PDA

View Full Version : I am an addict

Sarah Rose
08-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi, my name is Sarah, and I am a painting addict :) My brain has re-wired itself to think about everything as it relates to painting. Watching a movie? Wow, look at how that scene is lit, it would make a great painting. I wonder if I have that shade of dusty purple? Running errands....better bring the camera because you might see something that would make a good painting. Raining outside? Perfect, now I don't have to feel guilty about staying in the house all day. Nice outside? Let's just pretend it's raining so there are no bad feelings about being in the studio all day. Anything that can be put off for another day will be put off. What weeds? What laundry? Dinner....what's that?

Blayne
08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
LOL, Sarah! I belong to that club, too! Add to your list that while reading novels, I picture the scenes in my head and frequently think, "That would make a great painting!"

I think it's not surprising the Old Masters (and more recent ones) are so frequently male--and had our have those indispensable persons called wives to take care of troublesome details like food preparation, laundry, and children and other weeds.:)

Just think of yourself as not addicted but as "having the optimal mindset of an artist." And you may quote me when explaining why you didn't get around to cleaning the closet today! Happy painting! (And if any spare wives are reading this post and long for more laundry to do, please apply. Somehow, having been there and done that, I don't think I'll be flooded with responses.:()

Sarah Rose
08-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Lucky for me my husband doesn't subscribe to the old fashioned male and female household roles :) He doesn't care if the house is messy, if I don't cook something for dinner he will make eggs, he even does laundry if he runs out of clothes :)

Tallula2
08-25-2014, 02:38 PM
I haven't cleaned in months. Good thing my husband it a neat freak and vacuums,etc. I am new at this and want to paint everything that inspires me. It is hard to hold back and my skills don't math my vision for the painting.

Still-trying
08-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Sarah, is there an agree button to push? Seeing possible painting on TV, in a movie. Thinking color. Bringing the camera everywhere. Peoples' poses.

And we won't mention needing more pastels. No...no mention of that.

You are not alone.

Equus Art
08-25-2014, 04:32 PM
This is the first year my horse has been barefoot for most of the summer because I haven't ridden him enough to warrant shoeing. "Its too hot, too buggy, too cold, too rainy, too windy.....to ride. I guess I'll just have to go up into the studio and paint instead....":angel:

I watch TV and see dramatic lighting on an actor's face and think "what colors would I use to paint that face?" HAH! I've never painted a portrait in real life, but I sure have painted a ton in my head.

I always bring my camera (or at least have the phone) in case there is a perfect scene/lighting/photo op on my drive to work. I am embarrassed to say I have been late once or twice because of stopping on the side of one of our farm roads. Ummm.......traffic was really bad???:cool:

So yeah, I'm an art addict as well.

Cat

Still-trying
08-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Someone texted me a photo of a darling three year old child. I texted back, please turn around and photograph that sky for me. She did!

Sarah Rose
08-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Cat, I am so there with you. I have ridden some, but only if someone else wants to go and brings it up. I used to be a riding-aholic. It seems like this thing has really taken over my mind and I can't let it go until I 'figure it out'. I read somewhere someone saying they might even try to live longer so they have more time to figure it out. I can relate. As a woman in her late 40's I would have thought nothing could pique my interest again, but here I am. Sometimes it is bliss and a lot of the time it's frustration as my work is not what I want it to be, and I realize it takes years, decades even, to get to that point. I have even lost a few pounds because I don't want to be bothered to eat :)

Potoma
08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
All I can say is to enjoy it!

I used to be that way, but life's twists and turns proved too distracting. After a couple years, I've rid myself of some distractions and am prodding myself to get the juices to flow again, but it's harder to come by this time.

