PDA

View Full Version : Fine Art Store Sampler Arrived

blr2449
10-30-2014, 10:01 PM
The FAS 14 pc Soft Pastel Landscape Sampler arrived today and I am very happy with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2014/163263-Sampler.jpg

I have to go through the list of brands they include and by the process of elimination, determine which is the large chunk of red. The yellow in the far upper left corner is the 1/2 stick of Girault. It's beautiful and I can't wait to try them. The Diane Townsend with the pumice glitters like gold. :)

Since these are all quite soft, what paper would be best to use?

Equus Art
10-30-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm betting the chunk of red is a Terry Ludwig. I think paper choice is a personal preference. I like the sanded papers. UArt makes various sized grit from 280 up to 800. Lower grit paper is more abrasive and can eat up very soft pastels in no time if you have a heavy hand.

There are many different papers to choose from, but a lot of experienced pastelists will suggest Canson Mi-Teintes for a beginner. It's inexpensive and comes in a lot of different colors.

Cat

jakertanner
10-31-2014, 12:35 AM
I believe the Girault is a full stick. Your half stick is the Roche in blue on the top right. I second the Terry Ludwig red. Good luck with them.

getdusty
10-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Ditto what cat and Jake said....red is TL Have fun with them!

julieindvik
10-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Is the yellow stick in the upper left corner square? If so then I believe it's a NuPastel and not a Girault. Giraults are long, thin and round. Did the sampler come with a Roche? What brand is the purple? It's pretty!

robertsloan2
10-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes, that bright red brick is a Terry Ludwig. I have lots of them. Nothing else has its proportions and shape. I can always tell the Ludwigs even in my Dakota Traveller mixed brands box. I just can't tell the Senneliers from the Art Spectrums and Rembrandts sometimes, that's what keeps wrong-footing me.

Giraults are round and very firm, that yellow stick it's hard to tell if it's square or round.

Looks like they gave you a landscape palette, a really good one! Plenty of browns and greens and values, a nice red for accent and warming things up, sky blues and one light violet to balance the greens. Sky, dirt and foliage, it's good, you might want to use a pale stick from something else with them but it's a good palette as is. Very cool.

The one thing that would help on these, whether in separate boxes like yours or one long box like Dakota did, is a key. A list left to right of what's in the box to help you figure out when there's more than one unlabeled stick what is which. It took my fumbling around a bit too with my greens sampler to actually figure out what was what.

I can recognize most of them. Love seeing a Unison and a Mount Vision side by side, that's so startling. Also a Richeson next to a Mount Vision, yeah, those were big too. Very cool!

jakertanner
10-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Nupastels don't come in that sampler. Definitely a Girault top left.

blr2449
10-31-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm betting the chunk of red is a Terry Ludwig. I think paper choice is a personal preference. I like the sanded papers. UArt makes various sized grit from 280 up to 800. Lower grit paper is more abrasive and can eat up very soft pastels in no time if you have a heavy hand.

There are many different papers to choose from, but a lot of experienced pastelists will suggest Canson Mi-Teintes for a beginner. It's inexpensive and comes in a lot of different colors.

Cat

Hi Cat, I have a pad of the Mi-Teintes so I'll try that. Haven't had time to ID the red, but I bet you're right. It's the only one that came with no wrapper.

blr2449
10-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Is the yellow stick in the upper left corner square? If so then I believe it's a NuPastel and not a Girault. Giraults are long, thin and round. Did the sampler come with a Roche? What brand is the purple? It's pretty!

Actually it has Girault stamped into it. :)

blr2449
10-31-2014, 04:24 PM
I believe the Girault is a full stick. Your half stick is the Roche in blue on the top right. I second the Terry Ludwig red. Good luck with them.

Thank you for that clarification, Jake! It's easy to get lost in the colors and forget everything else.

blr2449
10-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Giraults are round and very firm, that yellow stick it's hard to tell if it's square or round.

