PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes, November 2014

asmith38
11-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the

NOVEMBER DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE

GUIDELINES, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) or subject will be presented in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.
Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!
Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere - the RIL e.g.
A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.

** Much more exciting and fun to see what 'masterpieces' appear!
If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ......
that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!

HOSTING: If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302516

WELCOME TO THE NOVEMBER 2014 DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE!

Theme: Temporal Anomaly

This is a pretty much "anything goes" theme, so don't hesitate to throw away your books, forget everything you've learned, and to create from your imagination. Therefore, there are no reference photos this month.

This month, we will paint by asking a lot of "What Ifs" and taking a master painter for a ride in our time machine. You choose which famous painter is to ride with you. Take him or her from his/her era to the 21st century. What would (s)he paint if (s)he lived in 2014?

Some examples:

What if Edouard Manet were to paint his Rue Mosnier aux Paveurs today? What do you think he might depict? Bulldozers? Lots of cars in a traffic jam?

What if Dali's Persistence of Memory did not show analog watches but instead showed computer memory chips? Cell phones? Spaceships? What would he dream of nowadays?

What if Titian's Young Man with Cap and Gloves portrayed a young Klingon? A modern rap singer?

I can't wait to see what your imaginations will unleash! Have fun!

Ferlian
11-01-2014, 04:51 AM
Anne, when I read the title I thought, wow, this sounds great! And it is :clap: What an imaginative idea. The 21st of this month will be one big box of surprises. Thank your for thinking up such a fun theme.

Ferlian

friesin
11-01-2014, 07:11 AM
sounds challenging and very creative :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Ann, what a super challenge!

Now, what if ................? Hmmmm :lol:

Thanks so much!:D

asmith38
11-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Thank you, I hope everyone will have fun with it. And thank you to whoever made the thread sticky (Maureen, was that you?) as I could not figure out how to do it.

Moonstone_Vedis
11-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Very Challenging

Colleen66
11-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Challenge sounds great...but...

Does anyone have a list of Master Painters? and maybe some examples? I am not well schooled in such things, and my mind is blank.

Thanks All...Colleen

ColinS
11-01-2014, 11:37 AM
This is challenging but what a great idea. I will have to have fun with this!

ColinS
11-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Challenge sounds great...but...

Does anyone have a list of Master Painters? and maybe some examples? I am not well schooled in such things, and my mind is blank.

Thanks All...Colleen

Well this is just a partial list missing lots of Italians whose names I never think of:

Giotto
Filippo Lippi
Van Eyck
Brueghel
Botticelli
Michelangelo
Da Vinci
Gentileschi
Caravaggio
Dürer
Rembrandt
Vermeer
El Greco
Velazquez
Ribera
Murillo
Van Dyck
Rubens
Titian
Raphael
Watteau
Poussin
Goya
Reynolds
Gainsborough
Turner
Constable
David
Lorrain
Corot
Courbet
Manet
Monet
Renoir
Degas
Van Gogh
Morissot
Winslow Homer

The Pre-Raphaelites might be good too.

And that's pretty much to the 20th century where the Old Masters were swept away by the "New" Masters.

chammi kaiser
11-01-2014, 11:59 AM
This is a most imaginative and great idea for a challenge Ann. My mind is doing somersaults!:D

asmith38
11-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Colleen,
I just like to browse art books or sites aimlessly. Nerdy, I know :D.

Here's a wiki list of the earlier ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Master It goes to the 1800s.

This site has good info too: http://totallyhistory.com/art-history/

And this one has a list: http://www.artcyclopedia.com/mostpopular.html and if you scroll down, some pics.

Hope this helps, otherwise please let me know :).

asmith38
11-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Colin,
Thank you for making a list. I'm so lazy that I let google do the work :D.

Chammi,
I can hear the wheels grinding ;).

Colleen66
11-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Wow. I have lots of research ahead of me. I think I'm leaning toward surrealism because I don't want to attemp a real looking human :lol:

Thanks all for the names and sites provided :) Colleen

asmith38
11-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Just pick some painting you like and make it fly to today's world, this is not meant to give anyone a headache :D.

ColinS
11-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Just pick some painting you like and make it fly to today's world, this is not meant to give anyone a headache :D.

That's easy to say now on Day One. :lol:

It's a great challenge, but for me it will definitely be a challenge. I think I've picked my Old Master, and the Painting, one of my absolute favourites, but now I have to figure out how to do his technique and update it. :eek:

Maybe I've just talked myself out of that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie's Mum
11-01-2014, 01:09 PM
to figure out how to do his technique and update it.
.. it's mastering the technique that might be the cruncher!
I've already made notes on an idea and can see it in my mind's eye - painting it to the perfection of the 'Master' is another thing entirely!:lol:

PS - yes, I stuck the thread - needs a Moderator's magic dust ;):lol:

asmith38
11-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Thank you Maureen, for the glue :D.

You guys, you'll do your best, and that's what counts. I have your work, I know you can do a great job.

Ferlian
11-01-2014, 01:46 PM
I only got as far as choosing the era my painter's from. Now I'm torn between three painters so I guess I'll just go look at lots of individual paintings now until something will jump out at me. What a great excuse to spend some time drooling at what my favorite painters have done :D Thank's again, Anne. This is already turning out to be a fun month.

Ferlian

Colleen66
11-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I've picked my Master!!! And have visions in my head. That's half the battle for me. :) Colleen

old_hobbyist
11-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Wow what a great challenge!!!!
Some time ago, I converted a very well-known B+W foto from the 30s into a SteamPunk painting.
I was threatened with copyright infringement!
Really!
Anything goes!
Can you imagine the first Queen Elizabeth as Lady Gaga?
Or Rembrandt as a punk rocker?
I sure wish I could get to my paints convert some of the great masters' renditions into the 21st century.

ColinS
11-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Jim I had some of those same images. :lol:

I have picked my master too and the painting I think. I may do a small study first in the "style" to try and get a handle on technique. :D

asmith38
11-01-2014, 08:27 PM
You all are so incredibly awesome!

Ferlian, nothing limits you to only one painting ;).

Colleen and Colin, Well done, that's half the battle :D.

Old hobbyist, I thought Lady Gaga and Mona Lisa had a resemblance, no ;)? Isn't there any way you can carve yourself a little corner for painting?

Mrs B
11-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Oh wow Ann, what a fantastically creative and challenging brief!! I know straight away which 'old master' I would choose and have about 5 different ideas for what to do for this challenge already! A very inspiring theme!!
Can't wait to get started, just as soon as I decide which one to tackle.....!!!

bluemoonstar
11-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Fabulous idea! Time to break out my Art History books!

maryinasia
11-02-2014, 12:15 AM
looking forward to seeing these!

inkslinger69
11-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Dang! now I have to study art history. turned down a scholarship many moons ago 'cause I didn't want to study art history, I wanted to paint. Wah,wah, wah. I'm done crying now, and I'll get on with the show. would a digital timeclock hanging out of a tree from a chain bearing a medallion with the inscription " Thug Life" on it qualify?

inkslinger69
11-02-2014, 02:53 AM
does Sailor bill, the tattoo artist, count as an old master? he's got to be about 107 years old by now, and still slingin' ink. he's the bomb!!

asmith38
11-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Mrs B, that's great! maybe you'll do more than one?

Pat and maryinasia, thank you, I'm also waiting for the 21st with anticipation.