Work it for all it's worth!

allydoodle
08-25-2014, 08:13 PM
I was out today, and I saw a crane (the mechanical kind, tall, metal, you know..... not the bird :lol: ) reaching into the sky. The sky was the purist of blues, and the crane, the brightest of oranges.... I said to my daughter, look at the complimentary colors, aren't they just beautiful??? I told her, that's how my mind/eye works, visual temptations to paint all around me, even in the ugliest of subjects.......:lol: I do think it would make a beautiful painting....

stapeliad
08-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Just wait. The madness gets about a thousand times worse if you decide to start plein air painting. LOL

I haven't cleaned in months.

painting is a better use of time. :thumbsup:

getdusty
08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Yes, Sarah Rose, count me in. If I'm not painting, I'm watching instruction videos or reading books. In my yard I look up at the sky and think that's cool...what colors? or look at the huge maple tree and enjoy the play of light and shadow. I bore everyone when I say..look at that....look at those colors...amazing clouds...and you didn't hear me say that I snapped photos while driving over a local bridge (there are the most amazing river and mountain views...and if it happens to be sunset...oh my)
Hi...my name is Peg...and I'm a paint-a-holic (and don't get me started on my buying art supplies addiction...)

jakertanner
08-25-2014, 11:34 PM
I keep banging into things while walking because I'm constantly studying the clouds...lol I think I know all the trees by my house by name.

robertsloan2
08-26-2014, 01:52 AM
When I'm not up to painting or drawing I'm reading WC and thinking about it, or studying the art on my walls, or looking at things deciding how to paint them. Planning paintings and mental rehearsal.

The happy thing is that all that mind practice results in better painting. It does count! Imagine yourself doing it perfectly and when you really do it, it works better than it would if you hadn't.

RickinNM
08-26-2014, 05:23 AM
Hi

I am Eric I am a painting addict . :( It all started with a few doodles on scrap paper . Then doodles proliferated on every piece of paper I touched. From little kilroys to smiley to trees .

And no that was not enough I needed more colored doodles red ink blue , oh all the pretty colored pencils.

Start with doodle they are gateway art it will lead you to the hard stuff.

Ohh it went down hill from there acrylic paints, watercolors, pastel pencils and pastels oh look at all those little colorful pieces of vibrant joy just like lays potato chips cant own just 1 company . :evil:

It gets worse my wife say what a beautiful red sunset , I reply yes it is a beautiful shade of Cadmium red light and think hmm can I paint it. Look at that green truck the hookers green one ? She sees blue ,I see cobalt she sees yellow I see yellow oxide. It permeates all aspects of your life. Im eating spray cheese in a can with club crackers She asks for some I spray some cheese on a few give em to her she looks at em looks at me and says you make designs even on this shees . :eek:

Better half goes to town and grocery shops asks if I want any thing and I think am I out of any paper or pastels paint , Oh hun you going by hobby lobby? Umm hun you need new candy molds :evil: Hobby Lobby has those :D

She must think I have a thing for the fedex lady I am always so happy to see her . :clap:

My desk drawer cant hold all the doodles sketches and thumb nails our once beautiful bed room has turned into a studio with a bed. The walls cant hold any more paintings .:eek: our bedroom closet has more art supplies than clothes .:evil:

After we go to bed if I cant sleep I need another fix do I read a novel , No :evil: I surf the web for ideas or break out the sketch book and do some online life drawings or read wetcanvs.:D Of course there's always window shopping at the online art supplies.:clear: If she catches me should I tell her the truth or tell her Im surfing the web for dirty pictures:confused:

So far better half is taking it in stride :thumbsup: at least she hasn't tried an intervention yet :crossfingers: .

rugman
08-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Comforting to know we are not alone in our addiction.

- my wife drives a lot now on out of town trips because it was becoming too unsafe for me to drive because I was trying to take ref photos while driving

- absolutely, have camera in possession all the time in case of unexpected painting ref

- having a understanding spouse is very important :) And willing to let "honey do" projects linger longer than they should:smug:

- last year I was building photo library focusing on clouds.....now wife and kids laugh and tease me...." look dad another cloud" followed by laughter

- only way lawn gets mowed is because my kids are teenagers and they can do it (slave labor, and to get even for them laughing at me about taking photos all the time :evil: )

- and the general guilt of knowing all the outside work I need to get done before winter.....paint or do projects?...paint or do projects?.....help:confused:

stapeliad
08-26-2014, 10:34 AM
.paint or do projects?...paint or do projects?.....help :confused:

Paint.

I hope that was helpful.

Sarah Rose
08-26-2014, 12:31 PM
It's sorta funny how several of you likened this to drug addiction, because I say that a lot. People look at me like I am nuts to say that, but in my head it sometimes feels like nothing else matters except This One Thing. From the moment I get up to when I fall asleep, I am thinking about it or doing it.

Eric, are you near Farmington? There are places to get pastels there? I probably don't need to know that. I am near Durango, and the only place that sells them has maybe a 2X3 foot display of Rembrandts and that is it. I do love Rembrandts, though. We were in Denver in May and I spent hours in the pastel section of Meininger's 'playing' with the pastels and had to ask an employee for Wet Wipes for my filthy fingers :)

For me part of this is the social aspect. I have been a sculptor for decades, and they aren't as gregarious as painters. There isn't a lot of discussion amongst sculptors about sculpting. Painting is......different....and lends itself to camaraderie.

Ron, my lawn is looking like a wild meadow about now. I am the lawn mower. I also let the weeds go in the front yard this year. Winter will come along and kill them, right?

robertsloan2
08-26-2014, 12:49 PM
LOL surfing the online web stores, check, I do all of the above. I'm disabled and live in one room, a studio with a bed in it surrounded by a lot of pastels. I got a Kindle so that all the shelving in my room could go to art supplies. Yep. You got it bad, Eric.

Somehow I'm picturing this entire forum getting together and turning the back room at Sennelier into something like a dusty opium den... now isn't that an image, everyone on this thread getting a trip to Paris and five thousand in spending money, then wind up in the back room at Sennelier shop...

stapeliad
08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
And your lovely cat Robert. Please do not forget the cats.

Speaking of cats (and pastels) here is a pic of Pebbles. She got into a pthalo green panpastel. She was green for a couple of WEEKS.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2014/53789-greencat.jpg

*Deirdre*
08-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Jessica...I can believe it.....purples last a long time too.:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2014/33616-1agirly-saffey.jpg

Sarah....I am also an addict:evil: :lol:

Talking of mowing your Lawn....have you thought about a sheep?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2014/33616-nzlamb.gif Exercise, get hungry - eat grass!

jakertanner
08-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Comforting to know we are not alone in our addiction.

- my wife drives a lot now on out of town trips because it was becoming too unsafe for me to drive because I was trying to take ref photos while driving

- absolutely, have camera in possession all the time in case of unexpected painting ref

- having a understanding spouse is very important :) And willing to let "honey do" projects linger longer than they should:smug:

- last year I was building photo library focusing on clouds.....now wife and kids laugh and tease me...." look dad another cloud" followed by laughter

- only way lawn gets mowed is because my kids are teenagers and they can do it (slave labor, and to get even for them laughing at me about taking photos all the time :evil: )

- and the general guilt of knowing all the outside work I need to get done before winter.....paint or do projects?...paint or do projects?.....help:confused:

Ron, my five year old is teasing me now.."hey dad, you wanna pastel this?"..lol everyone makes fun...but when some money starts coming in, then who's gonna be laughing...lol

RickinNM
08-26-2014, 02:03 PM
Sarah

Yes I am outside Farmington . NuPastels , Rembrandt and the student stuff all you can get here. Never been to Meininger . but visiting inlaws in Bellingham Wa . we stoped at Dakotas Bellingham,s store then the Mount Vernon main store . OMG thank god I live no where near them . Thats where I tried out some brands. My better half is in town shopping far more than me.

