PDA

View Full Version : Wallis Paper news

BruceF
09-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Here's some news that Kitty had posted on August 18th. Unfortunately, the pads sold out in a few days. But, they are expecting more. Here's a link to Wallis' facebook page https://www.facebook.com/WallisArchival

Wallis currently has paper available! It's part of a test run of a new color and limited in quantity and sizes, so let us give you a little backstory.

As some of you know there has been a ridiculous consecutive sequence of errors in the production of Wallis paper that resulted in repeated shortages over the last few years. These included shipping damage, hidden materials flaws, subtle coating flaws, cutting errors, etc. Each of these caused us to fall a little further behind in production, since the process takes 2-4 months per run. Late last year we took steps to improve the overall process in both time and quality by gaining access to some of the newest and most technologically advanced coating equipment in the U.S. Unfortunately it turned out that the equipment did not work well with the archival materials with which we make our products and the majority of that run came out damaged and unusable.

The run was a test of new color, (a warmer ground version of our Belgian Mist we are calling Warm Mist), and it was meant to be immediately followed by each of our regular products you are familiar with. The subsequent runs, of course, were canceled.

The good news is we do have a quantity of the test run that is perfect. It uses the same Belgian-linen colored brown grit as our Belgian Mist product, but with a tiny bit of Maroon Oxide added to the glue underneath, as opposed to the Brown Oxide used in our Belgian Mist paper. We were running the test color because many artists have inquired about a warmer version of Wallis paper for years.

At the moment we only have our 12x18” pads available, which come 8 sheets to the pad. Since there will be a limited quantity we can produce every 2-3 weeks as we process the damaged run and extract the perfect portions of it, and because it's not a product that any stores have had on their shelves or in their systems, we will be selling them directly to artists.

They are available in 3-packs for $115 each, including free shipping in the continental U.S, in order to give you a comparable discount to what you would receive from a catalog purchase. For the first 30 days we will be limiting these to two 3-packs per customer so that more folks will get a chance to restock on Wallis paper as we are able to make more of this available.

We also have a few dozen 9x12” pads of Professional White and Belgian Mist pads which we are offering in 3-packs for $60 each, including free shipping in the continental U.S. We'll have some of the Warm Mist color in 9x12” pads soon for the same price.

Give us a call at 503-244-4724 if you have any questions about the Warm Mist paper or if you'd like to order some. Thanks!

And please stay tuned here for upcoming news on availability of our regular products. We're working on it!

robertsloan2
09-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Oh this is really cool and tempting! I'd love to try that Warm Mist color. Unfortunately I spent my budget, so hope they'll still have some in October. Very, very tempting!

Potoma
09-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting. I have them liked of FB now. I am sitting on a bunch of old Wallis, mostly because I went on to using Uart and Pastelbord. I have used some Belgian Mist lately, tho. Would love to try this new color.

bluebird70
09-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Is Wallis pastel paper really that much better than other brands?

getdusty
09-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi Judith, It's a great paper if you like sanded surfaces, but I like other sanded surfaces as well. Just a matter of personal preference. (and you know how we are...we want what we cannot have) :)

Kitty Wallis
09-02-2014, 11:41 PM
We at Wallis Pastel Paper are very happy to be coming back into production. In this early stage we will have a supply of these Warm Mist Pads every 3 or 4 weeks. Watch my facebook pages to see when the next supply is available.

robertsloan2
09-03-2014, 12:03 AM
Oh wonderful! Thank you, Kitty! I had already blown my budget or I would have been so sorely tempted. I'll save up for next round or the one right after it and definitely follow your Facebook!

jackiesimmonds
09-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Is Wallis paper different/better from other papers. To me.....Oh yes. It most certainly is different, there is nothing quite like it. The Pro surface is delicious, the Museum surface is super-delicious - to me. people may like other surfaces, sure, but Kitty's paper is different to all others, and needs to be tried. then you can decide for yourself if it is "better" ...for you.

Judy Manuche
09-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Yay! Thanks, Kitty!

jakertanner
09-05-2014, 09:59 PM
What assurse us that Wallis paper won't go away again? If we start using Wallis, and base our workaround this paper, what happens when production ceases again?

getdusty
09-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Jake, I guess it is like all good things....enjoy it while you can (and experiment with other papers so you have a back-up...just in case...)

Saskia
09-10-2014, 03:59 AM
What assurse us that Wallis paper won't go away again? If we start using Wallis, and base our workaround this paper, what happens when production ceases again?
I'm sorry, but I have to say this. Producers are not obligated to the people who use what they create. Ms. Wallis wants to sell paper and have her product continue to be a success. If she does a good job, people will line up to buy it, for as long as she chooses to make it. That's the deal. That's capitalism. She does not owe us assurances or anything else--it's just fair trade. Anyone who doesn't like it is free to not use it.

I'll be buying a pad as soon as I get the chance, though. I already have the Facebook page pinned to the opening tabs on my browser.

SueNM
09-22-2014, 10:46 AM
I seem to get my best painting results with the White Wallis pro. Shoot. Wish I'd stocked the heck up with it while it was readily available. I've been trying to use Spectra Colourfix, Spec. Colourfix supertooth, and the Mi-T Touch. They're just like a whole 'nother ball game. My layering doesn't come from intentional effects, but rather, "Oh, that doesn't quite look right, let me try this other color." Also, I really prefer white paper and all those others come in colors. Shoot!

AnnaLisa
10-02-2014, 08:14 AM
I suppose they donīt send to Europe? yet..wonder when we could buy them.

I have only 1 sheet of belg mist and 1 White. I have not tried them yet.

I wonder if the paper eat up your pastels and if so only very soft pastels
work with them?

Saskia
10-02-2014, 09:08 PM
When I first tried sanded papers I thought they would eat the pastel too, but was surprised to find they really don't, at least for me. It helps if you use an underpainting. That way, your pigment is spread all over the surface in the beginning and you don't have to struggle to fill all the openings with the end layers.

I think most artists use harder pastels for the first layers and softer ones on top. Harder ones are very nice on sanded papers, and lay down in smooth, thin layers that you can build on top of.

AnnaLisa
10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
When I started with sanded paper I used pastelpencils and medium hard pastels because the paper was not that gritty.
Later with Another paper, I donīt remember what paper it was but I Think the pastel was Rembrandt
and I looked at the stick, which I have broken to half, and I said, wow do
the paper eat the stick so much, I saw it disappear, so sometimes its better
with softer pastels on some papers.

Me too like to start with harder ones and put the softer ones over that. I
also like underpainting. As soon as I know what to paint on the Wallis I will
try it, and I have to figure out which pastels to use, maybee leave a bit around the painting to try different brands or cut the sheet to not make that
big one.:)