PDA

View Full Version : Box of Memories WIP Chapter 4; The Narrative Series X-Post from Contemporary

artbymdp
09-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I completed the fourth illustration in the narrative series. Each painting is acrylic on paper 18" x 24". The first piece is titled LOSING RED. The second is RED SINKS. The third is RED IS NOT ABANDONED. The fourth is HOPS STICKS WITH RED. Comments welcomed and thanks for looking.

LavenderFrost
09-26-2014, 11:51 AM
All of them are great! Really cute title and image on the fourth one.

artbymdp
09-27-2014, 08:29 PM
All of them are great! Really cute title and image on the fourth one.
Thank you for your kind comment.

Cathryn&Shep
09-27-2014, 10:25 PM
WOW! A series of 12! These are addictive! Really makes me wonder what happens at the end to "Red." Please don't leave us guessing too long.

Do you know ahead of time what each painting is going to be, or do you wait for inspiration?

My guess is that "Red" gets married and has lots of "red babies!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

GO RED!!!

vmrs
09-27-2014, 10:41 PM
I love this series, great stuff!

Nature2Canvas
09-28-2014, 05:10 AM
These are interesting and cute and we'll done.

idylbrush
09-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Very sophisticated style and carried well through the entire series so far. Really like the looks, feel and emotional content.

Charlie's Mum
09-28-2014, 04:47 PM
So interesting, each one.
I can see the 'memories' from the box but where do the settings come from?
Beautifully painted ... and I love the little character Hops!

ColinS
09-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Wonderful series. Very well executed.

artbymdp
09-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Along with the paintings I am also creating supplemental text which will accompany and guide the viewer through each piece. Briefly, the common element in each image is "RED". Red is a most cherished bead which belongs to Joey's grandpa (characters in the story). Joey's grandpa often told Joey, "Each bead is like a memory. When you string them together they create a lifetime" Unfortunately, Joey lost the red bead while playing by the water. Hops is convinced he can find life within RED.

purplepansey
09-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Good title, love the paintings to go with it.

Lady Carol
09-29-2014, 02:35 PM
awesome work. Very interesting concept.

old_hobbyist
09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Does anyone remember Red Lantern, the Guiding Light in the Land of the Lost?

artbymdp
10-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Does anyone remember Red Lantern, the Guiding Light in the Land of the Lost?
Just viewed the 1950 animation on line. Just curious as to what brought this to mind for you.

Ferlian
10-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Oh I love this concept! Great playful atmosphere, shapes and textures.

Ferlian

artbymdp
10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
So interesting, each one.
I can see the 'memories' from the box but where do the settings come from?
Beautifully painted ... and I love the little character Hops!
Thank you for the comment. All settings shown in the paintings are based on sketches mainly from my imagination. It is not uncommon for me to change the settings a few times as I am painting the pieces.

chammi kaiser
10-07-2014, 05:45 AM
Wonderful, magical work. Love them all.

artbymdp
10-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Wonderful, magical work. Love them all.
Hey Chammi, A long while back you and another artist described my painting as "magical". I never heard that reference for my artwork. I took this as an enormous compliment but was not quite sure what achieves that feeling consistently. Since then I strive to create in each piece a sense of surprise and whimsy while making the worlds I design believable. Thanks Chammi again for your inspiring words and thank you all who have taken the time to comment on my work.

Priti
10-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Very cute, they could be in a children's storybook.

artbymdp
10-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Very cute, they could be in a children's storybook.
Hey Priti, Thanks. The narrative is based on a story I created for a series of sculpted panels commissioned by the Medford Library in Massachusetts. The children and parents really enjoy the sculpted story artwork. It was their reaction that prompted me to elaborate on the work with a series of paintings.

LavenderFrost
10-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Will you be putting them in a book?

artbymdp
10-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Will you be putting them in a book?
Thanks for asking. Once the full narrative series is completed I will be submitting to agents (groan) for consideration. It is a discouraging process in a highly competitive business. If anyone out there has tried, you will discover that the new rejection is no response at all. I haven't had any luck with two previous projects but as the saying goes "If you are determined to be heard, the squeaky wheel eventually gets tired", or something like that.

LavenderFrost
10-09-2014, 01:05 PM
There's always self publishing, like blurb.com. That's probably the way I will go when, and if, I finish an illustrated book I'm working on. I bought a book from there once by Lucy Dickens (Soul Expressions) and it's very nice.

lrv
10-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Terrific work.:thumbsup:

artbymdp
10-31-2014, 11:56 AM
There's always self publishing, like blurb.com. That's probably the way I will go when, and if, I finish an illustrated book I'm working on. I bought a book from there once by Lucy Dickens (Soul Expressions) and it's very nice.
Thanks for the suggestion. In my opinion "self publishing" is basically "self printing". I do what I do because I love to do it. If an actual publisher, with the resources to promote the narrative, never accepts the work, then so be it. I still created the artwork and that is what matters. In some respect, self publishing is like buying a trophy. Sorry.

cem
10-31-2014, 12:10 PM
All so very well painted. I'm anxious to see them once all are completed.