PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 14 Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
10-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Please type anything that is pertinent for the Paint Along 14 from Oct 25 to Nov 8 in this thread.

JELLYBEAD
10-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Will you have a reference for the first class?

mickisew
10-24-2014, 07:09 PM
The reference photo is on the student access page. This is the page you are directed to after you purchase and register for the class. Bookmark the page. It is the same for the three classes in PA 14.

Micki

Will you have a reference for the first class?

JELLYBEAD
10-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Mickie - thanks so much. I purchased but forgot to register. Did that now and got the correct page. So many thanks for your help, I must be having a senior moment.

JELLYBEAD
10-24-2014, 07:51 PM
I just noticed Mickie, I'm in Pinellas county!

jeanetteg
10-25-2014, 02:18 AM
Is there a password for the new paintalong?

JELLYBEAD
10-25-2014, 04:13 AM
The password is available after the first session has been presented/recorded. Johannes will send out an email a few days later that will include the password and link to the page. Then you can use it for the remainder of the Paint Along 14 classes.

The email will arrive as ImproveMyPaintings.com, so be sure it doesn't go to your spam folder.

Hope this helps.

Rosemarie
10-25-2014, 05:11 AM
You say you have the page now in one of you posts. There is a link to Livestream which you click on to get to the videos page. Do this well before the session starts so you can adjust your browser. I got a message today that I had to update the Adobe Flash otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch streaming videos in the browser.

Spenser
10-25-2014, 07:18 PM
I will be the first to comment on todays live class. When I saw the reference, I liked it. But when Jo said he would paint it in a night scene, my reaction was 'meh'. I don't care for night scenes. BUT... i just want to say it was phenomenal! Gorgeous finish, with so much information about how to approach the very unique lighting in a night scene. Thank you, Jo, and I cannot wait to play back the recording and paint along!

janinco
10-25-2014, 09:45 PM
The class was great! It's nice to watch someone work through the ugly stage and create such a gorgeous finished piece. It will be fun to see the interpretations.

Thanks, Jo!

Jan

LynnM
10-25-2014, 11:13 PM
I enjoyed it too, nice to see you here Jan! I hope I'll have something to post.....

LadyMadonna
10-30-2014, 11:37 AM
I have had a "harrowing " week . Hence I feel my painting reflects this emotion.

Alta Imp
10-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Felt like there should should be a pumpkin in here...maybe it's not too late! 12X16 oil on canvas board.
Barb

Johannes Instructor
10-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Felt like there should should be a pumpkin in here...maybe it's not too late! 12X16 oil on canvas board.
Barb
Oh my gosh Barb. It is a clone of my painting. I had to look real hard to realize it was not.

Johannes Instructor
10-30-2014, 05:24 PM
I have had a "harrowing " week . Hence I feel my painting reflects this emotion.
Your perspective is correct this time Donna.

Alta Imp
10-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Oh my gosh Barb. It is a clone of my painting. I had to look real hard to realize it was not.

Thanks Jo but when looking at your paintings, they speak to me because they are so painterly and I also admire the emotion in Lady Madonna's paintings. I struggle with using more paint a bigger brush but haven't managed to make that happen yet.

Barb

valh
10-31-2014, 07:30 PM
My effort re Oct 25 class. I've been working with a different palette and wasn't ready to change over, so I nixed the nocturn idea and tried to make it work. I had a huge value problem with this....looks ok in b&w (now)
I can't bring myself to put in any trees on right side(yet), not even after 'Gimperizing' my painting on the computer. I just haven't figured it out yet. I found this a real bear to paint . . . perhaps I shudda just painted along with Jo ............12 x16 oil on canvas pad

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2014/40174-PA14_wk_1scaledforWC.JPG

Spenser
10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Val, I really really like the mood and colours in this! I had a "whoa, I love that!" feeling when I first looked at it.

TeaTrekkie
10-31-2014, 10:03 PM
I'm not finished with my house yet, but I wanted to get some input before doing any more. This is my 4th acrylic painting (the others weren't near as big an adventure!) so it's been a learning experience. As you can tell, I took out a few of the harder parts (the cupula for one thing). :)

I am holding back on the front trees also (and the people). I might try to practice both of these things elsewhere and then when I feel more prepared, I will give it a go.

