total rewrite :lol: I might go to my grave never completing it!

My art is my main work so lately I haven't had as much time to work on it.

Jen that's a beautiful painting, what an adventure you have had! Oh and thank you :)

:lol: Jim. My other passion is animals. So I spent a lot of time building my career in that direction. On the side I was always painting. I supported my then husband so he could pursue his art career and tutored art for a bit of extra cash. Then I had kids, husband got sick and then we split so working long hours with animals was out so I decided to throw myself in the deep end and pursue art as a career.

Well this week I have spent some time working on sketches, a little bit of the wolf and just drumming up business. Pretty slow week but I will kick myself into gear and get moving tomorrow.

robertsloan2
11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Janet, that would be awesome. I'd love to see you do it someday, either an illustrated novel or graphic novel.

Jen, love your oil painting. It's intense, painterly, saturated and powerful. Love the color harmony, very rich and effective.

Jim, you've got a great turn of phrase, beating up your right brain and now I suppose turning the tables to kick the left and revive the right! Glad that turned out well.

Yesterday managed 1,550 words or so and did an artwork, on the day of my clinic appointment. The art was almost an accident. A cloud effect that I couldn't photograph was gorgeous, so I sketched it fast and that turned out to be one of the all time best watercolors of my life. I wasn't trying for a good painting, just a preliminary sketch. So maybe now I've got a new process for watercolor painting.

Just try to do a preliminary sketch and don't worry about whether it's any good. Don't plan it, do it as fast as possible and don't look down. It will get really funny if I get to where I'm putting pieces in competitions and wind up submitting my preliminary sketches because they're better than the finished paintings. lol

That doesn't happen as much in pastels but it makes sense to me in watercolor.

It rained. This is kicking arthritis into high gear again. Just like last year, climate is knocking me out. I might try to save it by switching projects to head smack into my comfort zone and write the sort of thing that makes me happy instead of trying to scare myself.

Judibelle
11-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Hi Jen...Welcome back! Lovely painting, beautifully done.
Rob, Janet, and Jim....thinking of you and your 'projects'...wishing you well with all...

I haven't done a lick of painting this month. Did get one framed for a show at our local library gallery next month. It's a community art show, so many participants. Also that weekend is the local Studio Art Tour. Many of our local artisans have 'studios'....I have a basement, which passes for a studio, but is not accessible from the front.
So I have never participated. However, this year, I was invited (again) and they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer....so I'm committed to provide a few works to show at the local Roadside Store, with a couple of others who have no studio. Have to get a few 'new ones' (from the last year) framed and ready to go...by Dec, 5

robertsloan2
11-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Judibelle, that's so exciting! I hope you get some sales at the Roadside Store. Your paintings have been improving so much over the years. Wonderful works!

Today I broke the block and the funk to smithereens. Starting around midnight, I set aside the difficult Horror book till later and concentrated on writing something goofy jst for my own pleasure. The title is literally Pure Self Indulgent Tripe. Fiction bordering on journal as I throw in some of my past traumas and then do larger than life novel drama around it. So far it's sort of working, at last something like fanfic. The biggest thing about it is that this is the first really long immersive writing session I've had this year.

Not counting the horror novel's 21,210 words, I have 37,321 words of Pure Self Indulgent Tripe and will very easily finish that over the weekend. Then it won't matter if Fear This takes more than a month to complete. The difficult project can be a slow one. The easy simple comfort zone thing is actually making my happy and providing the annual vacation of the mind I always look at this event for.

Maybe I'll do something more serious next April or June. Tey have events at other times of the year and November weather is a good time to Just Take It Easy. for once. Tripe is fun. I may even be able to rewrite some of it into decent story, or use some of the notes in it to create one.

Mij
11-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Hello Janet, I understand about animals. I spent a lot of time on a farm when I was younger so quite understand their foibles and personalities. I would not go near the bull or boar :angel:. I do not have any inspiration to paint them though. You do such a lovely job of them. It would be interesting to see your book .

Hi Judi. So you have not managed to paint a lick all month so far? I hope too that you get some sales from the roadside stall.

Hi there Robert, writing is an art form so you have managed some this month. Well done even if you say it is tripe. It achieves something as you say a holiday for the mind- nice turn of phrase that.