Psst, inkslinger, time spent crying is time wasting ;). No need for an art history degree, we all have paintings that grabbed us. You made me laugh, I like the "Thug Life" idea! As to Sailor Bill, as long as you consider him a master, it's all good.

Imogene Thomas
11-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Ok, lots of choices and some research before getting started. I'm game! :)

asmith38
11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Great! Yes, this theme has many possibilities.

Ferlian
11-04-2014, 02:28 AM
Lost in research... I've already discovered so many interesting painters along the way. Sadly, the library dos not hav enough any books on most of them nor does the bookshop :eek:

Anne, are we allowed to change place as well as time? If I were to choose a painting that shows a location like Brussels or Paris, would I have to find out how this spot looks today or could exchange it for another location? :D

Ferlian

asmith38
11-04-2014, 04:26 AM
Absolutely, Ferlian! You could bring a master to the New World (which would be an excellent twist if it hadn't been discovered yet), to another planet, another galaxy.

If you want to find out how a place looks today, Google Earth is really good. It allows you to view most addresses in street view (exception for high security areas like the White House or the Kremlin and rural areas in far away lands). Even if you do not find the exact same street, as I believe that Rue Mosnier in Paris has changed name to Rue de Barne, you can get a pretty good idea by using a near-by street in the 8th arrondissement (district).

If I can help anyone with research, I'm pretty good with Google,let me know.

Mrs B
11-04-2014, 04:40 PM
I'd love to do more than one but with the little one to look after I'm usually a bit short on time these days, might do some sketches for future ones if time allows. Really can't wait to see everyone's ideas!!

asmith38
11-04-2014, 05:46 PM
I understand, I sure have a lot more time now that my kids are grown.

Is it the 21st yet :D?

ColinS
11-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Lost in research... I've already discovered so many interesting painters along the way. Sadly, the library dos not hav enough any books on most of them nor does the bookshop :eek:

Anne, are we allowed to change place as well as time? If I were to choose a painting that shows a location like Brussels or Paris, would I have to find out how this spot looks today or could exchange it for another location? :D

Ferlian
Your question prompted me to do a little digging into mine. I have found that the location still exists, and even found a photo of a modern 'staging' of the painting I have selected, so that I can actually see what the location would look like with the 'subject(s)' . Having lots of fun with mine. I have divided the canvas into 9 sections and working on one at a time to get the blocking in to go in the right place and I have the top 1/3rd blocked in.

Don't rush the time, Ann, I need every minute! :lol:

asmith38
11-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Don't rush the time, Ann, I need every minute! :lol:

Ok, ok I will try to be patient :D... but it sounds like you're making great progress :thumbsup:.

Ferlian
11-05-2014, 04:07 AM
Anne, I'm a little afraid of using google street view as part of the reference. I'm quite sure they're very restrictive when it comes to copy rights. And I wouldn't put it beyond them to have an automatic search comparing similarities (which is not necessarily a bad thing; I've read of many artists complaining their artwork published on the internet has been made use of by companies who exploited it illegaly; these artists have a hell of a time finding out).

Wow, Colin. That sounds great! I'm so excited for the 21st!

I have found "my" master painter and am much tempted but I think I might do something from a much earlier period as this has been an idea going around in my head for a very long time. Plus I do not need to to as much technique research as I've been doing something similar before, though in a different medium. But it'll be lots of fun and I'm sure the result will be as much fun to look at (and something I haven't seen before on WetCanvas).

Doing two would be interesting, too, Ann, but I lack the time.

asmith38
11-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Ferlian,
I'm so glad you found "your" master :). I can't wait to see what you've come up with.

As for the Google street view, I was only suggesting it to get a idea of what the location looks like today. A public street is hardly a copyright issue. I strongly support measures that protect artists, crafters, and all creative endeavors.

LavenderFrost
11-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I got curious about the Google Street View thing and my search led me right here to wetcanvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559369

asmith38
11-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Great find, Michelle, thank you for posting the thread! Excellent :).

Charlie's Mum
11-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Useful to know - thanks Michelle.:)

Ferlian
11-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Anne, I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I thought you'd not support measures protecting artwork. I sure did not mean to. And yes, I'm also excited about what will come of this challenge. What a great idea!

Michelle, that's so interesting - and surprising, to me. I would never have thought. Thank you so much.

May I ask everyone who has already chosen a master painter what era/century this master is from?

Ferlian

asmith38
11-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Not at all, Ferlian, you said nothing to imply that :).

Karendart84
11-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Ann this is a great challenge. I picked my master and painting. Might be a mess but I'm having fun.
Ferlian I chose a 17 th century master.
I' m excited to see what everyone does.

inkslinger69
11-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Would a cave man that painted cave paintings count as an old master? They pretty much birthed the arts, didn't they?

asmith38
11-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Kren,
I'm glad you like it! Can't wait to see :).

Inkslinger,
I would say yes. Having seen some in France, they really were artists! Amazing when then had no filbert, gesso, or even paints as we know them.

Colleen66
11-06-2014, 09:36 AM
OMG. I was looking at Ancient Egyptian Art and I was trying to find an artists name so I could do something from that. Unfortunately, those workers didn't sign the glyphs...lol. Anyway. I went with a guy from 1900's. I love his work and am completely struggling with perspective :). Something will come of it because I foolishly refuse to change my idea at this point :lol:

Colleen

asmith38
11-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Wow Colleen, that could be another month's challenge all by itself. It is a shame that they never signed their work.
Perspective is hard! But I'm sure you'll do well :).

Colleen66
11-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Could you imagine all the new glyphs to come up with? A car, crock pot, tooth brush...:lol: Would be crazy :). Thanks for the vote of confidence. I just talked to my son and he mentioned Isometric Graph Paper, he uses it in College. I found on-line where I can print out the graph paper. I think my perspective is looking up!

Colleen

asmith38
11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
LOL The mind boggles!

There are places online where you can upload your photo/image and add a grid on it. I used one a while back but now can't remember the site :( .

Charlie's Mum
11-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Isometric doesn't actually do perspective though Colleen! It does angles, but not to a vanishing point:)

I've got a thread about perspective - have you seen it? In the Classroom index, Information Kiosk.

My master is from 15thC-16thC - born in one, died in the next!:lol: Not that I will 'master' anything:lol:

old_hobbyist
11-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Good news...
I worked around my saws and routers to finish (yes, finish) the entry. IMHO, it really meets the challenge head-on - one year short of 500, no less!
Bad news...
By 21 Nov, I will be working in SE Asia until mid-Dec.
Ergo, I wont be able to post my spectacular response this month.

asmith38
11-06-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm glad of your good news but not of your bad news. If you wanted to email me a pic, I can post it for you on the 21st.

ColinS
11-06-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm glad of your good news but not of your bad news. If you wanted to email me a pic, I can post it for you on the 21st.

Great idea! :thumbsup: I have seen that done on other challenges so I am sure it's legit. Jim you just have to trust that Ann won't claim it as hers! :lol: ;)

janinco
11-06-2014, 11:52 PM
What a fun challenge! Not sure I'll be able to get something done in time, but I know I will enjoy the gallery.

Just for laughs, here are a few links to re-imagined paintings that are pretty creative...the first is Santa in the classics, and the second is Mr. Bean:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526518/Photographer-inserts-selfies-dressed-Santa-famous-works-art.html

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/rodney-pike-mr-bean-photo-manipulations

Jan

janinco
11-06-2014, 11:57 PM
This is a good grid drawing program online:

http://sporkforge.com/imaging/grid.php

Jan

Mrs B
11-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Wow - old hobbyist, that's amazing that you have finished already !!!

