PDA

View Full Version : That fork in the road!??

Kookie
09-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Hello Artists!

It's been a while since I posted or visited sadly. Life has a funny way of sidetracking us frequently!

It's great to see all the changes and updates at Wetcanvas, and of COURSE to check out all the work! I get so much inspiration from all of you!

This last year has been a wonder for me artwise. Most of the time I tend to be sporadic at art, producing only a couple of pieces a year, but I've had a dramatic personal life for about three years now, I've lost family, jobs, went to school, lost more family and it's accumulated over the last year in the single most prolific art year of my entire life!

I started out just illustrating pictures for my husband, for our anniverary of stories he told me over the years, and wound up where I am now...selling for the first time of my life, creating work that I love and find peace in! I have created 18 notable paintings to sell, reproduce...I have created countless small drawings, journal pages, AND commissions no less!

A major major turning point to say the least!

Anyway, bragging...yes...a bit....but more, I feel like a damn stubborn woman that it took SOOOOO much to get me to shift the mentality and become the "artist" I always wanted to be. But surely it can't ALWAYS be that hard, right?

What did it take you???

Lara

(Here are a few of the paintings I've completed this last year)

idylbrush
09-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Very distinctive and unique style that is most appealing and lots of fun. I can see a very good illustrative style for children's books. Very nicely done.

Kookie
09-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Thank you! :clap:

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2014, 04:31 PM
You have a unique vision so cultivate it!
Well done with these, they're absolutely charming.

Kookie
09-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks Maureen! I realized I hadn't mentioned, and after going and looking at all the other posts around here, most of you do, what size or medium they are!

Three are 22"x28", one is 18"x24" and the last is 11"x14", they are all acrylic ink on arches 140lb or 300lb cold press paper....

I appreciate the comments on the work, (as always, who doesn't! ;)), but I am also very interested in what your own personal "Forks in the Road" were?

cem
09-16-2014, 05:13 PM
I agree with Howard and Maureen. Nicely done!

Kookie
09-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Thank you!

asmith38
09-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Those are lovely! Very clean style! As someone else said, they'd be ideal for children's books.

As for forks in life, I'm still looking for the right one. Big problem is to have too many interests and not one that stands out.

ColinS
09-17-2014, 01:26 AM
They make me think of St-Exupéry's Little Prince. :) I like them very much.

What did it take me to start painting? Like you I started painting for my better half - a reproduction of Monet's Water Lilies.

Wassie
09-17-2014, 01:32 AM
I like these. They bring out the child in me.:clap:

chammi kaiser
09-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Lara, sincere congratulations on your successful year. These illustrations are absolutely charming and creative. You have a distinctive style which is most refreshing.

PattiLou
09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Agree with Chammi and I really like all of them.

I have not found my fork in the road yet. I start a painting thinking I will do it one way and end up doing the same thing as always. So.... how did you discover what you wanted to do? What made you change? I'm very curious. :lol:

Dcam
09-17-2014, 10:09 AM
You have a refreshing style: I like these a lot.
Derek

Ladysue
09-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Fantastic! :clap: Really enjoyed the calm that resonates from these.

As for the fork on the road, well, let's just say I am on the road which is already a step. :rolleyes:

I come from a family of creative yet «realistic» people who thought art was a good hobby and means of expression but not something to put food on the table.:( So we all have a creative out of the box approach to what we do but are all in very common everyday job.

All this to say, I got my first oil paint set in high school, then got busy in university with a part-time job which became full time. Then later, I had a more difficult time in life and came to realize I no longer remembered who I was outside the job.:eek: So I started painting again.:smug:

I was fortunate enough to find a supportive spouse and we took a couple of acrylic classes together.

Later, I wanted more formal training, but thought that was impossible. A motivational speaker (I don't usually go to these things, but it was at work) He said, If you think something is impossible, prove it! So I spoke to my boss about getting 1 unpaid day off per week, And to my surprise, she said yes. Then I spoke to my husband about the reduction in income, and incredibly, he said yes. :)

I got my second child during my studies, after 6 classes, I had to quit because having 2 kids was too demanding. But, I kept drawing sporadically.

And I lost a job and found another, and this new context gave me more alone time at lunch and on the bus. So now, I draw everyday, and have noticeable progression, but I miss painting. Also, I think I need more formal training again for portraiture... But It'll have to wait.