Looks like they gave you a landscape palette, a really good one! Plenty of browns and greens and values, a nice red for accent and warming things up, sky blues and one light violet to balance the greens. Sky, dirt and foliage, it's good, you might want to use a pale stick from something else with them but it's a good palette as is. Very cool.

The one thing that would help on these, whether in separate boxes like yours or one long box like Dakota did, is a key. A list left to right of what's in the box to help you figure out when there's more than one unlabeled stick what is which. It took my fumbling around a bit too with my greens sampler to actually figure out what was what.

I can recognize most of them. Love seeing a Unison and a Mount Vision side by side, that's so startling. Also a Richeson next to a Mount Vision, yeah, those were big too. Very cool!

The yellow stick is round and a Girault #372. I will definitely use the tip on labeling. It's easy to lose oneself in the spirit of the moment. I am VERY happy with the assortment and can't wait to use them. I will probably use some additional ones from the sets I have now. And I will treat the 1/2 Roche with utmost respect and it's own foam-lined box.

Now, all I need is time. My co-worker (who was supposed be back this coming Monday) won't be back until Nov.24, adding 3 more weeks to the already 8 that I've spent cramming 80hrs of work into 40hrs (no, I don't get paid extra :( ). But I'm determined to find some time this weekend.

Thank you for all the hints, suggestions and tips.

Nick7
10-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh this looks like fun! :) It's great for me to see them next to each other to know their size. I have always pictured TL bigger, not sure why.

I wonder about the Girault, you all speak so highly about them :)

I hope you will have time to play soon :)

julieindvik
10-31-2014, 04:55 PM
Sorry! The yellow one just looked a little square in the pic to me and too long for a half stick. Having Girault stamped on it surely clarifies that. Thanks for the correction.

robertsloan2
10-31-2014, 05:09 PM
TL used to be larger, this adds to the confusion. Two different Mystery Boxes that I own, one bought this year and the other several years ago, show that yeah, the old ones were bigger. Terry had to manage costs or raise price, so, they're smaller, but still the same sweet quality. Keep this in mind if you ever see sets of vintage Ludwigs up on swap or eBay etc., you may get a little more for your money on old ones but won't get newer colors like Vibrants.

(Wants them wants them, oh heck someday full range, yeah it's on the list of Full Range Would Rock, but needs more apartment and tables as much as more money to do so. lol)

Full Range Roche' is what I'd get for myself in the wood cabinet if I ever sold a bestseller and hit Stephen King scale income. A better investment than sinking that into a car, they would not depreciate and eventually over a really long time pay for themselves. Next year, definitely, 12 Roche half sticks or even more than one half sticks set.

jakertanner
10-31-2014, 06:08 PM
Thank you for that clarification, Jake! It's easy to get lost in the colors and forget everything else.

Happy to help.

jakertanner
10-31-2014, 06:10 PM
I was looking to get this very sampler myself a while back. They told me i can shoos my own colors, just not the brands, but since I have most of those brands already, I am not sure if it's worth it..but then again, if I can shoos my color palette, then maybe..lol

How much was shipping?

jakertanner
10-31-2014, 06:12 PM
TL used to be larger, this adds to the confusion. Two different Mystery Boxes that I own, one bought this year and the other several years ago, show that yeah, the old ones were bigger. Terry had to manage costs or raise price, so, they're smaller, but still the same sweet quality. Keep this in mind if you ever see sets of vintage Ludwigs up on swap or eBay etc., you may get a little more for your money on old ones but won't get newer colors like Vibrants.

(Wants them wants them, oh heck someday full range, yeah it's on the list of Full Range Would Rock, but needs more apartment and tables as much as more money to do so. lol)

Full Range Roche' is what I'd get for myself in the wood cabinet if I ever sold a bestseller and hit Stephen King scale income. A better investment than sinking that into a car, they would not depreciate and eventually over a really long time pay for themselves. Next year, definitely, 12 Roche half sticks or even more than one half sticks set.

Robert, would you be able to charge a premium for using Roche pastels? Or does it not work that way? I know they are expensive, but if the cost can be recouped by charging the premium for using them, then may be worth getting a set of about 25.