RickinNM
08-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Robert

I look at mine as early retirement or a career change Construction Foreman to artist. :angel:

We live in a 3 bedroom home . But I utilize only 4 rooms , bath,kitchen utility and bedroom. My wind is short so walk short distances but need to sit and rest . The act of pasteling does not bother me(maybe Im careful about making dust) but dusty air or bad air quality tears me up so does oil paints diesel trucks fumes oh and the smoke from a forest fire cough cough. That is what keeps me inside home and few rooms bound .:( Have 2 bedrooms at the opposite end of the house to use for a studio but the getting there with energy aint happening. Studio/bedroom makes sense hepa filter runs 24/7 there.

RickinNM
08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Deirdre, stapeliad

Lol that so familiar . That and colored trail of paw prints across the floor then across the bedspread .

robertsloan2
08-26-2014, 10:11 PM
LOL Deirdre and Stapeliad! Oh yes the lovely cats! Colourful cats! Colourful dog too, Deirdre. Though I notice your cat learned to keep white feet their pure hue and value. Cat looks like it's smirking, dog's in a perfect complementary balance. Nice to know Pan Pastels Pthalo Green is a staining color. They really hate having it washed out, but need that.

getdusty
08-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Jessica and Deidre, lol-ing at your unfortunate pets. Deidre, your cat (who looks just like my Abby) is definitely smirking at the "foolish dog".

Blayne
08-27-2014, 01:53 PM
These are all so funny--and so familiar. RickinNM speaks for us all. We need a 12-step plan. Jay, you're downright brutal, ignoring the picture of that mother's pride and joy to instead focus on the sky and have the nerve to request a photo of just the sky. You have no shame! And all you others, with the patient spouses, the laughing children, the colorful pets, the undone chores and dangerous drivers--sadly, I'm among you. The lawn was mowed once, in June I think, but maybe that was June of last year... Whoever commented that winter will kill the grass shares my philosophy.:) I don't want to be bothered with anything not related to painting and have become a boring recluse, a single-minded curmudgeon who discounts the importance of all endeavors besides art, and a great rationalizer for why none of those bothersome chores deserve my time or attention. If only there were a season that would finish staining the deck, remove built up grunge and magically transform all these colorful dusty pieces of paper into framed masterpieces!

rugman
08-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Paint.

I hope that was helpful.

hmmm? helpful? I knew this was the response in this crowd!:D

Colorful pet photos are priceless!:lol:

Meiningers in Denver is a great art store, been there once, and actually overdue for another trip there.

Who invented ornamental lawns that need to be mowed all the time? Probably same person who invented the necktie. Shame on them!:evil:

Fun thread!

Equus Art
08-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Who invented ornamental lawns that need to be mowed all the time? Probably same person who invented the necktie. Shame on them!:evil:

Fun thread!

And pantyhose!! Does anyone actually wear them anymore? :clear:

I'm supposed to be weed eating right now. The farm and fence line looks like something out of the rain forest with the recent burst of thunderstorms that have followed the heat wave. It's too hot to weed eat, right? I think I'd rather go up into the studio and PAINT the weeds! Not too hungry right now anyway.:lol:

Cat

robertsloan2
08-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Yard work is something I never really grasped the necessity of. Why plant that much pointless grass? Why make a golf course unless you actually play golf and want to practice at home? Flower beds and vegetable patches made sense to me, the one for painting and the other for food.

I was drawing even as a little kid and my dad would much rather be out hunting fossils than mowing the lawn, so, he did it maybe twice a year. I couldn't understand why he didn't just let it all go to interesting drawable weeds and forest anyway, the house didn't look that spectacular and the lawn was on a steep hill. it would look better if we let it go to nature and planted good trees and blackberry bramble over all of it. Maybe lay in a few paths to get at the blackberries. They never did appreciate the idea.

