PDA

View Full Version : Painting Glass (Demo)

Galina Zastava
08-29-2014, 10:13 AM
This is a few of my thoughts how to paint glass. If you have any additions / corrections / comments, I will be glad if you share them.
I also apologize for my English.

Glass is transparent so it seems logical to paint a background first, and then on top of it the glass. (although it can be done differently. I'll show it later). However, it must be remembered that the glass is always refracts / reflects light, and the background behind it is not uniformly homogeneous. It will be converted by the glass.

As an example, Iíll show how I painted a small glass vase. Here you can see that, although I did not paint the glass at once, but prepared the background, taking into account the fact that I need to put my vase on this place.

Next I would like to show you the most important moments in the painting of the glass.
1. Donít outline the whole glass object. Try to "lose", negate part of the lines. It will look more natural.
2. Typically, the glass (and water) refract the objects located therein. Try to paint the refraction as accurately as possible. This will give more realism.

Galina Zastava
08-29-2014, 10:16 AM
3 .When painting highlights, one can use different methods. In this case I applied a dab of paint on the edge of the handle, and then with a soft brush lightly spread it from the edge. In addition, I used a bit of a soft touch of a light beige color. This added transparency effect.
4 In general, when painting highlights you need to be very careful. They vary greatly in shape, brightness and color. Particular attention should be paid to the edges of the highlights. Some have very sharp edges, others can be fuzzy. In this case for the effect of blur, I used a brush harder than in Section 3. This allowed me to get the effect of thin lines on the edge of a large highlight and above it. Highlight on the neck of the vase has a clear edge, so it was done in one motion, without any smearing.

5 The highlight colour is very important. I used shades of green, light brown, purple, grey-blue.
6 The colours of the background behind the glass are very important too. I used a lot of shades. And it gives both realism and painterly.

7 It is important not to forget that the glass and its environment interact actively. There will always be glare, sunbeams, reflections, etc. Therefore it is also important to pay attention to the brightness, color, shape, and blurriness / sharpness of the edges of these forms.

Galina Zastava
08-29-2014, 10:23 AM
When I painted mandarins in a transparent bowl, I went a slightly different way. Even though I painted a background in advance, but I painted a bowl and tangerines at the same time creating the glass effects simultaneously. In this case, I paid attention to the following points.

1 Leaf reflected in the glass and it had to be shown. I used the leaf color, but made it paler. Highlights on mandarins, passing through thick edge bowls were distorted, as if were stretched. I tried to show it. By the way, it is clear on this picture that the bowl edge turned out not very accurate. I corrected it later. Fortunately, the oil allows it.

2 You can see on this picture that to paint the glass I used shades of different colors. Also, pay attention to the highlight on a mandarin, part of which is visible at the mandarin, and part is refracted through the edge of the bowl (that I described in the first paragraph). The difference in their shape allows to achieve realistic effect.

3 Mandarins reflected from the inner surface of the bowl.
4 I waited till mandarins were dry. Then I worked across the surface with a pale lilac color, showing attrition / turbidity of the old glass.

5 Small glass bowl legs refracted light and reflected in the surface of the table. Each one of them did it in different way. You can see it here. Moreover, note that in the right leg was used faint shade of yellow.

Galina Zastava
08-29-2014, 10:28 AM
All this applies not only to glass but also to any other transparent objects. All the above principles I applied when drawing transparent package with peppers. Iíll show a several stages. Pay attention to the color, shape, highlights edges,the background, which is visible through the package, the reflections on the package.

Galina Zastava
08-29-2014, 10:33 AM
In the case of colored glass I acted differently.

1 I painted the background, then I tried to paint a bottle in color in one go. But I did not succeed. Most likely I donít have enough experience with oil. So I use a multilayer painting technique. I painted the bottle in black and white, as if creating a "dead" layer.

2 I painted the first color glaze.
3 I reinforced the brightest places by working on top of the colour layer with white.
4 I intensified the colours with the second glaze.

Galina Zastava
08-29-2014, 10:39 AM
5 Very carefully I created little highlights. It is very important not to overdo it. A few small patches of light will produce a much greater effect.

That's all for now today, I can tell you about the glass. I would be very happy if my thoughts are helpful to someone.

AllisonR
08-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting such great details and examples. Very interesting. I think glass is one of the hardest things to get looking correct, for all the reasons you mentioned.

billmahler
08-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Awesome demos!
Thank you for posting them

idcrisis55
08-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed the demos and your work. Thank you!

*Deirdre*
08-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Galina....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You know what I'm going to ask next, don't you?:evil: :lol: Please may I copy this one to our Hall of Fame?
I'll leave it out here for a while first though, so if members want to ask questions they can.

Galina Zastava
08-31-2014, 06:56 AM
AllisonR, billmahler, idcrisis55, *Deirdre*, thank you! I do hope it was useful.
*Deirdre*, :) :) Yes, of course! Thank you so much!