Any suggestions on my pitiful rocks? And does the path look like it's leading to the front porch okay? Any other thoughts?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2014/979990-IMG_2889_cropped_house_small.jpg

11-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I live in the KY hills, only satellite available with limited data. I've upgraded my package and added a download mgr. and hope I can view yesterdays class tomorrow. Anyone else with these issues.:confused:

jeanetteg
11-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Sorry I missed today's class but it wasn't raining and we had to get the potatoes dug. I look forward to the download as the finished photo of the painting is really nice.

Rosemarie
11-02-2014, 02:49 AM
Thank you, Johannes, for the class on 1 of november. Still after 4 years you are spilling golden nuggets and teaching how to get out of ugly stages.

Johannes Instructor
11-02-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm not finished with my house yet, but I wanted to get some input before doing any more. This is my 4th acrylic painting (the others weren't near as big an adventure!) so it's been a learning experience. As you can tell, I took out a few of the harder parts (the cupula for one thing). :)

I am holding back on the front trees also (and the people). I might try to practice both of these things elsewhere and then when I feel more prepared, I will give it a go.

Any suggestions on my pitiful rocks? And does the path look like it's leading to the front porch okay? Any other thoughts?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2014/979990-IMG_2889_cropped_house_small.jpg
The rocks are too light.

TeaTrekkie
11-02-2014, 09:52 AM
I will work on the rocks and see what I can do. Is everything else okay? Are there any good areas, bad areas, things I could fix?

Jacdesusbielle
11-03-2014, 12:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2014/1067432-image.jpg

I am not that pleased with the different planes in all that green. I did not separate the trees enough I think. When Jo says he will paint with pastel sticks, I think it will be rather easy for me... but it never is ! I am struggling all the same !
Anyway, it can be fun to struggle in such a pleasant company, so I enjoyed this class a lot. Thank you Jo.

LadyMadonna
11-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I really enjoyed painting this one ...I felt myself heading to overworking mode and put down the last pastel.
Ready for next weekend now !

JELLYBEAD
11-04-2014, 06:47 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2014/62974-ETroidl-wk1EveningLights.jpg

Hi Jo, Finally stopped working on this from the first class. It was more difficult for me than I thought it would be...the angles were hard for me. I left out the people because I'd make it look worse than it already is. I tried for a bit of a difference from your painting, but in the end it turned out resembling it anyway, except for the color of the house. Guess I'm still hesitant to go with my imagination...but I'm still learning so guess thats OK for now. Also can't take a picture to save my soul! LOL

beart
11-04-2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2014/88528-IMG_1845_800x558.jpg

I had to resize this as it was over the limit of 2.3 mg.
I still think the building on right needs help.

valh
11-08-2014, 03:19 PM
My effort for week 2 of Session #14.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/40174-Val_IMG_1216.JPG

susy q
11-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Johannes thank you for the great lesson today. This was my favourite painting you have taught us. You totally manipulated my eye flow within the painting but you did it in a graceful subtle way. I appreciate you pulling through with your sore elbow, a truly dedicated teacher. Susy Q

Graleth
11-08-2014, 07:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.08JV-PA14-12sm.jpg

Hi all,
This is my work in progress for PA 14, roughly about two hours into the video (Image seems to have come out a bit squashed). Very sorry to hear you have hurt your arm, Johannes. I hope today's session (PA 14 pt3) did not hurt too much. As you could tell, everybody appreciated you carrying on the way you did. I was late starting the class and did not hear how it happened.

Take care,

Ivor Cogdell :wave:

Graleth
11-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Hi there,
Your rocks all the same tone, darken the ones on the left so they are much darker than those on the right, since they are in shadow from the left house (apart from maybe a sliver of light on the right edge -like a new moon) and further away from the right house lamp. the ones on the right closest to the window will get reflected light from the lamp in the garden (if you decide to put a light in it, I don't think Jo did) AND the window on the right, so adjust colours to match.
Regarding the path, I would change the green of one set of flowers (either left or right) so that you can tell they are not connected.
I like your brickwork on the house on the right, I still need to adjust my line. Good idea to simplify the left side of the far house, I may use that as an option too, depending on how mine turns out.

