PDA

View Full Version : Phthalo Green YS: Thumbs up or down?

Bastet469
10-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Hi,
I'm interested in folks' opinion of Phthalo Green (Yellow Shade). My blue shade of the color is low so I'm considering branching out by either replacing the blue with the yellow shade or buying both.

There is a very visible difference in hue between the yellow and blue shades. For landscape painters, I can see how having a selection of premixed greens is a timesaver.

However like me, most people have Phthalo Green (Blue Shade) alone on their palette. Being a newbie painter, my choice was predicated on ignorance due to the fact that I simply didn't know much about the yellow shade until now. The blue shade was widely recommended for limited palettes so I blindly got some.

I assumed the rationale, in part, was that the blue shade is more available and, in some cases, cheaper than the yellow shade. But before I make a decision, I'd like to know if the yellow shade has any artistic merit.

Look forward to hearing from everybody. 😊

-Wendy

Patrick1
10-20-2014, 03:25 AM
Yes...the Blue Shade is much more common, and I can only surmise because it's cheaper to manufacture...maybe Gigalot can explain the chemical manufacturing differences (chlorinated BS vs. chlorinated and brominated YS). On second thought, maybe asking him for an explanation is not a good idea :lol: . Surprisingly, the BS is much more common even in convenience colors where you would expect YS would be preferable and give a brighter mix...like in many bright convenience greens. Again, I can only guess that cost would be the reason.

I've used and like both. Both can mix very bright greens, but obviously the YS would mix slightly cleaner yellowish greens, and the BS would mix brighter turquoise colors. For landscapes where you occasionally need the absolute brightest backlit-by-sunlight foliage greens possible, YS for sure. Also YS doesn't look as 'artificial' as BS. Although if you need to mix your own Sap or Hookers Green, either can do that when mixed with something else (an appropriate transparent orange-yellow, orange, orange-brown, etc.).

The BS makes blacks with many reds, the YS with a smaller range of purplish-red pigments. Since I like mixing lots of darks & blacks from complements and near complements, choosing based on the mixed darks possible would be the more important deciding factor, rather than the differences in their hue by themselves. To me, having both would be superfluous. Decisions decisions. Whichever you choose...only get a small tube...it will last you much longer than it takes to get tired of that color. :thumbsup:

Mythrill
10-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi,
I'm interested in folks' opinion of Phthalo Green (Yellow Shade). My blue shade of the color is low so I'm considering branching out by either replacing the blue with the yellow shade or buying both.

There is a very visible difference in hue between the yellow and blue shades. For landscape painters, I can see how having a selection of premixed greens is a timesaver.

However like me, most people have Phthalo Green (Blue Shade) alone on their palette. Being a newbie painter, my choice was predicated on ignorance due to the fact that I simply didn't know much about the yellow shade until now. The blue shade was widely recommended for limited palettes so I blindly got some.

I assumed the rationale, in part, was that the blue shade is more available and, in some cases, cheaper than the yellow shade. But before I make a decision, I'd like to know if the yellow shade has any artistic merit.

Look forward to hearing from everybody. 😊

-Wendy
Hi, Wendy!

Phthalo Blue Green Shade (PG 7) is slightly more lightfast than the Phthalo Blue Yellow Shade (PG 36), but the yellow shade is easier to use.

The key to using the blue shade is to avoid using without mixing. It is too intense, so you'll want to mix it with a yellow first. If a primary yellow is too intense, try mixing it with Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide (PY 42) and, maybe, dulling it a bit with some red. It'll make much more pleasing colors!

The blue shade is also good to make teal. Mix it with Phthalo Blue Red Shade (PB 15:1) or Green Shade (PB 15:3), and you'll have a wonderful mix to paint skies and water.

If, after this, you still decide that the PG 7 is hard to use, then try PG 36. It's as Patrick said: it's much easier to use, and it makes pleasing greens more easily.

Another interesting option is Green Gold (PY 129). It can be used on its own or to create interesting golden hues with Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122).

llawrence
10-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Do I get to vote thumbs down if I can't stand either of them? :confused: :D

Patrick1
10-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Do I get to vote thumbs down if I can't stand either of them? :confused: :D

Here you go:

Quinacridone Gold
10-21-2014, 07:33 PM
I use the blue shade as it mixes with Pyrrol Crimson to make the most gorgeous deep blacks. It also makes amazing purples with Quin Rose, and great greens with Quin gold and burnt sienna.
If I were to have Quin magenta in my palette I would add Phthalo Green YS as that neturalises perfectly to make a range of greys and blacks.
Phthalo Green YS is easy to create by adding a touch of a light yellow to phthalo green BS so no need for both.

Bastet469
10-22-2014, 02:58 AM
It's so hard to decide.

I've been a color junkie since I was little. I was facinated by the prism teacher showed us in pre-school. My elementary school art teacher called my folks because I put a rainbow in every picture regardless of the assignment. I even ignored her after she specifically ordered me to stop. She did not like that. Neither did my folks. Lol.

If I had the money, I'd have paint companies send me their entire color lines. Even if I didn't use all of them, I'd be happy just looking at them on the shelf or making a bunch of MASSIVE swatch boards with them.

I guess everybody else here loves color like that too. It's really fun discussing it. I'm so glad I found this forum. :heart:

llawrence
10-22-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't consider myself a color lover, though some aspects of color theory fascinate me. I'm a paint lover - give me some good chunky earth colors to mix together and I'm happy swirling them around on the palette for hours. Give me the goop!

Damn, I guess I never did get grown up. Still playing in the mud. :D