My 'master' is from 1898 to 1967 so a quick google will give it away!!!

Colleen66
11-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Isometric doesn't actually do perspective though Colleen! It does angles, but not to a vanishing point:)

I've got a thread about perspective - have you seen it? In the Classroom index, Information Kiosk.

My master is from 15thC-16thC - born in one, died in the next!:lol: Not that I will 'master' anything:lol:

I Used the wrong terms. I am trying to do a 3D look, and used perspective in that sense. I will definately go thru your thread on the real perspective since I have no clue how to do that either :lol: Thanks for clarifying and double thanks for the Classroom :)

Janinco, this must be what asmith was referring too. Got it bookmarked. Thanks so much. I need every tool I can get my hands on (except power tools which I stay away from :lol: )

Old Hobbyist. You just freaked me out! I can't believe your done! Have a great trip and hope to see your work if you send it on to asmith (Can I call you Ann?)

Colleen

asmith38
11-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Great idea! :thumbsup: I have seen that done on other challenges so I am sure it's legit. Jim you just have to trust that Ann won't claim it as hers! :lol: ;)
Ha ha ha Colin! You've seen my work, I'm so far behind all of you that there'd be no mistake :D. Besides, I did mine last month when I was preparing this challenge for you all.

Jan,
Thank you for the laughs! Those photoshopped funnies were great, I especially liked Mr. Bean. Wish you'd have the time to join us, but I know that it is sometimes difficult.

Colleen,
You may call me anything, just not late to an art supply sale :D.

inkslinger69
11-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Note to Ann- cheap Joes is having a big on-line sale RIGHT NOW! bunch of stuff really cheap, and only $2 shipping on order over $35 !!

asmith38
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
omg, now you did it LOL! *reaching for the credit card*

Charlie's Mum
11-07-2014, 02:24 PM
$2 shipping? Never that small in the UK!!!! Buy, buy, buy!!!!

Not surprised Jim has finished one and glad you could find the space to do it Jim!!!
I also can keep it in a safe place for you if you send it :lol: - I do that for a quite a few people in and around the site!

Colleen - glad to help!:)

old_hobbyist
11-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Ann and Maureen, I tried to send emails to you both. I got this error msg..

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

So I guess I'll just need to post this next month
old-hobbyist

asmith38
11-07-2014, 09:40 PM
old_hobbyist,
Let me see how to change that... if not, I can PM you my email.

asmith38
11-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Sent you a PM :).

old_hobbyist
11-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanx to Ann and Maureen for your efforts on my behalf.
I have sent Ann an email with a doc file with the necessary background - the original foto and the 21st century one.
Hope it gets plenty of laffs!
BTW, remember the butt icon.
Don't wanna get F+W mad at me again.

Charlie's Mum
11-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Sorry about that Jim - but a PM would have sufficed as the image size is the same as uploading to a forum. :)

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew!:(

asmith38
11-08-2014, 09:23 AM
No worries, Maureen, I have Jim's files.
Jim, got them and got the pictures extracted into jpg, I think we're all set.

I'm biting my tongue not to say any more, but I'll say that everyone is going to love it :D.

Charlie's Mum
11-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm sure we will Ann! :D

ColinS
11-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Can't wait to see it.

Spent several hours on mine yesterday. Am having a blast. I hope it stays on track!

Charlie's Mum
11-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I think I'm changing my mind :( .......

asmith38
11-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Why not? Your painting, you can change your mind any time :).

Mrs B
11-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Feeling very behind you lot!!! Have done the sketching but not had times to put brush to canvas yet, will have to make a big effort in the evenings this week LOL!!:wink2:

asmith38
11-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Don't panic, Gemma, you still have plenty of time :).

windspirit50
11-09-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm just having fun reading all the posts! Will be waiting to see what everyone does. No time this month for me to do anything.

Charlie's Mum
11-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Don't worry Gemma - I haven't started yet!:lol:

Colleen66
11-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I haven't started with paint yet either. Still working to get the entire composition sketched on the canvas. For me, that's the hardest part and takes the most time.

Colleen

cem
11-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I haven't started at all. No sketch or anything. Still trying to decide what to do. I know, pitiful! Guess I should leave the computer alone and just start something!

cem
11-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Okay the light bulb finally came on. I have started:)

asmith38
11-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Hurray for the light bulb :thumbsup: !

To all of you who are worried that you haven't put paint to canvas yet, please keep in mind that this kind of challenge is very different from just having to interpret a given set of photos. This requires thinking and research beforehand. So it is normal that you haven't started on the actual painting part. There is still plenty of time. relax and above all have fun.

We're doing this for fun, right :D ?

loobyteacher
11-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I'm joining in as well. I selected my artist and began painting last week in my classroom. I teach advanced art at a local high school, so while they work I did too. I am not being fussy with the background, but definitely more fussy with the image. The kids in my classes are intrigued with the whole idea and with the updating that can take place in the image. A great way to stretch our minds and make us think about the possibilities!

I will be done before the 20th.... that is my nature. I work fast and focused until the piece is done.

I look forward to all the fun images!

asmith38
11-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Glad you're joining us, Colleen :). btw, love your website and those paint chips compositions have me intrigued.
If you want to use this challenge or a similar one with your HS class, feel free. I came up with this on my own but I'm sure that I'm not the first.

Colleen66
11-12-2014, 08:51 AM
I had a marathon painting session and I FINISHED IT!

Like last month, I am just thrilled at how it turned out. I was able to get my vision onto canvas. This was a difficult one to lay out because it has a ton of symmetry in it.

Can I please, please post it early :lol: I don't know how I'm going to wait!

Hope everyone is making progress! Colleen

Charlie's Mum
11-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Sit on it Colleen!!!!!! Well done for getting finished early :)
I did start my sketch, so I suppose that counts as started!:lol:

Colleen - Looby ...... I too like those paint-scraping works! Good idea :)

chammi kaiser
11-12-2014, 09:31 AM
I've finished mine too. I chose an artist whose work I particularly dislike to try to establish why he was so incredibly successful. I am still confused.:confused: :lol:

asmith38
11-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Well done on being done, Colleen :D! Now you know how I feel, seems like November 21st will never get here!

Yes, that counts Maureen, sometimes just deciding what to paint is the hard part ;).

That's clever, Chammi! Never thought of doing that :-).

cem
11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Today I am very thankful for Gesso! Sometimes it seems to be a cure-all!

asmith38
11-13-2014, 06:37 PM
So true :D! Gotta love how we can paint over with acrylics, too.

Ferlian
11-14-2014, 03:57 AM
I'll start painting this weekend. I haven't settled on a certain painting yet but I'll do that tonight as I've at least narrowed down the choices to a few.

Ferlian

ColinS
11-14-2014, 10:46 AM
I am almost done! A few little tweaks and corrections...Now I have to wait until
the 21st...this was a great challenge. :thumbsup:

asmith38
11-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Ooh the suspense is killing me :D!

cem
11-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm nearly done. Just a little touch or two should do it. Hoping I don't mess it up with the tweaks!

