PDA

View Full Version : Question about unison portraits set

mrjhsd
10-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Awhile ago I got a few of the portrait unisons from dickblick( p1, p4, p5, p8 ,p9,p10) and I loved the blue one I believe was p9 or p10. So recently I ordered the set of portraits from Jackson's (p1-p12) and there was no blue in fact all the colors are different. Is there a reason for the two different sets?

Barbara WC
10-14-2014, 10:51 PM
That is very strange!

I was just at my local, independent art store, north of San Francisco today, looking at their Unison display, and was looking at the "P" portrait colors (none of which I have, but have many other RE, BE and others that are useful to me). And on the display rack, you are correct, P10, at least in this store, is a beautiful blue (I almost bought it, but put it back because I have so many other blues!)

And now, this is what I found at Unison- no blue in the set! http://unisoncolour.com/our-range/the-range/portrait-1-12

I guess they changed their Portrait range, but that is disappointing. I believe P1-3 was the same in the store as the new set (I have never picked them up thinking they are a little too orange), and there was a color on the display rack that was sort of a deep magenta, mauve type color that I don't think is in the new set (I don't remember the number- maybe P6 or 7).

I wonder why the change? Perhaps you could e-mail Unison directly and ask...

robertsloan2
10-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Oh that is strange. I wonder if they just renamed it and put it into a different range? I hadn't thought about it but I'd expect a blue to be in a portrait range along with a green and a violet, even if muted - actually significant violets. Don't they realize you sometimes get blue eyes or men with dark beards who shave or shadows with sky reflections?

Barbara WC
10-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Robert- I don't think the P1-12 are meant as a portrait set per se. I had the feeling when I first saw the "Portrait" colors a couple of years ago, that they were a strange mix- more like "add on" colors that might be useful in a portrait, but not meant as a portrait set.

Looking at the new P1-P12, they should almost call this "Flesh Tones", although I personally like some of the Red Earths and Brown Earths better as flesh tones (I'm comparing to the old P1-P10).

robertsloan2
10-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Yeah. I went to the Sets and even the 8 color Portrait set has a blue in it. So the nice blue may well be there in a Portraits set but not part of that 12 pale flesh tones Portrait range. Mystery might be solved there.

Ruthie57
10-15-2014, 02:30 PM
I can't remember a P series in the Unison range. Maybe Dick Blick made a portrait set and gave the colours it's own numbering? Here is a link to the Unison website with all their colours. Hope it helps! http://unisoncolour.com/our-range/the-range
Well I never! I just went to the link and clicked on a pale pink colour and came up with the portrait set...or the P series...you learn something every day!