PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes, October 2014

Ferlian
10-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Welcome to the

OCTOBER DIFFERENT STROKES

challenge

GUIDELINES, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) or subject will be presented in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.
Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!
Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere - the RIL e.g.
A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.

** Much more exciting and fun to see what 'masterpieces' appear!
If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ......
that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!

HOSTING: If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302516)

For this month's challenge, I'd like you to pick one of your
FAVORITE BOOKS
(or tv shows, for non-readers)

Now, you have lots of choice:
* you can choose to paint something that reminds you of the feeling that reminds you of the feeling this book evokes in you (like an abstract) or
* a landscape that looks like it could be part of the book's setting (what would Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book be without the graveyard or little house on the prairie be without ..well, the prairie) or
* an illustratioon of a scene or
* a still life depicting objects important to the book or just a nice vignette carrying the mood of the book (there must be a flower bouquet involved somewhere in Pride and Prejudice) or
* you could paint the book itself or
* do a painting of a book that conveys the awesome experience of reading your favorite book or
* if you're not a fan of reading, think of your favorite tv show or audio book and start from there.

Hope you have fun! :wave:

asmith38
10-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Oh what a great challenge!!! Problem is, I read too many books LOL!

Ferlian
10-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Ann, great to have you here. :wave: I read a lot , too and yes, only one book? :eek: Nooooo.... So, why not combine several? Could be fun.

Ferlian

asmith38
10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks Ferlian :wave: back! and Thanks for hosting this month :)

That's a good idea, like maybe a series from a favorite author? *reaches for thinking cap*...

cem
10-01-2014, 12:48 PM
This one will be a real challenge for me. I'm not sure I'm creative enough for this:( But will try none the less. Thanks for hosting!

LavenderFrost
10-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Can I reuse last month's painting? :lol: An interesting challenge but I'm not making any promises. I keep thinking I'll get back into painting more soon but it just isn't happening yet.

Mrs B
10-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Hi Folks, I'd love to join this challenge if that's ok! Complete newbie to Wet Canvas so will see how I get on:)

Had a look at the September Different Strokes and the results are all fantastic and such different interpretations - can't wait to see what everyone produces this time round, looking forward to the 21st already!:D

Ferlian
10-01-2014, 02:55 PM
@Anne, oh, a series. Sounds like an interesting idea in case you do that.

@Cindy: I have these times where my creativity just seems to have gone on vacation. Without me. So I included the suggestion to just paint a book. Or, thinking along the tv show lines, why not paint your tv set? I'm sure there's a lack of telly paintings out there :D .

@Michelle: Yes you can (reuse last month's painting). As a support for the new one. But that would be a shame, wouldn't it? :lol:

@Mrs. B.: Yay, thank you for joining in! You'll see it's a fun ride to take part in.

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Wow Ferlian - I can see this is right up your street!:lol:
Super challenge to get our creative juices flowing :eek:

I read a lot too - and sometimes have nightmares if reading very descriptive passages before trying to sleep ....... oh my!!! :lol:

Mrs B. - a warm welcome here, yes, do join us. If you subscribe to the thread it will keep you in touch and we'll try to keep the fun rolling:D

Imogene Thomas
10-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Ferlian...what an idea! I am not an avid reader, unless I am learning something new about art. However, I think a few light bulbs may go off!

asmith38
10-01-2014, 09:20 PM
@Anne, oh, a series. Sounds like an interesting idea in case you do that.
Uuuh... I meant someone else, one of you guys with talent, imagination, ya know the artsy types ;)

Mrs B: Welcome to Wet Canvas! Glad you'll join us :)

windspirit50
10-01-2014, 10:18 PM
What a great idea! I'm ready........oh...wait....which book???? OMG, this is going to be harder that I thought! :)

ColinS
10-01-2014, 10:26 PM
What a great challenge Ferlian.

I have an idea percolating already. It's ambitious but I always like a challenge. :D

inkslinger69
10-02-2014, 01:22 AM
Hi all! Warm welcome to Mrs. B, you'll love it here, these folks are the best! Everybody seems to have some kind of handle on what there doing, I can't even remember what boxes all my books are in, except my art books. I guess I could paint a guy doing a painting of an art book about painting? Ouch! now I've given myself a headache. Darn!

Ferlian
10-02-2014, 03:53 AM
@Maureen: Now I wonder, what are you reading in bed? :eek:

@JT: The suggestions for this month are open to all books, not only fictional ones :)

@Anne,
:cool: (<- my talent and imagination when thinking about a painting)
:confused: (<- wondering where they have gone once I sit down to start. 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration, as they say :D)

@Pam, why do I suddenly see a painting of heaps and heaps of books when closing my eyes?

@Colin, I'm already excited to see what it is. Why oh why is the 21st still so far away? Oh, wait, I still haven't started. Better be patient.

@inkslinger, you made my morning! When I read your post I burst out loughing. :lol:

Ferlian

Mrs B
10-02-2014, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome folks! Have subscribed to the thread so I can keep track of things.
Got tons of ideas, but as I spend all day looking after my 5 month old, I think that time is going to be my main challenge!:lol:
I take it that there's no restriction on canvas size? was going to stick to something small to maximise my time!

Ferlian
10-02-2014, 05:53 AM
@Mrs. B.: Nope, no restrictions :). Have fun with whatever size and support suits you.

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Mrs B - have you a first name we can use for you? It's nicer than being formal!:lol:
I think probably most of us make these paintings smaller rather than BIG - but it's entirely up to you - they all look the same size on screen!:lol:

Tim - hope you manage to join us this month :thumbsup:

Mrs B
10-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Hi Ferlian - thanks for confirming, will probably make it an 8x10 as that fits in my home-made pochade box...
Charlie's Mum/ Maureen - yes of course!, sorry! didn't realise I hadn't done a signature:lol: I'm Gemma - please call me Gem:wave: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
10-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Hi Gem :wave: - now you're really part of the gang ;)

Colleen66
10-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a fun challenge. I'm still completely intimidated but I will try my best. I think I have an idea...just not sure I can pull it off.

Hi Gem, I'm very new also.

Hi all...:wave: . Colleen

asmith38
10-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I think I have an idea...just not sure I can pull it off.

I know the feeling!!! Not sure that I can manage what I'd really like to paint for this. Oh well, can always paint over... gotta love acrylics for that!

inkslinger69
10-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Maureen- I'm down like two flat tires! actually got a good start on my planning and layout.

Mrs B
10-03-2014, 05:02 AM
I know the feeling!!! Not sure that I can manage what I'd really like to paint for this. Oh well, can always paint over... gotta love acrylics for that!

I am forever doing that!! Always have great ideas but getting what is in my mind's eye onto the canvas is much trickier.
Hi Colleen:wave: I'm sure the guys will be gentle with us on our first attempts!:D :D

OK, book selected, preliminary sketch done while little 'un was finally asleep.
Some tweaking needed then I can break out a fresh canvas yay!:)

friesin
10-03-2014, 05:25 AM
great idea!
I won't have to work for a few days, so I can hopefully join this challenge this month ;)

Already thinking about the book.....

Ferlian
10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
@Colleen, you're in good company. I have a plan and in my mind's eye it looks good but... er, yes. If things will start to look unrecognisable, I can still take my pallette in hand and smear it across the canvas. There. Abstract *cough*

@inkslinger, you're a fast one. :clap:

@Mrs. B., I know from personal experience that folks here are exceptionally nice. :D You've also started! Now I feel like I'm aleady behind :clear:

@Friesin, great to have you join us!

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2014, 03:13 PM
My goodness, according to you lot I'm behind already :eek: ...... can't even decide which book ...... definitely not 50 Shades!!!!! :lol:

asmith38
10-03-2014, 10:51 PM
My goodness, according to you lot I'm behind already :eek: ...... can't even decide which book ...... definitely not 50 Shades!!!!! :lol:
LOL that would be fun...maybe.

bluemoonstar
10-04-2014, 12:04 AM
This is quite an interesting challenge... puts on thinking cap...
I have GOT to make time for this one!

