PDA

View Full Version : Daler-Rowney Cryla Artists' Acrylics vs Winsor Newton Professional

Lust for life
10-19-2014, 04:50 PM
How do the latest formulations of these two brands compare side by side for heavy body consistency, pigment load, color shift, open time, tube quality and info labeling?

Mythrill
10-19-2014, 09:15 PM
How do the latest formulations of these two brands compare side by side for heavy body consistency, pigment load, color shift, open time, tube quality and info labeling?
Hi, Lust!

Dawler-Rowney (Cryla) has a better, more detailed opacity scale (ranging from 1 "transparent, to 12, "opaque"). It's also thicker.

Overall, it seems a great brand. Winsor & Newton has a better pigment selection, though.

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2014, 08:04 AM
I use both but my preference is for W&N.
There are colours I like in the DR range but overall I reach for the W&N.

Of the DR I have, they are THICK! - I prefer the creamier feel of the W&N

The plastic tops of the DR sometimes stick, even after cleaning before replacing and the centre of the top can come away from the larger surround - happened twice with me!

This thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589312&highlight=CRYLA)might help!
Those of us in the UK were offered sample sets to try and we did reports for Cryla - 2009 but probably still valid!:)

Lust for life
10-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Cryla is too thick? Cant you just add a little water to them?

Mythrill
10-20-2014, 01:34 PM
Cryla is too thick? Cant you just add a little water to them?

Hi, Lust!

Cryla is as thick as oils. Some people like it, and some don't.

If you want to use it more fluidly, you can always use some flow medium. I use Winsor & Newton's, which requires using 20ml of their medium + 200 ml water. Then, you add a few drops, and voilá! Fluid.

Of course, if you don't have it around, you can try a mix of 50% alcohol and 50% water.

Andrew
10-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Thick doesn't bother me, I use Utrecht and Lukas, both of which are very heavy bodied.

Of these two, I lean toward the WN. Certainly not as viscous as I prefer, but very consistent lot to lot. The Daler-Rowney I have not found it to be as consistent and the majority of tubes I have purchased have had an overwhelming ammonia odour (Ammonia is used to adjust viscosity at the end of manufacturing the polymer dispersion). Not detrimental for use, but rather unpleasant in the studio.

Andrew

Lust for life
10-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks Andrew, I notice some brands have a smell to them, is that ammonia? I notice M Graham and Golden dont have too much of an odor to them. I was told ammonia wears out brushes faster, so maybe its best to stay away from the smelly brands.

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Did you check that link I gave you? Many opinions based on experiment there!

Lust for life
10-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Ok thanks Maureen.

Lust for life
10-20-2014, 07:26 PM
I remember reading that thread 5 years ago. Cryla hasn't changed in 5 years? Winsor and Newton have I believe.

Lust for life
10-21-2014, 12:01 PM
I bought 2 tubes of Cryla to evaluate. I unscrewed the caps and smelled very little odor.

Mythrill
10-21-2014, 01:07 PM
I bought 2 tubes of Cryla to evaluate. I unscrewed the caps and smelled very little odor.

Hi, Lust!

I have Nickel Titanium Yellow (PY 53) from Cryla, and I love it. Can you show how your tubes look like regarding color? How thick are they?

Lust for life
10-28-2014, 02:45 PM
I thought I would try Cryla since they have a good selection of colors, really nice large tubes and caps, and very good prices. So I bought 2 tubes, Coeruleum blue and Permanent Violet. I was hoping I would love this paint and buy more, but will probably throw it in the trash instead! This paint has low pigment load,Cerulean blue is supposed to be opaque not semi transparent like the Cryla Coeruleum. The paint is very clumpy. Any water in your brush will clump it up. It doesn't mix well with water, acrylics are supposed to mix well with water. I would not call this an artist grade paint, more like a beginners paint at best. The paint has such a cheap feel and look to it. The tubes and the labeling are great though, and the price is good too.
Winsor and Newton has such a wonderful creamy feel to it compared to Cryla. Winsor and Newton feels oily, Cryla feels like jello.

Mythrill
11-09-2014, 12:13 PM
I thought I would try Cryla since they have a good selection of colors, really nice large tubes and caps, and very good prices. So I bought 2 tubes, Coeruleum blue and Permanent Violet. I was hoping I would love this paint and buy more, but will probably throw it in the trash instead! This paint has low pigment load,Cerulean blue is supposed to be opaque not semi transparent like the Cryla Coeruleum. The paint is very clumpy. Any water in your brush will clump it up. It doesn't mix well with water, acrylics are supposed to mix well with water. I would not call this an artist grade paint, more like a beginners paint at best. The paint has such a cheap feel and look to it. The tubes and the labeling are great though, and the price is good too.
Winsor and Newton has such a wonderful creamy feel to it compared to Cryla. Winsor and Newton feels oily, Cryla feels like jello.

Hi, Lust!

The "jello" consistency you seem to experience is the paint tube going bad. It might dry soon. In order to use it, mix it evenly with a palette knife and add a few drops of retarder.

As for Cerluean Blue, I have the one from the Finity line, and I can surely tell it's transparent. Being transparent, though, it's excellent for glazing and not overpowering other colors.