PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost October 2014

*Deirdre*
10-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.
I'm sure Robert will be along any minute, but I promised him I would start it off if he was a tad late:D :wave:

robertsloan2
10-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Awww ya got me! Thanks, Deirdre! I meant to post the starter last night and got distracted, but I plead "flu" this time. I got really distracted posting a challenge I signed up to start in OP forum and thought that was the thread that needed starting. Oops!

Anyway, I will keep up here every day though!

1) Maintain Goal Post, daily participation on WC
2) Daily art or artish activity (matting etc.), health permitting
3) Spotlight painting
4) Paint my cat, a really good portrait of Ari
5) Rein in supply spending and start saving again.
6) Do an Oil Pastels painting for my Oil Pastels Challenge
7) Maintain my OP challenge and check daily commenting or posting or both.
8) Do a new Pan Pastels painting and review Mediums & Pearlescent Pans

I could get larger items like the Sennelier Paris Collection easier if I set aside a bit every month toward getting them than if I just blow out and do it top of the month and then wind up short on groceries at the end - like I did last month. I don't regret it but I really don't want to get in the habit!

Mij
10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
That is some list Robert. Makes me tired just looking at it. I hope you get to them all.

I really need to get stuck into all mediums this month and make a determined effort to make some progress in all facets. I have done a CP challenge in class this afternoon which I have finished off at home this evening. I intend finishing the boat at Thornton this month which will be watercolour. The spotlight has fallen on my favourite colour of orange so that has to be on the cards as well. I also need to do some Christmas cards so I'll start those this month. Some water colours, some pastel and some gouache. Also I need to take your advice Robert and do some practice portrait sketches everyday. That will usually be graphite as its the easiest to carry around/use. Say at least one a day - well let's walk before we run :lol:

Jim

Judibelle
10-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Ambitious goals, Rob and Jim...go for it!

I am getting inspired to do some painting this month...I love the photos you posted on oil pastels forum, Rob, and hope to do at least one of those, along with one Spotlight.

Life has been hectic past month, but hope to get back on track now...
So my 2 goals are: 1. Paint and
2. Paint

Norma46
10-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Greetings all: Back from a wonderful, but exhausting tour of Italy. Why are none of the streets down hill ???? I have about 500 pictures of incredible sites in Venice, Tuscany, Amalfi and Capri. Did a few (5) TOMBOW ink sketches , but there was otherwise no down time for sketching. I plan to do the scavenger hunt and one pastel painting per week during October. Glad to be back, but will be happy when the jet lag ends.

stapeliad
10-01-2014, 09:26 PM
My Goal this month: STAY RELATIVELY SANE. :(

*Deirdre*
10-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Oh dear Jessica! I hope we can help you achieve that goal!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2014/33616-998-smiley_hug.gif

stapeliad
10-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Oh Deirdre...I do need quite a lot of help. :(

Nick7
10-02-2014, 12:24 PM
I'll keep it really simple this month. Not to give up on painting and drawing. I need to learn that even if I don't have enough time or energy to finish it, it counts to do at least several marks. So far, I finished everything "in one sitting". But it's impossible now, so I have stopped painting.

And Stapeliad ((((hug)))). PM me if I can help.

stapeliad
10-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks Nick! :heart:
Your goal is good. I might have to copy it for myself! :D

Nick7
10-02-2014, 12:50 PM
:D yay, a support group! :D

stapeliad
10-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah! :D

robertsloan2
10-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Nick, I'm right here to support you! Keep painting and drawing, you're so good at it and I love seeing your work.

Jessica, paint lots, get dusty, wipe hands, pet the cat. It always helps to pet the cat. Ari explained this to me a long time ago and demonstrates frequently. Also feed the cat, especially treats. If that name in your sig line is your cat, she sounds wonderful. If that's a dog she sounds orange anyway, so whatever the Mars Orange damsel is, maybe a Spotlight portrait?

Norma, thanks for posting three of your Italy photos! So glad you took lots and had a great time. I love Tombow brush pens for sketching, it's an incredible medium for easy fast rendering.

Judi! Perfect goals. That's just awesome, looking forward to seeing results!

Jim, you're ambitious! Cool trick letting your pastel box slide into Unplanned Goals, maybe you can get some time in on that when life interrupts. Love the boat sketch and think that'll be a great painting.

My goals aren't too heavy since they're somewhat overlapping - showing up at WC daily is there twice and my first Spotlight is going to be the sunset reference in Pans to play with Pearlescent Pans, the colors are so perfect for it and the Giant TL Eggplant gave me an idea of how to handle the ground in the sunlight with the deep dark shade and a big sponge.

stapeliad
10-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I am the Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford! :D

The name is a combined effort from some of my strange Oily Friends. :D

...but I do happen to have 1 orange cat and 2 torties. The orange one is a pest.

Mij
10-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Hi there Judi, we'll look for a couple of paintings this month then. I am glad all is well with you.

Hi Norma, a bit photo'd out from Italy et al eh? I hope the jet lag doesn't last too long. You now have your own image reference library.

Hello Jessica, the first time we have met I believe. If you find the answer to keeping your head whilst we lose ours then let us know the secret.

Nick it looks as if you need a helper. Time is so precious isn't it :grouphug:.

