PDA

View Full Version : Wide-eyed and Drooling!

Uubald
04-23-2000, 08:46 PM
Hello everybody!
I've just started in watercolors, pushed by some kind of instinct, feeling, and faith, I guess. Everything, up to insanity(I really spent a bundle) led me to start.

I first read some books, than more books.Then I tried with my old watercolors(really cheap) and found out they didn't even react as watercolor should. I bought everything I needed, and started painting. Incredible!

Then I went online today, looking for watercolours sites, stumbled onto this one, and am already so inspired by all the information!

I read most watercolors postings here(last 60 days), I registered, and here am I!

I will definetely try a lot of techniques from this site! Thanks for all your postings!

Here's my contribution: I read in a book by Valfred Thellin (I hope I'm writing his name correctly) about how to make rocks with a single edge rasor blade. It works!
Just do your general rock color(paintbrush), let dry almost completely or completely, than paint on a darker shade of color(same or other) and squeegee off the color with the blade, in some areas. You can also use the residue lines that form to create cracks! You can even scratch and sketch in new lines and shapes with the corner of the blade! Worked first time for me, real easy!

I'll be back here as often as I can. I'm just so thirsty for knowledge!

------------------
-But what if I learn too much?
-Nah, there's always a leak anyway...

Gisela
04-23-2000, 10:19 PM
Uubald,
Welcome to WetCanvas!!
I understand exactly what you mean about the watercolors. It was the same for me many years ago. It still gives me a thrill whenever I open my palette and look at all those luscious colors and then decide where to apply them to a sheet of thick white paper. Mmmmmm...I love it!
...But then I get that same thrill now when I open my boxes of pastels, or squeeze some oils or acrylics onto a palette. There's a lovely little 'rush' every time. And when it all works, there's a huge rush, the best feeling in the world!

Gisela

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela

Rod
04-24-2000, 03:56 AM
Welcome Uubald,
I love watercolours too, love the white paper and the different ways the pigments react,
There are numerous ways of producing textures, as you say razor blades, tooth brush , salt crystals, plastic ,
Enjoy its a great medium,
Rod

------------------
Watercolours from New Zealand (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/rod/)

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited April 24, 2000).]

Uubald
04-27-2000, 10:35 PM
Yo both are right, Gisela and Rod! I do love the medium, and the rush I get when I'm about to create. In any medium, I, too, feel this awe at the possibilities. The page is My world, I decide what goes where, and how. However, I often, like yesterday night, feel disapointed when the results are less than I expected, even after hours of work. I tried to make a cartoon on a blank watercolour postcard. It doesn't react the same as my other paper. And I think I used the colours too much like filling in than making the drawing with it. But I learned about masking!

It's always like that. But I guess I'm too into it to drop it for any amount of time. I'm sartin a big watercolour painting soon.

I got a question about paper qualities, I'm adding it now to this forum.

Thanks for your quick replies!

Oh, by the way, Rod, I love your tutorials on this website! (I imagine you're the same Rod?)

be reading ya!
Uubald

------------------
-But what if I learn too much?
-Nah, there's always a leak anyway...