Colleen66
11-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Resisting tweaks is killing me too. I know from experience that when I'm done I need to stay done! Yesterday I set everything up for a new painting so I can't tweak! I'm going to attempt to mount this months challenge piece so that is keeping me from tweaking too. Going to get some spray adhesive today. I just love art and everything involved with it. This month was so cool because I learned so much about Master Painters and time periods!

Colleen

Mrs B
11-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks Ann and Maureen, I have finally started and am really enjoying it! Hopefully my painting is in keeping with the brief, or at least my interpretation of it. It is quite challenging painting in someone else's style. I'm so impressed how's many people have finished already - I will probably be up to the wire again this time ha ha!!!:lol:

asmith38
11-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Gemma,
I am sure it will be a wonderful interpretation :).
Most people do better when a deadline looms over their head ;).

cem
11-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Done:) I wonder if anyone else thought of what I did....We shall see.

Charlie's Mum
11-16-2014, 06:56 AM
I usually work better under pressure (of the deadline :lol:) but have so much on this week that it might be difficult - starting with tomorrow when DH has an endoscopy scheduled for 11.30am - not looking forward to that, either of us! He's had such procedures before but even so .... not nice! :(

asmith38
11-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Cindy,
That's part of the fun, right?

Maureen,
ugh, that doesn't sound too thrilling :(.

cem
11-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes, Ann, I agree, that is part of the fun! So anxious to see everyone's interpretation!

Maurine, I know that is not an enjoyable thing to go through. Hope the results are good.

ColinS
11-17-2014, 02:24 AM
I usually work better under pressure (of the deadline :lol:) but have so much on this week that it might be difficult - starting with tomorrow when DH has an endoscopy scheduled for 11.30am - not looking forward to that, either of us! He's had such procedures before but even so .... not nice! :(

Hope that everything goes well tomorrow, Maureen. Not fun for sure.

I am looking forward to everyone's work. I showed my painting to my boys this evening and they both zeroed in on a "problem" with one part of it, so I have a wee bit more tweaking. :lol:

Colleen66
11-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Good luck to your Hubs Maureen!

Don't you guys hate it when life interferes with Painting :lol: Colleen

Mrs B
11-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Maureen, hope all goes well for your dh.

Quick question guys, if I want to get a really thin line on my painting, would it be cheating to just draw it with a sharp pencil? Or is there something else that anyone can recommend?

chammi kaiser
11-18-2014, 05:44 AM
As long as the painting is in acrylics, I personally see no problem in using whatever works for you to make a thin line.

This challenge is going to be very interesting.

Charlie's Mum
11-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Gemma, it's OK to use the pencil but probably a better bet would be a pen - you can use dip pens with acrylic ink(s) ..... or use any pen like a sharpie, staedtler etc ... I do! Like Chammi says, as long as the work is mostly acrylic, nothing wrong with adding another medium (or two!)

Thank you for your good wishes for my husband - all went well (with some delay!) and as log as he takes no important decisions for 24 hours (nearly up now ;)) all will be OK :thumbsup:

Ferlian
11-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Maureen, my husband has had the same done and it wasn't fun either. Good luck to your husband, Maureen :crossfingers: I wish him all the best.

Ferlian

Mrs B
11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks Chammi and Maureen, the work is totally acrylic at the moment. I don't think I have a pen thin enough, but agree that it might be better than pencil. Perhaps I will do the line in pencil to start and go over it in pen if I can find a really thin one!!
Not sure how big the master I'm time traveling with worked but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a10x8 canvas board!!

chammi kaiser
11-18-2014, 11:34 AM
You can get some really fine acrylic markers. I have one or two in Liquitex.

Charlie's Mum
11-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Gemma - also look at the Pitt pens - they're beautiful for drawing but you'll find relatively cheap pens at Rymans, WH Smith, Hobbycraft and any decent stationers.:) ... Mitsubishi make fine ones:)

Got some paint on today - after cleaning my mouldy palette!!!:lol: - it's been a really long time since I opened it last!:D

asmith38
11-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Gemma,
I am so glad you asked that! I always have trouble with thin lines, and therefore avoid them. Never thought to use a pen, marker, or anything like that... duh on me :rolleyes: ! I'm going to look for some of those.

Maureen, glad all will be ok after all.

Mrs B
11-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It's going to be the last bit of the painting I do, so will see how brave I am when it comes to the crunch!!
I had no idea the painting I decided to do was going to be so detailed, so it's taking an age.... will be close to the wire again this time!

Mrs B
11-20-2014, 11:25 AM
By the way - if you have an idea for a challenge, who do you send it to?

old_hobbyist
11-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Gemma, look for the sticky thread at the top of the Acrylics Forum.
Sticky: Different Strokes: Hosting Schedule 2014.
According to this, Dec is still open.

Charlie's Mum
11-20-2014, 03:21 PM
......... or just PM me Gemma :)

Mrs B
11-20-2014, 07:27 PM
......... or just PM me Gemma :)
Thanks Maureen, just sent you a message.:)

Mrs B
11-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Gemma, look for the sticky thread at the top of the Acrylics Forum.
Sticky: Different Strokes: Hosting Schedule 2014.
According to this, Dec is still open.
Thanks for the pointer!Very interesting to see what some of the previous challenges have been and what you need to do to host. Not sure if I'm brave/cheeky enough to host the next one - I've only done 2 challenges myself ha ha!!! :lol:

cem
11-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Yippee! I'm first to post. I struggled to come up with an idea for this interesting challenge. Then the light bulb finally lit up and this is the result. What I imagine Vermeer might paint these days. About 11" square on 140lb. watercolor paper. I know it doesn't look just like her but I'm happy with it. The only other portrait I've done was a clown about 50 yrs. ago:)818417

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
René François Ghislain Magritte (November 21, 1898 – August 15, 1967) was a surrealist artist of Belgian origin. He became famous for his surrealist artworks that were regarded as thought-provoking and witty. His art often challenges observers’ perceptions of what is real. I didn't choose just one work so here is some of his work.

http://totallyhistory.com/rene-magritte-paintings/

When you look at the link you'll see he did two paintings called "The Art Of Conversation". Mine was inspired by these with other elements from his entire work. The "CHAT" is today's version of people talking to each each and of course it's in a room. The blue sky and moon represent 24 hours a day. The Cloud reprensents how we are pluggin into the "Cloud", the Net and the World. The two "Jar" heads represent the disconnect from who we are talking to. Hope you guys like :). 13 1/2 x 11 Acrylic Paint & Ink. To big to scan so this is a photo and it doesn't look as sharp as it really is.

Colleen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/1893388-ArtOfChat.jpg

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Cem, What a pretty portrait. The face jewelry, the tatoo...Perfect.

Colleen

ColinS
11-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Cindy - Wow, beautiful portrait and likeness! I love what you did.

Colleen - that really does feel like the cleverness of Magritte. Well done! The word "chat" shows upside down on my screen? Is that your intent? (--ok on my computer it appears right way up! But not on the iPad...:confused: weird)

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Colleen - that really does feel like the cleverness of Magritte. Well done! The word "chat" shows upside down on my screen? Is that your intent?[/QUOTE]

Not supposed to be upside down. I think I fixed it? Or maybe a Mod could fiz it for me. I'm not sure why it happend so hopefully I got it. Thanks for telling me, it's fine on my screen.

Colleen

ColinS
11-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Here is my offering, from Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party.