I have done little art itself. I have decorated my room, four walls with skirting, and a bay window. Boy was it hard! I think if any more is required then I'll have to get somebody in. I'm too unbalanced these days to do any stepladder work or to get down too low. My arthritis has reared it's head in my hands after putting together a new office chair and taking apart the old one for the recycling centre.
This month is fast drawing to a close and still have not finished de-cluttering/redecorating my room yet. I am perched on a small secretaries chair typing this with the monitor and keyboard squeezed onto the top of a three drawer unit in a spare room, loaded to the gunnels with furniture and 'stuff' which badly needs sorting. Heeeeeeelllllp!:eek:
A bridge in my mouth gave way and dropped out so a visit to the dentist has been booked for this afternoon!:o I'll lose a good few hours over that.
jim

ligerwolve
11-24-2014, 08:37 AM
:lol: Jim. When I was very young I stalked a bull till I was able to reach out and touch him. Of course he noticed me then and chased me all the way back to the farm house (a friends). I remember leaping down the drop, skidding past the cars and into the house. Standing with my heart beating in my ears waiting for him to come thundering through the wall :lol: Lucky he couldn't leap down the drop!

My mum was always worried about me. I did work experience in high school at a zoo. She warned/begged me NOT to touch the animals. The first night when I called home I told he all about the tigers/lions/pythons I had got my hands on :lol: Lucky most animals seem to like me as much!

Well I got most of the outlines done so now I'm starting on the next lot. I have set the wolf aside for the time being so I can work on some of the more pressing pieces.

ligerwolve
11-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Yuck about the dentist. Not a good way to spend an afternoon!

Decluttering is no fun either but the end result is usually pretty satisfying.

Mij
11-24-2014, 07:53 PM
Yuck about the dentist. Not a good way to spend an afternoon! Especially after he tells you HOW MUCH it will cost and then spending 40 harrowing minutes and two injections to deaden the pain removing the old bridge.

Decluttering is no fun either but the end result is usually pretty satisfying. Yes, I agree. The room does look nice with SWMBO choosing the colours and the coordinates (curtains, pillow cases and duvet covers). Just a bit of painting to the remaining skirting tomorrow before moving all the furniture back.
Then I can begin on this months goals - Christmas cards :clear:.
jim

robertsloan2
11-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Janet, yay for all the outlines, and cool about the animals. That totally rocks.

Jim, OW oh man the terrors. I have a phobia of dentists. Just can't do it.

Well, I won Nanowrimo yesterday. The book isn't done. It's also turning into a good book even if it's just a light one. I'm getting a lot out of it artistically. It is a little bit like overworking something by taking it too seriously, what I was doing to the horror novel. Sort of fiddling my way through carefully copying the photo while this one's swooping along like my latest Ari sketch or pine tree, just, I know how to do this and it's fun. Complete with giving my protagonist a lot of trouble! It'll be a longer book. 82,000 and growing, still not done though it is starting to narrow toward the end.

ligerwolve
11-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Sounds painful Jim. I'm not a dentist fan either. *shudder*

The room sounds like it will be nice. :)

Well done Robert!

getdusty
11-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Hope it went well, Jim. I go to the dentist regularly, but have hated it since 4th grade. I have to build up my courage each time. The room sounds great, but might I ask, what is "skirting"? and I think that beautifying a room counts as "artish".
Robert, good job on the writing.
Janet, you, too, are making progress this month.
I've been doing stuff in my classes which is good, but we all know how life can just get in the way. Mom was hospitalized for a few days and I've been spending quite a bit of time at her house and then add on Thanksgiving prep (and now prep for the snow coming tomorrow...thank goodness I don't live by Buffalo) and there doesn't seem to be a lot of time for art. At least I have my class time :)

Mij
11-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Well done Robert. I never thought of writing a book like painting a picture, but it all seems to fit.

Thanks Janet, I do see the hygienist every 3 months as I seem to get a lot of plaque. I see the dentist every 6 months for a check-up. Hate every moment of it. And it's not on the NHS, I have to pay for it.

Ok on the classes Peg. You have been doing stuff in them. Sorry to hear your Mum was hospitalized for a few days, that takes it's toll on your time as well. And you have snow forecast for tomorrow as well. The 'skirting board' is that 3-4 of wood at the bottom of walls we have over here. Some peeps refer to it as the kick board etc. I don't know what you'd call it if you have any. It is rather difficult to paint as we have the fitted carpet on the floor and a different colour on the walls- and I find it difficult to get down there.