Hope that helps.

Ivor

Graleth
11-08-2014, 08:21 PM
My effort re Oct 25 class. I've been working with a different palette and wasn't ready to change over, so I nixed the nocturn idea and tried to make it work. I had a huge value problem with this....looks ok in b&w (now)
I can't bring myself to put in any trees on right side(yet), not even after 'Gimperizing' my painting on the computer. I just haven't figured it out yet. I found this a real bear to paint . . . perhaps I shudda just painted along with Jo ............12 x16 oil on canvas pad

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2014/40174-PA14_wk_1scaledforWC.JPG

Hi Valh and the gang,
You got a great result going with what you feel is your way, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you achieve if you experiment with the video too. Try it out, either way, you will have learnt something.

Ivor

Graleth
11-08-2014, 08:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2014/88528-IMG_1845_800x558.jpg

I had to resize this as it was over the limit of 2.3 mg.
I still think the building on right needs help.

Hi Beart and the gang,
I think the tree branches in the garden of the nearest house would be darker against the brickwork of the house opposite. Apart from that, a very nice blend. Softer edges on the nearby house work well and direct you towards the main house. I hope mine turns out as nice.

Ivor

Graleth
11-08-2014, 08:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.08JV-PA14-12sm.jpg

Hi all,
This is my work in progress for PA 14, roughly about two hours into the video (Image seems to have come out a bit squashed). Very sorry to hear you have hurt your arm, Johannes. I hope today's session (PA 14 pt3) did not hurt too much. As you could tell, everybody appreciated you carrying on the way you did. I was late starting the class and did not hear how it happened.

Take care,

Ivor Cogdell :wave:

Looking at my image, I notice that the house in the background looks like it is bolted on to the main house, so that needs fixing. I'm not totally impressed with my clouds either. Darken the sky ? Thin out the clouds ? The Inverted V of the house roof needs to be darker too.

Regards all,

Ivor

Akajun
11-09-2014, 01:16 PM
This is my first ever post although I have been a member for many years. I enjoyed the third class yesterday as usual and I learned so much. Jo, Thank you for everything and I hope that your elbow heals as it should. Frances

LadyMadonna
11-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I did my work in oils but you have inspired me to try watercolours ! Thank you Jo and get well soon.

susy q
11-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Johannes, hope your elbow is getting better. Seeing you push through on Saturday will also make me work harder at my art. I turned the second lesson grid drawing into a photoshop pdf file and was then able to use the very valuable Poster printing feature, thank you for mentioning that to us. It is great to use technology so we can get straight to the golden nuggets!

DMags
11-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Donna, you, and others here, have inspired me over the last several months while I've been reading through many of the threads related to Jo's classes through WetCanvas. Thanks to all of you.

Dan

DMags
11-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Is this the correct area to post our picture (for critique) from the watercolor paintalong on November 8?

Dan

DesertDesigns
11-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Yes.

DMags
11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi Jo, thank you for the lessons - I’ve learned so much.

Here is my first painting for your critique. I painted concurrently with you during the Paintalong and found it quite challenging, given the limited amount of information I had to work with. I knew there were going to be some deer and a few trees - a bit of explanation before we started as to what you had in mind with the other abstract shapes (i.e., these will be rocks, water will be coming down this way, this is snow, etc.) would have helped me know where I was going. Also, I knew the basic colors we were going to use for this painting, but since I couldn’t see what you were mixing, I never really knew where you were getting your colors from, as you didn’t speak about colors during the process of painting.

I know that I’m a beginner and I should probably keep my mouth shut, as I can see that there are some very talented folks that have been artists for many years following your teachings. Their innate understanding and experience with the abstract shapes and color-mixing we were dealing with probably makes it easy for them to follow along and make great art. All of my color-mixing experience has come from your video, “Watercolor Landscape Painting Essentials”, which I got the week before the class.

