PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic 3D Critique Please!

ThickPainting
09-09-2014, 07:54 PM
People are getting confused with my course cover. Are you confused?

I'm creating a course cover at Udemy for my acrylic painting videos on how to get 3D swirl shapes you can arrange in a painting. It will have a short promo video showing how this "Cane Swirl" is a sculpted paint strip where one end looks like the end of a cane type of walking stick, and turned over, makes a cool rose. The course shows ways for "fine art painters" to get the Cane Swirl look and ideas on what you can do with the method in your paintings or make sculptures with them.

BUT, non-artists are getting confused. Would you be confused as to what this course is about? Before I tell the hangup points, I want to see if this cover makes sense to artists, especially in the acrylic painting or impasto realm. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2014/1675743-Cane_Swirl_Cover8opt.jpg

GardenMaven
09-09-2014, 08:07 PM
I get it, but non artists have probably never seen ribbons of acrylic paint lifted and molded. I would bet they would assume you painted the swirls with a brush.

ColinS
09-10-2014, 01:46 AM
I am not confused, but I read your description. I might not have figured it out completely on my own. Great idea, though.

ThickPainting
09-10-2014, 02:05 AM
WOW! Two people who get it and are both artists. (Not used to this!) Ok then, maybe I am appealing to the right people. Where some get hung up are these 3 points that go through their head:

1. What is a Cane?
2. Is this made of frosting or paint? (Since I show how to use cake decorating tips but with paint, not frosting, people get confused with what they know... the pastry world.)
3. Clay artists use the "cane" term that I hadn't thought of before spending several months on making these paintings and videos! (arghhh)

So what the others are saying is to not mention the whole "Cane Swirl" name and say "Make Sculptures from Paint" so they will get it. BUT I have all kinds of projects to share down the road under that title of all sculptures (made from paint). So the "Cane Swirl" adds at least some description as to "what kind" of sculptures.

Keep it or leave it out? Change it to something different? I'm trying to appeal to acrylic painting artists or those who want to start.

chammi kaiser
09-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Not confused at all. I like this. It is different and I always enjoy artists who experiment. I am sure you will have a lot of interest in your course.

Charlie's Mum
09-10-2014, 07:07 AM
I understand what you you've made and what it is and seems a good idea ...... what I'm not familiar with is the term 'cane'.
Cane sugar, walking cane, weaving cane for baskets?
The way you use the term is not familiar in the UK - so, if it's to be International, perhaps a different word?

LavenderFrost
09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
I think the term cane could be confusing.

What about calling them Rolled Swirls?

susme48
09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Quite interesting! Not sure I would have had too much of a clue from just the sign...tho' that did intrigue me. :) Did a bit of googling...this site caning (http://www.jaedworks.com/clayspot/polyclay-faq/caning.html) helped me understand this type of caning...and found that Dick Blick had a video of doing it in clay...How to cane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28SbYmRAufY). Found myself curious as to how to use it in acrylics. I've used modeling paste for trees etc....and had ideas of doing more 3-D style things, but had not really experimented.

With my search learned that Picasso did collages...something I'd never known. Tho' I have to admit, my art education is a bit lacking..:lol: Interesting, none the less!

Hope you post more about it! :)

~JMW~
09-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I suggest changing the "out of paint" portion
to "from paint " or "with paint"
and maybe keep same font & color for a cohesive title.. it seems to be broken up too much .

Charlie's Mum
09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Susan - glad you found those links - I've always known about "millefiori" but didn't realise that 'cane' meant this!:)

ThickPainting
09-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Oh! All these are great suggestions! Wonderful. Yes, I will add in "with paint."

Maybe I can add in a reference to the more known clay cane, and try to do this with paint. This will be much more limiting, but may bridge a gap in at least concept. It could probably be of use to those who want to use up some of their paint scraps to not waste them, but may be stretching the idea of painting. I'm already doing that! That's a great cane reference video. Thank you.

"Rolled Swirl" is a great term, but that tells people how it's done. I guess that's pretty evident though? It is hard to decide what to reveal and what to leave for the course. Thanks for the international note. Never heard of a basket weaving cane. Well, with all these different interpretations, I will be glad for the promo video to add some clarity for those who have shown enough interest in this course cover at least.

I will try to post more. If I don't remember this page, susme48, for those who want to follow this idea, I will update those who want to be notified here:

http://ruthcollis.wix.com/originals#!tp-course-signup/c18pv

I have set and re-set this thread for me to be notified in email of any responses, yet have not got one notice, so have to check here manually. If anyone knows a way around this here at WetCanvas, let me know!

Thanks very much for all this input!
Ruth

ThickPainting
09-11-2014, 03:26 AM
Ok, now what do you think? Is the idea of this course more clear with new title? I used only 2 fonts and only 3 different sizes now. Kept only 2 font colors. I will have to reference to the cane in the videos somehow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2014/1675743-Cane_Swirl_Cover9opt.jpg