Ferlian
10-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Glad you like it, Pat. :wave:

Heh, Maureen, guess it would be pretty monochrome :angel: :music:

Ferlian

inkslinger69
10-05-2014, 01:03 AM
got a quick question for the group. Having a slight problem with color. I've a fairly good grasp on color theory, but I can't seem to mix gold color. Every attempt has bombed. I looked in ALL my art books ( got a few. really like books!) and couldn't find the answer, so I'm turning to my partners at graffiti, with the hopes that the art posse can help an old cowpoke in need!

inkslinger69
10-05-2014, 01:05 AM
FYI, its not good to go around poking cows. The last cow I poked bit me on the hinder parts and I couldn't sit straight for about a week!

Ferlian
10-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Interesting question. So far I have used light ochre and worked from there. but I admit I wasn't picky about the results. I've checked the two color theory books I have and yep, no answer :confused:

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Well pardner, just don't expect a metallic look!:lol: ;)

I think your best bet is to find an image with 'gold' impression, use a photo manipulation/graphics programme and 'colour-pick' various parts, try to identify colours you'd use to get that bit.
I'd choose/use any of the yellows - in various amounts - ochre, white, even touches of red where warmth is needed ... and where there are dark areas, look for reflected colours.

inkslinger69
10-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys! What I'm trying to replicate is the look of old gold embossing of title and such on spine of old book. Didn't think it would be so difficult, but its proving to be quite elusive. Ah, but I do so love a challenge! You know, I've never in my life met a more helpful, open, warm and caring group of folks in my life, and I'm thankful and blessed to be apart of this community!

Moonstone_Vedis
10-05-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm excited about this challenge and will have good surprise one.

~Golanv

Charlie's Mum
10-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Tim - it's why most of us are here! ;)
... and I'm thinking, for gold lettering the gold might be darker with just flecks of brightness? Might be worn in places and the leather covering showing through? :)

Golanv - glad you're joining us again - bet you come up with a good idea:)

Ferlian
10-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Inkslinger, yes, that's how I feel about the people here, too. :cat: It's amazing.

Golanv, welcome in! Sounds like there's something promising on the way. I'm getting more excited for 21st by the day :D

Ferlian

ColinS
10-05-2014, 08:44 PM
I have at least, made a couple of sketches, sought advice on perspective from my son (whether I am clever enough to actually follow it correctly remains to be seen) and blocked in the lights and darks. :)

I love it when a painting is still at an early stage because nothing has gone "ugly" yet! ;)

chammi kaiser
10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Great challenge Ferlian. My home was so packed with books. I cannot pass a books shop without buying something so it will be a hard choice. My husband has bought me an E Book as he was tired of schlepping a suitcase with several (more pages the better) paperbacks around whilst on holiday. What a huge choice we have this month. I think mine will reflect one of my childhood books which remain in a joyous memory.

Welcome Mrs B. Good to have you with us.

LavenderFrost
10-06-2014, 11:41 AM
When I have painted gold I started with brown and used lighter yellowy shades for the lighter areas, going to light yellow for the brightest highlights. I had gold writing on the book in last month's painting, though I'm not sure if I really pulled it off that time.

Ferlian
10-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Wow, Colin, a couple of sketches... all I got done so far was deciding which book to go for.

Chammi, I know the feeling. I read a lot of ebooks on my mobile now but I also have to keep away from my favorite bookstore - I can never leave there without a whole pile of books and my wallet considerably thinner.

Michelle, thank you for telling us about this approach. Tim got me interested now. I'll give your way of doing it a try next time.

Ferlian

asmith38
10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I have started on my painting for this month. So far, I only have the background and the mountains :rolleyes: . This book is part of a series that I enjoy. All the books take place in the same area, so I knew I needed mountains.

Now the hard part: which book to use:( ? The one I really would like to do, well, would have things that I don't know if I can paint them. Oh wait... this is a challenge, right? Hmmm... it's gonna be a real challenge but heck, the worst that can happen is that I paint over it, right :D ?

Taking the plunge :eek: LOL!

Ferlian
10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
:clap: Go for it, Anne. I hope I'll be as couragous as you when it comes to deciding what exactly to paint.

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-06-2014, 06:20 PM
:( :confused: this is me trying to decide which book ....... think I'd like to do the bookshelves!:lol:

Ferlian
10-07-2014, 01:25 AM
How many books can you squeeze onto one canvas, Maureen? :lol:

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-07-2014, 07:02 AM
A few hundred? ..... if they're really tiny!!!:lol:

inkslinger69
10-07-2014, 10:01 AM
A few thousand if you can stretch a really BIG canvas!

Mrs B
10-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Ok, have made a good start and done the sky, but found a good way to blend that I haven't tried before. Now I'm wondering whether to start again and re-do the sky so that I can practise it again and maybe get a better result...... Or should i carry on with the painting...... Hmmm decisions!!
Given how limited my time is, think I might stick with it and hope for the best!
Hi Chammi, thanks for the welcome!
Maureen, the bookshelves would be very original, fantastic idea!
Ann, be brave and do the book you love, you'll have more enthusiasm for it in the long run ! :)

asmith38
10-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Ok, have made a good start and done the sky, but found a good way to blend that I haven't tried before. Now I'm wondering whether to start again and re-do the sky so that I can practise it again and maybe get a better result...... Or should i carry on with the painting...... Hmmm decisions!!
Given how limited my time is, think I might stick with it and hope for the best!
Hi Chammi, thanks for the welcome!
Maureen, the bookshelves would be very original, fantastic idea!
Ann, be brave and do the book you love, you'll have more enthusiasm for it in the long run ! :)
Hi Mrs B,
Thank you for the encouragement, I am working on it...:)

What new way to blend have you found? Inquiring minds, ya know ;)

Mrs B
10-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi Mrs B,
Thank you for the encouragement, I am working on it...:)

What new way to blend have you found? Inquiring minds, ya know ;)

Well its probably something you experienced peeps already do, but I used a cotton bud and then a large soft brush!!:lol: Without giving to much away, I'm painting a sky and a moon. While the sky colour was still wet, I painted an ' aura' around the moon and blended it gradually outwards with the cotton bud. Then really lightly brushed over it with a large dry soft brush to soften the blend even further. Sounds really nice, so hope the actual piece isn't a disappointment LOL!!!:crossfingers: Pleased with the sky, but all the other colours now look really muddy, so lots more work needed......! :wink2:

asmith38
10-07-2014, 08:26 PM
That sounds like a clever method, Gemma!
I have heard of people using Q-tips (I imagine that's what you call buds) but I have never tried it. I'll have to remember that :).

Ferlian
10-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Gem, thanks for sharing :wave: Sounds like something I should try.

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-08-2014, 07:01 AM
I have cotton buds in my tray always!;) (Yes Ann, Q-tips;))
Well done Gem - and the best thing about acrylics is it's so easy to work over them again ... and again ... and again ... ad infinitum!:lol:

Ferlian
10-09-2014, 04:13 AM
(Warning: ignorant question ahead)
Won't some of the Q-tip's white stuff stick to the canvas? :confused:
I'd try out myself but this month I'm not going to paint with thick enough paint to try this.

Ferlian

Mrs B
10-09-2014, 05:02 AM
(Warning: ignorant question ahead)
Won't some of the Q-tip's white stuff stick to the canvas? :confused:
I'd try out myself but this month I'm not going to paint with thick enough paint to try this.

Ferlian

Hi Ferlian, yes, if you use them for too long, all the cotton fibres can all come off the stick, and I found that it was easier to have less paint on the canvas and for the paint to be on the way to drying. I also rotated the cotton bud between my fingers to make sure any loose fibers just rolled round the bud and not stayed stuck to the canvas.
Sorry, that's probably way more info than you needed LOL 😁 :lol:

Ferlian
10-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Gem, no way is this more than I needed. It's just right :wave:Thanks for your answer. I've never had any formal training so there are a lot of white areas on the map-of-what-I-know.

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-09-2014, 12:14 PM
They're very good for doing dots! So, if Pointillism is your thing ............... :lol:

Mrs B
10-09-2014, 07:10 PM
I've not had any formal training either (unless you count GCSE art many, many years ago!) :lol:

Mrs B
10-09-2014, 07:12 PM
They're very good for doing dots! So, if Pointillism is your thing ............... :lol:

Ooh-sounds like a good idea for another challenge!:wink2:

asmith38
10-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Ooh-sounds like a good idea for another challenge!:wink2:
Oh I'd like that! I've always been intrigued by pointillism.

Ferlian
10-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Oh yes! When we had "impressionist" as a challenge in June (thanks, Maureen :thumbsup:). My attempt didn't look very impressionist but was vastly different in style from what I usually do; this was so helpful in stretching boundaries and to dip my toe into new waters. And it was lots of fun!

Ferlian

inkslinger69
10-10-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't know Ferlian, last time I dipped my toes in new waters, my feet got attacked by some nasty little jellyfish! couldn't put shoes on for 6 days! Definitely wasn't a lot of fun!

Ferlian
10-11-2014, 06:43 AM
*Eeek* I got stung once but I was more lucky than you, Tim. I wonder if we could take revenge by having an who-can-paint-the-uglies-jellyfish contest :evil:

:D Lots of ideas for future Different Strokes in this thread.

Ferlian

Fox_eNova
10-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I used to windsurf. Got stung by a jelly fish on the head..lost all my hair for 6 months. Nasty weird creatures....sorta like art critics LOL

inkslinger69
10-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Ferlian-That does sound like a rather interesting challenge! You'll have to pony up again and sponsor it!!

Eric- Love your tag line! Especially since its so true of us all! I've heard some nasty stories about jelly fish, between growing up on L.I. and commercial fishing for a number of years, but I don't recall ever hearing about hair loss! That had to really bite! Well...Sting!!!!

Ferlian
10-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Eric, that sounds grizzly :eek:

Tim, I'd totally do that :D except I wonder how many would like to join this? (I would, though :lol:)

Ferlian

inkslinger69
10-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Ferlian, I'd be down with you, but 2 participants isn't a challenge, it's a duel! Don't think that's quite in the spirit of the whole thing, do you? Eric might join up, sounds like he might like a little "j-fish beat down" huh?

inkslinger69
10-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I can't believe no one's posted here for over 2 days! What's up artsy folks! Someone steal all the inspiration? Lets get some chatter going out there! I know everyone's not all painting, drawing, sketching etc. at the same time! Anybody out there????

asmith38
10-15-2014, 10:22 PM
:wave: I'm here

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 01:50 AM
sorry I missed you, Ann. Next time I'll stick around a little longer. I went to artistnetwork.tv and watched some videos on pastels, my next new endeavor.

Mrs B
10-16-2014, 04:16 AM
I'm here too! 😊
Struggling with the foreground of my painting at the moment - everything looks really dark, paintings at night are harder than I thought!!!
Is it really the 16th already?! Only 5 days to go, eek! :(

Ferlian
10-16-2014, 05:22 AM
:wave: Here I am. Sorry for not showing up sooner. Thank you for the reminder, Tim. So far I haven't set brush to paper yet but I've choosen my scene. I hope I can live up to what I see in my head :rolleyes:

Gem, yes, I realized that too, after I carelessly picked "Nighttime" as a theme last time I hosted a Different Strokes :lol: You're not alone.
And yes, the clock is ticking...

How is everybody else doing?

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Two days ago WC was experiencing nightmarish problems - you missed them? Sheesh - wish I had.

Yesterday wasn't much better and today it's very slow ......... so that's probably why traffic here seems slow;)

Yesterday and Tuesday I was not best friends with this site :rolleyes: ........ and all the hassle it's caused has taken away my painting time, so I'm not best pleased with that either.
Harrumph!!!!!

ColinS
10-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Mine is coming along... I struggle with just "making things up" for a composition. I like having references or painting from real life.

Colleen66
10-16-2014, 11:14 AM
I've go my sketch all done but I got sick...haven't been able to drag my butt to my painting desk :) I'm on the mend so maybe today I'll get there. Time is flying by!

Colleen

Charlie's Mum
10-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Colleen - in your own time m'dear! Your health comes first! Get well very soon.:)

Imogene Thomas
10-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Time is flying by Colleen!

I have my theme and scene and I have been painting. All this while having new countertops installed in my kitchen (my painting space), so this is a struggle. I have not had use of the kitchen or bathroom sinks for 2 days now. Thank goodness, I do have a shower! :) Hope to get back into my space after today!

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Colleen- Hope you get to feeling better very soon! I've just gotten over a bout of the flu, and boy, it was a doozy!! Haven't been that sick in a LONG time. You have my sympathy and my prayers.
Maureen- Hope all is well with you. Haven't had much of a chance to chat here lately, seems my schedule has been running out of sync with everyone else's!
JTM- I can so relate to your dilemma, having been a remodel contractor for 30+ years, specializing in kitchens and baths. I never did leave anyone without an operable sink, though. Everyone has their own methods, I guess. Hope there's a speedy finish for you!

asmith38
10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Looks like the site is fixed now, seems to be working fine.
I have finished my painting for this month's challenge - I must have an OCD streak or something, can't have a deadline looming over my head, even if it's a friendly challenge. I have to do it right away or it will torture me and prevent sleep.
Colleen, hope you feel better.
JT, think of how wonderful your new kitchen will be.
Inkslinger, don't worry, I seem to drift in here a lot.

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey All! Every time I go somewhere and post, I seem to get stuck! I can't scroll up, page up, hit home or run away screaming! I just looked at NoVanGogh's current pc "snoopy and his sopwith camel" and had to actually close out wet canvas and restart it! Anybody else have that problem? Or is someone trying to tell me to go away? ( I do get that a lot!) any help, advice or suggestions are warmly welcome and much appreciated! Thanks!!

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Well, I didn't get stuck that time! Must truly be a magical place!!

asmith38
10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Inkslinger,
Have you tried clearing your browser cache? I'm not having any problems today.

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I just cleared everything out of my browser, this is now the test....its only a test...do not adjust your wet canvas...... BUT, do be very afraid.........

asmith38
10-16-2014, 05:07 PM
...and the results are... :D

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Maureen- if by "problems" you mean getting stuck everywhere I posted, pages taking longer told then it takes to make handmade paper, moving up when you wanted to move down......I beat the living!#%%$#@!& out of my computer because of that! I thought all that was on my end till I tried posting today, and twice had to actually log off and restart wet canvas! BTW- Thanks all, for coming back to the scene of the crime!

inkslinger69
10-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Got stuck twice in a row!!! I'm gonna go play with my pastels now. I'll come back after I've created something to post. At least then I'll have a reason to be stuck!!

asmith38
10-16-2014, 05:37 PM
inkslinger,
Sorry you're having such issues. Are you having problems on other sites or just WC?

Charlie's Mum
10-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes Tim, any and all of those things! It's been very slow today too. Add to thst multiple posts in many threads, which then need removing and you can see where my time is going!

JT, on Monday we'll be having the en suite renovated, hence no painting time then either!
When we had both main bathroom and kitchen renos done the fitters were excellent and caused as little interference with our lives as possible. Mind you, I don't paint in the kitchen though my studio space became a temporary kitchen!
Just think how nice it all is when done!:)

windspirit50
10-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Colleen-hope you are better by now
Inkslinger-so painting with pastels helped? :) Hope you "stuckness" goes away soon
The month is flying by and so, my time with trying this month's theme is out the window. I wish to be back to normal......but then again, what is "normal" these days? Ah well.....maybe some painting time on Sunday...

inkslinger69
10-17-2014, 01:26 AM
hey all!
Ann- only problems here, and the normal slow streaming on artist network.tv.
Maureen- Maybe tomorrow will be better. but better or not, I'll be around putting my 2centovos in! No shame in my game! Aint no little gigabyte wuppin' up on me! I got a damn big pistola, and aint afraid to use it! (see why my neighbors think I'm nuts?)
Pam- the pastels didn't help, turned my sky green! Drinking beer, on the other hand, Helped extraordinarily well!!