Hi Robert, I am just a little befuddled this month. SWMBO seems to have an infection in the leg on which she broke her toe earlier. Taxied her to the surgery. They prescribed an anti-biotic. Also her new car may arrive this month - or not..... The new disk I ordered came this morning and when I tried playing it my computer locked up :(. CTRL+ALT+DEL set it back but it repeated the action. Tested it on SWMBO's computer with similar results. A new DVD will be sent :wave:.
Jim

Judibelle
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Oh my, Jim....You DO have the bad luck, don't you! And your Better Half,also.
Do hope her toe heals without further problems. Infections are no fun! A leg infection is what sent my Hubby to the hospital in August! (He was there 2 weeks and some...)
Rob...your Daily Sketching is certainly coming along very well! kudos for keeping it up so well.

Nick...Every little bit helps (says I who did next to nothing last month!)
Norma...welcome home!
Jessica....I think we DO need a support group...to keep us all 'relatively sane'!

Happy painting, everyone...

getdusty
10-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Me, too! Me, too! I need group support :)
Simple goals.....paint and maintain my sanity...just too much crap going on
Robert, you do have quite the list.
Norma, glad you enjoyed the trip.
Jessica, welcome to the crazy train.
Jim, best wishes for SWMBO's recovery, the arrival of the car and the replacement disk. It never ends, does, it?
Judi, hope DH is feeling better and you get a chance to paint.
Nick, you're right. A few marks are much better than none.

Mij
10-03-2014, 03:22 AM
A leg infection is what sent my Hubby to the hospital in August! (He was there 2 weeks and some...)

Thanks for the good wishes Judi.
It was what SWMBO found about leg infections that scared her half to death. And the antibiotics don't always work so they say (we read it on the net so it must be true :angel:) I still carry the scars of a leg infection from a few years ago and I usually heal 100%. I hope hubby is progressing well.
jim

robertsloan2
10-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Purr thanks Judi! Nothing yesterday, definitely a sick day. Rotten flu.

Leg infections like that are frightening, Jim. The more I hear about it the nastier it sounds.

robertsloan2
10-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Yay got in art today. Luminous Lily in the Spotlight. Still trying for daily art and the Rembrandts seriously help, being a small set easy to grab on a bad day. Right in reach along with mat scrap.

I think I'll remember the list easier if I repost it every now and then:

3) Spotlight painting

I won't count the "rein in spending" till end of month, but so far succeeding. Health permitting counts, but that's good progress for the start of the month! Now if I do my cat in Oil Pastels it'll really help!

Mij
10-07-2014, 05:06 PM
You did well on the lilly Robert, it really glows on that blue/black background.

I achieved very little today. I was too full of flue symptoms to go to portrait class and assume it will be the same for tomorrows 'anything goes' class. I have just taken (at SWMBOs insistence) a symptom easer of honey and mendicants and a couple of shakes of cinnamon. The sore throat has escalated to aching shoulders and neck etc. This year I wouldn't have the flue shot as they have pulled the wool these last couple of years. Ah well I'll just moan about it and get on with things.
Nothing art wise accomplished other than return the duff DVD via the post office.
Jim

robertsloan2
10-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Oh dang, Jim, it is spreading by Internet! Yikes! I should wash my hands before typing and turn my head so I don't cough on the screen. Ow ow ow. Good for you on the honey medication and that. Ack about the flu shot. That's no good.

I didn't draw yesterday, today Artish - I did shading bars to demo for a colored pencils student in Prismacolors and posted those in my Art Journals thread. And packed my bag for tomorrow going out for my appt. and maybe plein air in the garden. I hope weather and my body cooperate for painting in the garden. It'd rock to finally get to. I even brouht sandy paper.

ligerwolve
10-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone :wave:

I am back at home again! Holiday was great (a bit short maybe :lol: ) and my niece looked gorgeous on her wedding day. She is actually a photographer so we spent a day together with our kids at the zoo (My 7 year old was excited to see Bindi Irwin there) and she took lots of beautiful reference pictures for me.

So this month my goals are:
1. Sketch up the 9 new pieces so they are ready to go.
2. Finish 3 portfolios and send to galleries.
3. Finish large pastel on velour
4. Finish medium scratchboard.

I might also need to sketch up another 3 trinket boxes but I am just waiting for the go ahead from my client.

That's all this month. Pretty small list but it will be flat out for the next two months so taking the time now to fix up websites etc and rest.

Sorry some of you are feeling unwell. I guess you are all heading into flu season. The weather is just starting to warm up here, although it was very hot up North where I went for holidays.

Jim hope SWMBO feels better soon. Sounds painful.

Robert how do you like the Pan pastels? I was umming and ahhing about buying some last week. Bought an egg shaped canvas and a raw skateboard instead....and maybe some pastel pencils, inktense pencils, sponges and other bits and pieces :lol:

Norma46
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Rob, I think there may be something to the flu contagion. I have been feeling dizzy and nauseous for the last three days. Maybe I am spending too much time on WC and catching the bug.

N

robertsloan2
10-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Ouch, Norma, I feel for you. Still haven't thrown mine off and the flu vaccine won't get to my clinic till late October.

Janet, your list sounds so overwhelming! I may have listed more items but yours are each so big. Wow! Luck on all of it!

Daily art today, did the rest of the Zeta page my Ari sketch was on. Azalea flower and some trees in pen-watercolor when waiting for the van after the clinic appointment. Still sick though.

robertsloan2
10-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Charcoal life sketches for Scavenger Hunt today for daily art. At least I got some in, been really sick and also had home care over. Bath always leaves me extremely drowsy but I got in charcoal sketching on hemp paper.

