PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Challenge Sep 2014

AllanWaiShingMak
09-01-2014, 02:47 AM
Hi,
l had posted before and found these challenge very interesting and profitable on learning more advance skills and knowledges of Oil Pastel

I hope you like my selection and my demo

The 'challenge' is for ALL abilities and you can experiment with new techniques, just sketch or leap out of your comfort zone and try an unfamiliar subject. It's entirely up to you as long as 75% of your painting is completed with oil pastels.

You're free to post as you go, even if a 'WIP' to show us your process, which we love to see, or if you get stuck and need help and advice. We are all friendly and happy to help. We don't bite!

Never be embarrassed to post, because we all had to start somewhere, and sometimes fresh eyes can see what is needed to fix etc if you ask for help.

Please only critique if asked.

When you post your finished piece it's really useful if you state

•The type of support you used including any surface prep,
•the finished size of your painting or sketch,
•the brand of Oil Pastels used and whether you used anything under the OP as an underpainting or wash. Other mediums may be used to compliment, but the work must be primarily Oil Pastels.

PLEASE NOTE: Oil Bars, (solidified oil paint sticks may also be used in this challenge, as they are so similar and not included in other forum)
It's not mandatory, we are just a nosey bunch.

This bamboo scenery is beautiful but the most challenge selection

l had included some nice photos of waterlily and included a demo (that will be posted later)

The doggie is a cute pameranian l met on street

The chinese garden is my new demo on how to extend the limit and possibility of finished work.

The Japanese garden is from my friend who visited Japan early this year

The fish tank is gorgeous

AllanWaiShingMak
09-01-2014, 03:11 AM
more waterliies

Pat Isaac
09-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks for hosting this month Allan. Gorgeous waterlilies..

Pat

tuscanny
09-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Beautiful photos! Beautiful cichlids. I don't recognize the other fishes. Lovely sceneries too.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Behold until you see the demo ! I try to tell you what l know so far and may you also have this insight helpful for your own project or next coming debut. :angel:

here are some extra crazy challenges
Chinese Restaurant Theme. l want to try this theme (Warning: Don't stand there for hours!)

Flycatcher10
09-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Hi Allan, thanks for hosting this month. Great selection of photographs!

purpletrader
09-01-2014, 12:10 PM
great pictures, allan. i am leaning toward the fish or the water lilies.

ed

AllanWaiShingMak
09-01-2014, 10:05 PM
This summer Waterlilies are" HOT":clap:
Just to give everyone more choices, and to avoid repeat ,
so Chineses Restaurant theme is introduced , well, I think
That are challenges. Something you haven't touch or thought
about. Thanks everyone your comments are welcome.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-02-2014, 09:19 AM
:angel: hi everyone ,

this is my last challenge artwork , l decided to make some changes to enhanced its beauty. The painting will be make bigger and the composition of the painting has to be modified. Here is a preliminary artwork which gives me a cue to organise my steps to alternate the old artwork . The trees, branches ,and the pond will be painted differently then early, at least the colour of them will not confusing the viewer and will give the painting an harmony look.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-02-2014, 10:12 AM
file missing , load again ........:angel:

tuscanny
09-04-2014, 08:06 AM
My version of the pink waterlily. A5 white board. My hand was slightly heavy with the red so I had to make it slightly redder:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2014/1256189-waterlily_ops.jpg

Flycatcher10
09-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Lovely painting Allan, the loose style suits the scene beautifully! I like the mood you created.

Wonderful lily painting Christel!

Pat Isaac
09-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Lovely lily, Christel....I like the variation of the leaves.
Great energy in that landscape, Alan.

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
09-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Tuscany you're doing great on this water lily . The leaves and the lily are well rendered. The pond reflection just made them cool and calm. You're very good and fast react.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Thank a Pat & Fly your comments . The miniature art just a study of the subject before execution . It's a good start to begin. small size is so easy to manage.
It gives me insight to the next step. Show you the procedure photos later.

tuscanny
09-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks Allan, Pat and Mary. Interesting way of preparing for a big painting, Allan.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-05-2014, 01:05 AM
here are the procedures.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-05-2014, 01:17 AM
too much photos , may be just go faster

tuscanny
09-05-2014, 01:25 AM
That is a good size you are working on! Lovely!

AllanWaiShingMak
09-05-2014, 01:40 AM
2 A4 placed horizontallyand side by side created a panorama view .it's big screen TV

AllanWaiShingMak
09-05-2014, 03:15 AM
So I looked at your lily awhile , I thought you had tried hard
to complete your painting . Excellent !

AllanWaiShingMak
09-06-2014, 01:35 AM
The left pavilion was drew less attractive & positioned lower than the right pavilion. the actual color of the scenery is dull that i definitely not using it. i booted the color intensity stronger and deepen the trees depth of field; the brighter the trees top, the furthest they pushed to the background.
also different color tree trunks also tell their location in the painting. the pond boundary also created an illusion of space. i also decided either a ripple or calm water surface will
suit my composition. also left some spaces in the trees as see through the background also help to creat space.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-07-2014, 04:24 AM
most works is done on the left side panel . the pavilion have more details and adjustments. the white bridge wAS NOW shaded with trees shadow. It is not there in the photo. l added it cause it isn't the the main object of the painting. there are foreground and background pond boulders . They are drew with different colour to suggest position their location. As the tree details were added , their form, size, colour and shape defined their location. Clearly you could see this effect that they're separated and scattered by comparison of the brightest and darkest tree tanks on the ground, the tree tops also suggested their coordination as well. l worked on the bridge reflection and its surrounding pond surface . And next step l will do more on trees and will rework on my last right panel to reflect new changes . Allan ...........hope you understand and interest to know more my way of creating artwork.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-08-2014, 11:22 AM
may be someone is working hard on one of the photo showed here, l also show you my work of the waterlily here

Here are some thinkings before l start my piece . the complexity and the colour choices of the waterlily here are quite interesting to think about. l had two choices. they only took few minutes to finish but that helped me to make a big
different.

purpletrader
09-09-2014, 10:35 AM
here is my version of the water lilie. i got new glasses yesterday and i think the lenses are off but i used them to produce this painting. i think i need to get my glasses fixed before i do much more to this.

ed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2014/1580605-water_lilie.jpg

Flycatcher10
09-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Hi Allan, I've enjoyed your process and understood how you went about it. I like the results and progress so far - the final landscape scene is going to be beautiful and well represented in your creativity; the four panels will be a brilliant display.

Real nice texturing for the lily's, as a matter of fact there is something very intriguing about painting on the newspaper (or paper) w/the printing. I don't know if this is your intention, but you've got to consider it as part of the design and desired outcome.

Flycatcher10
09-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Hi Ed, you have a good start to your painting despite the troubles you're having with your new glasses (been there, done that!). Nice start to the structure of the scene is there, looking forward to seeing how you develop it further.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Sorry flycatcher10 , I did not mention that this is not the painting
, it was a color study to see what kind of color palette will be good for
This painting . The actual painting is done on another paper. Those I should called sketches only. But I agree that I use another piece of paper such as news print paper for color study. I really impressed by everyone works done so far.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-10-2014, 12:08 PM
here are some updates of the garden work.

l added shadow on the bridge to make it less attractive, the white colour is so intensive that took away the centre piece pavilion attention. l also adjusted the branches while continuously finishing the left out on the last time. Mind in my head that l did not just make a wall stood in front and cannot make the illusion of depth of the background. I made some ripples & reflections on the water instead of noting. After all these done . l worked on the left panel again that l changed the pink colour on the artificial rock and blew the size of the pavilion bigger. by now ,you should know that you can add or subtract things you like or unlike . :angel: . Sometimes you should stand away from your drawing and have a real serious look at your creation that should greatly help you moving toward the end.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-10-2014, 12:13 PM
here is the beginning

Allan

Pat Isaac
09-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Nice updates to the garden, Alan.
Ed I do like the abstract quality of your painting. I hope the glasses situation gets fixed soon.