To this day though, I've felt that gardening if it's going to be ornamental ought to look like a beautiful painting and actually inspire them. i could get Monet's garden. Just not the suburban lawn. It's even possible with good planning and planting to create one that doesn't need much or any care if they're local plants laid out in an esthetic way and allowed to re-seed. There are even ground covers that stay short and stand up to walking the dog and kids playing. But most people don't think long term about things like that and I didn't realize what homeowners associations do to enforce conformity and makework.

Sarah Rose
08-27-2014, 09:45 PM
No homeowner's association where I live, so I am free to be as uptight or relaxed with my weeds as I want to be :) I'd not like suburban living with covenants, too much upkeep. I get condo living, too, but there's a monthly fee for maintenance and grounds keeping. The trick for me was deciding that I'd rather spend my time painting and not let the weeds 'bother' me :)

julieindvik
08-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Too funny Rickin NM. I love how your beautiful bedroom turned into a studio with a bed! You have it bad!

Sarah Rose
08-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Is it wrong that I feel bummed out because it's sunny and nice outside but I want to be in my studio? Note to self: maybe it's time to put that plein air set together?

stapeliad
08-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Is it wrong that I feel bummed out because it's sunny and nice outside but I want to be in my studio? Note to self: maybe it's time to put that plein air set together?

Get outside and paint!!

*Deirdre*
08-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Jessica and Deidre, lol-ing at your unfortunate pets. Deidre, your cat (who looks just like my Abby) is definitely smirking at the "foolish dog".
That's my Handsome Harry...star of stage and screen, normally keeps Saffey ( my lab) in her place...and smirks for England!:lol:

Judibelle
08-29-2014, 12:01 PM
am loving this thread....Deidre, love the sheepish look on your guilty doggie's face! Fortunately my Chihuahua doesn't come into my 'art space'....but he would if he could...

stapeliad
08-29-2014, 02:56 PM
I am so glad there are others in this world who can have extensive conversations about how long paint is taking to dry (oils) and peeling labels off pastels.

robertsloan2
08-29-2014, 03:54 PM
SarahRose, get outside and paint! You don't even need your plein air kit sorted out if it's in the back yard. When the studio's that close to the site it's all right to use the patio furniture and bring the studio to the side! I live in a tall building and right outside is an urban scene, but I'd need body energy to get down the hall and through the lobby to really take advantage of that and sketch it. So I usually sketch on days I'm going out and have to wait for the van anyway.

Deirdre, love your Handsome Harry. He is a very elegant cat with such a lofty smirk. Definitely keeps the lab in her place. As if sitting in a complementary violet didn't anyway!

Jessica, oh yes! It really does make a difference to share these things. I've been going nuts for two years now trying to put together the right pastels to go in my backpack and make it easier to paint in the clinic garden. At last solved the Pastel Journal problem and went back to Krylon UV protective fixative for the journal on the basis of use that outdoors and Spectrafix indoors, since it seems a little better at protecting the back of the previous painting. My rosemary bloom didn't smudge at all after fixing and I didn't use that much.

Let's see... the lion's share of my spending money goes to art supplies and the lion's share of that to pastels, occasionally to supporting items like mats and frames and so on. But whenever I place an order, I get the itch to paint with what's around and rotate what's around. The stack gets taller. Even reorganizing gives me the itch to paint. I'd probably have a lifetime supply of pastels right now if they didn't keep inventing new ones and putting wish list ones on sale. But not of surfaces no matter how much I binge, I can't believe it but I have been filling journals and using up pads of pastel paper, even my pad of brown bogus sketch paper is almost empty. I got a new one when it was half full so I wouldn't run out.

Potoma
08-29-2014, 04:28 PM
This is Beau on my pasteled lap.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2014/59298-IMGBEAU.jpg

I have waaaay to many cat vs. pastel photos!

neddelta
08-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Bonnie, I love the real cat on the drawn legs instead of the boring reverse . . . .

A beautiful photo of a beautiful cat!