Mij
10-10-2014, 03:53 PM
I have got nothing done - at all. Apart from a bit of shopping. This room is a tip, I cannot find a thing and when I do something is put on top of it effectively hiding it. I did manage to get rid of a couple of stains yesterday - Magic Erasure or something like that. Just water and this white foamy thing you cut to suit. SWMBO had put a bottle of mouthwash on a mattress. She didn't know that the top was loose - it leaked out and left a blue stain. The foamy thing and plain water took it all out! Miraculous :thumbsup:
jim

robertsloan2
10-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Jim, you're a good guy, it's amazing how well you take care of your wife. Seriously, she ought to be so grateful you'd take the time and effort to get stains out of things that get covered up. If it dried on there I probably would've left it on account of sheets cover it anyhow. You're a rare neat freak. Then again I'm disabled and cut corners, keep cleaning to a bare minimum. Orderly though, that tends to keep actual cleaning to minimal.

I know that feeling when you can't find anything because something's on top of it. Frustrates me every time home care does that here. I live alone so I should be able to avoid that problem but they'll put stuff away where I wouldn't think of putting it and I wind up buying more because it's gone, till another home carer finds it. Really bad when food boxes wind up on art supply shelves because they're easier to get at. I look at the food shelf, yeah, out of this or that, only to find when I rearrange things with another home carer that four boxes of it were stacked behind art supplies.

Got another Spotlight painting in today! This is a good thing. Cold is breaking up, to my great relief. Want to mat it because the ragged edges bug me. I know some people like that on pastel paintings when the edges are loose, but I like them to be cropped in with a mat or frame.

Judibelle
10-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Oh My, Jim...You DO need a good streak for a change! So sorry for all the 'bad luck'.....that would've made me CRAZY by now....
Rob...glad to hear you are feeling better, and that you are still keeping up with the daily thing. I did get a chance to do a couple of small 'studies'...nothing I want to show, however...just trying to keep my hand in it...

robertsloan2
10-11-2014, 04:21 AM
Oh Judi, go ahead and post small studies! Maybe post them together in a thread titled Small Studies if you don't think they merit their own separate thread. I post anything I do in order to motivate myself to do more, even things like the pears demo.

ligerwolve
10-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Jim I think I know those foam like square things. They seem to be great except I heard some horror stories about them with small children. So I am scared to buy any with my two.

I must admit I have the sniffles now too :lol:

Glad you are feeling better Robert. Sounds like you are being productive as always :)

I didn't think my list was too bad this month :lol: I guess it sounds like it but really it isn't too bad. Sketching up should take a night or two and the portfolios are almost done except for printing up the photos and last minute editing.

Mij
10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Hello Janet, you had a nice holiday by the sounds of it. They are always over too quickly aren't they. Thanks for the wishes for SWMBO. The problem today was the foot stimulator thingy did not work as it should. We have heard from the salesman that they have managed to get an automatic Scenic for SWMBO to road test on Monday.
The flue bug does go round the globe quickly doesn't it.

The Magic Eraser came in a box about 10 long and 4 wide. The info on the net suggests it is a foam used as a heat/cold insulator and has special cleaning properties. I know it works like magic!
SWMBO said the seat in the wet room shower needed adjusting down. I brought into the bedroom to do this not realizing the tubed legs contained black water which stained the bedroom carpet. It looked to be an expensive mistake. With nothing to lose I rubbed this way and that and it all disappeared. I would not use it on children's faces though no matter how dirty :lol:.

Your next with the flue Norma-sorry to hear that :crossfingers:.

The way you are gobbling up the goals Robert I think I'd better have a pint of whatever your on! You haven't stopped sketching since October started.

I seem to be getting nothing done and when I have a minute to myself I goof off on you tube, singers from yesteryear if you know what I mean. Slim Whitman, Virginia Waters, Vera Lynn......
jim

robertsloan2
10-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Jim, sometimes the mind needs some rest. Cut yourself some slack when it's obvious you spend so much time taking care of the house and equipment your wife needs - you've had so many breakdowns of this and that for so long that I'm not surprised you need a bit of time just relaxing and listening to music. Each their own relaxation. You make me feel tired just reading about the many caregiver things you do, handy man. She's a lucky woman.

Painting time will come into your life again, it's got to lighten up sometime. In the meanwhile, you could try the mini-sketch trick I use to keep on with daily art - no more than 3" wide and use whatever's right at hand. It helps me, but I don't know if doing thumbnails like that would help you.

Today's art was two little Ari sketches, nothing more - but I kept on with daily art. Haven't succeeded, since I missed 3 or 4 days already, but I'm still on track with most days doing something and I planned out some other floral pastels. I seem to be on a flowers kick this month, had success with the marigolds and red flowering maple so I want to do a rose or some purple foxglove spikes that I found in the SFGH garden. Got a lot of garden photos on my phone last Wednesday.

Janet, having small children about means keeping art supplies well out of their reach. If the eraser would be a choking hazard, it just needs to be stored out of reach and maybe under lock and key when not in use. When I lived with my daughter's family, I kept everything dangerous in my room and the grandkids were only allowed to enter under supervision, period. If you have some place in your house you can keep them out it'd help for containing any art supply/kid problems.

