PDA

View Full Version : Her name was....Liberty.

artbymartin
10-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Well, Hello everyone:

I am not certain where to start since I have not posted here well over four (4) years....I cannot believe that it has been that long.
Even though I have not been that active as an artist due to life, work and pursuit of other interests, I have not forgotten all about it and created couple of pieces during those years.
I must admit, though, that I have not used "traditional" scratchboard in very long time; however, scratching is still my favorite when it comes to creating images.
I have attached my latest artwork for your comments/critique and/or general amusement.
The entire piece, which is scratched out on two layers of pennies glued to the painted whiteboard, was created by tungsten scribing pen, fiberglass brush and some graphite.

Thank you!

Crias
10-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Welcome back Martin! I have missed seeing your great and creative work! I would have loved to have seen the process on this one, and I have a feeling photos don't do it justice! Really cool.

Rodman
10-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Martin..... BA! Really BA.....

Could you lay something on the piece and take a pic so we can see the see of the pennies you used?

Inthefog
10-05-2014, 11:11 AM
That is so cool!

Bertoni
10-05-2014, 03:16 PM
I've never seen anything like this before! A rare and wonderful style!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: WOW!

GardenMaven
10-05-2014, 05:59 PM
I can't say anything more than Wow!!! Fantastic!

XQB
10-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Wow and WOW, Martin! I've wondered about you occasionally, and I'm thrilled to see you back here! Bravo and amazingly well done with "Liberty". Totally unexpected and uber cool!

SandeVBL
10-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Very unique and exciting. Congratulations on a great job finished.

Obedec
10-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Welcome back...just drop dead gorgeous!

XQB
10-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Martin, I keep coming back to this and just can't stay away. The juxtaposition of the everyday "throwaway" coins with the stunning beauty of the image (and your wonderful tonal work) just touches me in a way I can't explain. I've always deeply admired your work, but this one...
Thank you for sharing this. Thank you very much.

PaintDog
10-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Wow, I really don't even know what to say about this, Martin! It's so cool and creative and unique.

I'm curious how you accomplished the image on top of the pennies? Is that drawn on with graphite?

annamelia
10-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trilby
10-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Welcome home and hope you'll stay awhile, This piece is so very creative and is absolutely beautiful, very evocative with such depth of feeling expressed.
TJ

JennyD
10-07-2014, 04:40 PM
It's all been said, but for what it's worth - WOW,WOW,WOW

ggart4u
10-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Love this. What more can I say?

Hoofnpaw
10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
This is so wonderfully creative!!!! The only other thing I can say is would have loved to see your process on this! WOW!

Sean

artbymartin
10-09-2014, 04:48 PM
I would like to thank you all for your wonderful comments. I really missed this place, but I cannot say that I am back since everyday life is getting in a way:o

I would like to be more active as an artist, but it is simply not possible at this time.

Matthew, I really appreciate your comments, and if my art did, indeed, make you feel that way than I have accomplish more than I hoped for.

Rodman - I am sorry, but I cannot take a picture at this moment since I sent the piece to framing shop. But for what is worth, the entire piece is 16 x 18; however, the pennies are glued on the area of 11 x 14...hopefully that will give you an idea of amount of pennies I used (2 layers).

Since some of you asked about the process and how I created the piece I have written short description below:

I learned that using pennies as scratchboard is quite unforgiving (yes, unforgiving), and very tricky. It took me two (2) weeks to age them to my liking before gluing them (super glue) to the white board (already stained with ink). Then I drew the outline with thin marker since graphite does not really stick to the copper. When I was satisfied with the outline, I went on to scratching. The entire image is scratched out, graphite with some charcoal was used only for the darkest values (around neck, in the hair...to make it pop more).
The problem with copper is its ability to react, thus change, to the outside environment. After finishing and spraying the entire piece, which I thought would help, a lot of highlights disappeared....to my dismal (especially on her dress, which was very light, shined out, but the copper still got dark after about one (1) day, the sealant did not help to prevent it....that is what I meant by unforgiving....however, overall, I am happy with the result.

Well, enough of my drivel....thank you all for your kind comments!!!

XQB
10-09-2014, 05:12 PM
If we don't experiment, we stagnate, and I greatly admire your courageous spirit Martin. This one goes in my personal Hall Of Fame!

Harry Seymour
10-10-2014, 04:10 PM
This is a stunning piece of art. It is always wonderful to see innovation and creativity but neither will necessarily result in fine art. Yours does. Great piece.

PaintDog
10-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you for describing your process, Martin - fascinating!

Garbonzo
10-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Martin, I have been away myself for a lot of reasons. It is good to hear from you and see your work again. I have such great memories from Indianapolis. This is so cool. Your images are always so amazing and this is no exception, only it's on a different level. Experimentation is the only way to find what is possible with the medium and with ourselves. I hope life is good to you and just remember, your art is there to sooth your soul when nothing else does. I hope you visit your create side more often.

Katie Marie
10-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Wow this is amazing and so creative!

PatrickHedges
10-30-2014, 03:34 AM
and I have a feeling photos don't do it justice! Really cool.
I agree, the photo probably doesn't come close to doing it justice. You should send it to me so I can get a better look at it :evil:

Kudos!! :clap: