PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Quickies to get back in the swing!

RainySea
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Hello. . . I've been spending a lot of time the past year getting my new house and property in order and very little on my art. So I'm all rusty now!

Picked up a pencil for the first time in probably at least a year today and did a quickie sketch of one of the dogs. Used a cheapie no name sketchbook I had around because I really need to get back into practice before using any of my nice S&B ones!!!

So I started this folder and plan to attempt to make time to sketch something everyday this month.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2014/132279-knute1.jpg

robertsloan2
09-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Oh wow! Of course you start off a cheap no-name sketchbook with a beautiful, brilliantly shaded dog sketch with perfect composition. You do these dogs like I do my cat. That breed pours off your hand with long practice and great expressiveness. Love the look in its eye. Love the soft shading and tonal balance. Great lighting. This is going to be a good sketchbook!

Often it's the quickies that come out particularly well, that happens to me all the time. I think it's no big deal but they're stronger and better composed than if I noodled over it for a long time.

DrDebby
09-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Good to see you back Rainy. Sweet dog sketch.

vhere
09-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Robert says it perfectly. The feeling you have shines through in the personality and pose great 'rusty!' Sketch ;)

Joan T
09-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Raine it is so good to see you again! Cute sketch of the dog!!!

RainySea
09-22-2014, 01:30 AM
Thank you so much Robert, Viv, Joan, Debby! I may start having drawings now of a different type of dog as in addition to my beloved bull terriers, I also now have an old fashioned scotch farm collie to help out here on my property! Her name is Violet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2014/132279-violetsm.jpg

P.S. Robert. . . I did finish my novel from NaNo last year but decided it wasn't one I wanted to pursue publishing and have been working on another that it coming out much better I think.

DrDebby
09-22-2014, 01:32 PM
What a darling sweet dog. Love the little fold on the one ear. :)

zebby
10-12-2014, 01:21 PM
love your dog sketch - so cute.

robertsloan2
10-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Yay for your Nanovel and looking forward to the new one. Going to do it again this year? I will for sure. Nanowrimo (http://www.nanowrimo.org) rocks - other readers, click the link if you don't know what it is. It's a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel within the month of November every year, you post your word count and measure progress by quantity rather than quality to get a good rough draft to edit.

I might do Horror this year and illustrate in charcoal since charcoal gets spooky!

Violet's a beautiful dog! Looking forward to your portraits of her. She looks healthy and happy. Collies are among my favorite dog breeds ever. I had one when I was five, his name was Rex and he was so beautiful. Big fluffy tail, enormous fluffy big graceful dog, naive as the day is long because he spent his whole life in the dog pen. When he did get out, his one and only day of freedom ended in his running in front of a truck to get killed. Broke my heart and my dad's heart, we never got another collie. Now that I'm an adult who could have one, I can't because I don't live in a large place with a yard and can't physically walk a dog daily, so no dog, not even a chihuahua unless I happened to get one that was litter box trained and Ari wanted him.

Though that is occasionally tempting as he really loves dogs smaller than he is and the San Francisco chihuahuas sometimes come in Long Hair, most of all they are well behaved dogs that act like larger, disciplined dogs instead of micro-Cujo psycho pups. The long hairs are very pretty and my cat likes little little dogs, he plays gently with them.

I love that photo of Violet and hope you do her portrait from it. She has such a sweet smile! Lovely pose! So lively!

vhere
10-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Violet is lovely and very different to draw

Vivien Maloney
10-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Hey there Rainy -:wave: I remember your sketches of your dogs very well, and I dont think, you are rusty at all! Love your new dog, Violet too. Looking forward to seeing sketches of her as well.
I havent posted in this Forum for soooo long, but Im trying to find some time to get my sketchbooks out again. Ive really missed sketching in my journals.