Nick7
10-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Can I ask what makes them so special? :)

Edit: oh, never mind, I have just found your blog article, Rob :) But I promise I won't fell in love with them. Not even after I'll finish reading :D

blr2449
10-31-2014, 10:29 PM
I was looking to get this very sampler myself a while back. They told me i can shoos my own colors, just not the brands, but since I have most of those brands already, I am not sure if it's worth it..but then again, if I can shoos my color palette, then maybe..lol

How much was shipping?

It goes by amount of order. As the sampler was 39.95, the shipping was 8.95

robertsloan2
11-01-2014, 01:12 AM
Jake, if I were selling art I would definitely charge a premium for using Roche' pastels and mark up a painting done with them or charge more on a commission. People like to get the very best. They also have a distinctive look unlike other pastels for being so very pigment rich. The ultramarine is so strong and vibrant it's glorious, I love that Ultramarine.

This is why I'll be getting the half sticks sets. I might also carefully put together something like Charlie's palette out of open stock and watch for when they're on sale. Fineartstore has several half sticks sets that are gorgeous and a deal where you get three together in a nice wood box - it's cheaper to get the three component sets separately, so you are paying for the nice box to contain them. What's more relevant to my budget is that the half sticks sets are only $99 each, so getting them at different times would be easier than saving up for the whole set of 36 half sticks in a nice box. They come in good cardboard boxes anyway.

The three color half sticks sets are only $29 each but you get more for your money in the 12 color half sticks sets. One's mostly chromatic. One's got blues and violets, beautiful range. The other I think was tints so that would seriously be a good start on my chromatic palette. A big part of why the original 12 color set really appealed to me.

Nick, for me they hold a special place like the real gold 24kt dot and other such sumptuous materials. When I have everything I need and do something really great or succeed much more than usual, I might treat myself to more Roche and not have to make them pay for themselves. Though they would of course because that does impress people. Telling people the Grumbachers were four or five dollars per stick impressed the tourists.

Barbara WC
11-01-2014, 02:41 AM
Robert- I thought it was just my imagination that Terry Ludwig sticks have gotten smaller. I just got an order a couple of weeks ago, a few replacements, and a few new colors from the color chart I have- not that I "needed" new TL colors, but since I was ordering :)

But most striking to me was the size variability between the sticks- I seem to remember sticks from previous orders being more uniform- this recent order had a huge range size- I weighed some of the sticks, and some were half the weight (and size) of the larger pastels in this order. I totally understand why- these are handmade, possibly molded and cut? do you know? Anyway, the thing that is disappointing is the one stick I really wanted to replace was the smallest in the order :( But I ordered two sticks of a portrait hue I use a lot of, and they gave me one large stick and one small stick. Just frustrating that we don't know which will be small, which will be large! A couple of the biggest I would have made due with smaller sticks since they aren't my most used colors. So this order wasn't as happy as my previous TL orders in past years (this was my first order in over a year and a half for open stock TL)...

wakeup&create!
11-01-2014, 03:03 AM
neat, i didnt know you could choose landscape, portrait, or still life. awesome. lookz like you got some rally great brands too. heading over there now to read up on what sampler packs they've got to offer. very cool. the sets are only 20 bux and you wind up with 7 colors from some of the more expensive brands of pastels huh? seems like a deal in convenience alone but is it also a deal of value too? seems like it, if each of the 7 stix is around 4 bux open stock? mm cool.

you've got some new juicy sticks to enjoy now, lucky. whether they are brand you already got or not, a new stick is always fun to break in lol. enjoy.

those G's sound like they are of a glorious quality. i can't wait to see one in person. I've just located an art store with open stock fine pastels in my state. I'll have to fuel up the tank to get there and back but it'll be worth it one of these days.

jakertanner
11-01-2014, 10:44 AM
It goes by amount of order. As the sampler was 39.95, the shipping was 8.95

