PDA

View Full Version : Female Portrait (in progress)

krico
09-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Hello
I wanted to share my latest paining I'm working on (+detail on the eye). I'll post the finished version as I get there ;)
best regards
Kris

krico
09-12-2014, 08:57 AM
oh, forgot to mention some info:
acrylics on canvas 80x60cm

moepar
09-12-2014, 09:11 AM
That's a really good start. Love seeing wips

ColinS
09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Wow this is looking great already. Keep us posted on progress.

idylbrush
09-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Great start. The quality of the brushstroke really caught my eye.

susme48
09-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Wonderful start!

Fox_eNova
09-13-2014, 12:02 PM
XLNT! I can't imagine doing one eye at the time and matching color, etc. on the other eye. Hence, I do not do portraits, but am always amazed. Looking forward seeing your progress.

krico
09-13-2014, 12:42 PM
@Fox eNova; normally I would do both eyes at the same time because the colors must match, but here she is holding a flower in front of her other eye, so i don't have to worry about that :)

Charlie's Mum
09-13-2014, 01:34 PM
I really am envious of your brushwork!

If you feel, at any time, you'd like to do a really detailed and informative WIP (so we can learn how you do things ;);)) I'm sure we'd all appreciate it immensely!
For instance - you seem to work fast - at least the brushwork seems to suggest speed and vitality!:)
What colours? and do you mix on palette or canvas?
How thin is the paint - water or medium?
Size of brush(es).

Violetta
09-13-2014, 05:53 PM
This is stunning! I agree with Maureen.

If you feel, at any time, you'd like to do a really detailed and informative WIP (so we can learn how you do things ) I'm sure we'd all appreciate it immensely!

I hope you consider her suggestion. I'm sure I could learn a lot.

Moonstone_Vedis
09-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Very nice work! Love the brush strokes and emotion you get looking at it.

Barb'sArt
09-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Wow! Simply awesome! As mentioned, I love your brushwork, and the skin tones are wonderful!

Cathryn&Shep
09-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Teach us, please? :wave: :wave: :wave:

jocko500
09-16-2014, 12:29 AM
:clap: doing real good

Dcam
09-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Really good stuff. Looking forward.
Derek

krico
09-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Hello all,

Okay one golden tip, before you start to paint, drink a double scotch on the rocks... no Iím joking of course. You have to be very sober if you want to get the best out of you.

To be honest, I started painting acrylics intensively just a 4 to 5 months ago. Before that I mostly did drawings (in charcoal and pastels).
Iím going to share some of my experiences and I have no idea if you would learn the same things in art school. So I hope it can help you in some way.

I find, whether you draw or paint (and Iím talking mainly about portraits or figures here), there are two important aspects to focus on that can make or break an artwork. First thing, if you make the drawing, itís important to have the right proportions. If itís a drawing on a canvas for a painting, donít start painting as long as the drawing isnít correct.
Secondly, tone values! Put some time in practicing tone values. Look closely to your reference picture and what you painted. Compare if you have the same contrast. Itís a mistake I often see. Some faces have to little contrast and look flat, no depth.
Itís always interesting to paint or draw on a canvas that has a first layer of a certain mid-tone color. Can be any color you like, but not too bright. Some kind of mid-brown or mid-gray is a good start. Anything is better than a pure white blank canvas. In fact itís horrible to start on, terrifying, not inviting.

This is all theoretic. Painting is also intuitive process and a learning process. If you do a painting and youíre not happy with it. Look at it and determine whatís wrong, and try again. Mistakes are to learn from, not to be scared of.

If you have to correct proportions and if you can put the right contrast or tone value, there is space to loosen up the brushes a bit. Look closely to my painting here above in this thread. I do not color exact between the lines. There are many spots or spontaneous brush strokes that are inaccurate, but that make the painting look alive and vivid. Try to experiment or think out of the box. Be creative.
On the right side of my painting a put the darkest values of her hair on the canvas with an old expired MasterCard. I simply put some pure black paint on the card and almost Ďsmashedí it wildly on the canvas. Underneath thereís also a black but a thin semi-transparent layer. I use gloss medium for that, not water. I only use water to wash out my brushes.
The size of my brushes is determined by what I like working with most at every stage of the painting. I have no theory about that. Itís just a feeling. Sometimes Iím working with a small brush on a particular part of the painting. And a certain moment I feel like I should try with a bigger brush. Then you feel immediately ďoh, much betterĒ or ďhmm, the smaller one felt betterĒ.
I work rather fast, yes. But working on detailed parts, like the eye, I try to find my calm and put some time in the accuracy.

I can talk for hours, but Iím not sure how to help you most effectively, because everyone has other struggles or questions.

Feel free, to share what you are struggling with, and I will try to give you a helpful answer or advice. Show me some examples of things youíre working on that arenít going as you wish.
Itís easier for me to provide you direct input on a particular problem, then to talk for hours in general. Iíll do the best I can.

I will try to do a step-by-step demo as soon as I can.

And most important: Donít give up too quickly. Itís not how many times you fail, itís how many times you get upÖ

Kris

asmith38
09-16-2014, 09:31 AM
(S)he's looking at you, kid :)! It really feels like she is looking right at me! Awesome work!