PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble November 2014

Shirl Parker
11-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

bnoonan
11-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Good morning,

I wanted to write and say that I've been away from WC for some time due to my own work load and yet it's an absolute pleasure to see you all carrying on with this forum. I tell my students about WC and encourage them to get in the habit of posting.

My sincere thanks to all of you who continue to take the time to comment and share your valuable knowledge. WC has truly helped me in so many ways.

I'm finding that my business aspect of my art career takes 50-60% of my time and little goes to the actual painting these days. Until that shifts... I'll just dip in on occasion.

I guess that's about all. Keep up the great work.

Barb

Shirl Parker
11-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Good to hear from you Barb. Drop in again soon.

water girl
11-03-2014, 02:46 PM
We all miss your posts, Barbara. Thank you for checking in. Maybe we need to send you a reminder now and then??? But we're also happy that your art is successful and keeping you busy.

robertsloan2
11-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Barb, that sounds so frustrating. I hope you can find your balance and make more time to paint.

November's weird. Last year it was hard, I didn't manage much at all and barely managed to complete my November novel. I think I passed 50,000 but didn't finish the book till a few days later. This year I'm starting off a little better, got two days in solidly but still need to get it rolling. Switching gears isn't easy from writing mode to art mode or back. Except I drift into writing about art, posting and blogging.

Eh, if I choke on it I'll go do a fantasy novel about art and see where THAT goes. Or bring art into this horror fest.

robertsloan2
11-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Well, now the book's going well and today my Winsor & Newton Watercolor Markers travel wallet set shipped. So it may be here pretty soon. I hope it is. Looking forward to having that to fool around with for sketching and underpainting. It seemed like it'd be this really easy way to block in underpaintings, just scribble them in fast with the brush tip and wash out the light areas, scribble other colors over in layers to mix.

They might be fairly light washes, the swatches shown online did not look like full strength artist watercolor. But they might darken with repeated layers too if they are that light. I'll find out when they arrive whether they're really as light as they look or not. Maybe it takes a thin wash to get it into a marker and function. Compatible with other W&N artist grade watercolors, range is 36 and includes many hues.

Also talked to Dakota and my Blue Earths set will ship tomorrow so they can tuck in a sample piece of the new pastel surface. I'd very much like to try it but don't have budget to order a sheet.

robertsloan2
11-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I voted today! Got out of the house and did it, walked around the block to my polling place. Even got in a little pen sketch of a fancy doorway and some photos of a lemon tree outside the polling place.

Tomorrow is my doctor's appointment, which always makes me nervous because I don't want to get still more bad news, let alone health advice for people who don't have my conditions because the doc's flying on automatic. No, exercise never works and don't you dare humiliate me by saying it's easy and anyone can do it. The last medic that said that cost me a month of agony recovering from five days of too much will power doing only a third of the exercises. I don't need that shaming again.

My current doc is usually all right but sometimes she forgets and I have to remind her, no, I'm that freak with the weird body.

bnoonan
11-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Hi All, thanks for the welcome back. I'm off to go hang a show and then open up for Art Walk tonight. Tomorrow I leave to teach a 3 day workshop at Orcas Art Studios.... finally - rest.

May your pastel dust be flying! Barb

bnoonan
11-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Robert - hope the MD appt. went ok.
Hi Karen - got to see your photo!
Hi Shirl - easy does it!

robertsloan2
11-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Oh that sounds fun, Barb! Enjoy it! Yeah, doctor appointment went all right. I hate doing it but didn't get any new bad news or anything annoying. The worst part was the Paratransit van breaking down twice, so I wound up waiting over two hours for my ride home and was completely wiped out. Did a lot of sketching during the wait though.

I should be writing and I feel like getting dusty! lol

robertsloan2
11-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Blue Earth pastels arrive tomorrow, the Land & Sea set of 21. Still a pretty small box and I don't have to go out again for a couple of weeks. Next Wednesday, the W&N Watercolor Markers arrive. This rocks.

blr2449
11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
I received my Blue Earth Earth & Sea Sampler today. The colors are gorgeous
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2014/163263-Blue_Earth_Pastels.jpg and I'm looking forward being able to get some time to play with them.

robertsloan2
11-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Yay! I just got mine, but you posted a good photo so I won't post a redundant one. They did put a couple of samples of the new paper into my box too along with the pastels and empty SpectraFix mister. The old concentrate and alcohol mister bottle got a clogged nozzle and I didn't know if I could fix it, so I replaced it. Now that I've got a new one I might try soaking the old bottle's spray head in Everclear to see if I can get it to work again.