So, with that said, please critique. And, until Jo is feeling up to it, I would welcome critiques from others as well. Thank you in advance.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2014/1964325-Watercolor_-_Dans_First.JPG

Rosemarie
11-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Dan, all 3 classes in Paint Along 14 can be posted here! But for critique it is better to use the student critique thread.

fruhulda

TeaTrekkie
11-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Dan, all 3 classes in Paint Along 14 can be posted here! But for critique it is better to use the student critique thread.

fruhulda
Well, I didn't realize that about critiques. As a side note, fruhulda, how did you manage to do that cool avatar? I guess being able to add your own personal one hasn't been working for a couple years (!) now.

mickisew
11-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi Jo, thank you for the lessons - I’ve learned so much.

Here is my first painting for your critique. I painted concurrently with you during the Paintalong and found it quite challenging, given the limited amount of information I had to work with. I knew there were going to be some deer and a few trees - a bit of explanation before we started as to what you had in mind with the other abstract shapes (i.e., these will be rocks, water will be coming down this way, this is snow, etc.) would have helped me know where I was going. Also, I knew the basic colors we were going to use for this painting, but since I couldn’t see what you were mixing, I never really knew where you were getting your colors from, as you didn’t speak about colors during the process of painting.

I know that I’m a beginner and I should probably keep my mouth shut, as I can see that there are some very talented folks that have been artists for many years following your teachings. Their innate understanding and experience with the abstract shapes and color-mixing we were dealing with probably makes it easy for them to follow along and make great art. All of my color-mixing experience has come from your video, “Watercolor Landscape Painting Essentials”, which I got the week before the class.

So, with that said, please critique. And, until Jo is feeling up to it, I would welcome critiques from others as well. Thank you in advance.

DMags: First off, this is the place to make comments and ask questions. Please, never feel you need to "keep your mouth shut". Conversation is always welcome.

As for information / explanation, I am one of those students who has been with Johannes from the beginning. We all get the same information from the student access page, so we are all in the same boat. Speaking only for myself, I do not always know what Jo is thinking or how he will proceed with a painting. He has, in fact, changed his mind during the painting process.

The knowledge of abstract shapes comes with taking the paint along classes and we (I) still have to go back and have a challenge. Color mixing is covered in Jo's course that you purchased. There are no set formulas because you have to see the mix on your palette and how the mix applies to your painting. I hope I am saying that correctly. Jo tends to be very generous in the amount of pigment he places in the mixing area, so unless you are on the end of his brush it would be difficult to match his hues. LOL

Anyway, welcome. If you have any questions just ask; if you have comments, please say something.

Micki

Graleth
11-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Hi gang,
I've been with WC for a while, but I've only just found this section, I thought it was for JV's students to comment / advise each other on work done. What is the difference in the Critique section to this one ? Do we have a link to it ?

Regards all,

Ivor

mickisew
11-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi gang,
I've been with WC for a while, but I've only just found this section, I thought it was for JV's students to comment / advise each other on work done. What is the difference in the Critique section to this one ? Do we have a link to it ?

Regards all,

Ivor

Ivor: In this thread we only put questions, comments, paintings, etc. per the title - Paint Along 14. The Critique Section is if you want Johannes to critique any painting.

All the threads are found on the main page:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

Micki

DMags
11-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Thank you Mickie, that helps puts my thoughts in "perspective".

Dan

Graleth
11-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks for sorting that out, Micki. I will take a look now.

Ivor

beart
11-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks a bunch Ivor, appreciated it.

Rosemarie
11-15-2014, 07:38 AM
It has gone a week and only one has uploaded the last class effort. I would love to see some to get the inspiration to try my brushes on the vignette.

Jacdesusbielle
11-15-2014, 09:27 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2014/1067432-image.jpg
Had a lot of difficulties to get this photo straight in Wet Canvas. Pastel on Colourfix. Even with water on pastel, I think the result is different from watercolor. Enjoyed putting animals in the scenery.
Thanks Jo for this amazing class.

