PDA

View Full Version : paper question

campeche
10-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Howdy!:wave:
I normally hale in the CP forum, but am dabbling in panpastels. I don't know if I made a mistake in investing in them before sticks. Input encouraged.
Was playing around today on Canson MiTientes today. I've played a couple of times (i'm saying 3?) on sanded papers. I have always heard that you should wait for experience before painting on sanded papers. Tried the MiTientes paper today - and yikes! Really had a tough time of it. Any advice?

Equus Art
10-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Which side of the paper were you using? Their is a smooth side and a pebbled side. The smooth side works better with the Pans.

Cat

campeche
10-09-2014, 12:13 AM
ah! was using the textured side thinking that it may hold on to more pastel. miserable experiment.
aside from sanded papers (like the paper but eats the pan tools horribly), which other papers do you all suggest?

*Deirdre*
10-09-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm moving this thread to the Pastel Talk area of our forum as the Studio/Gallery if for Pictures....but don't worry, I'm leaving a redirect...just in case!:D

Other papers that work well with PanPastels are Clairfontaine Pastelmat and Art Spectrum Colourfix...which is LIGHTLY sanded.

robertsloan2
10-09-2014, 01:36 AM
Smooth side of Canson mi Tientes works a lot better, especially for pans. That textured side can work for sticks but more often on large paintings and if you want broken color with a regular pattern weave. Sanded paper rocks but yeah, eats Sofft tools. WHat works really well for Pans is ClaireFontaine PastelMat and similar coated papers, or maybe the very fine grain Uart 800 sanded... have yet to try that. But the softer coated papers, La Carte and PastelMat and Canson Suede sorts of papers can work well. It's the third type of paper that really goes well.

Also I think Pans would go well on Stonehenge, it's soft, smooth and toothy. Give that a go.

Barbara WC
10-09-2014, 02:50 AM
If you don't want to buy more paper, something I've had luck with is to actually lightly sand the smooth sided surface of Canson Mi-tientes- it raises the grain just a bit. I use P220 from the hardware store, sand lightly. Don't sand too much though, you'll get little pills. It creates a nice surface for both pans and sticks.

But I like PastelMat the best.

I haven't done many paintings with pans, just a few studies, so I'm not an expert, although it does seem people who use pans generally like PastelMat quite a bit.

A mistake buying pans over sticks? Probably not- both has their pluses and minuses, it depends how you like to work, and if you can acheive the look you are after with either one. I find it hard to paint abstractly with sticks, but with the different tools in pans, I've made some studies that don't look like my work at all! They can be freeing!

Overall, I prefer sticks mainly because stick to paper is so direct, whereas loading up a sponge to put onto paper takes a little more work. Maybe I'm lazy!

Have fun. So much to experiment with. Some people do underpainting studies and layout with pans, and then layer and do more detail with sticks. That is something I want to explore sometime. My pans sit mostly unused, but I'd like to use them more, and recently have been watching vidoes of people using underpaintings, including pans. Makes me want to get them out again and try using the for that purpose...

Enjoy!

campeche
10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone! Been pouring over youtube videos trying to learn as much as I can. Big help!