PDA

View Full Version : Brick + Mortar Store (Massachusetts) & Open Stock Pastels

violetholly
09-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Ok, so I went to the closest art store in my area (Worcester, MA) and only had the opportunity to try some Rembrant open stock pastels, which I found a little hard or medium soft as noted by many.
Does anyone know of a store in Massachusetts that has open stock of several pastel brands?

SAS Designs
09-12-2014, 01:46 PM
The Art Guild on Main St. in Northampton MA. There is also a lovely small art store on Cottage St. in Easthampton, MA. And of course, Dick Blick's in Boston.

I think the Dakota ( online) offering of a Pastel Sampler is a good way to learn about ALL the different brands of pastel, soft, medium, hard.

Honestly, I don't think there's a B&M store with the selection you'll find online, except for the Fine Arts Store in Rochester(?) NY. They've also got a great website.
Good luck. suzy

Devonlass
09-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Dick Blick in Boston.

SAS Designs
09-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Note: Dick Blick's prices are HIGHER in B&M stores - lowest price on their website.

robertsloan2
09-13-2014, 02:54 PM
This is true for all brick and mortar stores. Mail order and online companies have lower overhead. They don't have high rents in good locations, as high a power bill, as many employees and so on. Even before the Internet, Blick was a mail order outfit and had great prices by mail but higher ones in their physical stores for that reason.