Of course my room was also Cat Central because it was also the Dog Free Room. Their cats came into my room and I kept the cat food dishes in there for their dry food. Hers also got cans of wet food downstairs in the kitchen eaten immediately when served, but the dogs were nuts about the dry cat food. Apparently according to the vet, cat food has more protein and more intense flavor but for dogs it's as bad as feeding a human McDonalds, it's not nutritious for them. Cats are obligate carnivores and dogs more omnivorous, dog food is closer to a human diet.

That meant Annie, my daughter's Corgi sneaked into my room to steal cat food, she'd wolf down all of the small cat food bowl in about three bites. Zoe the husky did it too. Every puppy managed it at least once while I was sleeping and I'd wake up to yelling cats demanding I chase canines out of there because their food was being stolen. Annie was the only one who succeeded more than once, because she was darn sneaky and she'd watch for when I was sleeping. Kitten found out about it and punished them but she always believed she was entitled to cat food for being short and having pointed ears.

Now she's got horses trying to eat the duck feed, ducks trying to bully the chickens off their feed, still has a Corgi convinced she's a cat in disguise and barn cats who want to move into the house while the house cats want to run outside and hunt. Her goats will eat just about everything and are not convinced that goat food should be divided equally, the chief goat wants it all.

So her house is a zoo and she still manages to kid-proof stuff. Probably not a good example or even relevant, but maybe funny.

Best thing to do with art supplies is really high shelves or locked boxes or things hard to get into - and vigilance, only have it out when you're around. I never had an accident with the kids like the dogs eating the cat food. Pastels are probably worse being bright colored like candy, but you've got ways to keep them away from the kids, so maybe the eraser can go in a pastels box?

For all that Ari sometimes swipes something and bats it around the floor, you've reminded me it's much easier living with one cat than any children. lol

robertsloan2
10-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Actually that little Ari sketch page was yesterday's art. Today's Artish, Sunday, is that I underpainted an apple to test my Cretacolor hard pastels whether water dissolves them for a discussion thread. It does. Then decided to break and sort all my Cretacolor Pastels Carre' so that each 36 color roll-up now has all 72 colors. The more broken up ones with two small pieces instead of a half stick are clustered in one roll-up, while the better halves are lined up in the one right at my elbow. As I use up colors I'll get them out of the first or replace them from open stock.

It's good to have a 72 color set in one package that spreads out flat, even if it's a slightly inconvenient one that works better on a table than on my lap. I have the little folding table now so that's even possible in the field!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2014/70184-10-12-2014_Pastel_Wrap.jpg
Happily sorted 72 Cretacolor Pastels Carre' in 36 color Derwent Pastel Wrap

Maybe I'l use these today to finish the apple - once it's really solidly dry of course.

Tallula2
10-13-2014, 02:58 AM
My goal this month is to discipline myself to finish the paintings I have started before beginning another one. To that end, I am moving my easle to a quieter, more artist friendly place. The kitchen just is not working out. The light is great and their is a sink. Unfortunately there are too many interruptions. I am new to painting and find it difficult to create anything unless I can have total quiet. The ideal place would be a locked bank vault, but I will settle for the back bedroom.

Norma46
10-13-2014, 12:07 PM
So far so good on my October goals of one credible pastel painting per week. I actually have done four, but one I do not consider credible. I attempted a scene of colorful houses in Burano, Italy, but between the complex perspective, the challenge of sharp edges on adjacent houses and their colors, I just did not feel I was even marginally successful. I do get discouraged when I work on something and it doesn't have the "zing" that I am looking for and see in so many of the posts to the WC gallery.

So... am taking a small break this week for reading even though my brand new panpastels are calling to me. I'm going to put earplugs in for a day or two.

robertsloan2
10-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Tallula, good luck on the changed location. Often a slowdown or something directly relates to a logistic problem like too much traffic. I hope the back bedroom works for you and lets you finish the paintings you've started.

Norma, sounds like you just got so far ahead you can take time for a little rumination. Yay for your brand new Pan Pastels! lol earplugs - they do have those persuasive little voices, don't they? Mine do. The whole chorus of them.

Today's art is a quick sketch of some foxgloves in the Memory Garden, posted it in the Studio. I might develop them later, this was just a first go to get a feeling for them and isn't very detailed. I may want to do a much more detailed version sometime though, their forms fascinate me. Or I'll try them from life next week since they'll probably still be blooming.

robertsloan2
10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Two pastels today! I did the Hibiscus, though I am tempted to redo it with the flower a different color. Say, orange, there are orange Hibiscus flowers because I used to see them when I lived in Kansas, and I could put it in the Spotlight. I followed it with a clouds study from memory. I'm not 100% satisfied with either but glad to have done two in one day. I think I might be able to improve on both by redoing them, which is something cool in itself.

ligerwolve
10-16-2014, 10:14 AM
The worry with the eraser is some kids have gotten hold of them and rubbed their own skin. It doesn't take much to do damage. My two are great at getting into anything! There is no safe place!

Unfortunately Robert there is no study or room for me to use so my art desk and materials are in the lounge room. The kids are getting that bit older so I'm teaching them not to touch and in the mean time I am keeping an eye on them. Its actually easier than trying to hide or lock up things :lol:

The goal are going ok. I would like to be further along but the rest of my life has been getting in the way a bit. Hopefully I do better tomorrow.

robertsloan2
10-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Oh now that's weird. I didn't know a kid could hurt themselves by erasing their arm? Weird! Have they actually done it to the point of creating raw abrasions or is this something that you're worried about toxicity?