Never mind all done now. Tomorrow I'll bring the books back into this room and the dvd's. Now is the time to sit back and relax a bit. Good gracious me it's 00:21. How time flies!
Jim

robertsloan2
11-25-2014, 10:32 PM
It is a lot like painting a picture. I realized that with "Tripe" I went back to "alla prima like impressionism." Get the story down fast while the idea's hot and don't sweat the small stuff, work with it as it is.

The more difficult Horror novel is more like doing realism where I measure, sketch, mark up, layer and strive for precision on something I'm not familiar with. It's like my painting a horse in oils and does take the "drying time" of pauses to figure out what happens next. I'm considering outlining it and using the equivalent writing method - plan it scene by scene and treat each scene as a writing assignment. Sketch first then paint.

Which makes those projects without deadline and this one is something turning into a real book - it's 95k now and not yet at the end, it will be a big fat one like the rest of the series. Maybe 120 or 140 thousand words. Which is fine, a rough draft can knock it back a bit and e-books don't have rigid length requirements like print books. It's so late in the series I'll have years before I get around to editing it. It may not see print, but is becoming useful as a way to work on the series rewrite.

Most of all, I'm finally getting that annual Vacation of the Mind that Nanowrimo is supposed to be. Moral of the story: in bad weather stick to my comfort zone! Challenges are for times I feel physically good and tired of my usual stuff!

What's really funny is that learning to paint better has improved my writing and vice versa. There are comparable processes. I'm finally getting it about how to sketch in painting, while outlining doesn't look as daunting as it used to when I'm handling a book in a genre that doesn't come easy.

getdusty
11-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Jim, over here...baseboard...and it is a pain to paint if you have wall to wall carpet :)

Mij
11-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Jim, over here...baseboard...and it is a pain to paint if you have wall to wall carpet :) So you have baseboard Peg and we have skirting board. It is funny how our common language divides. I'll try to remember that in the future. Not that I intend doing much decorating :lol:.
jim

robertsloan2
11-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Ouch yeah, hard to paint base boards or skirting board. I like how they looked but it's hard to mask a carpet. Love the British idiom, always makes me smile. British spelling is prettier too.

Up over 110,000 now on the book and still having fun with it. My vacation. Having a good time now the pressure's off. Decided to outline Fear This! and make it a slow careful project.

Mij
11-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Well the walls to the 'baseboard' (skirting board) would not stand inspection, I could not get down there :lol:. But visitors wont be looking for the join (I hope). I have brought in some books and dvd's, perhaps the rest tomorrow. I had the physiotherapist today, he put me through some exercises and did some massage on my shoulder. I'll see him again in two weeks time.
I unloaded one of SWMBO's Christmas supermarket deliveries today. There will be another closer to the 25th Dec. Gosh it's the 29th of November already, where has all the time gone?
jim

Mij
11-29-2014, 04:21 AM
I almost forgot, I have a workshop with JFD today and it begins at 10:00 in Findon. I'd better get my skates on as I have to leave here at 08:45.:D
jim

Judibelle
11-29-2014, 09:10 AM
OH MY. Jim.....Do you ever get to just Sit Down? Your schedule makes me tired, just reading about it!

Good Going with the writing, Rob....

getdusty
11-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Enjoy the workshop, Jim! I figure that if guests are going to hold an inspection, they deserve what they find! :)
Robert, glad the writing is going well for you.
Can't believe it is almost December...Noooo!

Mij
11-29-2014, 04:35 PM
I enjoyed the workshop but I didn't like what I produced.

Thanks for the thoughts Judi and Peg. I really brought this on myself so I shouldn't say things like 'whilst the furniture is out might give the walls a lick of paint' :lol: And of course I booked the workshop. It is all my own fault. Mind you I reckoned without my dental bridge breaking (that is going to cost big time) just before Christmas. It has lasted 23 years plus though, apparently their life is 5 to 10 years max.
I am sat sitting at the moment, with a glass of amber liquid topped with a shhhhh, you know who! :thumbsup:(and for those that didn't see the advert it's a Schweppes Tonic Water).
jim

Judibelle
11-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Good for you, Jim! I'll join you in a glass of 'red'....

getdusty
11-29-2014, 06:36 PM
and me with some Crown and ginger :)

Mij
11-29-2014, 06:47 PM
All together now 'bottoms up'! For those that do not understand that British saying, it refers to the bottoms of the glasses with the drink in it (as we guzzle the contents-fill 'em up again land lord) :wave:.
jim (sitting quietly sipping away)

Nick7
11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
I had just one goal and didn't do it :( Perhaps in December?

I hope you all were more succesful!