PDA

View Full Version : Rembrandt study

Glean
09-30-2014, 04:28 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2014/1112342-MDC_7556x2.jpg

Detail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2014/1112342-MDC_7558x4.jpg

Detail

Done after Rembrandt's Anastasius of Sinai (or Anastasius Sinaita)which can be found http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Rembrandt-Kopist_001.jpg .

A study I did in my slow painful quest to figure out what it is about the old masters paintings of figures inside that just fascinate me. This one feels closer than my others, tho it is far from perfect. It dose seem to smash all my other studies into wall paper, completely stealing their thunder. Much more due to the strength of the original than my ability to render it. :)

The hat and table both seem to red to me, which I find very interesting since I didn't use any red at all. My light is still way to cool on all of my studies, I don't know if it's me or the light I'm painting under that is making it so much more difficult than it should be.

20x24inch on canvas. I would guess the original has quite a bit of glazing, but my copy is more a color/saturation study so I did it all directly. The figure from hat to bottom of the foot stool is about 6 inch tall.

Thanks for looking.
CC always welcome.

Margaret 59
09-30-2014, 05:00 AM
This looks really good to me.
The rendering of the room, thedetail on the tablecloth and the figure itself all seem well done. I can,t comment on the colours as I can,t access the website with Rembrandt,s painting due to me working on a tablet.

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2014, 07:13 AM
You've done pretty well overall, considering this was an 'all in one' study rather than a careful layering/glazing over time.
Glazing, IMO, would give you the softer look of the original, the subtler changes of tone in the lighting - but generally, I think this is a credit to you - good!

purplepansey
09-30-2014, 09:43 AM
I think you picked a good one to study and did a fine rendition of it. I agree yours does appear to have more red in it. What color is that burnt sienna? I

asmith38
09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Love it! Good job on the details. Maybe it just needs few years of patina to look just like his :D?

LavenderFrost
09-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Nice work.

jocko500
09-30-2014, 02:00 PM
very well done

Glean
09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Margaret 59; Thank you. If you would like I can email you the original that I worked from, as his is much better than mine it's kind of a shame you can't see it! Or I could look for another ref image on the net that might be tablet compatable? I only have a desk top so not sure if there is such a thing. :D

Charlie's Mum: Thanks. I do think I'm missing out with my apparent inability to use glazes. For some reason when I try glazing my colors seem to get over saturated, and swing wildly from seeming to do nothing to being much to strong. I wish I knew someone who used the method in person so it'd be easier for me to learn.

Purplepansey: Thanks. I like the original a bunch. It almost makes me want to whisper to keep the echo's from disturbing him. My pallet for this one was burnt and raw umber and sienna, yellow ocher, black and white with just the tinyest bit of ultramarine added to the black. I used the burnt sienna and the burnt umber as my red's.

asmith38: Thanks. Maybe your right on with the patina thing. I might buy a cigar and blow some smoke onto it to try and fake it. :D

LavenderFrost: Thanks.

jocko500: Thanks.

Margaret 59
09-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the offer Michael but I was just being too lazy to switch on our computer. It takes ages to warm up and I was browsing on the tablet instead. I have seen Rembrandts painting now and I still admire your version very much. Maureen (Charlie's Mum) will be able to direct you to some info. on glazing, I'm sure.

ColinS
09-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Wow I think you have done a super job with this. You should be quite pleased with this. I admire your dedication to the task of getting inside the Old Masters.

Glean
10-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Margaret59: Any time, I'm glad you can get to the original. :) Charlie's mum has pointed me to some of the glazing tutorials already. I'm one of those people who has a hard time learning without someone holding my hand and telling me "no no...like this!" I'll keep working at it, if I can keep myself from getting impatient it'll be half the battle.

ColinS: Thanks! It's kind of funny, a few years ago I found the Old Masters boring. But now I can't get enuff! I've come a long way, with much further to go. But am enjoying the journey tremendously. :)

susme48
10-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Very nicely done!

Glean
10-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks Susan. :)