You're reminding me why I'm glad to be living with one cat, no kids around, no housemates. I loved living with my daughter and grandkids but I did have to defend my boundaries constantly and that was with being able to close the door on them, keep my room private and invitation only. Worse if I couldn't shut them out. That rocks you're able to keep an eye on them like that.

Yay for your goals! Life tends to just happen, it's good to set goals just to have some idea what you're doing but not expect to get them. It's why I usually set at least one goal so low I'd have to be comatose to not get it.

stapeliad
10-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Oh now that's weird. I didn't know a kid could hurt themselves by erasing their arm? Weird! Have they actually done it to the point of creating raw abrasions or is this something that you're worried about toxicity?

this is a new one to me.

BTW those Magic Eraser things DO NOT get washable crayola marker off the wall.

robertsloan2
10-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Good to know that about the "washable" Crayola markers. I thought water got those off the wall, but I could be wrong about that. It's supposed to be non staining but that's a big stretch.

Of course I get tempted to just paint on the wall with something that'd stay, like acrylics...

Mij
10-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I have used Magic Eraser on carpet (black water stains), mattress stains (blue mouthwash) and it has worked each time. In the am I intend trying it on the glass oven door. We have visitors and I want to see the meal cooking :lol:.
jim

ligerwolve
10-16-2014, 07:24 PM
I can't quite remember all the details but I believe it created a burn by rubbing.

I do hear they are fabulous though I'm just to scared to tempt my two :lol:

Those textas are so annoying! There used to be these great ones that were actually able to be washed off with water but they changed them and now they can stain especially if you don't clean it straight off. Toothpaste and windex are in my texta cleaning kit. Toothpaste is supposed to be great for crayon on walls and windex has worked for getting permanent marker off the fabric of seat/carpet etc.

robertsloan2
10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the cleaning tips! I had no idea anything worked to get permanent marker off anything. Just goes to show.

Today's daily art was a pear study from life. I worked big and brought it from a garish underpainting to a cool brown with many nuances of hue. It was fun, though hard to get the photo just right. Up on my wall now next to that cloud study. I'm going to need to take things down, running out of space on the walls! Still have a couple of small spaces but no more 9 x 12" spaces.

getdusty
10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Jim, be careful, sometimes those Mr Clean Magic Erasers can lightly scratch glass/plastic.

robertsloan2
10-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Funny, I thought I commented here earlier. Oh well! Here we go, today's art is posted, another sunset for the Spotlight. I even cut a mat for it and got it up onto the wall in one of the few remaining spaces to hang anything. I'm even putting art up in places where it's harder to see because of a lamp, that's how crowded my walls are getting. Something's got to move.

Mij
10-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Jim, be careful, sometimes those Mr Clean Magic Erasers can lightly scratch glass/plastic.
Ok Peg, I hear what you are saying. I know that glass is pretty hard and I have used a brillo pad on it before without scratching it. This 'eraser' cleaned it very well, perhaps it is not Mr Clean make. It has JML or something on the package so who that is is anybodies guess. Anyway, the oven door is now transparent and I can see the fruits of my labour :lol: cooking away.

Funny, I have had that here for a few years and not used it. Now I find a use for it every corner I take.
jim

robertsloan2
10-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Today's art, a Colourful Tomato done the way Charlie would do it. After her demo video, but done on a memory sketch of an enormous beefsteak tomato that my grandmother used to grow. Very happy with the memory sketch and how the colorful little study came out.

getdusty
10-18-2014, 07:03 PM
Glad it worked well for you, Jim.

robertsloan2
10-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Yesterday's art, I started a landscape with clouds. Not sure where I'm going with it but posted the underpainting as a WIP. I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow.

Today got the calendar beep that it's reveal day for the Animal & Wildlife Challenge, so I finally did the sleepy snow leopard that I fell in love with - in charcoal, in a very short time without hesitation. Pastels are giving me a very fast, decisive style. I like that. I seem to be getting a lot more done lately.

robertsloan2
10-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Yesterday was Artish - I cut a mat for Colourful Tomato and got it up on the wall, also with the help of my home carer got into the closet and retrieved a well organized little bag of plastic fruit. Happy side effect, the closet is now much easier to get into and some stuff I had piled up in front of it is now organized and put away in the closet. My room's a little nicer and my walls a lot more colourful!

robertsloan2
10-22-2014, 01:49 PM
Well, today a kitty sketch and a stage on "Clouds Coming In" that ended at an Ugly Stage. I don't think it's hopeless. I just know it needs some major changes, either cropping or some changes to what's down on the land to make it really work. The clouds are closer to done and look pretty cool but I could refine them a bit more.

robertsloan2
10-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Okay, now I'm really on a roll, also got in a pen and watercolor flowers page today. So I'm doing pretty good with both a pastels session and a page of pen-watercolor flowers that are good enough not to embarrass me about the journal!

robertsloan2
10-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Still more, little page of pen drawings from life from my outing. Pigeons on lamp posts and some houses seen from the fifth floor. I got the likeness, the nurse even recognized the view!

Judibelle
10-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Rob...so glad you are keeping up with the 'dailies'....love seeing them all..

I have been ill all week, after the plein aire workshop with Frank Federico a week ago Sun. I only did one of the 2 days, as by Sun. night I was miserable.
Haven't done a thing since then, but try to get over this thing....am on an antibiotic now, so should start to feel better....I hope!