Luncheon of the Tweeting Party:

16 x 20 on canvasboard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/1183569-Luncheon_of_the_Tweeting_Party.jpg

And the original:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/1183569-1280px-Pierre-Auguste_Renoir_-_Luncheon_of_the_Boating_Party_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

I had a lot of fun with this. :lol: I haven't tried to do so many figures in such a complex setting before. The Restaurant Fournaise and its terrace overlooking the Seine still exist, so I found photos and adjusted the background to reduce the foliage and include the modern highway bridge. :D In reality there is even less foliage than what I have in my version but I didn't want to depart from the sense of a green enclosure captured by Renoir.

chammi kaiser
11-21-2014, 10:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/39224-2014-11-12_19-00-17_0422a.jpg

This is how I would imagine Pablo Picasso (1881 - 1973) would have painted the present 'club scene'. Sincere apologies to the dear fellow.:rolleyes:

chammi kaiser
11-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Super work , Cindy, Colleen and Colin - absolutely spot on. Love all of them.

Thanks Ann for hosting. This is a really fun challenge.

cem
11-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Colleen....Very well done. The chat text is perfect. I saw that he actually did 3 paintings with that title. I like how you compiled some of his works.
And thanks for your nice comment on mine entry.

Colin...Glad you like what I did. I debated about giving her wild eye make-up but decided against it. Anxious to see what you came up with.

Ann....Thank you for hosting this interesting challenge!

cem
11-21-2014, 10:23 AM
I see I cross-posted so let me revise.

Colin....What an undertaking with all those figures. You did a perfect update to the scene!

Chammi...I don't feel an apology is necessary to Picasso. You definitely did it justice! Great idea!

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Colin...Amazing ! Look at all the cell phones and the gal with pink hair. I just love this. People are too difficult for me yet so you and Cem get a hugh thumbs up :)

Chammi, very cool outfits on the girls and great colors. Looks like a Picasso to me :) Colleen.

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Yippee! I'm first to post. I struggled to come up with an idea for this interesting challenge. Then the light bulb finally lit up and this is the result. What I imagine Vermeer might paint these days. About 11" square on 140lb. watercolor paper. I know it doesn't look just like her but I'm happy with it. The only other portrait I've done was a clown about 50 yrs. ago:)

Wowsers!! That's fantastic! I've never ever done a portrait in my life and this is only your second??! She has a hint of lady gaga's feature about her in your painting. I think I prefer your version to the original!!:clap:

cem
11-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Oh my, thanks so much Gemma!!

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Colleen - that is wonderful! We also chose the same artist!! Yours is very clever and really captures his style! So original!

Colin - that's such a great version, I love the fact that the more I look at it, the more little details I see like all the mobile phones! It's fab!

Chammi - I think he would have rather liked it, so don't apologise! Such a bold style it looks really really great!

Charlie's Mum
11-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Oh! How clever you all are!
Cindy - would have recognised her anywhere - this is a lovely update of a pretty lady!

Colleen - you've really put a lot of thought into this - clever stuff and well done!

Colin - yes, a very complex scene and beautifully updated! Nice when you can add bits you've seen with your own eyes! Well done with all those figures!

Chammi - I'm with you, don't like PP either! but what a good update Love that one dancing in the b/g - and the angry looks on some faces!!

Mine is half-way done and I think I'm being too picky .... should just pick up the brush and slap the paint on, but my artist wouldn't have done that!:lol:

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Thank you so much Colin, Chammie, Cem, Gemma and Maureen.

Gemma and Maureen, can't wait to see yours :) Gemma, funny we both picked the same guy !

Colleen

asmith38
11-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Wow!!! You all are just awesome! Love all of them!

Cindy: I can't believe how well you painted her, looks so much like the original! Love the tattoos, body piercings, make-up, so like young girls today!

Colleen: Oh wow, that is so perfect! Love the chat (it is upright for me), the www, the representation of spending all day and night online, the jugheads are too clever!

Colin: I can't imagine painting so many people in one painting, this must have taken for ever! Love how you updated their clothes, the girl with the pink hair, the black shades, you even got the table contents to be contemporary ( cell phones, Perrier bottles, etc.).

Chammi: Awesome! Pablo must be smiling in his grave. Love the mini bandage dresses, crop top and tight pants, so much like they dress today.

Well done everyone, I'm going to post the one from one friend old_hobbyist next. Can't wait to see more!

asmith38
11-21-2014, 02:15 PM
This is the entry from Jim aka Old_hobbyist who was good enough to entrust me with his work.

First, the original by Bellini:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/26997-old_hobbyist1.jpg

And now, see what Jim made of the pretty young lady. I ask Jim for a caption and he said:

Wot 85-yo geezers would paint today

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/26997-old_hobbyist2.jpg

Jim, I laughed out loud when I saw your rendition! Love the cellphone, jewelry, fishnet hose, extensive tattoos, even the view from the window is modern! So much fun and so well done!

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 03:14 PM
OMG...Jim has painted MY DAUGHTER:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim :clap: :clap: . I seriously love it !!!! Very well done!

Colleen

asmith38
11-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Too funny, Colleen :D!

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 04:05 PM
OK, I'm going to stop tweaking this and just post it now! I also chose Magritte as my master to take in a time machine and have done a modern day rework of The Human Condition. It's on a 10x8 canvas board.

This is 'The Human Condition 2014'

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/1962755-THC2014.jpg

And this is Magritte's Original from 1933:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/1962755-C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved_Images_the-human-condition.jpg

There is a bit of glare on my photo, so the colours don't appear quite as rich on the screen as they do on the canvas. I did manage to paint the really thin line in the end - it's the edge of the mac at the top of the screen. I found a size 00 brush that I had that was all gummed up with paint, but the tip was still good and that's what I've used to do the teeny thin line.

I really really enjoyed this challenge and it was great fun to try and emulate the style of one of my favourite artists!
Please do leave some feedback and any suggestions for improvement are welcome!:)

asmith38
11-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Gemma: This is fantastic! I don't know what you were worried about. Love the iMac, looks like mine except that I don't have the drawing tablet unfortunately. Love how you barely defined it, very subtle. Good job on urbanizing the view too, sadly accurate in many places.

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Ann, thanks so much! I'm very lucky enough to have an imac and small drawing tablet, so had a bit of an idea how to shape them. I was pleased with the skyline, wish I was better at taking photos to show more detail!

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Gemma, I recognized it as his before I looked at the reference. It's great! You're not gonna believe this but I was considering a modern skyline and that "Bullet" looking one was one I was gonna use! And...I almost put 'his' curtains in mine too. We must think alike :) Great Work.

Colleen

asmith38
11-21-2014, 04:37 PM
I guess the hostess is allowed to participate? I hope so, if not someone remove mine.

Based on Dali's Perception of Memories, 1931.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/26997-Dali-Persistence-of-Memory-1931-Museum-of-Modern-Art-New-York.jpg

And mine below. Some things that aren't obvious are: on the finger at the bottom is a nano chip (the flash just washed that out, sorry), the green and black thing is a circuit board for some sort of electronic gadget, the jet is solar powered as is the probe, also notice how the effect of global warming has increased the size of the ocean to the point that jellyfish has grown to huge size and might just take over the world (joke, lol). I was painting his when we had the discussion about jellyfish, so I got inspired by you all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/26997-IMG_0009.JPG

asmith38
11-21-2014, 04:39 PM
wish I was better at taking photos to show more detail!

