PDA

View Full Version : Tarnished Reflections -xposted in Watercolor

ArtsyMom x3
09-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Haven't posted in AGES! Heres a watercolor painting I just completed for our local Watercolor and Graphic Arts Society fall juried show. I'm DYING to show someone, since i've promised myself I would not reveal to anyone local until hanging day! Anyway, i'm very proud of this one, its my favorite thus far! this is 13" x 13" on 300lb cold press. Excited about the reveal at our show's opening a week from Friday! See if you can figure out the really cool thing about this painting! hint...I took the pic myself, this is of my grandmother's tarnished silver. I set this pic up in my home studio. Sort of my own little "I SPY" painting! I was elected President of our art group this past spring and this will be the first show in this position. Most in our group of just under 100 members don't know much about me, nor my work, so i wanted to do my best to show them a bit about their newbie leader! :wave:

billmahler
09-29-2014, 10:42 PM
Hi AM,
Love this, Mom.
No crits. It will be a show stopper.
That said, next time, don't let the camera block that pretty face. I want to see it!

ArtsyMom x3
09-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Hi AM,
Love this, Mom.
No crits. It will be a show stopper.
That said, next time, don't let the camera block that pretty face. I want to see it!

too funny! but how could i have taken the pic without the camera in front of my face?...so silly...but thanks for the comments!

*Deirdre*
09-30-2014, 05:05 PM
No crits from me either! Is it a generation thing? Love the studio! And the painting is superb!:thumbsup:

Dana Design
10-01-2014, 02:51 PM
This is beautiful and is going to knock their socks off!

Looking at the pitcher, it appears that it is cutaway and the reflection is actually on the inside of the pitcher. I love it. Well done!

PS YOu seem to be upside down in the top reflection. Can't quite figure out the pose.

ArtsyMom x3
10-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Looking at the pitcher, it appears that it is cutaway and the reflection is actually on the inside of the pitcher. I love it. Well done!

PS YOu seem to be upside down in the top reflection. Can't quite figure out the pose.

The top reflection is the same as the bottom reflection, just upside down. I was holding my camera taking the picture. The top one isn't as clear in the photograph as the bottom one was, I simply copied exactly what the photograph showed.

Thanks!!

querin
10-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Beautiful,the top reflection is right this shows how the pitcher is a rounded form reflecting upside down.

ArtsyMom x3
10-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Wait, just read this again..what part looks cut away??

WFMartin
10-01-2014, 08:24 PM

The pitcher is concave [rather than convex] at the neck, and concave surfaces create upside-down reflections.

This is an astonishingly beautiful painting. It is even more incredible because it is watercolor. Beautiful subject, and painting.

ArtsyMom x3
10-01-2014, 08:41 PM
The pitcher is concave [rather than convex] at the neck, and concave surfaces create upside-down reflections.

This is an astonishingly beautiful painting. It is even more incredible because it is watercolor. Beautiful subject, and painting.

Thank U SO much! You are correct...it is what it is, because I painted it exactly as it was. Just paint what U see, and even the senseless all makes sense in the end!

WFMartin
10-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Thank U SO much! You are correct...it is what it is, because I painted it exactly as it was. Just paint what U see, and even the senseless all makes sense in the end!

Well, in this case, laws of physics are involved, and you certainly have followed the "paint what you see" principle [which also follows these laws]. Beautiful work!

ArtsyMom x3
10-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Well, in this case, laws of physics are involved, and you certainly have followed the "paint what you see" principle [which also follows these laws]. Beautiful work!

THANK you!!

Dana Design
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Wait, just read this again..what part looks cut away??

The entire front of the pitcher. Along the near bottom of the pitcher, there is a "curl" that looks bent in where the curl meets the scene (you and background) and then up along the right side of the pitcher, there is a lighter area next to a grey area that "breaks into" the curvature.

Actually, I thought it was brilliant the way the "cutaway" worked with the scene inside the pitcher which is why I questioned the upside down figure.

This painting is such a winner and I've looked at it over and over again. Just beautiful.

ArtsyMom x3
10-03-2014, 12:50 PM
The entire front of the pitcher. Along the near bottom of the pitcher, there is a "curl" that looks bent in where the curl meets the scene (you and background) and then up along the right side of the pitcher, there is a lighter area next to a grey area that "breaks into" the curvature.

Actually, I thought it was brilliant the way the "cutaway" worked with the scene inside the pitcher which is why I questioned the upside down figure.

This painting is such a winner and I've looked at it over and over again. Just beautiful.

I think it's pretty cool how you interpreted it! :) I am a slave to reality, I know what I painted because it's my pitcher, so I can't even SEE what your talking about! Lol! Wish I could see it through YOUR eyes!!

Editing this to add...just came in my studio to look at it directly while reading what U wrote. I think I see what your talking about. The darker color below the whitish part is the reflection of the tray...the white part is reflecting the white fabric..along the right is the sunlight from my large window. Does that help? Lol!!! I was just glad to sort of see the cutout..took me squinting a bit! :)

*Deirdre*
10-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Monique - this is such a special painting _ I'd love to place a copy in our Hall of Fame...with your permission of course?

ArtsyMom x3
10-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Monique - this is such a special painting _ I'd love to place a copy in our Hall of Fame...with your permission of course?

Aww! I'd be HONORED!