PDA

View Full Version : Glazing and varnish

artbygail
09-26-2014, 10:13 PM
I have not been in this forum for a long time but this is a great place to ask a question. I paint with acrylics and am now trying to learn glazing.
My question is... after adding the glazing, letting it dry well, is it still proper to varnish the painting. Would the light from the glaze be lost?
Thank you very much.
artbygail

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Varnish should enhance the glaze, particularly if you use a gloss varnish - it can add depth to the richness of the colours and protects the surface.
Glazing is a technique of applying layers of paint rather than a 'finish'.:)

There are some acrylic painters who never varnish - it's a personal choice - though I feel work needs some protection!

asmith38
09-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Don't know if it's proper, but I use both. Often, when you glaze, your painting will end up with areas that shine more than others, and the varnish evens that up.

LHolmack
09-27-2014, 04:15 PM
I like the Krylon Kamar Varnish myself. It was pretty easy to learn how to apply it properly....I just used an 8 x 10 inch canvas board to practice a couple of times...and I really like how easy it is to apply once you learn the right technique. There are plenty of Youtube videos out there that show how to apply it properly.

artbygail
09-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Maureen,
Thank you so much for your answer, very helpful. I am just a beginner at using glazes, so much to learn.

Ann,
good information about the varnish helping fill in all the unglazed areas.

Larry,
Are you talking about using that particular varnish with a brush?

Thank you all for answering so quickly, I new if I asked my question here on
wet canvas, I would get answers from artists with knowledge.

Gail.

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Gail, if you want to know more about glazing, go to our Information Kiosk (link in my signature) and check out the Classroom threads Index - also the PALs threads - some glazing in those.:)

LHolmack
09-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Maureen,
Thank you so much for your answer, very helpful. I am just a beginner at using glazes, so much to learn.

Ann,
good information about the varnish helping fill in all the unglazed areas.

Larry,
Are you talking about using that particular varnish with a brush?

Thank you all for answering so quickly, I new if I asked my question here on
wet canvas, I would get answers from artists with knowledge.

Gail.

Gail.....the Krylon Varnish is a spray on Varnish. I take my painting out in my garage and I have a big cardboard box that I lay my painting down on and apply an even coat of the varnish evenly across the painting. I then let it dry....apply another coat. Usually I apply 3 coats. Like I said...there are lots of instructional videos on You Tube on applying it properly...which is where I got my instruction. It took me a couple of times practicing on the canvas board...and after that...I found it was easy to do. Golden also makes a gel medium that you can apply with a paint brush...they have glossy, semi-gloss and matte finish. I have used both the glossy gel medium and the spray on varnish on some of my paintings....just because I wanted to see how it looked. Those two paintings are in my wife's office at work...she decided she wanted to "buy" them!!! LOL...well...I got a new digital camera out of the deal!!

I do know that there are varnishes that can be applied with a brush...I jsut happen to use the spray on variety.

artbygail
09-28-2014, 01:46 AM
Maureen,

Thanks for the info on the wet canvas kiosk, I will have a look.

Larry,

When you said you brushed on the varnish, I had wondered what medium you used that is why I asked. I have tried the brush on gel varnish once.... but I did not make a good job, it spread my colours and found the problem to be that the paint had not dried solid. I thought brushing might be easier than spraying but, I think I will stick with the spray. A deep box like you use is a good idea.

Glad to hear that you also use the Krylon spray varnish, this is what I use as well, it does do a very good job, I also spray twice...sometimes 3. I paint the one inch depth side edges of the canvas black and spray those as well. I eventually got smart and started using the disposable gloves, the varnish does not wash off the hands. :smug:

Thank you both, I think I now have all my questions answered.
Gail