PDA

View Full Version : Rob's Cropping Method and other errata

robertsloan2
10-18-2014, 02:09 PM
I added And Other Errata so if folks post something good from class or chat to share, here it goes!

I use GIMP - you get it at http://www.gimp.org - it's a free photo altering and digital art program a lot like Photoshop, can do anything Photoshop can, but is a bit different in how to handle. It's user friendly though, it has tips that come up when booted anda good Help thing. Everything's on drop down menus from the window your photo comes up in.

Open the photo reference in Gimp. Make the window as big as you can on screen. Then move the sides of the window to crop. Maybe enlarge the photo with View menu - just Zoom In and then move the sides of the window to get the shape and size of your picture. Move the sliders to position your photo within the window.

I will say put a window exactly 5" x 7" on screen, or 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" to get that proportion, then slide the photo around in it to get the best crop. And enlarge, keeping the window to the proportions of the painting. This is when I decide I want to do something a specific standard size. If not, I create the crop I want and then lay it out proportional on the paper to do an odd shape of painting and just mat it to fit in a standard frame.

Either way once I have the crop just right, I can save it by using Rectangular Select to pick out the cropped area right at the edges, then COPY (Ctrl+ C) and open a new file and PASTE (Ctrl + P) into the new file, save it as a JPG and it will be permanently there as "Landscape-lake-crop.jpg" or some such file name. Or crop1, crop2 etc. Always give useful file names to photo refs including whose photo it is if it's not yours but you have permission!

Spenser
10-31-2014, 08:53 AM
Hello Rob
Another great tool we mentioned in class is an app for ipad and iphone, called Value Viewer. It was created by and for plein artists and is available through the app store. You can open an existing image, or even take a picture with your ipad/iphone, and convert it to greyscale, notan or levels. You can also change the degree of light and dark, crop, and size the image to whatever your canvas size is, and add a choice of grids. It is very easy to use and very useful to see your composition and values. The image then can be saved and printed, and printing it out with the grid is handy when you want to draw the image on your paper or canvas.
The app does cost $4.99

Banner
11-01-2014, 02:16 AM
Thank you for your tips vey useful kind regards to you both Marinne

Akajun
12-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Hello Robert. I finally did a painting and I was pleased with the result. My daughter just recommended Gimp to me so I am going to check it out soon. It seems like the older versions of Photoship Elements were easier to use. I tried posting my photo to the critique section but it didn't go through. I am going to try again shortly. I am having problems figureing out Wet Canvas. Thanks Frances