PDA

View Full Version : Lucky day at the flea market

nkoconnell
09-14-2014, 12:13 AM
No kidding... the very last table at our local historical society flea market today had a bunch of well loved paintbrushes in a vase. I bought the lot for $20 and mentioned that I usually paint in pastel. The man told me to wait, and retrieved a full wooden box set of Rembrandts, which he sold to me for $40 and the promise of a small painting by mail.

He knew what they were worth. I will be sending him a painting :)

And in the twenty or so paintbrushes? Two W&N series 7 sables... a 7 and a 4.

robertsloan2
09-14-2014, 01:00 AM
Oh wow! Oh this is some kind of prize all right! Definitely send him a good painting for it. That's so beautiful. You lucked on the brushes too! That's incredible. Go you!

That is so awesome! Lovely color range and a great wood box too. Time to spread out and paint and have a lot of fun!

julieindvik
09-14-2014, 02:12 AM
That's a score!

Blayne
09-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Three trays, 180 Rembrandts? For $40? Wow! And those paintbrushes sound like a real find, too. Lucky you!

getdusty
09-14-2014, 10:51 AM
It certainly was a lucky day. Great find, Nancy!

robertsloan2
09-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Curious about the brush vase now too - was it the pretty white Winsor & Newton one they keep using in the ads, sort of ginger-jar shaped with the name on? I always thought that was very cool in itself but never saw it available anywhere.

Definitely do this dealer's painting of something awesome with the Rembrandts, that's just too cool for words.

SAS Designs
09-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Lovely. And I think the key is "well loved"- enjoy. Thanks for sharing an experience of such good will. Much needed these days :) Suzy

Still-trying
09-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Nancy...what a nice find. Enjoy your lucky treasure. And paint something lovely.

Jay

nkoconnell
09-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks all. No, Robert, it wasn't one of those cool brush pots... just a small flower vase. I'm happy to have the Rembrandts because I like the harder pastels for my little studies... they're a little neater for painting in the car.

robertsloan2
09-15-2014, 03:14 PM
They do have a perfect texture for that. Just tried my half sticks at home and they are very good for that, have a good precision but still soft enough for layering and stick blending.

Turpintine45
09-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Oh boy what a lucky break. I bet he kept those Rembrandts under the table until someone who knew their value came along, and he knew they would get well used. He definitely deserves your best effort.

pastel65
09-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Wonderful find. Is this a local event to LEH? Pam ::wave:

nkoconnell
09-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Wonderful find. Is this a local event to LEH? Pam ::wave:

Yes, Pam. It's every year at Tip Seaman Park, the second week of September. I showed him one of my paintings on my cell phone and he got them out of the truck. Said he didn't want to sell them to someone who wouldn't appreciate them. I certainly do :clap: