PDA

View Full Version : daily paintings websites

Mamalynn
09-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Has anyone joined one of the daily paintings websites such as Daily Paintworks? If so, have you had any success selling your work there? What has been your experience. Would love to know any particulars. Thanks, Lynn

robertsloan2
09-04-2014, 10:53 AM
This is interesting. I'd like to know more about it myself. I follow some blogs by daily painters, especially Karen Margulis, so I thought that was what you were talking about. Good to know about a potential market!

creativevintage
09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
I have had my work on Daily Paintworks for some time, but no sales. I think that you have to have a following already established if you are going to post on any of those sites....it was quite a thrill, though to see the grouping of my work together.

julieindvik
09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
My oil painting teacher sells several small paintings a week on that site. They are usually priced at $75 to $100 so maybe that helps with sales.

robertsloan2
09-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Just found dailypainters.com when I followed a link on Karen Margulis's blog. I've been reading Karen's articles and demos for a couple of years and love them - and checked her sales. Wham, almost a total sellout on it. Everything I clicked on was "Sold but contact me if you'd like something similar."

Prices are by size and range $50 to $150 or $250 if she paints quite large, up to about 16" x 20" sometimes. I think some of it is that she's a great painter but some of it's also that grabby blog. I keep seeing paintings I would buy if I had the money and will probably at least get one of her small works someday once my current plans are taken care of.

So maybe the secret of selling daily paintings is to write a good blog and do a lot of free demos on it? I've seen some of my favorite painters here talk about selling demo paintings to their students, also more blogs I follow if the artist does workshops, someone at them will usually buy the demo painting. She does post often, I do get actual daily posts and daily painting.

I might try that once I'm on old age Social Security. Gives me a couple of years to improve before I have a go at it - but I'd have to be set up to make painting small format works very easy, so that most days I'm up to doing it. Step one would just be managing a daily sketch.

Potoma
09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Go the Wetcanvas Artist's Marketplace and look under Internet Sales to see these things described, researched, bantered.

I also saw a link there of over 250 places to sell online (http://www.artsyshark.com/125-places-to-sell/).

I just started with Fine Art America to sell prints, mostly of paintings that have already sold and I'm not doing anything else with the image... for example, there is a badge you can put on the blog entry about it (http://bfbutler.blogspot.com/2013/06/great-falls-toward-riverbend.html) to get people to look at FAA.

What I didn't realize is that it limits at 25 paintings at the free level, so I am going to pay the $30 for a year. I think that is very reasonable. I know others who use this a good bit with success, mostly by announcing and showing on Facebook when something sells, then putting the image on FAA. I plan to expand it to include my photography.

Daily Paintworks is good, even if you don't paint every day. Rita Kirklman (http://www.dailypaintworks.com/artists/rita-kirkman-19), a PSA master member, is on there and there is talk at the WC Marketplace section about being a featured vs. just a member artist. They also talk about doing the auctions, for which DPW takes a percentage. You're on the front page with new entries as well as with auctions. (Other people say to just do ebay without the store front.)

Lots to research and this has been what's occupied me the last week.

Many of the pieces for sale are just scribbles that larger paintings are built from. Many are also from the 30 paintings in 30 days trend. I began doing that this month and am keeping up, not necessarily by painting daily, tho, and that isn't my goal. The goal is just to paint 30, even if it is 4 miniatures in a day as I prepare for the holidays in my gallery. And another goal is to have a better online presence. (I get blog hits each time I put up a painting in the 30 in 30 thumbnail list with a link attached.)

I have each FAA badge I create to be automatically posted on Twitter, too, and have new followers. Otherwise, I never use Twitter. Maybe I should. And put the daily ones for the 30 in 30 on there, too. I could do the cross posting on Facebook, too, but opted not to do that to my personal feed. I finally made a fan page, but it is still bare bones after a few days, but I will put the FAA images there. (https://www.facebook.com/BonnieFergusonButler)

I put way too much time into organizing exhibits and workshops for others and I am having fun finding ways to put my art first.

robertsloan2
09-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Let me know how that goes. I'm starting to think about building up a body of work even if it is all small format paintings, and try to build up to daily painting someday through daily sketching. Then when I flip over to old-age at 62, not try to worry about making a living on it but supplement it at least as far as I can go.

Davkin
09-08-2014, 07:07 PM
I've sold a few paintings on Daily Paintworks but it's a challenge, I can't really say yet that it's been worth it since the total fees I've paid so far come to close to half of my total sales. To be successful on there your work has be high quality and distinctive to standout and you need to "publish" regularly, maybe not daily but at least weekly. Either that or you need to market yourself extensively, (this seems to be how Karen Margulis has created her success there.).

I've been doing ebay lately as well. Auction style listings for original art are free up to 50 listings per month, so I figured since it's free there's nothing to lose. I've been listing about 10 or so paintings/week for nearly two months now, usually the same ones over and over again and on the fifth week finally sold two small (5x7's) landscape paintings, but that's it.

David

robertsloan2
09-09-2014, 12:03 AM
Good luck on eBay, David. Glad you finally got some sales and good point - eBay is free unless you sell, they get it in fees from the proceeds. I'll be interested to see how all that goes. Nice to know they are doing first 50 auctions free to list though.