PDA

View Full Version : From one struggling artist to another. . .

Carlanna
09-30-2003, 10:09 PM
OK guys,

this is for the sole benefit of other self-taught, still learning, flying by the seat of the pants artists like me . . . the rest of you are allowed a smirk and a giggle . . . but be nice!

The birth of a new painting.

Firstly, choice of paper colour . . . depending on what's in the cupboard and what my gut says.

Next I lay down the basic local colours and stand back to have a good look and a bit of a think. Usually at this stage my thoughts go something like . . . . this will never work . . . . what am I doing here . . . wish I'd gone to art school . . . etc etc

So this is what it looks like at this stage

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/26069-sunset.jpg

Bit of a mess, but we'll see what happens.

Dyin
09-30-2003, 10:17 PM
oooooh!!! I know the ending to this one!!!!! I know you'll do it justice, Carla...but you forgot...what WAS the paper you chose???? Sitting back and watching...and I better not hear any smirks and giggles out there! Good job so far, Carla! :clap:

CarlyHardy
09-30-2003, 10:18 PM
1. Love the choice of background color! It's one of my favorites, too.
2. Wonderful abstract sense of a sunset!
3. Good balance of light and darks...

Waiting for more!
carly

Mz_Sketch_Pad
09-30-2003, 11:42 PM
as a fellow struggling self- taught artist.. i want to say, this piece is going just fine. i bet it'll be beautiful.

Carlanna
09-30-2003, 11:42 PM
orange (gulp!!) background 24 x 18in

added more colour

started blending like coloured areas

stand back and think maybe I should be doing the laundry

well . . . . here 'tis so far . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/26069-sunset-2.jpg

don't expect anything but lurid :D

better keep going . . .

Oh . . . and thanks to my cheer squad ;)

Dyin
09-30-2003, 11:55 PM
You're getting it...looking better and better...good call on the mountain in the distance so far and like that you left color in the foreground hills...and that you have some color working in the light area...teehee, this is FUN watching!

Carlanna
10-01-2003, 12:28 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2003/26069-sunset-3.jpg

I'm done with the blending . . .

Now for the hard part . . . . the layers of colour . . . . this is going to take much longer . . . must remember to keep breathing . . . might put on some music . . . . usually helps.

Didn't realise it would be this hard with you all watching!!!

Don't care if not exact replica of ref pic, if i like what's happening I thank my lucky stars and leave it . . . . otherwise . . . gulp . . . .can't really trash it now can I??

Sue & Carly, thank you.

Dyin
10-01-2003, 01:01 AM
oooh, this is so fun...don't let us bother you....you're doing great! heck, you couldn't do it just exactly without it feeling horridly stiff...you're getting the feel! ok...pretend we're not watching...
(.) (.) :eek: :p

Greeble
10-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Were not here. You haven't seen us.

But.. the picture is shaping up to look beautiful :D

Jen

blissfullyunaware
10-01-2003, 08:14 AM
hmmm.... sneaking a peak.... looks wonderful .... brights & darks... very interesting.... sneaking away... hope she didn't see me :D .... this is going to be great ... gotta come back ...

Sharon

Carlanna
10-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Almost there . . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2003/26069-sunset-4.jpg

however, to me, the sky looks too bitsy, the clouds need to be softened somewhat and I think the orange needs to be toned down a little, and the break in the clouds would look better a little more on an abngle . . . . yeah???

any comments welcome . . . please!!

Dyin
10-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Hey Carla, it's coming along! I think if you forgot the ref and just go with your instincts now that it will come together...the clouds that are closer to the viewer definately need some fluffing and you could wisp a little cloud in to soften up that straight angle of the break. The orange is the real color that sky was and it's exciting but maybe if you darkened some areas of the band closest to the light sky it would give more drama to the big closer orange areas...the mountain needs a touch of something so it doesn't just sit there looking seperate from the rest of the scene...don't give up, you're way past the point I could go with this!

Carlanna
10-02-2003, 09:40 PM
This really seemed like a good idea at the time . . . . . turned out much harder than expected . . . . think it's finished now unless someone points out a glaring :D mistake that will need fixing . . . . which, by the way, you are very welcome to do.

Must really try to resist the temptation to fiddle . . . . could go on forever . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2003/26069-sunset-5.jpg

thanks all for helping me along :D

Dyin
10-02-2003, 09:44 PM
:eek: what a glorious sky!!! I feel just like I did when I rushed in to get the camera...great, gobsmacking job!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
PS...Chopper recognised it as he walked by!!!! He NEVER comments at what he sees on the screen...but it caught his eye!!!

Carlanna
10-02-2003, 09:58 PM
:D :D :D

No kidding!!!! . . . . gee Sue, that made me feel REAL good . . . THANKS!!!

Meisie
10-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Here I was staring at that gorgeous sky and then my eye took the little light colored road down to the light area, and there a lovely surprise of mountains at the bottom!
I love it!!!
Meisie

Dyin
10-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Carla...that does look like a road...and this is the weird part...it doesn't show that way in the ref, but there IS a road there...it winds back almost a mile to an old abandoned homestead with a windmill cattle watering tank that was about a 1/2 mile behind our place..the coyotes used to stand there silhouetted by the sunset or the western moon. So, intended or not, you put something that was not there in the ref that really was there...chillbumps!!!

Carlanna
10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Thank you Meisie, glad you enjoyed it!:)