The workshop was fun...but the surface is not one I would work with....a sanded board in bright yellow. We did a complete watercolor underpainting, then put the pastels over. My composition was not great...I was under cover and seated, so my viewing area was not great. I was very disappointed in the so-called finished product, even though Frank saw some 'good ' in it.

He is such a good sport....I really admire him!

Norma46
10-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Wow, you have been busy Rob. I thought I was having a good week having painted three studies! Keep up the good energy. I have my second portraiture class today. Not sure I learned much or gained much insight last week. I will push a little harder today.

robertsloan2
10-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Judi, so sorry to hear about your getting sick. It's going around to the point I think it's been passing on the Internet sometimes. It is the season, I guess, days shorten and weather changes and people catch bugs. Too bad about the workshop, though it sounds like it was good for your learning if not for coming out with a workshop painting you're happy with. Think about the things Frank liked in your painting and maybe work from it doing a better composition at home. It's sometimes possible to use a painting as a reference, where your initial observations give truer color than a camera.

Purr, thanks, Norma! I've been really focusing lately, the past two months especially have been so good for pastels. I've got that clouds painting on the drawing board now and might do a different pastel to get a break from it, getting some ideas of how to fix it. My phone prompted me to post to Rob's Art Supply Reviews so maybe I'll do something with my new Rembrandts to post about them.

robertsloan2
10-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Coming up on the last week of the month, how am I doing and what's still open? Italics is "in progress or maintaining" and bold is "done."

3) Spotlight painting
5) Rein in supply spending and start saving again. (This is HARD!)

Gee, it's staring me right in the face, isn't it? This week I need to paint my cat in oil pastels! Given "health permitting" on the daily goals, I'm maintaining pretty well. Bonus points, I have had at least two days of More Than One painting or sketch. Had a two pastels day so far and yesterday's pastel plus pen sketches plus pen and wash page.

Today was a different breakthrough, my best-ever ocean wave. That's one from a different goals list, my Artist's Bucket List. Things I want to do someday well enough to frame and hang is what I have instead of the usual bucket list of hang gliding, visit Thailand, buy a motorcycle etc. Basically my Life Goals for the Goal Post.

San Francisco Architecture well enough you can see the likeness - know what city it is and which building, recognize it if you've been there, that's on the list too. Made it yesterday with the little pen sketch of three buildings from life but have yet to do that well in pastels. Building to that with little outdoor pen sketches of buildings I like. Usually the fanciest ones. My nurse challenged me to go a block from the clinic and paint one that has a mural on it, which would be really difficult to convey someone else's art well without stealing it and using its image as the focal area. I'd have to get it loose and just right so that its identity is clear but I'm not ripping off the muralist.

Bucket List goals don't have a schedule. They come when they do and I know it when I pass one of those milestones. I just really enjoy it when I do. Anyone else have any milestones they totally long for and are moving towards gradually?

Mij
10-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Anyone else have any milestones they totally long for and are moving towards gradually?
I have just the one left having achieved all others or realized they are just dreams.
I would like to conquer this computer! :lol:
It seems to have a mind of it's own and it ignores what I tell it. I'd throw it out of the window if I could lift it that high.:angel::clear::lol:
Jim

robertsloan2
10-24-2014, 08:56 PM
LOL Jim! I meant art milestones like "paint a tree well" or "get my cat's likeness accurately." But yeah life ones either you do it or it's not going to happen. I will not ever become a cowboy, neurosurgeon, paleontologist or cardiac surgeon but I did become a Science Fiction Writer!

Daily art today is Pastel #12 even if #10 is unfinished. I'm numbering them to know how many I've done and it's had two sessions, it counts. Simple pastel sketch of an orchid, color study in Rembrandts.

robertsloan2
10-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Artish today, I attended a Johannes Vloothuis Paint-along nocturne of a large suburban house with all the lights on. It was beautiful, acrylic and then the final layer done in oils with a thin layer of liquin over the acrylic underpainting to make the oils stick to the acrylics. Gorgeous painting and very interesting techniques. But no drawing or painting, too tired now, did some posting and writing but I'm about tapped out.

Mij
10-26-2014, 05:52 AM
LOL Jim! I meant art milestones like "paint a tree well" or "get my cat's likeness accurately." In that case it would be 'get a likeness when drawing a portrait' :lol:. I have yet to discipline myself to do it daily. Perhaps I'll leave it as a dream.....

I'd have liked to have joined you with JV last evening here but I couldn't find the button to register. Never mind, this computer kept me and others who were helping me, busy.
jim

Norma46
10-27-2014, 04:02 PM
As October grinds to a halt, I was reviewing my goal post goals. I'm doing pretty well. I am averaging one "credible" pastel per week but need to get one more done before the end of the month. I had fun with the scavenger hunt and started my portrait class and have one not too bad first effort at portrait.

Judibelle
10-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Good for you, Norma...
Jim, I forgot about the JV paintalong...so like you, I missed it! good for you Rob, that you did it...
I haven't done very well this month, mostly due to the fact I've been ill for 2 weeks. I did just start a landscape today...not a Spotlight, but one with oranges in it.. photo taken from the window of a friend's home.