You nailed it! I really have a lot of problems with taking pics. Make me mad when I have spent so much time and effort on a painting.

cem
11-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Gemma...Really well done! I was not familiar with Magritte's work until this challenge. You nailed it!

Ann....A great take on modernizing Dali's iconic painting. Thanks again for hosting this interesting challenge!

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Gemma, I recognized it as his before I looked at the reference. It's great! You're not gonna believe this but I was considering a modern skyline and that "Bullet" looking one was one I was gonna use! And...I almost put 'his' curtains in mine too. We must think alike :) Great Work.

Colleen

Thanks Colleen! The gherkin is pretty prominent in the skyline and the shard dominates everything these days! Yes, great minds definitely! I love how you combined so many elements of his work in your painting, very inspired!:clap:

Colleen66
11-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Anne, I was hoping someone was going to do this Dali. I really love the updates:clap:

Thanks again Gemma. Isn't this fun....

Anne, a wonderful challenge. We learned and had fun:thumbsup:

Wait a sec....Maureen? Where are you? hehe.

Colleen

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks Cindy! I have also broadened my art history knowledge with this challenge!:)

Ann, love the modern Dali, and spotted the computer chip immediately!

Charlie's Mum
11-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Well done Gem - beautiful job on the window and modern day 'canvas' :lol: - good colour interpretation too.
You said 'feedback' - so, did you deliberately distort the perspective of the table?

Ann - good interpretation for this Dali update! The swelling ocean will swallow us all before the jellyfish do! :lol: You've even included that most awful of modern inventions - the wind turbine ... they've ruined our countryside!

Jim - what an absolute hoot! Made me laugh out loud - such a good update:lol:

Colleen - mine is half done and it's somewhere between Cindy and Jim!:lol:

Mrs B
11-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Well done Gem - beautiful job on the window and modern day 'canvas' :lol: - good colour interpretation too.
You said 'feedback' - so, did you deliberately distort the perspective of the table?:

Hi Maureen, that's exactly what my other half said! I didn't mean to distort the table at all, it just kind of turned out like that. I think somewhere between the initial sketch and transferring it onto the canvas I drew a wrong line somewhere!!:lol:

asmith38
11-21-2014, 06:13 PM
I have seen computer desks that were like that, Gemma, not rectangular, and then drawing tables are not horizontal... so, you can claim that was it :D.

Yes Maureen, those turbines aren't pretty but harvesting wind power is a good thing, in my opinion.

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback :).

And now I say... get to posting yours, people :D! I want more, more, more (like in the song LOL)!

bairam
11-21-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure that I followed all the guidelines, I may have misunderstood.
But I choose to do the most boring painting, that has always been called one of the great works. I never actually knew why, but I guess it was becasuse of the composition, rather than the subject.

Here's my version, brighter than the original.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/2194-wip_whistlers_mother.jpg

The Original: Study in Black and Gray
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/2194-Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

Karendart84
11-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Wow great paintings. I'll some back and comment.

Cindy...our mind was in the same place with Vermeer.
Here is how I thought Vermeer might paint Girl with the pearl earring today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/1579710-pearl_2.jpg

asmith38
11-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Mary,

That is so well done! I wonder if that's her when young in the nude painting? How clever of you to include that :D. I can just hear her, talking to herself and saying: "Young people nowadays..."

Karen,
What a cool painting! Love the details to modernize her: purple in the hair, jewelry, tattoos, heavy eyeliner.

ColinS
11-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Chammi - how great. :clap: You have nailed the sense of zeitgeist that is in the original. Love the one with the upraised arms.

Jim . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Perfect. Priceless.

Gemma - love what you have done with the Magritte. Very clever, and the computer monitor is done brilliantly.

Ann - I am glad someone tackled Dalí. Saw a huge Dalí exhibition in Madrid when we were in Spain last year, which has led me to appreciate his talent all the more. I like your modern take on his masterpiece.

Maria - Great and colourful update to Whistler's original, which I think was supposed to be a study in grey and black.

Karen - another wonderful Vermeer.

Thank you for all your comments on mine. I was undecided about adding tattos and piercings to my "people". I don't think the French are as into those things - at least not the fashionable set - as the North Americans and British. The pink hair was just for fun, as French women would never do that I'm sure.

chammi kaiser
11-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all the nice remarks. PP is not my favourite artist but his earlier work and sketches are very good indeed.

Jim - absolutely hilarious.:lol: Love it.

Gemma - excellent - very well thought out take on Magritte.

Ann - great challenge - well done on the Dali.:clap:

Mary - I really like the way you have brightened up that gloomy painting. Nice touch - the nude figure on the wall.

Karen - stunning portrait. Eat your heart out Vermeer!!!!:D

Charlie's Mum
11-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Mary - nice update on Whistler's Mum!!!! Surely he'd have enjoyed colour today? - especially with this medium!
Brilliant nod to maybe her younger days too!:)

Karen - what an excellent face this Vermeer update has! Well done indeed.

OK - I'm about to get back to mine - see how far I can get with an hour or so today!:lol:

loobyteacher
11-22-2014, 09:48 AM
WOW! great job one and all! I didn't get to post yesterday... busy day at school and home.
Cem- great Vermeer! I think a few of us were on the same page with similar thought! You did a great job capturing the gleam in her eyes.
Colleen- Magritte is such an unusual character! You captured his whimsy!
Colin- Love the boat party, complete with muscle shirts and shades!
Chammi- Picasso would have loved to go to your club scene!
Old Hobbyist- Goth and Tats! What a wild woman you portrayed!
Gemma- I love the subtle way the laptop mimics Magritte's work! Job well done!
ASmith-Dali updated! what a great job of including a dream state filled with modern technology
Mary- LOL I love the nude picture in the background and that very red wall!
Karen- great minds think a like! love the tats and purple hair!

Mine includes gages, piercings, colored hair, and tats... what every modern teen thinks they need to have!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/117957-Picture_389_1.jpg

ColinS
11-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Well done Colleen.. A wonderful face reminiscent of the original but nicely updated! Beautiful job on the tattoos.

Colleen66
11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Mary, The Awesome Red Wall and the nude make your painting a much needed update to Whistler's Stuffy Mom...Love it.

Karen. well done. The purple ends of the hair is sooooo now! This one could also be my daughter :lol:

Colleen, Love this update. The arms remind me of those arm sleaves you can buy in different designs to handle fluid buildup. They make some look like tattoos. She's rockin the Gypsy look :)

I really applaud all of you! I hope to join the ranks of those who can paint people one day :clap:

Colleen

chammi kaiser
11-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Wow Colleen, great job on those tattoos.

Imogene Thomas
11-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Ballerina.....9 x 12 canvas sheet... acrylic. Degas... my way! C & C Welcome:angel:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/157219-Ballerina.jpg

..and Degas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/157219-edgar-degas-ballerina.jpg

Imogene Thomas
11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
It took so long to get these posted, I will have to return later to comment on the other post! They are great, by the way.

bairam
11-22-2014, 12:27 PM
What a fun project this was and everyone had such creative ways of re interpreting these old Masters in a modern way.

Good job everyone!

Charlie's Mum
11-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Well, I've taken this as far as I want to!
Had such probs trying to make a second arm to hold the dog!:lol:
Leonardo's Lady with an Ermine - The Duke of Milan's mistress ....... but I thought today, he might have her holding a look-a-like dog instead!:lol:

I promise you the colours are rather less harsh than shown here, had trouble getting a decent scan even adjusting individual colours the red still wanted to shine! The b/g is a mix of various colours - no black used!

