PDA

View Full Version : The Claw

cuttlefish
06-29-2001, 04:41 PM
I finally got off my ass and started painting something. This is the one I was having trouble removing the graphite from. You can still see some of the grid lines. I'm a bit stumped as to where to go from here. Just this object in isolation feels a bit dull to me, but I haven't a clue about what to add. I will be working up some clouds in the background and glazing in some color-- I just don't feel that that's enough. Any suggestions?

olika
07-02-2001, 09:17 PM
You could try adding some more orbs in the background to give the feeling of objects in the distance? Fade them out with cooler colours? That might go well with the clouds up above or in and around them in the back. Just a thought :)

diphascon
07-10-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by cuttlefish
I will be working up some clouds in the background and glazing in some color-- I just don't feel that that's enough. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I feel this is a marine creature ... :p

keep on

martin adler

cuttlefish
07-10-2001, 10:18 PM
Here's how it's going. The previous background was irritating me, so I masked out the thing with latex and spread a blue sky all over it. I like how the moons are working, but something is still lacking. I'll keep you posted.

Wally's Mom
07-11-2001, 01:56 PM
I like the moons -- I think that you are definitly on the right track !:clap:

Trish Booth
07-26-2001, 06:49 PM
I like the moons too but there's a lot of 'roundness' going on here. Telephone poles and power lines are my favourite! Though they likely are not going to fit in this context you might consider something linear/angular to break up all the circular forms. Pipes, cables, streaky clouds rather than puffy ones? Something like that.

LDianeJohnson
07-27-2001, 04:07 PM
Love what you have going here. What a great concept. I would not overwork the background as the subject is so very interesting. If anything, perhaps just reduce the size of the upper right globe so it appears to give even more depth/distance.

Keith Russell
08-07-2001, 11:28 PM
Sorry, I liked it better in the first image, with the 'red' background. The texture made it interesting enough, and I liked the 'enigmatic' feel of it, without the planets in the background.

If you insist on using the planets, though, the two on the left are too similar in size, and too close to being parallel to the left hand edge of the piece, for my taste, compositionally.

I would reduce one of the two left-hand planets in size, and move it horizontally left or right, so it isn't right above or below the other one.

Keith.

Leaflin
08-17-2001, 11:08 AM
I'm with Keith on this one.
The 'Claw' is fantastic.
I prefer the background colour on the first image.

cuttlefish
08-18-2001, 04:15 PM
In retrospect, I agree with the prefence for the pink background, but there's no going back at this point. I'm not too satisfied with that purple moon, either. I'll figure something out.