So I will continue to work on that, and I did do one Spotlight..the orange flower, but not too happy with the way it turned out.
I really need to get back into PRACTice! Oh well, maybe in November....

robertsloan2
10-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Jim, you will surprise yourself someday. I know the internal threshold for getting the likeness is personal. To me you already did some time ago and had trouble getting it in paint over the drawing. But everyone has their own internal standard for when their rendering is Good Enough. You will reach it whether you practice twenty of them a day or pick at it once or twice a month or just think about it a lot and do it next time, because mental practice counts. You'll wind up reaching the stage you think it's good enough and it'll be awesome because you set a high standard for yourself. Keep reading, practicing different techniques and trying. Little sketch doodles and thumbnail likeness, try to get a recognizable quick sketch of it and you'll improve more by doing those before the long detailed drawing. I swear by those gesture trials because each one is a fresh attempt with a new observation and the old mistake fixed. Each its own chance to solve one or some of the problems. It's cumulative per number of tries so maybe some easy tries because lazy and less detailed and more sketchy will help. I learned drawing first and then sketching, which is definitely the long way around!

But yeah, that sounds like your next milestone all right. Maybe pastel painting instead of acrylic since it's more like drawing?

Heh those dreams don't go away when shelved. They come up at odd moments and especially when they start coming in reach. Oh yeah. I meant to try a bird in flight - I've been thinking about that one lately and it might happen soon... it's on my list. Waves bumped up a notch. It's forever journey, or at least lifelong.

Re: computer, life happens and that sounds like an accomplishment.

Norma, congratulations! Looking good, there's still several days left in October.

JV class was so worth it and got me thinking about all the principles again. Even if the subject was something completely different I learned a lot - and am more prepared now for San Francisco pretty buildings. The nice thing is that when I miss them or lose part of it to being late or distracted, downloads mean I get it all anyway.

Yay for the orange flower, JudiB, and landscape. Life happens, sick days and weeks just don't count. No one paints well when sick. It wouldn't have turned out well if you forced it. Yay, maybe in November.

Next month I am writing my novel so that bumps to top of list and daily painting is incidental to it. I'll sorta keep it up but prioritize the book more till it's done. I still haven't painted my cat in oil pastels. I would have had to get hem out and hunt down a nice big piece of sanded paper and the photo and that's moving around physical, also washing up after oil pastels is tougher. But I want to and may feel better on Wednesday. Tomorrow is home care day and won't really have time.

If I don't get to the big one I'll try a little OP of him and maybe put that in my pastels journal too. Solve the where to hang it thing.

Today I did a good autumn landscape in my pastel journal. Best autumn landscape ever. Beats the single orange tree on a blue sky one I had framed in Arkansas that was my last decent one, beats the reworked sketch one on brown paper by lots, beats the one that frustrated me on Colourfix in 2009 so much that it's light years ahead. I paint better than I used to and not as well as I will.

Tallula2
10-29-2014, 02:30 AM
I met some of my goals. Had to move back to the kitchen, but did manage to finish several WIP'S. I did my first ever framing for an upcoming exhibit, which is also a first.
What a hassle framing is, but less expensive than paying someone else do do it and a good learning experience. It took two sets of hands and I am happy to say my husband survived the ordeal and is willing to help me frame some others.

Mij
10-29-2014, 05:20 PM
LOL Jim! I meant art milestones like "paint a tree well" or "get my cat's likeness accurately." . I think getting a portrait likeness will have to be left as a pipe dream now Robert. I wont keep on with the classes after this term.
I have the boat to complete still and because SWMBO is turning her Santa Fe in it has to have a fresh MOT at the dealers in Seaford tomorrow. Because I am doing the driving I'm on a promise of a fish and chip mid day meal :thumbsup: The new vehicle is in Southampton and will go to the dealers for the adaptations.
I see the Dr tomorrow about my leg (infection?) and my shoulder (archery injury). Very little art this month :(.
Sorry to hear you have not been too well this month Judi, this is the month for flue etc.
jim

robertsloan2
10-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Jim, you may surprise yourself. Stuff from classes sometimes takes a while to sink in and come out when you're painting. The mind can know and the eye can't see it, the eye can see it but the hands want to do it the way they used to. It's after all three layers come through that a sudden turning point like my wave comes up when just goofing around trying it without expecting anything more than usual.

Yesterday Artish matting and a cat gesture. Today a diagram of facial shadows answering a PM question for a friend. Not the greatest art but artish counts, my Wave painting is up on the wall looking good!

Norma46
10-30-2014, 12:52 PM
I have fallen off of my goal here at the end. Fighting (and losing) a battle with a cold and just have not felt up to anything more than drowning myself in fluids,and vegging out on my sofa with Riley by my side. To be better month in November!

Norma

Mij
10-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Yay! Here's to a better November. I am also doing the Christmas card exchange again this year. Having started early has meant that I am on time this year. I suppose that is art.

My leg is not infected so the Dr says. He has put me down for some physio on my shoulder in the hopes I get better sooner. It means that I'll have to use a modern compound bow.

The rest of the day was taken up by taking the vehicle down to Seaford for it's MOT presumably for resale. And the month ends tomorrow..and lots of us have been poorly...... ah well as we said up there somewhere..... roll on November. Or roll on Christmas, let's have some nuts!:wave::thumbsup::lol:
Jim

robertsloan2
10-30-2014, 04:43 PM
Norma, maybe my rule of "Health Permitting" ought to be engraved on the guidelines for this thread! Seriously. Coddle yourself and snuggle the pup and drink a hot toddy with lots of cinnamon, honey, rum, tablespoon butter, Christmas sweet spices and brown sugar in it, boiled raisins or citrus squeezings optional. Prepare to taste. Mix all the stuff together but the rum, melt the butter, put in a shot or a double shot of rum, add hot water to taste and stir. Actual raisins in it you can use the water they boiled in.