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
09-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Purplehtrade your painting had a QuickStart than me
I didnot go to the lily firstly. I think your lily painting will be great, specially your flower.
Just watch out the bottom . The bottom left has nothing but reflection. On my painting, I will alternate that. I'll draw another leaf to cover it and make it balance in composition :angel:

purpletrader
09-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Pat - thanks for the nice comment

Allan - thanks also for the nice comments. i never thought about the problem with the lower left portion. Also, thanks for the demonstration. It is very interesting and instructive to see how you go about producing your art.

ed

AllanWaiShingMak
09-15-2014, 03:32 AM
hi everyone, here are another update of the painting process. the right pavilion foundation had changed from pink to sky blue and for light blue , l also changed the foreground artificial rocks on either end of the painting . Different shade and tint of green colour used to separate trees from each other and to increase the deepest depth of field.

Allan

Flycatcher10
09-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Beautiful work Allan - really enjoy reading about your process and seeing the progress. The lighting is gorgeous.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-17-2014, 10:39 PM
It's half a month gone . The challenge is still on and hot , don't let your fear reigns in heart !

Yannse
09-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Tried the waterlily today on art board, 11x9in. MUNGYO and REEVES oil pastel.:heart: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2014/1111142-image.jpg

Flycatcher10
09-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Love your interpretation Jiemin - your loose style enhances the beautiful scene.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Wow jiemin, your interpretation is quite amazing ,
The complexity still carries beauty and simplicity. Love the tranquil quality. Lovely

AllanWaiShingMak
09-20-2014, 11:19 AM
here is the final look . l'm really satisfied . the background skyscrapers are added just to make me feel this' my home instead of demolition of them. COMPLETED:clap:

AllanWaiShingMak
09-20-2014, 11:26 AM
here is the waterlilies . l want to do 3 , 2 are done ,and here is the first painting.
l followed the scheme of my colour study choice not actually follow what is there.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Don't stop it is not over yet ?

Flycatcher10
09-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Beautiful finished painting Allan. I do like the addition of the skyscrapers in the back, giving substance and height to the background, the overall palette is really wonderful.

Nice waterlily study - I like your creativity with this piece, the textures are great that you are achieving in the middle of the lily and right-side leaf. The color choices are bold and is giving vibrancy to the overall scene.

It's been slow all over Wetcanvas and some other sites, not just this forum. I'm filled with too many outside demands this month to participate, but I'm enjoying stopping in and seeing the progress.

Flycatcher10
09-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Pat is not feeling well and thus the reason for her absence.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-21-2014, 12:18 PM
It is good to decide what color you want to paint before you jump right in . If you do a quick sketch of your view and use some vibrant colors instead of what the photo interpretation's . Anyone will sooner discover their artistic talent, the vast possibility of creativity is opening in your mind. The paintings you made are never bored.

Thank flycatcher, it's a place to share skills and techniques . My skill is learned from someone and that I don't mind to pass them on to anyone.

Keep on everyone. You could do that , just do it , fear is nothing

AllanWaiShingMak
09-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Hi guys
another update of the waterlily , almost all the colour is established

Allan

Flycatcher10
09-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Nice deep, rich reflections Allan, with bits of sunlight hitting the petal reflections in the water.

Coming along beautifully - wonderful loose style.

purpletrader
09-23-2014, 10:34 AM
here is an update of my water lilie. i tried to get the flower brighter but i think i only got it darker. i also worked on the water lilies and the background and tried to eliminate all the little white spots where there was no paint.

ed

purpletrader
09-23-2014, 10:38 AM
sorry, i forgot to add picture to post.

ed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2014/1580605-water_lilie_redo.jpg

AllanWaiShingMak
09-24-2014, 10:13 AM
On the bright side of the flower, You could add pink to replace the pale purple. That will light up your lily. The mirror effect of the pond gotta be dark blue or green or black. As I told before add extra leaves on the bottom to shrink the size of the bottom pond smaller. You did a good job on the background leaves . The houses are all indian red bricks . Your flower is perfectly size and shape I like that. Keep on finish it

Allan

AllanWaiShingMak
09-25-2014, 09:45 AM
made mistake here .