A4 size (approx 11x8") on a piece of mountboard. (mat)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/30494-Updated_Lady_with_erminesmall.jpg

The original
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/30494-leonardo-da-vinci-portrait-of-a-lady-with-an-ermine.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Colleen - Looby .... what a wild Madonna! Def. not to be messed with :lol:
Good setting for her :D

JT - nice Degas update - not easy to get that scratchy pastel look with paint - well done!

Ann - thanks for this amusing and challenging challenge - it's been fun to do - and really good to see where our tastes take us!:)

asmith38
11-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Colleen: Wow, how did you do those tattoos??? They are so fine and precise! She is so perfectly like a hip teen! Heck, I wasn't even allowed make-up :D. Very well done with lots of details.

JT: Love your modern dancers! That was hard to do, ballet dance has tried to keep everything timeless. I imagine they are dancing to "A symphony in blue" ;)? Lovely painting!

Maureen: Oh wow, so brave to tackle Leonardo! I love yours, dare I admit, better than his? You did a terrific job with her face, she looks like she's of the same lineage! Quite incredible! And I sure prefer the cute little dog to that ermine. I notice that he must be good to his mistress, she's sporting some serious jewelry ;).

Colleen66
11-22-2014, 02:26 PM
JT. Love your Dancers. Lovely blues!

Maureen. Her hair and the dogs hair are a Match and Perfect together. Her face is amazing. :clap:

Colleen

Fox_eNova
11-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Just lurking.. some great (re)works:lol: here. The talent shown and shared on WC amazes me everyday. :clap:

chammi kaiser
11-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Jean, agree, nice scratchy pastel look with your Degas lookalike.

Maureen, that is absolutely brilliant. Jaw is hanging open!!!!! That little spaniel is beautifully painted. Love it.

asmith38
11-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Still time to join in, Eric. What would *name master here* have painted with blue paper towels? That could be quite fun!

cem
11-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Colleen...Excellent work on those tattoos! But I must admit, I have no clue what gages are.

JT....Nicely done. Degas dancers have always been favorites of mine.

Maureen....Love what you did with that. The dog is excellent as well as her face and hair. :):)

ColinS
11-23-2014, 11:44 AM
JT - that's a great painting of Degas' ballerinas. I like the blue tones. :thumbsup:

Maureen - Wow that's gorgeous. Beautiful portrait for sure. :clap:

Colleen66
11-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Cem,

Guages are those things young people put in there ear lobes instead of an ear ring. They are round circles and they start small and increase in guage as you put bigger ones in until you have freakin SAUCERS in your ear lobes. (no offense to any that may have these) I'm of another generation that thinks young'uns are just plain nuts! :lol:

Colleen

windspirit50
11-23-2014, 01:16 PM
How intriguing! Everyone's ideas/paintings are great! You came up with ideas I never would have thought of. Well Done.

asmith38
11-23-2014, 01:54 PM
I agree, the creativity and talent shown here is incredible :thumbsup: ! Thank you to all those who took the time to participate. I had a lot of fun and, judging by the entries, I think you did too. :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you wished you had, well it is not too late. While the reveal date is the 21st, you have till the end of the month.

Ferlian
11-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Cindy, that's brilliant! :clap: I love how the rings play on the jewelry theme.

Colleen, I've been to a Magritte exhibition once and this would fit right in.

Colin, how daring with such a lot of people in the painting. Turned out great! This still has such a light, summer party vibe. :cool:

Chammi, heh, the facial expressions of these ladies ring so true with what I remember from my last trip to a disco.

Whoa, Old_hobbyist, you really packed some punch into this! I dare say this leaves a stronger impression on me than the original. :D

Gem, well done. I don't think the update of this painting could have been done better. :thumbsup:

Anne, I love the small robot and how many ideas you squeezed into this.

Mary, thank you for finally robbing this painting of the immense feel of depression.

Karen, clearly a case of two great minds thinking alike. :D Love the dip die hair.

Lobbyteacher/Colleen, great combo of a classic feel with tasteful looking tattoos your Mona features.

JT, lovely colours.

Maureen, this turned out wonderful. Heh, looking at the hairdo of the
dog and her owner, I think it's true people say that dogs and their owners are similar :D

Mine will still take a while due to life chiming in. With a little luck I'll finish it before the month is over.

Ferlian

Colleen66
11-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Thank you Ferilan...makes me feel good :D

Colleen

susme48
11-23-2014, 05:31 PM
I know I am late, late, late!! :)

Wow, Cindy!!! I am so impressed!!

Colleen...really nice!!

Colin...well done!!

Chammi...love it!!

Jim....wow!! Too funny, and well done as well!!

Gemma...nicely done!!

Ann...cool idea!

Mary...I like what you did!

Karen...you and Cindy really aced this one!

Collen...love the streak in her hair!

JT...I really like your dancers!

Maureen....wow and wow!!

I am now tossing mine aside (totally hated it anyway!), and who knows if I will have time to do one "right"....:lol: I guess I totally misread the challenge...oops! Working seems to be making me less capable instead of more...haha!! At least now I understand where we were supposed to "go". :)

asmith38
11-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Ferlian and Susan, don't worry we understand life getting in the way :).

susme48
11-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Ok...just for fun...:cat:

Not a great photo, as amazingly, by 5 it was pitch dark out...sigh. But I tried...:lol:

I was looking at different paintings, and this one caught my eye...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2014/51170-stjohnref.jpg
Da Vinci's St. John the Baptist

and I could see some changes in my mind. :angel:

Begging forgiveness....here's an update...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2014/51170-stjohn1a.jpg
10x8 canvas

Have to admit I like this better in an hour, than the one I worked on all yesterday...:confused: :eek:

bluemoonstar
11-23-2014, 11:47 PM
What interesting interpretations you've all done! :clap: Delightful!

huckaday
11-24-2014, 12:07 AM
OMG! This looks so fun! I can't wait to see what the challenge is next month! Can I join?? This will definitely get the creative juices flowing! :)

....well, now that I asked, can I join IF I think I can do it? lol

You guys are all such wonderful artists!

If I had joined sooner, I definitely would have attempted The scream by Edvard Munch...wearing a suit and running out of a city! :)

bairam
11-24-2014, 01:01 AM
Hi Alana
Welcome to this most wonderful and creative site. I'm sure if you would like to give it a try, no one would object.
I think this challenge was one of the best ever. I would like to see this as an ongoing thread. If that possible.

Susme, love your piece, but I think that's the wrong finger.:evil:

ColinS
11-24-2014, 01:48 AM
That's great Susan! She's a force to be reckoned with for sure. ;)

Alana - you are more then welcome to try your Munch. The thread stays open at least to the end of the month, so there's a week to tackle your idea.

Thanks for hosting Ann. I hope you'll host again.

chammi kaiser
11-24-2014, 05:24 AM
Alana, good to have you with us. There is still time to do 'The Scream' - you have until the 30 November. The new challenge starts on the 1st December. Of course you are welcome to join in. Looking forward to your posting. :)

Susan, that expression is priceless. Love it.

Charlie's Mum
11-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Susan, that's hilarious! (Face is good too!:D)

Alana, do join us, still 6 days left for this one.:)

Mary - it will have to end this month as I think most partaking will have done what they can for now - but we may well have a 're-run' next year sometime ......... plenty of months needing hosts in 2015!