This actually works as well as the Nyquil kind of stuff. Knocks me out, the honey and spices boost immune system, the fats and sugars give my body the energy to fight it and the whole thing is soothing to put me to sleep for a good long time so the whole body's resources go to "kick out the virus." I've done it in many variations, the essentials are the rum, the honey or brown sugar and the butter. The spices and raisins are an added boost though. It is immensely comforting and cheering too in cold weather. More a drink to have as a nightcap than to party though, in my experience.

Jim, yes, the Christmas card exchange IS art! I'm tempted to get in on that, could do something cool and get it out before the holiday, especially pen/watercolor sort of thing. Glad to hear you're not fighting an infection, concerned about whatever's causing the symptoms though if it's not. Glad you might be able to still shoot even if it's with a different bow.

Month ends tomorrow.

I have done 13 pastels in the spooky month! Exactly!

As of today I finished Clouds Coming In... so I am happy and did pastel more than last month when I did eight. The little table did make my Unisons more useful. They were the bottom of the pile on the little table but I unpiled it and used them to finish the problem landscape, which really needed exact values and different colors. Yay for the Unisons. Now all I need is Paris Collection... oops... did I say that... not this year.

This year's art buys are planned. November budget goes to W&N watercolor markers wallet set of 8 for stupid easy fast underpainting in nice archival watercolor and quick watercolor rendering. And possibly 21 Land & Sea Blue Earths pastels if I really don't want to have any food treats during Noveling Month.

I know my November goal. Since 2000 it has been "Write a novel of 50,000 words or more." Daily art takes second place to that. Anything counts on either. Novel is going to be a scary one. The plot structure can be defined by that old cartoon of the little fish with a bigger one swimming behind it toothy mouth open and a bigger behind that and bigger behind that... it just came to me along with the opening scene. I have no idea what the bigger nastier monsters are, just that each will be nastier and weirder than the last. I won't even know if it's supernatural till I get there. But that's the fun of how I write. If I get a good idea it's a starting point. In Horror, I happily don't even know how it ends or if anyone survives the book.

In writing that is exactly like my deciding to do landscapes of San Francisco buildings instead of just trees and rocks and water. It's not what I'm used to and it's really going to be hard to keep from veering into Dark Fantasy or Fantasy. What I really like doing is making up stories where I get to make the setting fit the story instead of being stuck with the facts.

I might try doing some illustrations for it, but if I do it'll be because I finished early or got in a mood or it came out right during the hours after the day's chapter. No promises. Any illustration is an extra, including character sketching. But I might have a go at blocking some in because I can easily see that first scene. Horror movie fans will get a good laugh in the first chapter.

And I still have tomorrow for more art. Did not do my cat in oil pastels. Argh. Still might have a go but the clock is ticking and I would have to get them out, be awake, have the energy, not be distracted... well, Fridays don't have home care but they are weirdly tiring. Dunno. Might make it a sweep of my goals or not. Either way I'm happy though.

I did see many beautiful paintings of my cat monitoring the OP thread though and they are incredible. If you love Ari go take a look. He was their most popular subject too!

Unplanned Goals - I am drifting into more blogging and may write some more Art Lessons next month too. All distractions from the Nanowrimo. Of course I'll feel like anything but what I planned to do. That happens.

Winter... might be easier this year. Cross your fingers for me. Last year weather knocked me over but I was also overexerting going out too much. Maybe this year with fewer appointments I can keep up and have more writing or painting days.

Judibelle
10-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Norma....I found that ginger brandy worked nicely in my ginger-spice tea while I was suffering....in fact, I may get some more to keep on hand for the cold winter nights!

Jim...so glad to hear your leg is not infected! were you on an antibiotic for it?
Hope the therapy works for you shoulder!
I'm glad to see October go...looking forward to a better month next! Still have to get my flu shot, now that I'm pretty much over my bout with the whatever-it-was...

Rob...a great month for you, in spite of being ill early on...Wishing you well with your 'writing' month ahead!

Nick7
10-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Rob, great month. Be proud of what you have managed to do :)

Nick7
10-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I'll keep it really simple this month. Not to give up on painting and drawing. I need to learn that even if I don't have enough time or energy to finish it, it counts to do at least several marks. So far, I finished everything "in one sitting". But it's impossible now, so I have stopped painting.

I can't believe it was mine post.
:clap:

ligerwolve
10-31-2014, 08:24 PM
So this month my goals are:
1. Sketch up the 9 new pieces so they are ready to go.
2. Finish 3 portfolios and send to galleries.
3. Finish large pastel on velour
4. Finish medium scratchboard.

Well I might have made it had I not had to start the large pastel piece again. I had a lot of trouble attaching the paper to the board and restarted twice. So it will probably take me a couple more weeks to catch up. So not too bad a result. Bring on the busy next couple of months!

robertsloan2
10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Sounds good to me! Life happens and if something goes wrong on a project, so it goes. I didn't paint my cat in oil pastels.

3) Spotlight painting

More or less made them all except for doing an OP painting and a cat portrait, which were intended to be the same painting. Another time. Ah well. I did keep up posting and encouraging though, lots of others posted gorgeous Ari paintings. Did the reviews. Did manage to hold down my spending till my check came...

And promptly spent November's Budget. Today, since my check came a little early. No more till December but I have packages coming. :D