PDA

View Full Version : John Myatt

bunford
10-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I have been reading up recently about the Drew/Myatt forgeries in the 80s and early 90s. I have also been watching his series called Forger's Masterclass, which I think is pretty good as an intro the techniques of masters.

However, one thing that astounded me is that he says he mainly uses household trade emulsion paints as it is tons cheaper than acrylic paint. He also uses KY Jelly for thinning and as an extender for the paints.

Has anybody else tried these and how do they work?

Only asking as they got so far as conning art experts into believing over 200 paintings in this style were authentic masters paintings, even though no oil paints were used whatsoever.

All very interesting!

Charlie's Mum
10-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Quite a few of us recently watched some of these too - for an Impressionist challenge.

I think it says more about the so-called 'experts' than about the paints used!
He's probably not at all interested in longevity of his work - and how the 'experts' couldn't spot the type of paint - well, not very good eh?

I've tried household emulsions to paint murals but not on canvas ....... not tried the KY jelly ;)

purplepansey
10-04-2014, 12:03 PM
I have been reading up recently about the Drew/Myatt forgeries in the 80s and early 90s. I have also been watching his series called Forger's Masterclass, which I think is pretty good as an intro the techniques of masters.

However, one thing that astounded me is that he says he mainly uses household trade emulsion paints as it is tons cheaper than acrylic paint. He also uses KY Jelly for thinning and as an extender for the paints.

Has anybody else tried these and how do they work?

Only asking as they got so far as conning art experts into believing over 200 paintings in this style were authentic masters paintings, even though no oil paints were used whatsoever.

All very interesting!

I have watched all his Forger's Masterclass shows and loved them. He comes over as a very likeable person and hard to believe he was able to sell so many of his forgeries before getting caught. I too, was surprised to learn he used household emulsions rather than artist's paints and also the tip on KY Jelly.

I bought some of Valspar's Color Sample jars of paint mainly because I was in Lowes paint department one day and saw the display of their 7.5 oz. sample oval jars and on a whim bought quite a few colors. To be honest I think I was drawn to the look of the jars and colors and couldn't resist. I have used them not to do an entire painting but to color a white canvas before painting. I tried to mix the blue and yellow to get a nice green but it didn't turn out very agreeable color. :envy:
Watching YouTube I've seen other painters use household paints so I guess it isn't uncommon.

ColinS
10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
I enjoyed Myatt's Masterclass series very much, and was introduced to a couple of great artists I wasn't familiar with via those videos.

Emily Carr used house paint for a time when she was short of cash. A real challenge now for the conservators. I treat myself to good paints, my theory being that with all the other challenges my art faces, I had best not handicap it further with dodgy materials. ;)

bunford
10-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Same here. I loved the shows too and it introduced me to several artists I was unaware of. I don't necessarily like them, but found it interesting that he openly shared techniques to replicate their styles. And I agree, he seems like a ver nice, genuine guy. Even someone I would actually quite like to have as a mentor :)

bunford
10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Same here. I loved the shows too and it introduced me to several artists I was unaware of. I don't necessarily like them, but found it interesting that he openly shared techniques to replicate their styles. And I agree, he seems like a ver nice, genuine guy. Even someone I would actually quite like to have as a mentor :)