Ferlian
10-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Maureen, I did try to post things and despite the feedback message that the post had been successful I had to try three times....until I gave up. One post finally appeared the next day.

Colleen, main thing now is that you get better. Also, you still have until the end of this month and that's two weeks away (and after that, you could still open your own thread). No worries :cool:

JT, somehow a picture of someone painting in a shower appeared in my head and now it's stuck there :lol: I hope all goes well with the renovating. Thank you for still making time to participate.

Wow, Anne, I wish I was as good at handling deadlines as you!

Tim, I keep my fingers crossed that the site plays along.

Pam, that could have been written by me. I feel like I keep only seeing the back lights of the time train, running constantly behind. Good thing I have a day off on Monday so I can hopefully catch up on things just in time. Hope this weekend will bring some painting time for you.

Looking at my post, it seems we could all use some :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

asmith38
10-17-2014, 03:53 PM
hey all!
Ann- only problems here, and the normal slow streaming on artist network.tv.

Maybe it's your connection? I have DSL and it will sometimes drop to 0 bandwidth for a second or two. Then, I have to reload whatever video I was watching. Unfortunately, this is the only company that offers internet in my area.

Ferlian, I'm not sure it's always a good thing :D.

inkslinger69
10-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Ann- Don't think the band width is the problem, starting to think it might be the buffering. Never had these problems with windows 7. Gonna try changing my settings, turn 'em up some, and see what happens. But not till later, still got important stuff to do.

asmith38
10-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Best of luck, inkslinger :). Hope you get it to work.

Maureen, thank you for the new sticky thread, very useful, lots of easily accessed info there. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363257

Mrs B
10-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Got a good bit of painting done tonight in between Dr who and checking on the baby! Think its almost there, but going to have another look at it in the morning as I've been staring at it too long now. (does anyone else ever have that feeling with a painting?)
Bit disappointed with some of the details, but think its down to my original composition sketch...
In some ways it's good to have a time limit, or I could be working on it forever!
How is everyone else doing? Hope everyone manages some decent painting time this weekend, can't wait to see what you are all working on:)

Ferlian
10-19-2014, 04:14 AM
I got some sketching done yesterday. I'm afraid that's all that will happen until tonight as I have visitors this weekend. But I have a day off work tomorrow :D

Gem, I know the feeling. Sometimes I feel like get stuck and have to put it aside for a while so I can look at it with fresh eyes another day.

Ferlian

Colleen66
10-19-2014, 11:25 AM
I finally got some paint down thanks to all your well wishes :). Am feeling better and better every day. Still hoping to meet the deadline.

Colleen

LavenderFrost
10-19-2014, 01:10 PM
I worked on a tiny one yesterday. I was going to see if I could do it in an hour but even at that size I need more time.

inkslinger69
10-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Hey All! Seems like everyone's making that last minute push! Me too! Finally got mine started on Friday, re-did it Saturday morning, down sized it Saturday night, hopefully finish today! Good luck, God speed and pass the slo-dri gel!!!....I wonder if I'll be able to get out of here today without using the "back door"?

inkslinger69
10-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Well, that didn't work out so well! was stuck like chuck! Always did like the back door, anyway....

Charlie's Mum
10-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Maybe we're all at the back door too?:lol:

Ferlian
10-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Colleen, great to hear you're feeling better :cat:

Michelle, what a great idea, trying the one-hour idea with this.

Tim, the last minute push is my normal way of working :angel:

Maureen, I'll be hanging around there somewhere for sure :D

Ferlian

old_hobbyist
10-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Sigh. I envy you who are rising to the challenge this month.

Ferlian
10-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Old_hobbyist, there is still time. Apart from a few meager sketches, I only really start today :D Also, I missed you this Different Strokes. Just clicked myself through all this month's Quick Dry Cafe pages to find out what's up with you, but nope. I hope everything is alright? :wave:

Ferlian

Ferlian
10-20-2014, 08:26 AM
I've started on mine, trying a different technique this time. It's not going to a simply ugly state this time but an extremely ugly stage :eek: I just hope I can push it out the other end into nice painting territory.

Ferlian

ColinS
10-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Mine is still in "pause" mode. I got distracted by a one-hour challenge last week, and then we went away for the weekend so didn't have much time to spend on it, and anyway ...hope I'll have the energy to complete after work tonight...

Ferlian
10-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Well... todays attempt turned out a mess of muddy paintblobs and was trashed. Trying out something new with a deadline so close doesn't seem like such a good idea in hindsight :lol:

Off to a new one, though that will take some time.

Ferlian

cem
10-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Well, it doesn't look like I'll have time to participate this month. I will, however, be back to see what y'all have come up with:P

Colleen66
10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Oh my Gosh...I FINISHED IT :) I'm exhasted, but it's done and I'm very happy with my effort!

I hope the rest of you make the deadline. I really can't wait to see all the different interpretations of this challenge.

Good Luck All....Colleen

asmith38
10-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Mine is still in "pause" mode. I got distracted by a one-hour challenge last week, and then we went away for the weekend so didn't have much time to spend on it, and anyway ...hope I'll have the energy to complete after work tonight...

I'm sorry Colin, did not mean to do that to you. That's me beating myself with a wet noodle :o .

I got to take a pic of mine. Isn't it the 21st somewhere like Australia ;) ?

inkslinger69
10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Now please tell me........when exactly is the showdown at the acrylic corral? The last few days I've had a terrible case of CRS (can't remember S...tuff). I'm almost done, got one thing crooked, and usually when I try to "fix" something, it turns into a cluster muffin re-do. Don't think I've got time for that, even with my simplistic little piece.
Colleen- congrats on the big finish!
Cindy- there's always next month!
Ferlian- I've got faith in ya' brother!
ColinS- faith enough for you too! (might be starting to run low now....)

Ferlian
10-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Yay, Colleen! Way to go! :clap:

I won't make 21st but I'll make the end-of-the-month deadline as I have to work tomorrow and had to head downtown for dutch class after ditching my first attempt this afternoon.

Tim, reveal is the 21st. Whenever 21st starts at your place :D

Ferlian

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Well, at lunch time I got a sketch roughed out in my sketchbook then - bang - DH collapsed and we've had a bit of a humdinger day since then. Urgent Care team of nurses eventually got here and did very thorough exam ..... he sees the doctor tomorrow but right now he's resting = asleep watching the football! Nurses thought he'd be better 'up and about' but being careful ........ so that kind of put paid to any painting ideas!

On top of that, the bathroom fitters have been here working - just as well really, they helped me pick DH up off the drive and get him indoors :eek:

Wonder what tomorrow will bring!!!

asmith38
10-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Well, at lunch time I got a sketch roughed out in my sketchbook then - bang - DH collapsed and we've had a bit of a humdinger day since then. Urgent Care team of nurses eventually got here and did very thorough exam ..... he sees the doctor tomorrow but right now he's resting = asleep watching the football! Nurses thought he'd be better 'up and about' but being careful ........ so that kind of put paid to any painting ideas!

On top of that, the bathroom fitters have been here working - just as well really, they helped me pick DH up off the drive and get him indoors :eek:

Wonder what tomorrow will bring!!!

Oh wow! I hope he's okay. Having a sick husband (or father) is worse than being sick yourself. And I don't mean that in a negative way to the gents.

May you have a quiet, uneventful, boring day tomorrow :).

Mrs B
10-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Maureen - So sorry to hear that, what a fright! Hope that DH rests up and gets better soon. Hope that tomorrow brings a better day for you both.:crossfingers:

Colleen - Well Done! :clap: I'm very jealous but excited to see what you've come up with!