I had a plan, a dream, of having a gallery show by the time I was 40. That's next week. Unfortunately, I'll have to extend the deadline. :crossfingers:

I talk too much! Hope this was not too boring.

chammi kaiser
09-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Not at all boring. Thank you for sharing a little of your life. I wish you lots of success. Keep enjoying the process. You have lots of talent.

LavenderFrost
09-17-2014, 12:41 PM
These are wonderful!

And I love the quote in your signature.

Kookie
09-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Hi Guys!

Ladysue, not boring at all! Thank you for sharing your story! very very much. And to all the rest of you for commenting too!

It's really refreshing to me, to run into people who like to talk. Lately, I've noticed that too many people stay private and our stories are inspirational to some people, I think it's important to share that!

Pattilou: How did I know what I wanted to do? I didn't. Entirely. I thought about doing the "responsible" job thing a lot in life and making art a hobby...but one day i was sitting in the job I'd just been let go of, I had another week or so. I HATED that job. HATED HATED HATED it...my boss was more than a little crazy and had made my life hell there, and I was MISERABLE. More than words can say. I was making a resume, to hand out to other similar jobs and I burst into tears. I just couldn't do it. So I tried my hand in school...became a makeup artist. (It's fun...but it doesn't pay great...) During school, which was a 10 month program, I found out my Dad had cancer, terminal, and he died before I finished the program..9 months and 9 days he lasted. He died 28 days after my Grandma died, from a stroke. His Mom. So I lost an entire side of my family in less than a month, and still had to finish exams etc...

When he was near his end, (my dad), I asked him what advice he would tell someone, what he'd like to pass on...and he said, "LIVE NOW", the money saved, the retirements, pensions etc...can't be guaranteed...you need to live for these precious moments you have on hand right now.

Something clicked I guess. I just KNEW this "hobby" of mine, which calmed me, gave me peace, made me happy, HAD to be my path. It just had to be, and since coming to those conclusions...bam...the doors swung wiiiiide open!

and here I am today....

couldn't be happier, despite the unfortunate circumstances that caused it. But I guess some of us are harder learners!

L.

WaltWally
09-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Thanks for starting this thread! It comes just in time to keep me from throwing in the towel!

Since you asked, here's my story...

A FAVORITE CHILDHOOD MEMORY
THAT WAS A TURNING POINT IN MY LIFE

There was not a lot I liked about grammar school, back in the '40's and the '50's.

Being left-handed, I felt different from the other kids, and being among the younger students for my grade, I was smallish.

I also had no skill at sports. At recess, I would hang out with the other misfits, so naturally, we were picked on by the ‘regular kids’.

One thing I did like was the poster club. It was an opportunity to 'do art' without incurring the wrath of a teacher, who objected to my doodling in the margins of my books! (flashback of my English teacher, explaining the difference bewteen 'good' and 'well', plucking the pencil from my hand, saying to the class, "He draws well, but at the wrong time!")

The poster club introduced me to some of the special equipment 'real artists' used, such as Speedball pens, which came in different shapes and widths, allowing one to make bold letters with a single stroke! Also, different color inks!

I remember making a poster, at the request of the teacher monitoring the class, encouraging students to pick up Coke bottles that had been left lying around. I used a green ink with those special pens to depict the green glass of a coke bottle, gave it a feminine face with long eye-lashes, and lettering that said “PUH-LEASE PICK ME UP!”

It was tacked up on the wall of the school auditorium.

I was now a published artist!!!

Definitely a turning point in my life, since I went on to a checkered career doing animated cartoons, charts, graphs, playground signs, drafting, model building, desktop publishing, advertising art, portraits and artwork for the Apollo Manned Lunar Landing Project at the Michoud Plant in New Orleans East during the sixties.

I don’t know how long the poster was on display at St. Rose De Lima grammar school, but I suspect it was taken down because of the 'creative' spelling of “Please”.

Then again, it may have been removed because a teacher, or even the Principal, had decided the phrase “Pick Me Up’ emanating from a sultry Coke bottle, was just a bit too suggestive to be in a Catholic School in the 1950’s!

Kookie
09-18-2014, 02:22 AM
What a fabulous story!! Really! I love that your turning point came so early on for you, and with such success!

Very appreciated!

susme48
09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Nice!

Kookie
09-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Thanks Susan!
:thumbsup: