PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Book for Intermediate Leaner: Acrylic Painting

creativechrissy
09-20-2014, 03:05 AM
There are many books out there aimed at the beginner (painter) which all touch on colour wheel, perspective, composition, and specifically looks demonstrating the types techniques rather than how to apply them etc...I seeking any books you recommend for the intermediate level painter, which go more into step-by-step/process/demonstration on how to use techniques and specifically show you the steps i e.g how to paint an ocean wave, how to paint a rock, how to paint a silver object etc etc.

idylbrush
09-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Have you considered the books and DVD's by Jerry Yarnell? Many folks seem to like his teaching techniques.

Charlie's Mum
09-20-2014, 08:54 AM
May I also point you to our Information Kiosk here? There's a link in my signature.
You will find there, Classroom threads doing precisely these things - also the PALs (Paint-a Longs) and one of those is painting a wave! Another is how to do soft and hard (lost and found) edges. the current PAL ( a sticky on the forum page ) is painting glass and metal - the glass part, (metal is part 2 and not out yet!;)).

Davkin
09-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Acrylics do seem to lack in quantity and quality of "Step by step" type instruction books and DVD's compared to oils, I don't know why. Idylbrush mentions the one I feel is the best, Jerry Yarnell, both his DVDs' and books are good.....if you like his style of painting, if not you are kind of stuck. My favorite acrylic artist is John Hammond and his book, "Capturing Light in Acrylics" has a few step by steps in it but they don't go into great depth. It wasn't until I bought his video that I began to understand his technique.

David

ColinS
09-20-2014, 12:47 PM
A book I have found very helpful at my stage has been Bob Rohm's The Painterly Approach. It does not deal with acrylic painting exclusively, but there is much good step by step information and conceptual information that I have found useful.

And I echo the suggestion from Maureen regarding the Paint A Long and Classroom threads on this site. There are some really excellent demonstrations and exercises to explore. I worked through the Classroom on Trees and Foliage and found it very helpful to me. But I also learned a great deal from the Paint A Longs on Making Waves, Lost and Found Edges, and the current ongoing PAL on Glass and Metal.

kidderliverpool
09-20-2014, 03:51 PM
I've found the free videos online by Will Kemp useful:
https://www.youtube.com/user/willkempartschool

brusher
09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Chrissy, it is true there are not too many acrylic books out there which can be as instructional as we would like. It is a medium that just takes a lot of getting used to.

Lots of good advice above, and the Hammond book is excellent, as Davkin mentioned above.

As far as how to paint an ocean wave, how to paint a rock, how to paint a silver object etc. - the problems and solutions are very much the same all across the board, no matter the medium. You can look at tutorials in another medium, and apply those principles to your work in acrylics. Since I use acrylics sometimes like watercolor, sometimes like oils, or in the process, sometimes as both - I get a lot of help from watercolor instruction or oils instruction - It's all about noticing the light source, doing an underpainting, building up your tones and color, etc.

If you look at tutorials on different textures, which sounds like what you are looking for, that might help.

Definitely if you see an oils demonstration on how to do "silver", you can translate that easily to acrylics; the principles of light & dark, contrast, edges are the same.

Hope this helps.
Cathy

brusher
09-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Having said all that, I did forget about one excellent book: Painting Realist Wildlife in Acrylics, by William Silvers. He is a former Disney artist and the book came out in 2009. You can take a look online and see if it might be of help to you.

Cathy

asmith38
09-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Some good advice here. Kemp is very good. I'm working on a Wylan, using his book.