PDA

View Full Version : Third painting done

TeaTrekkie
10-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I promise I won't keep going with this theme (4th, 5th, etc.), but since this is the second one of the 'class' I'm taking online, it's more like part 2 of my other post. Anyway......my daughter calls it 'The Gumdrop Tree.' I learned a lot from this painting. The main thing was to not scrap off a bump of dried paint. I ended up pulling up an inch of paint right down to the white canvas!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2014/979990-IMG_2824_smaller.jpg

TeaTrekkie
10-18-2014, 03:45 PM
I meant to not 'scrape.' Sorry, I'm working on 3 hours sleep....

asmith38
10-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Cool tree! Gumdrop, lol, I like that name you should keep it :).

Charlie's Mum
10-18-2014, 05:44 PM
I like the name too!
Nice that you feel you're learning all the time - I like this tree!:)

chammi kaiser
10-19-2014, 07:15 AM
I also like the name. It is fun. Great to see you experimenting and enjoying yourself. I like your tree .

TeaTrekkie
10-19-2014, 12:31 PM
It's kind of a pathetic painting, but you guys are nice. :) The colors are way better in person at least. I guess that's usually the case unless you can take the picture outdoors.

Next up, thinking of trying oil painting. I need to see which odor I can stand better. Acrylics might be giving me a headache, but oil could be worse. I'm going over to Dick Blick today and see what they might have on sale in oils and acrylics.

Did I mention that my son moved out about 2 months ago and I now have his old room to make into my studio? (that sounded so artsy!) Right now, it's pretty empty, except for my paint stuff, desk, and computer. It is the best room in the house for painting with its great westerly window. So, I think Dick Blick will be seeing more of me in the coming days. :)

LavenderFrost
10-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Nice painting, very wintery. You do have to watch for when the paint is at the tacky stage, it can be pulled off easily. It needs to be very wet or very dry.

That's great that you have a room to work in. I love my art/craft/computer room. The west window might be a problem though, too much sun, but a light filtering blind might help. A north window is ideal but we don't always get a choice.

TeaTrekkie
10-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks! Yes, that was super scary when the paint started to peel off. But I remained calm (and stopped peeling!) since I knew the mosaic nature of this painting would cover it up anyways. And it did!

As for the window, I do have a blind over it AND can move my painting to another area of the room away from the afternoon light. Just so nice to have my own space. :cool:

Ferlian
10-19-2014, 05:11 PM
I like the painting a lot for the dreamy quality it possesses. And gumdrop tree is such a fun name!

Ferlian

ColinS
10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
I very much like it. It is fun and creative.

TeaTrekkie
10-19-2014, 09:13 PM
I wish I could take full credit for the creative aspect of this, but actually, I did a Craftsy class and the teacher should get a lot of the credit. He painted a tree, a bit different, but similar. It's called Painting the Imagined Landscape in Acrylics. I can't link it since it would go to my class page and then it wouldn't work for you. But it's just Craftsy.com and then go to painting classes. :)

East Sun
10-20-2014, 08:46 PM
It stirs the imagination. I like the 'snowflakes'

Jim

Dcam
10-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Unique and original. Makes a nice solid statement in color and composition.
Derek