Ferlian - Well I've given it a rest and had another look and am considering repainting quite a large bit of it...... maybe the 21st might be a day or two late coming to Wales?....!!:lol: :lol:

inkslinger69
10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Hello Everyone!
Maureen- I'm so sorry to hear about your medical crisis! My heart and my prayers go out to you and DH (husband??)
Colleen- You go girl!
Frelian- its not the 21st till you X out your calendar. We both have time, but not much! Maybe I should go out and crank up my old hog. That always gets my juices flowing!
Gemma- you can play on calendar hill with me and Ferlian!
Ann- next time use a wet paint brush, might at least get something creative out of it!;)

asmith38
10-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Ann- next time use a wet paint brush, might at least get something creative out of it!;)

LOL! Good one!

inkslinger69
10-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Glad you liked that one Ann, I thought a bit of side ways humor might get you over your self flagglatonism (is that even a word? the squiggly red line says no!). If your ever down around the docks and see any long line boats, could you get me a couple of photos of them. Where I live, the foothills of the blue ridge mtns, there aren't any longline boats to be seen (except on perfect storm), and I've started a composit sketch that requires some detail that I can't recall. Haven't been on a longliner in almost 30 yrs. and the old memory isn't what it used to be. You might be pleased to know, I sure was, that I was able to fix my painting without having to totally re-do it! All time first for me!!! I'm so HAPPY!!!!! Now if I can just hold out till 12:01 without getting that overwhelming need to "tweak" my painting.

asmith38
10-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Glad you liked that one Ann, I thought a bit of side ways humor might get you over your self flagglatonism (is that even a word? the squiggly red line says no!). If your ever down around the docks and see any long line boats, could you get me a couple of photos of them. Where I live, the foothills of the blue ridge mtns, there aren't any longline boats to be seen (except on perfect storm), and I've started a composit sketch that requires some detail that I can't recall. Haven't been on a longliner in almost 30 yrs. and the old memory isn't what it used to be. You might be pleased to know, I sure was, that I was able to fix my painting without having to totally re-do it! All time first for me!!! I'm so HAPPY!!!!! Now if I can just hold out till 12:01 without getting that overwhelming need to "tweak" my painting.

Uhhh you got me with that flagglatonism... not sure what it means :confused: .

Not many longliners down here, mostly flat boats as our waters are shallow.

:clap: YES! Very glad you were able to fix your painting!

inkslinger69
10-21-2014, 01:00 AM
ready or not, here it comes! My painting abilities pretty much stink, but I think I did a fairly good job on the gold.:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2014/1051342-thompsons_2.JPG

liquitex full body and golden open acrylics on 8x10 canvas panel

inkslinger69
10-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Ann- there was an old sect of catholic monks, I can't remember their names, who used to whip and beat on themselves as an act of penance and subservience to God! Me personally, I don't think God really smiles at that type of stuff! They called that flagellation, if I remember correctly. (spelling is probably incorrect, its kind of an arcane word, and I don't have anything but a little pocket dictionary anymore. sorry)

ColinS
10-21-2014, 03:17 AM
I'm sorry Colin, did not mean to do that to you. That's me beating myself with a wet noodle :o .

I got to take a pic of mine. Isn't it the 21st somewhere like Australia ;) ?

Stop beating yourself Ann - it was my own fault. Anyway noodles are for eating. ;) But I got my painting done. Now to wait my turn.

Nice one Inkslinger. The leather cover looks just like it's been well read.

Maureen very sorry to hear about your husband. Hope all is well.

Moonstone_Vedis
10-21-2014, 03:55 AM
My entry is from my favorite TV Show Naked and Afraid on Discovery Channel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2014/1890182-Naked_and_Afraid_in_Costa_Rica.jpg

18" X 24" Acrylic on Canvas
Title Naked and Afraid in Costa Rica
Photo Source Paul Sherman http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/photo/sri-lankan-leopard

This was fun challenge! Sorry I have had to be MIA a lot but real life is kicking me hard right now.

~Golanv

chammi kaiser
10-21-2014, 05:03 AM
Tim. Like the shine on that leather.

Golanv - Hope things turn out better for you soon. Fabulous work but if you saw this as a child, wasn't it awfully scary???

I am not going to make it this month but am busy on a large painting for my exhibition inspired by this challenge so will post that when finished.

asmith38
10-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Some great entries already!

(Yes, I know it's 4am here, but can't sleep so... I'm on WC lol).

Golanv,
That is quite an amazing drawing!!! Scaryyyy :eek:

Inkslider,
Excellent job on the book! Love the gold, the pages, the shadow... you can tell it's been in the family a long time and read a lot :thumbsup: .

As for the monks business, I think you wanted the words self-flogging? For some reason, English changed it from an "a" to an "o", probably because flagging is to use a flag... just a guess. And yes, flagellation from the French... but, really, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather pass on that idea :D. Don't tell Colin, but I didn't really waste good pasta :lol: .

Can't wait to see more entries!

Here's mine. It is based on a Rita Mae Brown novel, called Santa Clawed. The heroine is always with her corgi and two cats (the trio of animals in the foreground). Of course, they're the ones who really solve the mystery but they let their human think that she did it all by herself. It takes place in the foothills of the Blue Mountains, in Virginia (big blue blobs in the back). This one involves a tiny monastery perched in the mountains (the little brow blob up there) and a tool chest of money (the green box on the left).
Painted with acrylics on raw cotton fabric. Untrimmed right now, it's about 13.5" x 15.25".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2014/26997-IMG_0002.JPG

Ferlian
10-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Maureen, sorry to hear about what happened to your husband. I can't imagine what it must have been like :eek:. I hope he's better now.

Colin, you still stand a very good chance of beating me to it. :D What with commuting, preparing food and bathing whatnots I won't be able to start over before 8 p.m. :crossfingers: (<- for an energy boost for you)

Tim, that book looks wonderful! "My painting abilities pretty much stink" - now I feel tempted to drag my kindergarten style painting from the waste paperbin and post it :lol: I love the texture on your book's cover. And yes, it looked like gold to me.

Golanv, please tell me you sat there painting for at least 59 hours. The realistic animals look great against the more stylized background. I love how the glance from the monkey to the leopard adds to the tension caused by the wildcat's grim look.

Anne, what an adorable corgie and cats :cat: (<- wish there was also a dog smiley). I love how your painting tells a story, even without knowing about its background. Thank you so much for supplying that, too.

Cindy and Chammy, you'll still get the visual presents :D

Ferlian

Mrs B
10-21-2014, 07:03 AM
ready or not, here it comes! My painting abilities pretty much stink, but I think I did a fairly good job on the gold.:rolleyes:
liquitex full body and golden open acrylics on 8x10 canvas panel

That's a fantastic painting! You can really tell it's a favourite book and I love the way it curves slightly from wear - looks like a sturdy leather that has softened with use. I think the gold lettering turned out well too - I tried to do a still life last month that had gold and silver in it, and found the metalics really hard!

I think you may be referring to the opus dei monks when you talk about the self-flagellation - and no, I'm not painting a Dan Brown book!!:lol:

Mrs B
10-21-2014, 07:08 AM
My entry is from my favorite TV Show Naked and Afraid on Discovery Channel

This was fun challenge! Sorry I have had to be MIA a lot but real life is kicking me hard right now.

Golanv - the detail is amazing on your painting - love the fur! How did you manage to get so much done in just 3 weeks?! Hope that life is kinder to you next month:)

Mrs B
10-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Here's mine. It is based on a Rita Mae Brown novel, called Santa Clawed. The heroine is always with her corgi and two cats (the trio of animals in the foreground). Of course, they're the ones who really solve the mystery but they let their human think that she did it all by herself. It takes place in the foothills of the Blue Mountains, in Virginia (big blue blobs in the back). This one involves a tiny monastery perched in the mountains (the little brow blob up there) and a tool chest of money (the green box on the left).
Painted with acrylics on raw cotton fabric. Untrimmed right now, it's about 13.5" x 15.25".