So basically, if all I want is the sampler, I am paying about $48 for it...maybe it's not so worth it unless I can pair it with more orders to include shipping. I also don't understand why they charge you more if you spend more...seems backwards. I can see going by weight, but I can buy a product that is lighter than a sketch pad, yet pay more shipping because it's more money...seems weird.

jakertanner
11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
But most striking to me was the size variability between the sticks- I seem to remember sticks from previous orders being more uniform- this recent order had a huge range size- I weighed some of the sticks, and some were half the weight (and size) of the larger pastels in this order. I totally understand why- these are handmade, possibly molded and cut? do you know? Anyway, the thing that is disappointing is the one stick I really wanted to replace was the smallest in the order :( But I ordered two sticks of a portrait hue I use a lot of, and they gave me one large stick and one small stick. Just frustrating that we don't know which will be small, which will be large! A couple of the biggest I would have made due with smaller sticks since they aren't my most used colors. So this order wasn't as happy as my previous TL orders in past years (this was my first order in over a year and a half for open stock TL)...

Barbara, I know your frustration. I thought that most companies weigh their mix before they are shaped, thus giving the customers at least a very consistent product. I know that Unison also has a range of large and small sticks, and I usually look at the boxes and compare which ones are larger, and just buy those. I mean, why should I pay for a smaller stick, if I can get a larger one? I think if they did use molds, they would be more uniformed in size, so not sure how they even get the square look, AND different sizes?

blr2449
11-01-2014, 07:02 PM
So basically, if all I want is the sampler, I am paying about $48 for it...maybe it's not so worth it unless I can pair it with more orders to include shipping. I also don't understand why they charge you more if you spend more...seems backwards. I can see going by weight, but I can buy a product that is lighter than a sketch pad, yet pay more shipping because it's more money...seems weird.

Seems wrong to me, too, but I will say that I also buy yarn, etc online and some of those vendors charge postage by Order$ too.

blr2449
11-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I've just located an art store with open stock fine pastels in my state. I'll have to fuel up the tank to get there and back but it'll be worth it one of these days.

My youngest son and his son just moved from Maine to Wisconsin and where they a are (near Milwaukee) are 2 Dick Blick stores. I see a shopping trip this spring(only 240 miles from my house) :angel:

jakertanner
11-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Wow, I guess I should feel really lucky that I have 2 stores within a 40min drive, a Blick within about 50 mins, and a trip into Manhattan where there are plenty more stores is about 45min away. The stores are more expensive for sure than online, but getting a hands-on look and feel is sometimes worth it. BTW, Blick has a 10% in-store discount with their rewards card.

The Fine Art Store, is the place to be however...Every pastel you see online, they carry in stock, but they are in the middle of nowhere..lol About an 8 hr trip from me in NJ.

blr2449
11-01-2014, 09:38 PM
It's the same as when I did a lot lampworking (glass beads) and knitting. The really good places to shop were a day trip or longer away.

What bugs me is that Kalamazoo had two large universities with art programs and we only have Hobby Lobby and Michaels (nothing against them). Grand RApids is only 60 miles and they don't have a bigger name art store, either. in fact I do not believe there is one Blick, Jerry's or other art store in all of Michigan.

wakeup&create!
11-02-2014, 01:55 AM
that is wild Barbara. there should be an art store in Michigan considering the nee insurgence of artists into the team down areas. I've seen docs about artists moving to Detroit... I've seen entire neighborhoods being turned into art exhibits. the buildings stores and houses themselves, painted by great artists. so if there are these great big art exhibits then where the hell are these artists getting Allan off their small scale supplies for canvas and paper work?? hmmm...

My world has been in a bubble for so long. i live with my mom and elder brother and my mom does not drive out of town you see.. My mom does not drive on highways, believe it or not. so as you could imagine my life has been confined to my small town for the most part. we only eat fast food 2 or 3 times a year too, but that's a different story unrelated to my never seeing a real art store. lol.

but yes, I've recently located two art shops, each about 45 minutes away. so i will enjoy a trip out to look at and buy some pastels one of these days. i love that sennelier shop video on YouTube, i wish they'd upload a new one.