PDA

View Full Version : Self-Portrait with Acrylic

Chris27
09-11-2014, 12:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2014/1893287-20140911_183848.gif
24" x 24"
Acrylic on Canvas

Hi all! First time I am posting up a painting. I've done a self-portrait but it's still in progress. Looking for a critique and opinions to help me see what it needs.
Thank you all,
Chris

idylbrush
09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Brave effort. Always a challenge to do a self portrait.

Chris27
09-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Thank you, yes it is. I've been trying many different types of subjects and styles lately. I think the arms and jacket need work. I'm worried the whole thing is uninspiring but it was a good exercise! :)

ColinS
09-12-2014, 02:38 AM
I think the elements are there for an excellent self portrait. A little more blending on the skin and some work on the jacket, but the face looks very good.

Charlie's Mum
09-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Welcome Chris - and how brave . portraits challenge many experienced painters!

I think, when you get the light and shade into the jacket the form will emerge and make more sense.
Similarly, the face form and detail will begin to be more realistic with careful attention to the light/shade of the various parts of the face - cheekbones, eye sockets etc.

old_hobbyist
09-13-2014, 09:16 PM
good start. Selfies are much harder to paint than to fotograph.
Suggest you drop left arm (right in the ptg) down and hide the right hand (below in the ptg).
Focus on the head, neck and shoulders.
Push contrast - darken the left side (right in the ptg) of the face and hilite the cheek on the right side (left in the ptg).
Remember, the nose sticks out from the body, meaning that there should be some kind of shadow on the dark side of the face.
Do not abandon it
Keep working on it
Remember with acrylics you can keep painting over and over and over and...

Cathryn&Shep
09-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Super suggestions up there^^^^ I think you're off to a great start. These folks here know what they're talking about! And even when postings aren't about my paintings, I still read them and 'take notes.'

I bet the jacket has a bunch of rumples and ripples of fabric. That's going to be fun to watch you develop all those shadows!!!

It's not something I've done....yet. I still want to eventually, though do I paint myself now, or when I was younger, as in ‘first married’? :D

Just don't lose an ear over it!!! :lol:

Chris27
09-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Thank you all for the great advice. I will take it all in and post up the outcome when done.

Colin S - Thank you! Yes more blending is required and noted that the jacket needs more work. I didn't realise how poorly blended it was until I took a photo of it.

Charlie's mum - Thank you, yes I am certainly not experienced. The jacket will get a lot of attention and I will add more shade to the facial features and bring them out (unfortunately I don't really have prominent facial features haha).

oldhobbyist - Haha I've never been one to take a selfie but oddly enough I chose to paint myself. The original photoshopping. The arms are meant to represent a feeling of being trapped, the face and eyes should have a quiet fear in them. I say this because I want the arms to be where they are, maybe I should crumple the jacket to a stop to exaggerate the defined barrier of the canvas? Thank you for your suggestions, I will correct the shoulders, put in a little bit of neck and add more shade for the nose. And yes I will certainly add more contrast to the face. Needs more depth. I will keep working on it and post it back up when done.

Cathryn&Shep - Yes they are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I've been viewing this site for a little while to give me tips on painting, really wonderful! Yeah the jacket has plenty of rumples and ripples, I haven't nearly done it justice in terms of contrast because you can hardly see them. You should paint yourself now, I did it because I wanted to try doing it live in a mirror and I think it's a great way to explore yourself and expressions. I mean I rarely look at my own face and maybe people fear looking at it that closely. So yes, paint yourself now. :) Haha, I haven't an ear to lose (in the painting), maybe I should put one in. ;)

old_hobbyist
09-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Hey Chris,
Check out this thread from the portraiture forum - all on selfies
Self Portraits join in the fun!
Mine is #12
There are 1000 entries or more now