Ann - I've never even heard of raw cotton fabric as a base for a painting instead of a primed canvas cloth, but I love the texture. The blue mountains that disappear into the background are brill and your animals are so cute!:cat:
I've not heard of Rita Mae Brown but will have to look her up as I love the idea of the animals secretly solving the whole thing and love a good mystery!

Mrs B
10-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Gemma- you can play on calendar hill with me and Ferlian!

Yep - think I might have to pretend that Wales is a bit more behind the times (not hard lol:lol: !) and redo that section of painting that I want to this evening. If I'm lucky I will be able to submit mine on Wednesday or Thursday at the latest!:D :wink2:

Moonstone_Vedis
10-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Thanks all for comments. Did not see as a child it is just something I made up from the TV show I watch. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid/about-the-show/about-the-show.htm

cem
10-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Maureen, I'm so sorry to hear about your DH! I hope it is nothing serious and he is up and about in no time. Good luck at the Doctor.

Some good entries so far. Will be back later on to comment individually.

Have a good day ya'll!

Colleen66
10-21-2014, 10:02 AM
My entry is called The Historian. A favorite book of mine. I hope my interpretation of my favorite book came across well.

Inkslinger, I love that old leather book. I really like the feel of those in my hands!

Golanv, Wow...It's beautiful.

asmith, The colors and fluidity is wonderful...the whole composition is very charming.

Can't wait to see more :) Colleen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2014/1893388-TheHistorianSm.jpg

8 x 10 acrylic and pen

ColinS
10-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Great work everyone. I will be back to comment later but wanted to get this up before work. Acrylic on canvasboard, 24 x 30". A view of Minas Tirith in the days before the battle from Lord of the Rings. If you look carefully, a hobbit sits in the shadows having a moment of angst as the dark clouds gather in the East. The main part of the composition is based on a photo looking up toward Budapest Castle.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2014/1183569-image.jpg

ColinS
10-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Golanv - your leopard and orangutan are gorgeous! Well done. :clap:

Ann - that is very cute. Beautiful colourful feel to the painting. I especially like the impressionistic feel to the foliage. :thumbsup:

Colleen - great idea and very nicely done. Really crisp and neat style that suits the subject and draws in the viewer. I feel like I could turn the pages and continue reading.

LavenderFrost
10-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Maureen, I hope all is well with your husband. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Yes, art is often a form of self torture. lol

Inkslinger, love it. It does have the look of a much used book.

Golanv, excellent work!

Ann, nice work. My mom reads those books.

Colleen, a wonderful image and nice work on the handwriting.

Good work Colin, and nice to see something from Lord of the Rings.

I have CRS too so I hope I didn't forget anything lol.

LavenderFrost
10-21-2014, 01:12 PM
It seems like a lot of us had a difficult time this month? I wonder why. I decided to make it small, trading card size, and kind of relax with it, so it's not my usual style. Not sure how I feel about it.

When I think of reading I also think of getting comfy and cozy with a book.

3.5x2.5 inches

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2014/104871-BookOnBed600x424.jpg

ColinS
10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
That is really beautiful Michelle. I like it a lot. You pulled off a different style really successfully with the loose brushwork and the painterly approach. Bravo!

Ferlian
10-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Colleen, this is beautiful! Sorry, I can't find any other words right now as I stare.

Colin, yay, the white city! I love your addition of the hobbit. I hope he has some companions somewhere close. I wish I could explore these buildings.

Michelle, such lovely colors. Made me sigh and just settle down there to read.

Great work everyone :clap:

I finally got home from work. I hope to make a fresh startI but I'll have to get some food inside me and fight off the urge to just curl up and sleep on the couch I have from catching a cold on Sunday. I hope to at least get a sketch done that I can finish with paint tomorrow.

Ferlian

ColinS
10-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone. I know the perspective is off. I did not follow my son's good advice about strings and pins and off-canvas vanishing points, but just 'winged it'. :lol: Anyway, after 1000 years or so a city is likely to get a little squidgy around the edges. Look at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. :rolleyes:

No Ferlian, poor Pippin is on his own for the moment, in the service of the mad steward of Gondor.

old_hobbyist
10-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Maureen, I hope your DH is okay. Sounds scary.
Ferlian asked...
what's up with you?
Simply put, no place to paint.
Converted the unheated garage/studio into a garage/woodworking shop for the winter. In short, wood doesn't care if it's cold - acrylics do.

Colleen66
10-21-2014, 03:19 PM
ColinS, I spotted your hobbit right off the bat :) I'm not familiar with The Hobbit but this little villiage looks so inviting.

LavenderFrost, Cozy fits very well. I love the lavender and the rest is just beautiful.

Thank you guys for your comments. It means so much to me :) Ferilan...Thank You !!!

Colleen

asmith38
10-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments. I am truly amazed at the talent shown here. It's humbling and makes me proud to be part of this group.

Moonstone_Vedis
10-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Colin excellent work. It has almost a mysterious feel.

Colleen I really like the work you did this time. Very peaceful piece. The eyeglasses add a nice touch!

Ann that is a fun fantasy work.

Ink I like the Bible. You captured a well worn Bible very well. I recently had a spiritual awakening and returned to church after many years of being pagan. I want to paint a picture of what I think Christ would look like but so many people have done that so well I am afraid to attempt it

Michelle I like your book also with the cup of coffee. All these books and the cool weather make me want to curl up with one and read :)

About the question “Golanv, please tell me you sat there painting for at least 59 hours. “ Yes much more than 59 hours. Lol If I can figure out how to download my phone photos in all the steps I do when I do fur I will. If not next time I will try to get pictures with my good camera as I complete each step.

Great work all!!!! :clap:
~Golanv

Mrs B
10-21-2014, 07:29 PM
OK, with just about 30mins to go I've done it and the paint is still wet!!:lol: It's a 10" X 8" canvas board.

Mine is based on a childhood book called 'Magic In The Air' by Phyllis Arkle. The book is all about weathervanes that come to life at night and have adventures. The two main characters are a dragon weathervane and a witch weathervane.
I thought that this would be an appropriate subject for the approaching Samhain/Hallowe'en this month!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2014/1962755-MITA.jpg

As this is my first attempt, please feel free to comment/critique - I have a thick skin so don't hold back - all comments welcome!! Personally, I know that I rushed the church that the witch is on, and you might find it hard to make out the little dragon weathervane on the left. I would post a detail image, but wasn't sure what the rules are on multiple images for this challenge!

Phew - I've really enjoyed this challenge and it's forced me to find the time to paint in amongst the day to day:)

asmith38
10-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Love that moon and halo, Gemma! Well done!

ColinS
10-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Gemma that really is very lovely. This is really your first painting?? Really well done.

Moonstone_Vedis
10-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Nice job Gemma

Mrs B
10-22-2014, 05:37 AM
My entry is called The Historian. A favorite book of mine. I hope my interpretation of my favorite book came across well.
8 x 10 acrylic and pen

Oh Colleen - that's such a good painting and I love the glasses! You say that it's scrylic and pen - how did you manage that? I find that acrylic is very shiny once it dries and am not sure that I'd be able to ink over the top - did you use a special pen?

Acrylic on canvasboard, 24 x 30". A view of Minas Tirith in the days before the battle from Lord of the Rings. If you look carefully, a hobbit sits in the shadows having a moment of angst as the dark clouds gather in the East. The main part of the composition is based on a photo looking up toward Budapest Castle.

Colin - I was so hoping that someone would be brave enough to tackle LOTR somewhere! Love the little hobbit and the fab sky too!

