PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner - October 2014

PaintDog
10-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Time for a new Corner :D

Hope the first few days of October have been good for everyone!

Shirl
10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
So far, so good. Spent 3 days at the ocean at Bodega Bay in N. Calif. Did some scratching with the sound of the waves hitting the beach and a fog horn sounding--couldn't be better!! Boats going by, good food.... Taught 2 friends about scratchboard, they really like it and are doing quite well.

Hated to come home, and I live in a wonderful area, but nothing beats the sounds of the ocean!

Crias
10-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Well I feel like it has been ages since I posted on here! Sorry! Life has just been hectic! On the whole life has been crazy, but good. Pull up a chair and some popcorn...afraid this might be a novel.

Tanzania (way back in July-Aug) was fantastic! I took like 12,000 photos, but have barely had time to start sorting through them. We saw the big 5, plus lots more: 350 bird species (give or take), watched lions hunting, a mongoose trying to drown a large bird, cheetah, etc. And best of all spending time with my family (ok well maybe not best, but a nice plus ;)

Came home from that trip and had an art fair the following weekend. I took second place two dimensional booth and did relatively well at the show.

The opening for the Society of Animal Artists show was the next weekend and lots of my very good friends came into town. It opened in Denver this year. I got to play tour guide as we went to many of the top wildlife spots in the state for photos.

Shortly after SAA I flew out to Wisconsin for Birds in Art. Always a fun weekend seeing friends and meeting the public. The show treats the artists very well. After I got home I got an email from the Woodson Museum that they would like to purchase my work (8"x10" of a Macaw)! Yeah! I also found out that a work had sold from another show in Vermont! Double yeah!

Fast forward to last weekend where I had a show in Southern, CO. Each artist can bring up to 10 originals. I sold three! The show on the whole looked like a really big success this year with about 70-80 works sold all together by about 30 artists. Rodman came with me to my show and we had a lot of fun.

My most exciting news though is that I have been offered an artist residency at the Hiram-Blauvelt Wildlife Art museum in New Jersey. It won't start until next April, but it should be an exciting adventure. It will be one year long, and possibly extended to two years. I think I will be close enough to drive to next years ISSA show!

Whew.... I think I need a nap now! Haha...

Working on lots of art, several paintings, finished a few scratchboards. Unfortunately I have not had time to comment much on postings here, but lots of great new work being posted!

Diane Cutter
10-05-2014, 10:42 AM
That's wonderful news, Cathy... It's great to see such a marvelous artist get recognition like that. The residency sounds like a dream.

SandeVBL
10-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Cathy, that residency is quite the opportunity. It will be fun to hear of your duties and adventures through that year or two. It will bring quite a change for you. Congratulations! And also congrats on the sales!

For me, I've been in a slump for a month or so. I now have 5 unfinished pieces that I may or may not go back to - sandpaper sounds like a solution some days. I've been an artist too long to get stressed about a slump. They happen, then it changes and I move forward. My studio is still unfinished (my fault, not my husbands) and fall is always a busy time in the yard and garden. And then there is the daily 8 hours of keeping my almost 3 year old grandson company...I REALLY try to keep my sharp objects out of his view. He's a really curious little guy :) So these are all either reasons or excuses! But this week I want to get going on something that heads in a new direction and maybe that will help.

Obedec
10-06-2014, 11:59 AM
What a fantastic year, Cathy! Congrats. Sandra, three year olds in any species are a handful. Can't wait to see what comes up when the slump goes away.

PaintDog
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Fantastic news, Cathy! You deserve and have earned every bit of it!
The artist in residence project sounds amazing :thumbsup:

ggart4u
10-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Wow Cathy... what a tornado of uplifting life happenings! So happy for you. I hope everything keeps going your way :)
Yep Sande, we all go through slumps. You'll get there
Geez Ann, I feel like a slacker seeing what all you've been doing.
I'm getting back into the swing and off my artistic duff. Have some things to do Before year's end.
Happy creating, y'all!

Foxyheart2002
10-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Cathy, been wondering what you have been up to. You have had one heckuva year, that is sure. Congratulations!!

Sande, slumps come and go as you well know. Sometimes the time of year or just the weather will affect our desire to create. I was working on a huge commission that was not to be so lately have been doing lots of small 4x4s that take only a few hours each. Great for the ego and to get the creative juices going again Perhaps just a small one or two can help get you going again.

Shirl, I missed your booth at the Draft Horse Classic. Bad knees and the venue is too large to walk comfortably for me.

I entered Blue Moon into the draft horse classic and got a 3rd in the Anything Goes (any medium). Ann Ranlett got first in the same category. Congratulations, Ann!!!

fire angel
10-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Congratulations Cathy, sounds wonderful!!

Sue and Ann congratulations on your your entries.

A small brag for me, I entered two pieces in the Bismarck Art Galleries Association Fall Art show and both "Majestic Beauty" and "Lone Wolf" were awarded Juror's Choice Awards.

Garbonzo
10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Congratulations Cathy, how exciting with the residency.

Sande, I thought for a minute you were writing about me. Slumps are pretty disconcerting as they are never the same and it's hard to figure how long they will last.

Sue and Ann, congrats also.

Congrats, Greg. Always nice to get some rewards for all the hard work.

PaintDog
10-14-2014, 04:36 AM
Testing . . . is this thing on?

Tried to upload an image in another thread and it didn't take.

ggart4u
10-14-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm here!
Just notified today that I had a painting juried into the Village Circle, a Cary, NC Gallery show. "Carolina on My Mind" - begins Friday Oct. 31st. I also have 4 scratchboards in an International Show at Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital, Malvern, Pennsylvania. "Art Ability 2014" is for artists with disabilities and is close to my heart. Sales from this show go to help other patients with their rehab needs. Reception is Saturday, November 1st. Wish me luck!

Foxyheart2002
10-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Sounds like everyone is having a good end of the year! yay!!

This coming weekend I will be part of San Dimas Wildlife Show. November 7, I will be holding a scratchboard workshop in Mesquite Nevada.

In our last art exhibition for Southern Utah Art Guild, I found out that my Stalking Lion Cub got People's Choice! I was Juried into an art show in Mesquite NV and again in St. George UT.

PaintDog
10-15-2014, 12:03 AM
More great news for scratchboarders and the things they scratch :D.

I'm working on a small crane drawing for the art show at the annual Sandhill Crane Festival that's held in a nearby town. I knew I wouldn't have much time this year, so unlike last year's 9" x 12" monster of a board, this one is a 5" x 5". Friday's the deadline, I'm close to finishing.

I also have a handful of pet portrait commissions to finish in time for Christmas. Two of those are scratchboard, one's a pair of dogs, the other is a friend's new Harley (a portion of it anyway - a crop of part of the tank and the engine).

On Saturday, my friend and I are going to visit Diana Lee during her open studio event. But first, we're going to the skull exhibit at the Cal Academy of Sciences in SF. I'll be taking LOTS of photos of the skulls!

Foxyheart2002
10-15-2014, 05:42 AM
Ann, where is any info on the wildlife 'scientific' illustration applications? I remember it from last year, but the Heron I was going to submit was sold, and I forget when it is......probably too late anyway.

PaintDog
10-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Not sure which show you mean Sue? Maybe the LSU Animals in Art exhibition? It's never easy to navigate their web site to find the Call to Artists, but here's the 2014 call to artists: https://www1.vetmed.lsu.edu/SVM/AboutSVM/Events/Public_Events/item37674.html

At the bottom is a link to request being added to the mailing list.

2014 was early January, so I expect the same for 2015.

Snow Dance
10-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Sue, is this the one you are looking for?

http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/fon/about/index.html

There is a show currently running, and the next call for entries will be sometime in 2015, early on, I assume.

Foxyheart2002
10-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Several days ago, I posted an answer here. Where did it go?

Thanks Ann, that is not the one, but I had forgotten all about it. They are putting me on their mailing list.

Snow Dance, that is the one. Thanks so much. They are also putting me on their list. It will open again for entries in June through Oct 1, 2015.

Rodman
10-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Sande. I was going to suggest cleaning your studio... There's nothing like a nice tidy studio to make me wanna mess it up. But with yours not being finished. That might not work.

Cathy's show was Fun, as she mentioned. I wish the pix of bubble wrap wrapped Cathy had came out better. You are all Artist, imagine that! Ha! Of course, her Art was among the very best there.

I was plein air painting, on Clayboard, a beautiful old movie theatre in Indiana when a ol boy came up and said " I came down to see if you're any good" when he had a look, he really enjoyed the project. Turns out he's a sculptor and invited me to stop into his studio. While there, he ended up giving me some supplies and said he would like me to try doing a Mech-Fish. ( those of you who know me, know I've done more than a few in SB & a couple more on Clayboard. Here's where it's at. Eventually it will be cast in bronze. It's 36" long. I've got a load of hours in it, as I don't know what I'm doing and end up doing things several times. It's really enjoyable to work in. I told Ann I would post it.... The lil tabs on the Fin Spikes will be split with a die grinder after it's cast and drilled. I'll going to cut stainless steel to fit between the fin spikes, making the fin SKINS. I'm guessing another couple weeks to a month to get it ready for the foundry. Here is where I'm at on it Ann. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2014/19717-image.jpg

PaintDog
10-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Daaaaang, Rodman, it's awesome!! I was privileged to get a sneak peek earlier, when Rod shot me an e-mail. You've added quite a bit since then. What a fantastic creature & project :D

Foxyheart2002
10-22-2014, 02:56 AM
Wow, Rod, really su-weet!!!

Rodman
10-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks Ladies.... I'll post a pic when it gets cast and finished.

Pinselpfote
10-27-2014, 11:22 AM
aaaai, this is freaky awesome :D

fire angel
10-31-2014, 09:39 AM
I was just notified that "Lone Wolf" was voted as the People's Choice at the Bismarck Art and Galleries Association's Fall 2014 Art Show.

Obedec
10-31-2014, 12:49 PM
Hey Greg, that's FANTASTIC!!! I'm so happy for you. Rod, I can't wait to see a Mech Fish in 3D...how great is that! I've been focused on needle felting, and will be getting back to scratchboard here shortly. I've got medical issues with Diabetes that I'm trying to get resolved. Karen

Rodman
11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Karen... Take care!

I'm calling it finished. I may take it with me tomorrow to see another foundry, this one in Indy. I'm awaiting a bid from a foundry I was really impressed with in CO. I wanna get it out of my hands and into the mold makers. I think I can only post one pic per day from my phone but here he is. MechFish 17. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2014/19717-image.jpg

FoggyMountain
11-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Holy cow Rod! Simply amazing (as usual).
Cathy, congratulations on the NJ residency.
Congratulations also to Ann and Sue for the Draft Horse Classic wins.
And congratulations to Greg!

fire angel
11-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Awesome Rod-Man!!
Thank you Karen and Lynn!!!

Foxyheart2002
11-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Rod, how big is this fish? It is totally awesome!!!!

ggart4u
11-04-2014, 07:23 PM
I think we need a November sticky.

PatrickHedges
11-05-2014, 04:16 AM
Well done Greg!!!!!!!!!!

Rodman, that piece is freakin' awesome!!!!!

Cathy - Hiram-Blauvelt???? You are a legend!!!! I tell my mates "That Cathy Sheeter! Well, I know her!!!!!!" She's my brush with artistic royalty!

fire angel
11-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Thank you Patrick!!

Crias
11-12-2014, 04:52 PM
I think we need a November sticky.

Anyone can start them - just start a new thread and Patrick or I will stick it when we see it.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the residency. I am really excited about it!