PDA

View Full Version : paper for pan pastels

gerronsh
10-04-2014, 02:39 PM
I am working with a new medium...pan pastels. Any observations and experience you can share with me concerning paper?

Gerron

robertsloan2
10-06-2014, 09:59 AM
ClaireFontaine PastelMat is the best paper I've ever used with them. The colors don't really blend till there's two or three layers, but, it holds the color like painting on the sticky side of tape and gives lots of control. It's also smooth enough to get very fine detail with Pans and with enough layering, the painterly smooth transitions that are possible. Without so much layering, with visible strokes, it's very easy to get a painterly style. It's got a smooth but gripping coated surface.

Next favorite is vellum non sanded papers. I think the Sennelier coated paper might be good too. Colourfix frustrated me as it tore up sponges but didn't hold enough color to be opaque in passages I wanted opacity.

Saskia
10-08-2014, 05:26 AM
I have heard very good things about Canson Mi Teintes Touch with Pan Pastels. It is a sanded surface so it holds more layers of pastel than normal papers, but the tooth is very smooth, so it doesn't damage the soft tools much at all. If you try to use a heavier sanded paper with the pans, the tools snag on the surface and it just doesn't work very well. And then your tools are shredded.

I have only experimented on it with the pans myself, but it seems great for them. They go on smoothly.

stapeliad
10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I have used them with good results on colorfix, mi tientes, pastel card, colorfix primed panels, and in my sketchbook. :)

Colorfix is my fave but it does eat up the sofft tools.