PDA

View Full Version : Skunk Cabbage on Masa

Eliz
06-29-2001, 04:27 PM
I finally tried my masa paper - very different. I haven't mounted the masa. I still haven't bought acrylic medium, so I just crumpled, soaked, and spread out the paper on a board. It dried fairly flat. I'm not sure if I'll glue it to a backing before framing.

18x24 inch, on masa paper:

MissMouse
06-29-2001, 05:15 PM
Mmmmm, I have a piece of masa paper all prepared and waiting for me. I just don't know what to put on it.

Your picture looks nice, I love the colors.

NorahT
06-29-2001, 05:57 PM
Hi Eliz,

Lovely painting and very interesting effect.

Am tempted to try the Masa paper myself. Do you buy it from an art supply store?

Rod
06-29-2001, 06:33 PM
interesting, I must try some, I see you get neat texture lines as the paint is absorbed into the creases,
Rod.

Eliz
06-29-2001, 07:42 PM
Yes, I got it at an art store. I did have to try a few stores before tracking it down. It is a Japanese paper, and is relatively inexpensive. I found it for $1.10 a sheet.

I like the batik look and the rich colors, but I think it will take a bit of experimenting to figure out how to control shapes and the balance of hard and soft edges.

(I understand about not being able to decide on a subject for a special sheet of paper. I bought my first 300 lb sheet last week and I can't make up my mind! :confused: )

MissMouse
06-29-2001, 10:10 PM
I bought my paper from Pearl Paint at $0.85 (US) a sheet I thought it was a bargain as the rice paper I bought was have the size and $8.00 a sheet.

I went up to a 260lb paper and am doing my first on it. I must say it is forgiving.

MALARKEY
06-30-2001, 05:34 PM
What pretty colors MissMouse. I like this... you've given me an idea i've got to go try out now :) Did you use a pad under your paper? I tried it on foam board and my colors leached out to the board. thanks for showing this, Sandy

Eliz
06-30-2001, 09:40 PM
I have a piece of plywood that I bought for stretching paper. I didn't actually stretch this paper, just crumpled it and soaked it in the bathtub, then spread the wet paper out on the board and started painting. I sprayed it occasionally with water to keep it wet. (The humidity has been 10% lately in Southern California.)

The paint did seep through along the crumples and stained the board a bit, especially the thallo and diox. The board has a couple of coats of polyacrylate, but is evidently not completely waterproof.

Liz

T-Rex
07-01-2001, 02:42 AM
:D

Hey Eliz,

Beautiful colors and textures on your skunk cabbage. Just love this look. I've done several pictures since the last masa thread but am still having difficulty resizing for a post:( :mad: gonna kick the computer soon:evil:

Anyway, have been in contact w/ a masa paper artist since that last thread and should be receiving info soon on techniques and will share it w/ you as soon as I get it. One thing of importance I'm told is to use the rough side (its hard to tell after its wet so mark it before soaking.) I also got mine for about .80 a sheet but I had to order it and in quantity (25) Got plenty to practice w/:D :D

Lookin' good there E , Got to get this computer mess straightened out, check ya later.......Karen

Lise
07-01-2001, 05:24 AM
You must be very pleased with this. The colors are great! I love this look. I've also been wanting to try masa paper. Could you please tell me how to mount masa paper?

Eliz
07-01-2001, 02:17 PM
I havn't quite figured out the mounting part of it myself. This was painted on unmounted masa. There was a thread last week talking about mounting methods:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12615

I need to buy some acrylic medium, and start experimenting on scraps...

Lise
07-02-2001, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Eliz. I must have missed that thread. Some very helpful advice there.
- Lise