Best, Evelyn

robertsloan2
08-30-2014, 02:36 AM
Awww Bonnie he is adorable! Love the pose and the painting of your lap! That's so elegant! What a painterly feline he is, as inspirational as my Ari! Don't they love looking at you upside down? It gets so cool the way they don't care which way is up.

You could title that "Collage with Found Objects" or "I'm Prettier Than The Painting, Right?" or "My turn to blend the pastels!" This belongs on the special painters lolcats edition, so many good captions possible! Beau's a real sweetie and steals the show!

Got paid early today because holiday plus Blick ran 20% off coupon and free shipping over $159 which would be ludicrous normally... except that I had what was left of August's budget combined with September check and blew out all of my spending money at once in the biggest order of the year. Pan Pastels Mediums set. Pan Pastels Iridescents set with tray and tools for only $2 and change more than without, a steal, two white mat boards 20" x 32" (better storage than one giant one and saved $3 on the 20% coupon as it was the only item that applied to), replaced my Yarka St. Petersburg Professional set long since given to friend with the Extended set that had the palette I liked better, and 60 Rembrandt half sticks to be the long desired small box of decent pastels that lives in the backpack for clinic visits. To be tried out next clinic visit since Blick will deliver before my next appointment.

I was bad. But it feels so good and promptly gave me the itch to watercolor so I spent an hour fiddling with my Zeta art journal finding out how smooth paper reacts to Lots Of Fiddling. Can't believe I did that without fixing it later with pastels. Dusty tomorrow, but not in the same journal, I alternate.

Yeah. I spent everything besides essentials on art stuff to save $3 on a coupon when everything else it wouldn't matter when I ordered. Um right. Hooked. Sorely hooked both on painting and supplies. But it sort of feeds the beast, just ordering something gets me playing with something else immediately.

So naturally I fantasize about painting Beau... those eyes, that upside down adorable face, that great pose...

RickinNM
08-30-2014, 03:43 AM
Lol Robert

I just got a blick care package today I had some extra last week 20% 149 or more . Most was 20 off but the jewel of it was 18 set landscape Schminke for $68 - 20% got it for $55:) Dying to incorporate them in up coming paintings. Lol just looked extra discounts no longer apply for that item.

The unpacking was a fiasco my 2 cats + wifes 2 cats wanted to play with EVERY box, bubble wrap or plastic bag. If left to their own devices I would have been left with 2 boxes of shredded scratched and chewed and missing art supplies. 4 cats in play mode not a iris among them .:eek:

Supplies put up safely . Tomorrow play with my new supplies.:clap:

Sarah Rose
08-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Love the photo of Beau! I have kept my kitties out of my studio so that I have one room relatively cat hair free, but pics like that make me reconsider :)

Robert, I spent a few hours yesterday putting together a plein air palette, mostly NuPastel and Rembrandt. It's another gorgeous day, maybe I will go outside. I am not really a fan of plein air painting, or maybe it's the insects and wind, not sure :) I have often thought I could do plein air from inside my house, I have some nice views esp if I don't include my neighbors yard full of broken down vehicles, ha ha! I'd normally be pestering my husband to take the horses out, but he is immersed in remodeling our bathroom and I have learned to leave him alone when he gets this focused. Don't want to impede progress in any way! As another disabled person it will be wonderful for me to finally have a wheelchair accessible bathroom. So I 'have to' paint, right? In order to not pester him?

Still-trying
08-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Bonnie, Beau is "Beau-tiful" Such velvet black.
Are we confessing to new pastels here? Consider me confessed. GA floral and Schmincke halfs. Now to actually paint something......