Rosemarie
11-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Great job! I wouldn't have dared to try this in pastel but then again I don't paint much pastel

bforeman
11-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi,

I have been recovering from broken ribs, so no painting along with Jo but after attending his classes over the past 3 months or so, one of my old paintings really needed adjustment, I couldn't stand it any longer. I have tweaked it since. You can see the before and after in the two images. Jo is a fantastic instructor, so giving of info, reminding me of what I once knew, and had forgotten.:clap: The Painting from Photos class did it, "make the image better than the photo" that rang a bell for me. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2014/1890439-Cathedral-rock-Sedona-watermarked.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2014/1890439-CRock_Oak_Creek_4x6b.jpg

susy q
11-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Water mixable oils on Arches Oil sheet 12 x 16. Lost the wildlife line sketch during the painting so these look like they are on steroids compared to yours but I still like the feel of this piece. Cannot make oil paints into watercolours for sure but we can borrow some of the looks....there is impasto on the snow drifts which you cannot get with WC. This was a fun practice piece and now I know just how good you are Johannes that you could do this live with a cast on!!!:)

Graleth
11-19-2014, 06:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.19-AC-JV-2b.jpg

Hi all, Second attempt at this post. Really enjoying it. (I did my moon before Jo did his.

Ivor

Graleth
11-19-2014, 08:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.20-AC-JV-3sm.jpg

Hi Jo and the gang, Main edits- Darkened the steps on the right, got rid of the tree far left in the "no fly zone", added a lawn in front of the house to give a better sense of the driveway, added rocks to break up the straight line, pruined the flowers a bit to reveal more of the porch, added a picture in the right house room wall.made the sky's graduated plane stand out better.
By the way what would that tiny attic type room at the top be used for ? Not really sure how big it would be in real life, but looking at the layout of the house, I don't really see a point to it, unless just for the views

Regards all,

Ivor

Pastelist-Judith
11-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Hi Jo,

Finally I think I've figured out Wet Canvas! I'm one of your new students and am excited to learn from you. I'm attaching an image from the 11/1 paint along. Sorry it's grainy - I used pan pastel for the 1st time on Wallis - don't use Wallis - it's too grainy. Anyway, I would appreciate your critique.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2014/1963440-PAINT_ALONG_14_L2.jpg
Judith

TeaTrekkie
11-20-2014, 01:54 PM
...added a lawn in front of the house to give a better sense of the driveway, added rocks to break up the straight line, pruined the flowers a bit to reveal more of the porch, added a picture in the right house room wall.made the sky's graduated plane stand out better.
By the way what would that tiny attic type room at the top be used for ? Not really sure how big it would be in real life, but looking at the layout of the house, I don't really see a point to it, unless just for the views

Regards all,

Ivor
I love the entryway, the steps, sidewalk; everything that you changed looks great! And as for the small attic room, I'm with you on that one. Mine disappeared, becoming part of the sky. ;)

*Deirdre*
11-20-2014, 06:27 PM
My antelope wandering herd looks like a six year old did the animals (Apologies to any six year olds looking in!)...but I tried - Pastels on AS colourfix

I made it snow though!!:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2014/33616-deer.jpg

Graleth
11-20-2014, 07:58 PM
I love the entryway, the steps, sidewalk; everything that you changed looks great! And as for the small attic room, I'm with you on that one. Mine disappeared, becoming part of the sky. ;)

Hi TeaTrekkie and the gang, Glad you liked my tweaks. I had to do overtime at work tonight, so could not work on my rendition, hopefully Friday night though. Just musing on the house again, would it be open plan and kitchen downstairs with central stairs leading to 4 bedrooms upstairs plus attic ?.

Regards all,

Ivor

Graleth
11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi Jo,

Finally I think I've figured out Wet Canvas! I'm one of your new students and am excited to learn from you. I'm attaching an image from the 11/1 paint along. Sorry it's grainy - I used pan pastel for the 1st time on Wallis - don't use Wallis - it's too grainy. Anyway, I would appreciate your critique.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2014/1963440-PAINT_ALONG_14_L2.jpg
Judith

Hi Judith, I am still doing the previous house and have not seen the film clip of that tutorial yet, but I like how your piece has turned out, I'm glad you framed it, its nice to have some of your work on show. Don't forget the demo class on the 22nd, I think pastels again (check the website).