It seems like a lot of us had a difficult time this month? I wonder why. I decided to make it small, trading card size, and kind of relax with it, so it's not my usual style. Not sure how I feel about it.
3.5x2.5 inches

LavenderFrost - you should feel really proud - I am very jealous that you've managed so much detail on such a small format. I've tried a couple of trading card sizes and they are not the easy format that they appear to be! Love the shading on the cup and book.
It's definitely curling up with a book and cup of tea weather here!:)

Hi Ann and Golanv - thanks for the lovely comments!:)

Colin - it's not quite my first painting (sorry for the confusion!!) It's my first Different Strokes Challenge. :) I used to paint as a kid but stopped when life/uni/work etc got in the way, so am quite out of practice.
I recently had a difficult bereavement and returned to painting as a way of coping with the grief. It's been very theraputic and I've done a couple of paintings since it happened, but it's great having a deadline like this as having a baby is a great excuse to be too busy to paint if you let it!!!:lol: :lol:

Charlie's Mum
10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Tim - Love the sense of old leather with this - you handled it well :clap: :clap: - the gold too:) It's a very 'believable' portrayal of an old, old Bible.

(There are still Muslim sect(s) who use self-flagellation - and march through towns while doing it .... :eek:)

Golanv - very expressive - scary! Well painted .. and I hope life eases up on you very soon - we all need peaceful periods to rest and recharge.

Ann - don't know the book, have seen the Blue Mountains (Virginian part) and love that corgi - we owned one years ago and he was very dear. Like the grey curled-up cat too:)

Colleen - that's beautifully done and your writing - wow!
Love the specs and the texture of the pages. Well done!

Colin - I see the hobbit! I like the painting - solid castle! - nice sense of illustration.:)
Never could get into Lord of the Rings cycle or any such fantasy writing - I'm sure I've missed a lot!:)

Michelle - nice! Love the comfy-cosy feeling in this - good lighting and all in such a small space too!

Gemma - it's OK to post detail areas if you wish - or more than one painting!:lol:
Good sense of moonlight in this, I like how it touches the hills and just a few highlights on the dragon will bring him alive too ;)

Many thanks for your thoughts and good wishes for my husband ...... he's a lot better having got over the shock and he's to have some neurological examinations to see what can be done about his back problem - which we think causes the legs to be so weak.

Ferlian - just get well and over this cold - paint when better - your body needs the energy more than the painting!:)

Colleen66
10-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Thank you Maureen. I do hope his examination go well.

Gemma, love that witch weathervane! The whole scene has mystery to it. I wonder who's hiding in the little village when the 'vanes' come alive :) One of my first practice paintings was from a book and used pen to outline then painted with a water color feel. I really liked the sharp lines. I use Faber Castell water proof pens. When used on plain canvas they will not run, fade, or erase. When used on top of acrylic they can be removed with a bit of water and papertowel which was perfect with the hand writing for any mistakes. I also used a bit on the glazed portion. After it dries completely it will stay but I also use a fixative after it's finished and you can also use a fixative inbetween if needed. I want to get the actual Acrylic Pen and Inks but I'm still figuring out what type of pen I need and will probably have to order it on-line.

Colleen

LavenderFrost
10-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the comments. Painterly is a good word, sounds better than messy, lol. I just wasn't in the mood to be neat this time.

Gemma, that is a magical painting. Sounds like an interesting story.

chammi kaiser
10-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi Gemma. Welcome. What a fun and magical story you have illustrated. I like the painting with its 'weatherwitch! and its lovely sense of mystery. Well done.

Ferlian
10-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Sorry for disappearing so suddenly. The cold got worse overnight so I went to the doctor today and slept most of the day.

Just sayin' I'm still here. I'll comment in another post after I've looked at what has happened while I was dozing.

Ferlian

Ferlian
10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Old_hobbyist, sorry to hear you lost your painting place. I hope you'll find some other place.

Anne, I feel so tempted to read this book now.

Golanv, I really wish I could see those photos. As for pictures of christ, I think there's a lot of room for more, still.

Gem, that is such a wonderful painting! Yes, the dragon weathervane is a little hard to see but the sky and hills turned out perfect in color and atmospere. Also, you managed to lead the focus to the witch well. Glad to hear you enjoyed the challenge.

Maureen, I'm relieved to hear things are looking up.

Wow, Colleen, thanks for supplying this info. Such a lot to learn.

Charlie's Mum
10-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Ferlian - GO! REST!! GET WELL!!! Please ...... :)

Colleen66
10-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Best wishes to those that are sick and ailing. Get well soon :)

Colleen

asmith38
10-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Anne, I feel so tempted to read this book now.

Ferlian, she has written a bunch of them, different stories of course, with the same setting and same animals. They're fun and great to curl up with a cup of coffee (like Michelle painted :)).

Colin, that is so well done! Love it!

Colleen, amazing! And thank you for explaining how you did it.

I hope I didn't forget anyone. So many wonderful entries!

Maureen, crossing my fingers for your husband.

windspirit50
10-22-2014, 10:13 PM
A load of talent here. And fun! I really enjoy being part of the group. I apologize for not posting a painting this time....TIME is a four letter word in my world at the moment.
Maureen-My hopes and well wishes to you and your husband!
Golanv-Great expressions on those 2!
Ann-cute painting-I'm familiar with Rita Mae Brown
Colleen-I would have loved to have watched you to work on this painting! The glasses are a perfect addition!
Colin-I like having to look for a "hidden" or surprise person or object in a painting. The feeling is of "something is coming".
Michelle-a great feeling of the perfect reading spot. The colors and brushstrokes send a good sense of relaxation.
Gemma-welcome - I love the feeling of mystery in your painting. Yes, if the dragon was more visible, it would give the painting a good story right away.The colors are cohesive. Well done!
Ferlian-in order to be at your best, you have to take care of yourself when you are down....so.....take it easy!
Hope to be more involved in November! I have a show coming up involving 5 other members of my local critique group. It's nerve wracking! Small gallery in a small town, but well known owner and bronz sculptor. I'll let you know how it goes.

asmith38
10-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Before I forget my manners, I would like thank Ferlian for hosting such a fun challenge. Great topic!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ColinS
10-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Sorry for disappearing so suddenly. The cold got worse overnight so I went to the doctor today and slept most of the day.

Just sayin' I'm still here. I'll comment in another post after I've looked at what has happened while I was dozing.

Ferlian

Mum had given good advice! Get well. :) Thanks for hosting such a fun challenge.

Maureen hope your husband feels better. Must be very frustrating and causing not a little anxiety. I am sure you are looking after him well. ;)

old_hobbyist
10-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Gemma, so many of us turn to painting for therapy during very difficult times.
Great ptg, BTW.
Suggestion: if you want to draw the viewers' attention to the weathervanes, a very slight touch of 'bright' at a couple of prominent edges (the tip of the witches hat, the tip of the broomstick, the tip of the bottom of the weathervane) might do the job.
Caution!
Too much and it will detract from the overall thrust of the ptg.
I'd use the color you used for the bright on the edges of the conical roof. Keep the temperature the same, tho.
No bright white!
Again, just a suggestion.

old_hobbyist
10-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Maureen, I hope your DH gets the proper treatment. Back problems come from the obvious fact that man was never designed to stand erect.
Ferlian, my dad told me that the best medicine for a cold was B+B. Benedictine and Brandy. He said you just pour a generous glass full and just sip away. And when you finish that bottle, you go buy a second. After two, he said, your cold will be history. He tested this theory at least twice a month (cold or no cold) and lived into his late 80s.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ferlian
10-23-2014, 10:09 AM
Anne, I'll be sure to check them out.

Pam, I know how that feels. With a full time job and a social life 24 hours a day feel an awfully short time. Good luck with your show preparations :crossfingers:

Old_Hobbyist, your dad sure had some stamina. I'm not sure I'd live to feel the result :lol:

Maureen, Colleen and all you others, thank you for your good wishes.

Ferlian

Mrs B
10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi all, thanks so much for all the lovely comments and the great suggestions for improvement,I really appreciate it. Completely agree that I need to work on the highlights on the dragon and witch weathervanes and am going to carefully tweak them when I get a chance to add the finishing touches.
Always find those bits quite fun to do!!

Ps - thanks for hosting Ferlian and get well soon!

inkslinger69
10-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Anybody here who knew Sandra needs to go to the all media on going sketching thread, there's a post there from her son.

