PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Cat Palette: Any Ideas??

Bastet469
10-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

Below is a photo of my Seal Point Siamese cat Bastet who died about a year ago at the ripe old age of 17. Believe it or not, I took this photo only two years prior to her death. Not a grey hair on her. I wish I could say the same. Lol. I'm thinking about doing a portrait from this photo but I'm unsure on colors.

I'd actually looked into it a few years ago when Bastet was still alive. I even took her to the art supply store (she was cool that way) to compare colors to her fur and eyes. She was a big hit with everyone at the store but I struck out finding matching colors out of the tube. At the time, mixing my own colors seemed too daunting so I gave up the idea. But being a member of this forum has inspired me.

So I'm asking everybody what colors (acrylic or oil) would be on your palette for this portrait and how would you mix them? I'll be using acrylics. Has anyone actually painted Siamese cats or know someone who has? I'd love to see their work. Also, what brush do you think works best to paint animal hair? Is there a particular stroke technique you employ?

Thanks
-Wendy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2014/1471998-2013-10-10_05.48.26.jpeg

llawrence
10-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I would say a perfect starting color for these animals would be Vandyck Brown and lead white, with small amounts of raw and/or burnt sienna where needed.

I'm thinking in oils. I see you'll be working in acrylics - I don't know if there is an equivalent to Vandyck brown in that medium. If not, I'm sure you could substitute burnt umber for the Vandyck, with perhaps a bit more modification necessary with the siennas.

llawrence
10-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Just playing around with paints on the palette - another good starting point to get that coffee-with-cream look might be a brown ochre darkened with burnt umber and/or raw umber (a dark one) and grayed/lightened with white.

Mythrill
10-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Hi, Wendy!

The pigments in oils and acrylics will be nearly identical.

As llawrence said, you'll probably want an earth color, such as Burnt Umber or Raw Umber (both PBr 7). This will be the darkest parts of your kitten. Mix it with Titanium White (PW 6) and you'll have the areas of Bastet that seem yellow.

As for the eyes, you'll probably want Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) + Titanium White (PW 6) + a touch of Raw Umber (PBr 7). The ears will probably use a tint of Venetian Red (PR 101 or PR 102).

The coach will probably benefit from subtle grays from Ultramarine Blue (PB 29) + Raw Umber (PBr 7) + Titanium White (PW 6).

Considering what we have above, we have a very simple, effective palette:

Titanium White (PW 6)
Ultramarine Blue (PB 29)
Raw Umber or Burnt Umber (PBr 7)
Venetian Red / Transparent Red Iron Oxide (PR 101 or PR 102).I hope this helps!

joe publik
10-24-2014, 03:58 AM
I wish we could keep cats again. My little black mongrel farm cat lived to the age of 20. I love them but we travel too much.

The answer to your question is easy. Get your photo into one of the many photo editing programs out there. Photoshop is the best but not free. Then go to Christian Skeel's Paintmaker web site or acquire the free programs by Zsolt Kovacs. Use the edit program to acquire the color coordinates of the areas of interest. Enter the values into either one of the two paint matching apps - and there you have it. Check out multiple areas of interest and that will give you your palette.

So, for example, I can tell you that using Liquitex, the gray/fawn fur to the left of the cat's eye will be matched by:

Raw Sienna - 2 parts
Titanium White - 10 parts
Medium Magenta - 1 part
Light Emerald Green - 1 part

And so on and so on. It really works and both Christian and Zsolt are well documented here.

Joe.

bruin70
10-24-2014, 05:42 AM
black
some kinda brown
some kinda blue
creamy off-white, like a buff

white is too white,,,black is black,,,and there are a bazillion versions of brown - some says xxxx brown but every manufacturer has a different version of it. same with blue. there is a hint of red in the ear that is so minute you can use any red - the red in the ear has been muted to a point where it's purplish. buff whites are warm and enough not to need any additional warmth.

ultimately it only matters to you when YOU mix. it was your cat.

Bigcaat
10-24-2014, 06:41 PM
I can't help you with colors, but i wanted to tell you how sorry i am for your loss. What a beautiful girl and beautiful soul. We never stop missing them.

It's so healing to immortalize them in that way. Good luck with it. Let us see it when you're done. :)

Caat

Bastet469
10-27-2014, 12:27 AM
I can't help you with colors, but i wanted to tell you how sorry i am for your loss. What a beautiful girl and beautiful soul. We never stop missing them.

It's so healing to immortalize them in that way. Good luck with it. Let us see it when you're done. :)

Caat

Thank you so much Bigcaat.:)