PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner - September 2014

PaintDog
09-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Happy September, everyone! Have a great and creative month :thumbsup:

Foxyheart2002
09-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Same to you Ann!!

I have a 2-hour demo on Thursday in an art gallery locally and have been requested to do workshops in a town in Nevada near here. And an art show in Northern California. This looks to be a BUSY month!

Here's hoping everyone else has an art filled month too!!

PaintDog
09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Good stuff for you, Sue! I'm looking forward to seeing yours and Shirl's work in person at the Draft Horse Classic.

I have a scratchboard workshop on the 20th and I scored a couple of demos as a result of participating in the Rocklin Fine Arts/Woofstock event. Sales were dismal at that event, but picking up a couple demos makes up for it. One demo in November, another one in April. Can't believe I'm already scheduling things for 2015 :eek:.

I also met three gals and their dogs at Woofstock who want commissions. They already knew about me (friends of a friend) and came by to meet me, so it wasn't totally random, but it was nice to solidify the connection. They're all involved in CCI (Canine Companions) and/or agility so there's the potential for many more commissions. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, 'cause commissions are great, but it would be nice to sell some stock on hand for that wonderful "instant gratification".

I also got some training time in for Arrow, since he spent the day with me at Woofstock. He was a very good boy to hang out calmly for 8+ hours. Of course, we took a couple of walks around the event to see what was happening.

Here's a photo of him with the Woofstock Bug:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2014/93895-P1070095_upload.jpg

Celticelf
09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
I just started this weekend getting boards started for my demo in November. Wondered why I was nervous since I'm in front of people constantly and doing programs regularly: answer simple...not my turf, nobody I know, topic with which I am most vulnerable. So for me, over-preparation is the key.

PaintDog
09-05-2014, 08:58 PM
You'll be just fine, Terri! Remember, you only have to know more than your audience!! Also remember to have fun :D

SandeVBL
09-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Congratulations, Sue, Ann, and Terri, for getting in lots of scratchboard demos and workshops! Sounds like interest in it is growing rapidly.

ggart4u
09-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Sue, Ann and Terri... keep rocking it! :thumbsup:

I've been doing some art, nothing finished, and just trying to take a step back. I need to figure out where I want to go with it all. I think it's a healthy thing.

Foxyheart2002
09-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all the compliments!

I just found out that my Equine Elegance won Second in the State of Utah for graphics. I understand they had quite a few entries. Woo hooooo!

dustynbiz
09-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Congratulations, Sue. Another feather in your cap.

PatrickHedges
09-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Great news in this scratchy corner. Well done guys :)

Sue, that is such an awesome piece!!

I manage to choose jobs that demand a lot of overtime which kills my art time. Hence the large absences. Anyway...................

Last September I had a demo booked for the Pastel Association of South Australia, a scratchboard demo. I manage to double book myself by going to West Africa instead so this September I was booked in to do what I was supposed to do last year. I managed to double book myself again because it was my wife's 50th. I booked a hotel for two nights in the city but couldn't let them down again so dashed off for a couple of hours to do the demo. I'll post the piece in a separate thread but it went reasonably well and have been booked to do a two day workshop next year. Cool!

PaintDog
09-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Hey Patrick, welcome back!

Draft Horse Classic is this weekend! It's always fun to hang out around the BIG horses. Shirley, Sue and I all have scratchboard work in the art show. Shirley will have a booth too, so I'll see her, and Sue will be in town, so I'm hoping we'll connect at the show.

I'm giving a scratchboard workshop on Saturday, 5 people have signed up. I was pulling materials and samples together earlier today.

On the afternoon of the 28th, some of us who are participating in an open studios tour next month are giving demos. Of course, I'll demo scratchboard.

Foxyheart2002
09-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Shirley will be there too? Cool!!

lorna12
09-19-2014, 12:37 AM
Way to go spreading the word about scratchboard, through your demos and teachings, everyone. :clap:

Little news to share...My piece Coloured Pencils has been selected for the Strokes of Genius #7 Depth, Dimension + Space. The book will be out sometime later 2015.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2014/11613-Colored_Pencils.jpg

PatrickHedges
09-19-2014, 07:02 AM
That's excellent news Lorna - and you too Ann!

ggart4u
09-19-2014, 07:43 AM
A hearty Congrats to Lorna and Ann - Happy for you both!

PaintDog
09-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Congrats Lorna! Thanks Patrick & Ginger!

It's great to see so much recognition for scratchboard, and seeing all the new folks in the scratchboard group on Facebook tells me it's catching fire!

lorna12
09-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Thank you Patrick, Ginger and Ann! :)

hectorstudio
09-20-2014, 03:44 PM
How can I be out of 8x10 boards?!!!

XQB
09-21-2014, 07:05 AM
My question, Hector, is "How can I be out of boards larger than 8X10??"

ggart4u
09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
You guys need to go shopping!

hectorstudio
09-21-2014, 09:54 AM
I do. Blick has them on backorder till 10/10

spikeaboo
09-23-2014, 07:46 PM
I haven't posted in a while. I've been having an up and down few weeks. Last month my ram scratchboard "Twisted" took People's Choice at the national at the Cape Cod Art Association.They said they had more votes than they've ever gotten before.
Then at the end of the month I was photographing the Budweiser Clydesdales in my town when the very large horse van backed up with no warning and knocked me over. I was knocked out for a few seconds, came to with people yelling at me "Get up, Get up" and then they dragged me out of the way. My left leg was bruised from the knee to the foot. Also I somehow manged to keep ahold of my Canon 7d camera with the 18-270 lens on it but it jammed into my right thumb (scratching hand) which is still sore. I had a cortisone shot last week and it's slowly improving. Camera's Ok.
Then....I jammed my left hand at work between an iron I-beam and a metal rack. Six stitches in my left pinkie. It took two people 20 minutes to clean up the blood. One girl said it looked like a crime scene. Surprisingly it never really hurt. Just the shots to numb my hand for the stitches .
And now I have a cold. It's got to get better, Right? Please?

spikeaboo
09-23-2014, 08:04 PM
I forgot to mention this was on Facebook

Art People Gallery added 13 new photos to the album Scratchboards by Diana Lee.

Lots of nice comments on your artwork, Diana

PaintDog
09-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Whoa, Tina, you've been through the ringer! So sorry.

Great news about the ram drawing, the rest of it, awful!

Glad you saved your camera and are on the mend.

Thanks for sharing the info about Diana's art. Here's the link to the photo album. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.745643818841270.1073742773.109328009139524

I'm really annoyed by the stupid comments some people felt they had to post, but 95% of the commenters appreciate Diana's talent!

ggart4u
09-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Tina... hope all is better soon! :thumbsup:

I feel like such a slacker after reading what you all are doing. :eek:
I kind of fell off the art wagon - not pushing myself, but I really needed the rest. I feel the pull towards getting my art back on track.

I have really enjoyed looking at the amount of killer artwork that you, my fellow artists, have created. Such creativity and talent. It's like a cozy blanket of wonderful to wrap up in! :heart:

FoggyMountain
10-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Well said Ginger. I too, so enjoy seeing everyone's creations. And am sooo happy for Sue, Ann and Lorna for their achievements. Congratulations!