Charlie's Mum
10-27-2014, 11:50 AM
Tim, which forum and which Sandra?

The only All Media forum is the All Media Art Events and we don't have an on-going sketching thread there!
I went to Drawing and Sketching but couldn't find what you meant!:(

inkslinger69
10-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Sorry Maureen, its in wc galleria/ WC gallery/ all media on going sketching thread.

Imogene Thomas
10-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Inspiration is a sitcom that ran from 1960-1968.. The theme song was "The Fishin' Hole." Anyone remember? 16 x 20 Acrylic on canvas. C & C welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2014/157219-IMG_0439A.jpg

asmith38
10-27-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't know the show but this is a lovely painting!

inkslinger69
10-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Its Andy and Opey! Awesome! What a blast from the past. Great job JT!

Shirl Parker
10-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Tim, which forum and which Sandra?(
Maureen, I think he's referring to Sandra known as Gakinme. After a long struggle, she has passed away. Here is a link to her blog. (http://sandralp.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/final-gift/comment-page-1/)

Charlie's Mum
10-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Oh my - then I have known her ....... she's posted in AMAE at times.
So sad - but what a brave lady - I read the announcement in her blog earlier.
Thanks Shirl - I'll pass this on to Doug for the Garden of Memories.

PS to Ferlian - so sorry we appear to have hi-jacked this thread, but under the circumstances ......

inkslinger69
10-28-2014, 03:01 PM
I do deeply apologize to you Ferlian, for posting this in the wrong place, I didn't know what else to do and this is one of the few places I go regularly. My bad.

Ferlian
10-28-2014, 06:09 PM
JT, the guys look like they're having so much fun :clap: I'm sure it would make me smile every time I looked at it if I had it on my wall.

Maureen and Tim, no need to apologize. Please, please do not feel bad about it. I wish I had been home earlier to tell you this. Your news is important, Tim. I did not know Sandra but probably quite a few people did and should know.

Ferlian

Imogene Thomas
10-28-2014, 07:17 PM
I have so enjoyed looking at all the varied entries:
Tim - Lovely, very realistic.
Golanv - Yes, scary is a good description. Love your detail--Nice!
Ann - Blue Ridge Mountains--I know this area well! Nice.
Colleen - Very realistic. Great script .
Colin - Nice work!
Michelle - How relaxing..Nice!
Gemma - Very nice 1st painting.

Thanks, for your wonderful comments on "The Andy Griffith Show" which ran for 8 years and is still in syndication on several networks. I love those old shows.

Jenafern
10-28-2014, 10:24 PM
sorry, I'm WAY late to this party... but this is my painting homage to The Bridge Across Forever, my favorite book, written by Richard Bach (also wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull). I've been struggling with the bridge looking more like stairs (I like the song, "Stairway to Heaven," too, but not what I was going for... c'est la vie.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/jenafern/bridgeacrossforever_zpsb26f2589.jpg

Jenafern
10-28-2014, 10:53 PM
it's always so much fun to read/see these threads!

very nice inkslinger69!

I like that show, too, Moonstone_Vedis. Great painting &
VERY scary!

What a fun painting Ann! I love animals and live in the mountains of Virginia,
so this book sounds like a must read for me.

Wow, Colleen66, those glasses look so realistic! Very nice!

now reading the rest of this thread :)

LavenderFrost
10-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Nicely done JT, a little before my time but I had a feeling I knew what it was.

Jenafern, very nice. I don't know the book but this image is very uplifting, not just with the bridge but also the bright colours.

Mrs B
10-29-2014, 05:22 PM
I have so enjoyed looking at all the varied entries:
Gemma - Very nice 1st painting.

Thanks, for your wonderful comments on "The Andy Griffith Show" which ran for 8 years and is still in syndication on several networks. I love those old shows.

Hi JT, thanks so much for your kind words!:) :) I love how delicate yours is. I don't know the show at all, but it could almost be watercolour or pencil it's wonderful!

Mrs B
10-29-2014, 05:27 PM
sorry, I'm WAY late to this party... but this is my painting homage to The Bridge Across Forever, my favorite book, written by Richard Bach (also wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull). I've been struggling with the bridge looking more like stairs (I like the song, "Stairway to Heaven," too, but not what I was going for... c'est la vie.

That's fab, love the dreamy quality of it!:thumbsup:

Mrs B
10-29-2014, 05:31 PM
SO... Only a couple of days to go until the new challenge!!!:lol: :lol:

asmith38
10-29-2014, 05:41 PM
SO... Only a couple of days to go until the new challenge!!!:lol: :lol:

Oh yes, I'll be posting it on the 1st :).

old_hobbyist
10-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Again, lots of interesting takes on the theme. Sorry I couldn't join you but the frame-making machines got in the way.

asmith38
10-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Agreed. This is the first time I participate in one of these, and it was a wonderful experience! Loved the theme and seeing what everyone came up with. I hope to get as much participation in November (yes, that's a hint ;)).

Charlie's Mum
10-30-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm sure we'll be here Ann!:)

I actually managed to take a look at my studio area yesterday - and checked my palette ... may need cleaning but I'm hoping to get even closer today and maybe sort things out a bit now I have some breathing space in my life! :)

Colleen66
10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
JT, love your painting...and so recognizable (to me) as Opie and Andy :)

JenaFern, Your Bridge Across Forever has a wonderful spiritual feeling to it. Very nice.

Looking foward to the next Challenge.

Ferilan, I really enjoyed this one and I made a breakthrough during this challenge. It's the very first time that I had a vision in my head and was able to translate it to my canvas. All the details, the feelings, the composition and being able to put it on it on the canvas as I saw it in my head was the most incredible feeling. I learned how to tackle the technical parts, the perspectives, glazing on individual parts and just everything came together. It really gave me a boost of confidence knowing that I do have the potential to get whats in my head to the canvas! Thanks Again Ferilan :)

Colleen

Ferlian
10-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Colleen, that's so great to hear. Good thing November is just around the corner!

Maureen, how's it going? See you in November at the latest :cat:

So here's my one-evening-attempt. I felt bad at not having produced anything this month so decided to do a quick one. Roughly A4, all acrylic inks.
Sorry for the crappy photo quality. The light here is anything but good and I can't scan right now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2014/917622-Ferlian_DiffStro_2014-10.jpg

Ferlian

old_hobbyist
10-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Ferlian, a great rendition. What's the book?
Oh, and have you tried my dad's B+B remedy yet?

ColinS
10-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Great stuff JT. I do remember the Andy Griffith Show, though I honestly didn't like it. I preferred Gilligan's Island and the Beverley Hillbillies. :lol:

Nice painting Jenafern. Colours are very tranquil.

Well good for you,Ferlian! :thumbsup:

old_hobbyist
10-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Once again, Diff Strok folks accepted the challenge with enthusiasm and vigor and really good art! Sorry I couldn't participate but woodworking now dominates my painting area. Already looking forward to spring.

inkslinger69
10-30-2014, 11:57 PM
wicked cool painting Ferlian! The pair of eyes peering out of the book are wonderful! don't know what book it is, but the painting gets high "cool" points! He paints, He spills, He scores!! ( loud cheers in the stands... take a bow)

Colleen66
10-31-2014, 09:27 AM
That's so cool Ferilan. I think the baby of that spook in the book is hiding in the pines. I can't believe this was done in one evening...very cool and lively.

Colleen

asmith38
10-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Wow! Ferlian, that is awesome work!

LavenderFrost
10-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Wow Ferlian, that was a very productive evening! Well done!

Ferlian
10-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Old Hobbyist, the book is The incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Maryrose Wood.

I guess we're almost done with October's Different Strokes.
Thank you so much everyone for participating. YOU ALL ROCK! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also: Have a nice Halloween. :wave:

Charlie's Mum
10-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Ferlian - that actually looks suitable spooky for tonight!:lol:
It's a lovely painting - tells a story without knowing the story!

Thanks again for hosting and my apologies for not being able to join you.:)