AllanWaiShingMak
09-25-2014, 09:49 AM
here another update of the waterlily. l thought before that the tall waterlily leaves here can be abstractive in form and it also obstructed the viewer to look into the background. the background building on both sides l used earth tone colour such as indian red , brown and burnt sienna , that helped the green colour shine brightly. the pond reflection have to be dark colour. such as dark green and emerald , ultramarine and Royal blue which has the quality of low moving water, the reddish purple & purple for the flower reflection are perfect. though the reflection angle is not matched as the nature , it works ? !

Allan

lorigina
09-27-2014, 07:02 PM
looks good Allan. I really like the way you use color.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-28-2014, 11:26 AM
hi everyone

lorigina , thanks for your comments . this is a place to share experiences and skills and l think l'll host next other time. Thanks Pat too , hope you get well soon.

AllanWaiShingMak
09-28-2014, 12:17 PM
that's final preview. Colour sometimes are deceptive . the earth tone colour are less attractive and trend to be neglected in visual effect. you watch the flower and leaves more than the less attractive features , and the houses in the background are doing these tricks. Try this in your own project.

Allan

purpletrader
09-28-2014, 10:58 PM
this is my last version of the water lilie. i added another lilypad to the left bottom and darkened the image of the bloom in the water and added some pink to the bloom. i think the pad that i added should be lighter but i wasn't able to scrape off the former layer of paint well enough to do that. usually i paint for a couple of hours and then quit and don't add anything later but this time i added quite a few things later which turned out easier than i thought it would be. I appreciate any and all comments even if I don't utilize the changes.

ed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2014/1580605-water_lilie_3.jpg

AllanWaiShingMak
09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Well purpletrader actually it's better , the fear you had overcome gave you a more understanding of color usages and of compositional modification . You actually understand more knowledges on expressing ideas and how color could work for you . Purple is blue and red tertiary mixture, so all kind of dark blue will do good as shadow,all kind of red will make Purple reddish , and as the sun shines on purple ,the brightest spot of purple may seem pink to lavender color. Sometimes it may depend on your eyes or on your needs of special visual effect.
Whatever you need you would try and experiment color effects. You'll be surprised !

AllanWaiShingMak
09-30-2014, 03:27 AM
keep on and get your fingers dirty. don't let the oil pastel dried and dusted.

before l said see you next available monthly host .And here is my greeting from Mayheming Hong Kong . Peace be with you

Allan

Flycatcher10
09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Allan, your lily pond scenes are awesome! They are deep in color and a richness to the scenes, seriously beautiful work. I love the lily pads, they are showcase stars in their own right as well.

Great point about the tan - earthy colors, they do keep the building separate from the wonderful flowers.

Nicely done, love seeing the progress posts.

Flycatcher10
09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi Ed, wonderful to see your update to the painting - the flowers are really coming along, as the lily pads are as well. Beautiful form to the pads - nice width and vein work showing the delicacy of the pads.

When I first started painting with oil pastels and to this day, I take scraps of paper and mix oil pastel colors - it's a way for me to see the effects before I apply to the painting surface. I'll also scrape the colors with a razor to see further effects on the colors. Allan gave you good advice as to color mixture, the only thing I can add is to have fun mixing, because through these little experiments comes ah-ha moments that you'll use later on.

raizes
09-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Decided to give the bamboo pic a try. I love the colors in it.
3x5" card using Senneliers OP's and little charcoal pencil.
Thanks for hosting Allan!

AllanWaiShingMak
09-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Raizes your interpretation is simple and looking good

The bamboo is a big challenge, great attempts

AllanWaiShingMak
10-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Dear everyone .
All the demo done here mostly used Pentel 49 color set,
on A4 Winsor sketch pad paper.

Allan

Flycatcher10
10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Beautiful work Rich, nice to see you again!