Regards all,

Ivor

Pastelist-Judith
11-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Hi Judith, I am still doing the previous house and have not seen the film clip of that tutorial yet, but I like how your piece has turned out, I'm glad you framed it, its nice to have some of your work on show. Don't forget the demo class on the 22nd, I think pastels again (check the website).

Regards all,

Ivor

Hi Ivor,
Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate it. I will definitely be tuning in for the 22nd pastel demo. I've also signed up for the next paint along. Can't wait. Is it okay to post other work in progress here?

Graleth
11-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi Ivor,
Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate it. I will definitely be tuning in for the 22nd pastel demo. I've also signed up for the next paint along. Can't wait. Is it okay to post other work in progress here?

Hi Judith and the gang, Its ok to post work in progress for Paint Along 14 subjects, which are the house, the bridge in the forest and the deer. I've not been on for a while, but I would hope there is a general area to chat for students of JV, (links anyone ?) there is a general topics page for pastels and each of the other mediums where you can post your latest work or ask for advice.

Ivor

*Deirdre*
11-21-2014, 05:47 PM
It's very easy to find the other forums for posting your picture or getting advice on pastels, watercolours, acrylics or oils....just scroll to the very bottom of this thread...where you'll see forum jump...use it! You can return here the same way too!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/33616-forum-jump.jpg

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2014, 06:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2014/1067432-image.jpg
Had a lot of difficulties to get this photo straight in Wet Canvas. Pastel on Colourfix. Even with water on pastel, I think the result is different from watercolor. Enjoyed putting animals in the scenery.
Thanks Jo for this amazing class.
You succeeded at creating a vignette but I feel the main rock is too rectangular.

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Regards all,

Ivor

I try to avoid repeating values in the foreground and the background. Also watch the rocks being triangular. Our symmetrical brain creeps in when you least expect it.

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I have been recovering from broken ribs, so no painting along with Jo but after attending his classes over the past 3 months or so, one of my old paintings really needed adjustment, I couldn't stand it any longer. I have tweaked it since. You can see the before and after in the two images. Jo is a fantastic instructor, so giving of info, reminding me of what I once knew, and had forgotten.:clap: The Painting from Photos class did it, "make the image better than the photo" that rang a bell for me. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2014/1890439-Cathedral-rock-Sedona-watermarked.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2014/1890439-CRock_Oak_Creek_4x6b.jpg
You designed your rocky ground well. The melodic line is good too. I would vary the greens a bit more for more interest. You can add some yellow ochre to them. Also I would echo some greens into the pink rocks to establish more color harmony. You can use the excuse of grass to justify this.

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Free Pan Pastel Painting Demo with Johannes Vloothuis | November 22nd 1:00 PM ET

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2014/135220-AthabascaFallsindex.jpg

Register here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/816455217

Join Johannes Vloothuis, one of the world's most popular art instructors for a free painting workshop. He will demonstrate a new product called PanPastel. This medium can be considered as a crossover between oils and watercolor. This is what Johannes says, “This exciting medium eliminates the headaches most artists have with pigment application. Amazing, you can even erase it! “ He will start a painting from scratch and finish it as it materializes right before your eyes. You will be able to ask questions live and text chat with hundreds of fellow artists. In case you cannot attend live, you can watch the replay. All you need to do is click on this link to sign up. It is free.

Date: November 22
Time: 1 to 4 PM Eastern Time or anytime for the recording.
Cost: Free

Johannes is an official instructor for Northlight, publishers of most art books and magazines sold in bookstores around in many countries. He is endorsed by the PanPastel company. He has taught over 15,000 artists via online classes including professionals. Northlight names him, “A master painter”. For more info: http://improvemypaintings.com

Graleth
11-22-2014, 08:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/57597-DSCF8172asm.JPG

Before tree.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2014/57597-DSCF8203asm.JPG

After tree, I gave it a bit of a prune, in no fly zone. will check rocks again, thanks.

