PDA

View Full Version : A Time For Refection xp Landscapes

Barb'sArt
09-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Hello All!

So nice to be painting again after almost a year of not, due to medical/life issues.
While most of my subject matter to date has been in pet portraiture, I'm changing my direction a bit, to include more landscapes.
I had previously posted this in landscapes, but hope to get a bit more input.
I'm struggling with this one at the moment as I'm trying to work on my sense of light(not something I've practiced alot of with typical "head only" pet portraiture.
In this 16 x 20 acrylic, on canvas, I wanted the light to come from behind the bench, hitting the far shoreline. My hope was to draw the viewer's eye from the bench, across the shore, then to the right side foreground branches, and back to the bench. However, I don't believe I have accomplished that at all:confused: .
I know that "normally", the midground would be less strong in value, and lesser in detail than the foreground...but to highlight the area where the sun is hitting it, I strengthened the detail.
Any tips to make this painting read better is much appreciated!
As always, all CC's welcomed!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2014/190936-A_Time_for_reflection_final_sm.jpg

Barb'sArt
09-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Here's a slightly better picture, darkened it a bit. I have the hardest time trying to get a good pic of this painting, still not the best...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2014/190936-A_Time_for_reflection_final_sm_darkened.jpg

chammi kaiser
09-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Seems we are both into reflective mode Barb. Lovely soft painting.

Barb'sArt
09-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Seems we are both into reflective mode Barb. Lovely soft painting.

Yes, Chammi, I certainly am. I'd become quite bored with Pet commissions(I know some will say that is horrid), but I Want to do/paint something other than pets for awhile. I have found my work in Pet Portraiture was becoming too tight, too much like work, lol. So, I now want to explore other subjects and possibly a looser style.
This scene is from a nearby park I visit often, when I need some quiet time, to reflect on where I am, what I'm doing and where I want to go.
Thanks for your lovely comment, and so nice to "see" you again!:)

Charlie's Mum
09-14-2014, 01:39 PM
It's looking pretty good Barb ....... the second is better because it shows the contrasts more. Overall, it's a serene and pretty piece.
I think you could even strengthen then - if you made the dark r/h background even darker, and the front branches in the fore/g even lighter you should increase the sense of depth and distance.
If those f/g branches are closer than the tree on the left, you could see larger detail - again bringing it toward the viewer.
That might also allow you to brighten the far middle shore, where I think you want a focal point? .. like a bright beam of sun catching points there?
Darken the b/g trees on the left to thrust the golden tree forward.

Barb'sArt
09-14-2014, 01:53 PM
It's looking pretty good Barb ....... the second is better because it shows the contrasts more. Overall, it's a serene and pretty piece.
I think you could even strengthen then - if you made the dark r/h background even darker, and the front branches in the fore/g even lighter you should increase the sense of depth and distance.
If those f/g branches are closer than the tree on the left, you could see larger detail - again bringing it toward the viewer.
That might also allow you to brighten the far middle shore, where I think you want a focal point? .. like a bright beam of sun catching points there?
Darken the b/g trees on the left to thrust the golden tree forward.

Thanks so much for those tips Maureen! I'll definitely try that!

susme48
09-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Just lovely!! I think if you follow Maureen suggestions, and really emphasize the darks and lights, you will be amazed!! :)

ColinS
09-15-2014, 01:22 AM
Nice panting. Some good tips from Maureen to help you too.

cem
09-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Excellent advice given. Looks like a great spot to sit and relax.

LavenderFrost
09-15-2014, 11:21 AM
We all need a change sometimes. This is lovely. When painting trees is it especially important to remember how acrylics darken. Paints the bright areas brighter than you think it should be and often when it dries it is just right.

asmith38
09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Beautiful! Makes me want to sit with a good book :)