I love these pastels. They're small and the value range is so elegant. I hadn't really seen the value range in person but it's very evenly graded. This is going to be so cool. Looking forward to painting with them!

blr2449
11-07-2014, 05:50 PM
LOL All I got was their new catalog. :lol:

The colors are very soothing, I love them. I have just been diagnosed with hypovitaminosis D (low Vit.D) All I want to do is sleep all day, but am on high vitamins now so hopefully I'll get the ambition to actually use these pretties.

Nick7
11-07-2014, 06:58 PM
The colors look gorgeous.

I drew eight birds in the afternoon. But I have no idea how I will be able to paint them because my right forearm hurts like hell. Not only have I a tennis elbow but now I hurt my arm by reading books about painting on my cellphone. And the position of my arms while holding the phone has done the damage.
I am tired and really frustrated.
I hope your day has been better :D

robertsloan2
11-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Barbara, that's awesome. I say this because I went through that and getting the Vitamin D replenishment did a lot for my body energy. I'm still on supplemental D and it does help. It usually makes a big difference. Replenishing vitamin deficiencies usually has a fast effect like antibiotics on an infection, it's wonderful to find out that's what it is and not something permanently awful from "you'll just keep getting worse" to "Say goodbye to your favorite foods forever."

I asked for samples and thought they'd be wee tiny ones but the pieces are good sized and lovely. I especially like the Italian Clay and it's really worth it to me getting some sheets of that next time I order from them. The pieces were very curled up but I'm flattening them now. (Which might also have been why they wound up as samples if a sheet got curly.)

Blue Earths are not plein air pastels though, too messy. I'd need an actual restroom to wash up after using them and just try getting everything back in my pack with that much dust on my hands. That's the thing with super soft though, maybe I'm best off using Rembrandt half sticks and keep the finishers for home use.

The value gradations were great though. I had fun with them and will really enjoy them at home. Might put some foam in a different box and mix them up, sort by hue-value though. I've also now got an idea of the size of the unit boxes for each color group if I ever want a full range set of those. Or a not so full set with value range per hue but skip the muted ones.

Nick, wow, it's great you drew so many birds! You can always paint them another day, give your arm a rest and try to find a better position to read on your cell phone. I know how that kind of thing can become a major problem. So frustrating when you want to do something and body won't cooperate.

Since it's your arms, massaging with something like tiger balm or arnica ointment can help with the fatigue. And rest. My day's been better, need to do about 500 words to stay on par with the novel and that's practically nothing. I seem to be doing better by painting during the day and then write in the evening - and while I paint the book keeps poking me too.

I keep getting ideas while I paint and then the book flows well once I get back to it. Different rhythm than usual. I hated my painting when I was done with it but it looks better across the room, as loose paintings tend to!

blr2449
11-07-2014, 09:05 PM
The worst part is walking off-balance and losing concentration *and* the fact that the symptoms mimic MS. :eek:

I just watched your oil pastel videos on You Tube. I wish you'd make more. Your technique is very easy to understand. Now, I want to get out the Pentel OPs and create an oak tree. :)

robertsloan2
11-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I should create more videos. I had some technical difficulties with it that would be solvable with a bit of help. Mainly someone to hold the camera and some way to edit the video that didn't crash my computer. I'd love to do one outdoors sometime in front of a pretty building or some trees or something scenic, that'd be awesome.

I wonder if there's a website somewhere with online video editing that would keep me from having to use Windows Movie Maker? All I usually need is to put titles on it and make sure it's right side up. I do them like I was teaching someone in my house, paint and patter. I think I need a local student.

I think I really like the Blue Earths but despite size, they're way too messy for plein air. Not without an entire diaper bag or something with wipes and towels and spare clothes sort of thing.

blr2449
11-08-2014, 10:24 PM
I have to share these. I was watching Robert's Oak Tree OP video and my
one little cat decided to join me. At one point he went up to the monitor and put his paw on it. He was mesmerized

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/163263-20141108_210321_resized.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/163263-20141108_210209_resized.jpg

robertsloan2
11-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I love it! Thanks for the photos! I never dreamed I was creating a video cats would enjoy and appreciate - guess it's all these years of acculturating to them. He's an awesome curious cat! Love that expression. Keep him out of the dusties, he looks like he's more of an age for crayons and non toxic oil pastels. They roll better anyway.

Your cat is beautiful. I love that rapt profile with his white ear silhouetted against his black ear, that's such a gorgeous juxtaposition and his profile is elegant. On the other photo, the spot in the middle of his back is cute and the transition from one light source to the other is beautiful. Another perfect example of why you don't need white to paint white. He has a nice coat, very thick and fluffy. Give him some pets from me and purrs from Ari.

blr2449
11-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I will. Although the other 11 may feel jealous. :) All ours are adopted or rescued from the street.

Finished Part one of the Oak Tree Tutorial - want to finish tonight. I like that the parts are short but very detailed and that I can finish a single object without spending hours. I was able to follow right along. That's why you should do more. ;)

Will post in OP when done.

Nick7
11-09-2014, 05:49 PM
oh LOL, thank you for sharing the photos!! :D

robertsloan2
11-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Nick, I can't answer any more private messages till you delete some. I've still got a couple more to answer. So clear the box and I'll reply after my nap.

Writing is going really well, had a huge night and then did a bit more when I woke up in the middle of my sleep. I've lost track of the clock but that happens with novels.

robertsloan2
11-12-2014, 10:32 PM
I just blogged on Rob's Art Lessons today as another procrastination from writing my novel. I answered a survey on art supplies, got a free issue of The Artist's Magazine and a question in a letter to the editor prompted an entire article. Which is great but does not speed my characters any farther down their road to scary scary rest of the book!

My other attractive distraction was that today I just got my package from Cheap Joe's with the second half of this month's art spending. My Winsor & Newton Watercolor Markers arrived.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2014/70184-11-12-2014_Winsor_Newton_Markers_Set.jpg
Winsor & Newton Watercolour Markers Travel Set

I got these to have easy sketch and underpainting materials. Wow. They'll work for that heavy Colourist stuff well, even in a limited palette. The color swatches online were washed out light but the markers themselves are strong and vivid though they can be thinned out by water. Not exactly sure how that works but it may help to do it on watercolor paper, my first tests were on the packing slip to just see if they're full strength or tints. The case is nice and deep with an extra pocket I could tuck in a water brush or little pans set or anything else that went along with it.

Using them reminded me of Pitt Artist Pens Big Brush except they have the bullet nib for a writing line as well and they're not waterproof but washable. Pen and wash is going to be fun with these. About $5 each currently and worth it since that's actual artist grade watercolor rather than ephemeral marker dyes.

blr2449
11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
And your feline model sets it off perfectly. :)

robertsloan2
11-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Purr thanks! Sorry I didn't reply to yours, was a bit dazed last time I posted. 12 cats! You have a wonderful big pride in your house. That has to be very cosy on cold nights, you'd always have at least a few of them on you.

So glad you did the Oak Tree Tutorial! I'll have to go see. Wish I could do more, still working out how I can do that. The problem is that editing them has twice killed my laptops and I don't have a spare one to risk.

I've got a better video camera now if I can get someone else to hold it, my Kindle camera is awesome. Hmm. I may experiment with how to set it up in its case at an angle where the viewer can see the art. Maybe if i set it next to me and work semi-vertical on a drawing board... I'll give it some thought. But adding titles and that is the laptop-killer.

If I can get it to work, I'll probably do one with softies. Give a scritch to my black and white fan. I'll go have a look at your oak tree!

blr2449
11-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Not all the felines are in the house;) . 8 are inside (we have a big house and basemen), 4 are outside and each of them have their own little heated cat houses.

And I am going to try the tree again, only this time on Canson Mi-Teintes paper and no blending. It's great to have one object to focus on.

robertsloan2
11-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Aww that's neat! My daughter has two inside cats and three or four barn cats who share a nice heated barn with her goats and a henhouse for the chickens. She has horses too, but I don't know if the horses go in the barn or just live out in the pasture, she wasn't clear about that.

So glad you're having fun with the tree! I was mostly doing sky holes by working around them at the time. Not blending will give you a very different texture. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Nick7
11-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :)

RickinNM
11-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!

:wave:

Forget the diets adjust the scales back 10lbs for the week.:evil:

Good food family and friends and be thankful kick back and enjoy.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Shirl Parker
11-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20295621#post20295621)