Karendart84
11-24-2014, 10:27 AM
I finally have some time to comment. Thankthe updates everyone for your comments on my Vermeer this was so much fun.
Cindy I love what you did with Vermeers girl. Looks like our minds were in the same place.
Colleen great interpretation. You definitely brought Magritte to the future.
Colin great job modernizing the boating scene. Great figures
Chammi love your club scene
Jim great goth character. Nice skyline in BG.
Gemma perfect update to human condition
Ann fun update to Dali. Thanks for a fun and interesting challenge.
Mary great colorful whistler.
Colleen i love your updates. Great job on the gages, hair, and tattoos. She looks just like the kids I see today.
Maureen I love this. The hair, features, dog all great.
Susan great job. Glad you decided to do one.
Ferlain looking forward to yours.

susme48
11-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Mary!! I thought about the fingering...:lol: but decided to be "polite". :)

Thanks, Colin and Chammi!

Maureen...thanks!! :D

Thanks, Karen!

asmith38
11-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Mary!! I thought about the fingering...:lol: but decided to be "polite". :)

ROFL Susan, I am glad you said that because I thought of the same thing :lol: . Good job on yours, only in one hour? wow!

Everyone is welcome to join in, but you gotta hurry :). Next month, there will be another theme. Don't just join if you think you can do it, go ahead and stretch your boundaries, we're a friendly group, nothing to be afraid of.

Mary, we might do a variation on this theme some other month. Keep tuned to this station :).

Colin, I had so much fun that I'm sure I will, you guys are great :).

Imogene Thomas
11-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Cem: fine job, so mod with the rings, tatoos and earrings
Colleen: what a cool idea. Great painting.
Colin: I think you did a great job with this. Everyone has the modern feel.
Chammi: Picasso woul have been proud!
Ann: You did a good job updating the scene. This has been an enjoyable assisnment. Thanks for the opportunity.
Jim: What a surprise! I am speechless.
Gemma: You have captured the soft feel in the colors. Lovely!
Mary: I like your version better!
Karen: Nice update! Ouch! makes my lip hurt.
Colleen: You are right on with all the modern fads, even the midriff.
Maureen: Lovely rendition.
Susan: Too funny! :)
I hope I gave everyone a comment. So enjoyed this month!

chammi kaiser
11-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Ann , this challenge was inspired. It has been absolutely wonderful and full of surprises. Thank you so much for hosting. I have really enjoyed the work posted.

asmith38
11-27-2014, 07:04 AM
Thank you JTMathis and Chammi.
Really, all of you are to be complimented. This was not easy and required imagination, talent, and bravery. I loved, absolutely loved what you all came up with, what a wonderful group of people!
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

idylbrush
11-27-2014, 09:56 AM
What fun. All are exceptional in their originality. WOW!!

Ferlian
11-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Susan, you must have had a lot of fun with this. It shows :clap:

So here's mine. Based on a page from the Histoire du bon roi Alexandre (about 1320). The artist of this is unknown. My apologies for that but I could not resist all the teeming sea life. And the submarine :D

You can look at it here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexanderroman#mediaviewer/File:Tauchtonne_Alexander.jpg

(Acrylic inks and some white heavy body, roughly A4)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2014/917622-917622-Ferlian_DiffStro_2014-11_smaller.jpg

Ferlian

Colleen66
11-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Oh Ferilan. I love it! I would not want to be the one in that sub tho...:) All those creatures are so well done and recognizable. :clap:

This has been such a fun challenge. I've only done three now and can't wait for the next one. Thanks to all who participate :)

Colleen

asmith38
11-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Wow Ferlian, that is awesome! Must have taken a long time. Love all the details, especially the manatee .Well done :)!

loobyteacher
11-28-2014, 06:52 PM
So many great renditions of modern masterworks! You all have been very creative!

ColinS
11-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Ferlian - Love it! This is wonderful in your distinctive illustrative style.

chammi kaiser
11-29-2014, 04:40 AM
Ferlian, that is wonderful. Love all those little sea creatures.

Charlie's Mum
11-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Ferlian - that's delightful - speaks to me!:) ..... well, I am partial to inks, pens and brushes!:D

friesin
11-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Ohhh, what a fun thread!! :clap:
and so many thrilling paintings, some of which seem much better than the original ;)
I really do regret not having taken part in this challenge, but I do hope I can join the next one
Bravo to all of you :thumbsup:

Glean
11-29-2014, 02:07 PM
This has been a great month. Didn't get a chance to join in, but want to thank all of you that did!

janinco
11-30-2014, 12:29 AM
You have all done a wonderful job this month - I had a great time looking at the updated masters! Here's my attempt - it could use a lot more work, but I'm short on time. Acrylic on hot press watercolor paper.

Jan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2014/964887-angelipodlrwc.jpg

Ferlian
11-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Good one, Jan, this fits so well! :thumbsup:

Anne, thank you for this challenge. What a fun and creative month for all of us this has been. :clap:
This was such a quickie. I contunued the good old medieval tradition of painting things I havent seen in real life so I purposely used no reference and just painted my idea of things. :D

Colleen, I wouldn't either. I love to watch documentaries about sea creatures but I'm always glad for the invention of tv so I won't have to go down there myself :lol:

Thank you all for your nice words.

Ferlian

Mrs B
11-30-2014, 05:14 AM
Hey all, sorry I've not posted lately, had visitors staying last week so its been a bit busy.
Wow there have been loads more entries while I was absent and they are so fantastic! Such a high standards of painting and amazing originality! Love it! This has been such a great challenge, thanks Ann!!

Thanks so much everyone for ask the lovely comments about my attempt. Looking forward to my 3rd go at a different strokes challenge next month. After doing just 2 months of this so far, it's fair to say that I'm hooked!!

chammi kaiser
11-30-2014, 06:49 AM
That angel is really cute, Jan. Love the expression and the MP3 player.

I would love to be in that submarine Colleen.
We are off to the Seychelles in Feb. so this is a small taste of what is to come.

Charlie's Mum
11-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Jan - what a great choice - in all respects! Love it!

Colleen glad you're 'hooked' ....... can't promise December's will be up to this month's standard but you'll see tomorrow!!! :lol:

ColinS
11-30-2014, 09:47 AM
That's great Jan. Nicely painted. Glad you joined in.

Colleen66
11-30-2014, 10:32 AM
Jan, great idea with the Ipod, wonder painting :)

Chammi, we go down to Bonita Springs, FL in Feb. I will be collecting sea critters :) Everyone needs some beach time eh?

Colleen

LavenderFrost
11-30-2014, 12:29 PM
I sat it out this month but really looked forward to seeing what everyone would do. And you did not disappoint! What a clever bunch you are, I really enjoyed this.

asmith38
11-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Jan,
You had me laughing so hard! An angel with an iPod, love it!!! You did an excellent job with the cherub! :thumbsup:

I said it before but it's worth saying again: you all are just amazing! I knew this bunch would come up with great stuff, but you have exceeded my expectations by a mile! :clap:

Maureen,
Isn't it tomorrow somewhere? ;)

Charlie's Mum
11-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes Ann - just not here!;) ........ 3hrs and 52 mins to be precise!:lol:

asmith38
11-30-2014, 09:20 PM
How about now? Oh, you're probably sleeping :D.