PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Portrait

Holley
10-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Also sent to the Portraiture Forum ...

I just recently finished another portrait in oil pastels. Once again I have used my basic palette. My photo reference for this one was rather blury ... the things we do for friends hey! On canson paper 11 x 15 inch (in loving memory)
- Holley

Luvy
10-01-2003, 09:09 AM
Since I'm new to op I can't comment on that LOL I'm horrible so far. Love the portrait maybe a little light for me, but that could be the photo. There's something on his temple though that bothers me. Is it a shadow? Otherwise this is really good. Maybe a little darker shadows. But then I'm terrible with shadows.

Dyin
10-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi, Holley...can you tell us more about which brand you use and how you apply them? And would love to see a close up detail of some part of this...

Adrienne
10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
I noticed your comment "in loving memory" and feel sure that this man would be pleased and grateful for your portrayal. Was this your father or grandfather? You mentioned though that you are doing it for a friend?

Anyway, thank you for sharing this meaningful image with us. The only thing I'm wondering about is maybe a complimentary color in the shadows; looks a tiny bit red cast. I'm new here and unfamiliar with your style and palette, so please forgive if my comment is off-base.

Greeble
10-01-2003, 01:32 PM
This looks really good (what the other said about darker shadows would improve it a smidge)

I am sure your friend will love it as is.

Jen