Ivor

DMags
11-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Jo, great demo yesterday! I'm learning so much from watching you work, and hearing your interactions with students. When you have a chance, I would appreciate it if you could critique my watercolor vignette on page 3 of this thread (from watercolor Paintalong 14).

Best!
Dan

LadyMadonna
11-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Learning from yesterday's demo.. I have a difficult time with mountains so this was a great learning lesson for me. Thanks again Jo for all you do for us.

Graleth
11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Learning from yesterday's demo.. I have a difficult time with mountains so this was a great learning lesson for me. Thanks again Jo for all you do for us.

Hi Donna,
Great result there. Was that done in Pan Pastels or normal ? Maybe a slightly paler blue at the bottom of the mountains ? I think you have nailed it, i really like the way the sunlight is hitting the tops of the mountain and gradually disperses as it gets blocked by the clouds. Another one for the frame.

Regards all,

Ivor

LadyMadonna
11-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks Ivor ..this is a variety of pastel sticks on Uart paper. I never used the pans for this one.

Graleth
11-24-2014, 08:39 PM
11-23-2014 07:39 PM
LadyMadonna Thanks Ivor ..this is a variety of pastel sticks on Uart paper. I never used the pans for this one.

Hi Donna and the gang, I've not bought any pastel paper yet, is that on the rough side or the smooth side ? Do you intend to put fixative spray on before putting it in a frame ?

Did anyone else do this demo with Jo ? I wonder if Brenda, the "Pan Pastel" lady had a go ?

Regards all,

Ivor

Graleth
11-25-2014, 04:37 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.25-AC-JV-5sm.jpg

Hi all, Here is my completed picture for Paint along 14 pt 1.

Since I have put this on my website, I was wondering if I had put on all the correct copyright information that I should.

<br />"A Quiet Moment" - 12" x 9" Canvas. 8th - 25th November.<br />
<a href="www.improvemypaintings.com">Johannes Vloothuis</a> Paint along No.14<br />

Below the painting and

at the bottom of the page.

Is there anything else I need to add, Johannes ?

Many thanks all,

Ivor

Johannes Instructor
11-26-2014, 07:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2014/57597-2014.11.25-AC-JV-5sm.jpg

Hi all, Here is my completed picture for Paint along 14 pt 1.

Since I have put this on my website, I was wondering if I had put on all the correct copyright information that I should.

<br />"A Quiet Moment" - 12" x 9" Canvas. 8th - 25th November.<br />
<a href="www.improvemypaintings.com">Johannes Vloothuis</a> Paint along No.14<br />

Below the painting and

at the bottom of the page.

Is there anything else I need to add, Johannes ?

Many thanks all,

Ivor
Ivor painting nicely done. Thanks for giving me credit. When people mention me I could get more students.

LadyMadonna
11-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi Ivor ..like many others I never use a final fixative just frame under glass with a double mat or spacers so the pastel does not touch. I like to use a sanded paper there are many on the market . I use to use Wallis but it is very hard to get so Uart or Colourfix are good choices. You can even make your own on plain old mat board with clear gesso.

Graleth
11-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks Donna,
I will have to visit my local art shop and see what they have.

Regards all,

Ivor

bforeman
11-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Thank you for the comments.

Rosemarie
12-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Finally! I managed to finish the WC vignette. It was a bit nerve wrecking but taking one step at the time I managed to not screw the painting up. I am happy with the result. Please tell me if anything is sticking out in a negative way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2014/2623-DSCN3225korr.jpg

Have a good day!

Graleth
12-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Finally! I managed to finish the WC vignette. It was a bit nerve wrecking but taking one step at the time I managed to not screw the painting up. I am happy with the result. Please tell me if anything is sticking out in a negative way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2014/2623-DSCN3225korr.jpg

Have a good day!

Hi Rosemarie and the Gang, I like it, everything works nicely.

Ivor

JELLYBEAD
12-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Rosemarie - this is wonderful. I like all of but especially the background shapes and negative painting. I wonder what the elk is thinking as he's looking at us. LOL

Rosemarie
12-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Thank you Jellybead and Garleth! The Elk thinks: Welcome to my part of the world!!!