PDA

View Full Version : Seascape C&C appreciate before i redo this this evening xpost seascape

Sarah Edgecumbe
09-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Hi guys,

I have never painted a seascape before in any medium. Just after some C&C on this little piece. It is a "quick sketch" and i plan on repainting it a little more carefully.

it is 8x10 inches Acrylic on canvas board.

I originally wasn't sure about the composition, as the horizon appears to be quite central

As for the rest, I have since had a bit of a look up on "wave construction" but this was a small piece and i found it difficult to put them in.

I would also like to "de-saturate" a few of the colours closer to the coast and ground the rocks a bit more ??

The colors i used where: Pthalo blue, Green gold, white, raw umber, and a touch of naples yellow and transparent red oxide for the sand.

Further advice on MUST HAVE colours for painting ocean would be appreciated.

anyway some C&C appreciated before i redo this little piece this evening.

We had such a fabulous day at the beach. It was the first time we took the little baby to the beach. I had just enough time to snap off a few photos for painting. If anyone wants to see all the wonderful seascape photos they are on my FB page i won't post them here.

Australia is such a beautiful country :-)

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2014/981038-012bd71ca49dfdf60c272ee636bb2ff8cd8f675a86.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2014/981038-_MGP7019_2.JPG

asmith38
09-19-2014, 07:30 PM
That is beautiful! I like the little additions you made.

steveoreno
09-19-2014, 08:16 PM
Looks nice

opainter
09-20-2014, 12:25 AM
That is quite good. Your first seascape, oh really?! :lol: I think I'll have to start taking classes from you!

As to what colors are essential for seascapes, consider Naples Yellow for beaches, and turquoise for the water. A lot of seascape painters do use turquoise. On the other hand, painters who don't regularly paint seascapes, or who paint waters that are not turquoise in hue, find that turquoise is their least-used color. A compromise approach is to use a lighter blue, for example either Cerulean Blue or Manganese Blue, for your mixes. Both of these colors often come in handy in painting skies, which of course often appear in landscapes (!) as well as seascapes. Incidentally, you painted both sea and sky very nicely without any special turquoise or blue. And you also painted the beach very nicely without Naples Yellow. So neither are absolutely necessary.

Hope this helps. You might want to post this question in the color forum as well to see what responses you get there.

Charlie's Mum
09-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Try looking at some of the work of Paul Bennett paznbaz (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=979439) (member and poster in this forum) - also check out the PALs (Paint -a-Longs) in the Information Kiosk - they might help - link in my signature.

Wassie
09-20-2014, 12:02 PM
I don't see any more to be done. I like it better than the photo.

Sarah Edgecumbe
09-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone,

AJ i have heard the turquoise is useful. It is one of my favorite colours, not that i have ever painted with it. I might give it a go. As for the Naples, i did use a touch of naples in the sand :-) i love Naples yellow. thanks for your suggestions :-) Much appreciated.

Maureen, thanks for the link to Paul Bennett, He even paints near me. Just seen one of his paintings where we got our engagement photos taken at Shorncliffe. I'm having a look in the PAL's at the moment. Very helpful. Thank you.

Thanks Wassie, that is lovely to say.

Regards

Sarah

Sarah Edgecumbe
09-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Maureen,

I am doing that Paint along at the moment Very helpful. Thank you. I have never had to consider wave construction before.

Sarah

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Glad if it helps Sarah ........ I realised earlier that I hadn't commented on your study!
It's a lovely, fresh piece (studies often are) and for it's size I think it captures the essence of the subject, so wouldn't alter it!:)

Sarah Edgecumbe
09-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Hi Maureen,

Yes it has helped heaps. I have done the wave study on the PAL. It was really helpful. It looks good. (bad photo in the night time light so i will post tomorrow.)

great Paint a long. thanks so much.

Thanks for the comments on the study. I can certainly use the PAL ideas in a bigger one/redo.

Have a great day all. It is getting late here now, baby in bed, still have all the dishes to do though, so if i get on with them i might be able to paint as well.

thanks

Sarah

Sarah Edgecumbe
09-21-2014, 06:26 PM
here is the painting. Not happy with the front/crash part of the wave. But I'm not doing any more on it.

I also would like to have made the background "cooler"

i changed it just a little...

;-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2014/981038-01c769414307c90f97d42fd3fe1b71c94b796a868d.jpg