Theodorablau
08-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Hi, fellow addicts, just discovered this thread and LOVE it! Had a hard time yesterday removing purple footprints out of the shower... went down to the basement before breakfast for some juice and stopped for a second in my studio. Ended up staying there for an hour and then carried all that lovely pastel dust upstairs because I had totally forgotten to put on my shoes!
Apropos Sennelier shop, have a look at this:

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?q=&layer=c&z=17&sll=48.858324,2.332671&cid=13938312323263003740&panoid=cnfvePDJAUEAAAQJOF2vIg&cbp=13,215.77560505688007,,0,0&cbll=48.858324,2.332671&ei=DRICVLv1AZTA7Aawu4DgCg&ved=0CCEQ2hQwAA

Mado
08-30-2014, 03:25 PM
This thread is good fun, it really put a smile on my face. :)

julieindvik
08-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Dorothea I just love the photo of the Sennlier Pastel shop in Paris! So cool how it goes 360!

Has anyone tried the jumbos shown in the pic?

Potoma
08-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks very much, Evelyn, Robert, Sarah, and Jay. Beau is a climber, always on top of something, but he's not likely to actually choose to be on my lap. This desk also is next to the window, which I keep open (even wasting AC!) all the time for them. I have five! I am glad they keep me.

getdusty
08-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Sarah Rose..."plein window" painting :) and yes, you MUST paint so as to not bother your husband during the bathroom remodel.
Jay, "they" say confession is good for the soul...

Sarah Rose
08-30-2014, 08:22 PM
I love the 360 Sennelier shop shot! Technology is amazing! I recently ran across this album of paintings done from Google Maps. I had to giggle because it says plein air, but pretty sure paintings done from Google are not plein air. Some nice ones, though.

I am so glad I started this, I was beginning to think I am going through a mid-life crisis, or just going plain crazy. I am beginning to grasp how much I do NOT know, and how short life is and where I'd like to get with this stuff. Hence total obsession.

I'd love to have 5 kitties, but I don't want to clean the litter boxes that much :) They go outside in the summer, though. I adore my kitties, and yes, that is what we call them, even my husband says 'kitties' :)

robertsloan2
08-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Yay Rick! Congratulations on successfully unpacking despite feline interference! Little things that roll all belong to cats. They just don't understand why we get territorial about our toys, isn't everything in the house theirs?

SarahRose, plein air from a window counts! It's the painting from life that's what counts, not the bug bites. And if you ever feel like doing something with rust and details you can always pick out one of your neighbor's wrecked vehicles as a subject. Some artists do great paintings of old junkers or even just their grilles.

Dorothea, your purple footprints have now just officially identified you as a cat, even if you have thumbs. Ari purrs at you and head bumps. Purr and thanks for the Sennelier shop 360 - you see why if I got stupid rich I'd just give all of you tickets to Paris, good hotel and a few thousand dollars spending money so we'd all meet up there and then paint the streets of Paris.

Jay, GA and Schminke's both sound so cool and floral assortments have such great colors. That rocks!

This is a great thread. So much fun!

Still-trying
08-31-2014, 07:20 AM
Dorothea, WOW about the Paris pastel shop. So cool that we can walk around. I found the cabinet with the soft pastels BUT THE DRAWERS WON'T OPEN. Honest, i just wanted to look. Just look!

This is such a fun thread.

Theodorablau
08-31-2014, 11:32 AM
I've been to the Sennelier shop and it is DANGEROUS! Jay, don't open those drawers, DON'T! All that magic dust goes straight to your head and you end up buying many more pastel sticks than you had planned...:cat:

Sarah Rose
08-31-2014, 03:43 PM
It's probably a good thing our local art store downsized their pastel section :) I probably have more than enough as it is :)

I keep dreaming about snow....I think because for me the winter is a huge block of time where I don't have the bad feels about my garden or not riding my horse :) A lot of people around here loathe winter, I have a friend who gets so crabby she becomes a different person (SAD disorder probably). I like the peace and quiet of winter.

My recreational time used to be about recreation, now it's about getting photos for future paintings :) Going in the mountains? Better not be overcast, must be a gorgeous light day/time. Going to canyon country? The latter part of October is best, because you get the contrast of the fall colors against the red and purple canyon walls....oh my!

robertsloan2
08-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Jay, I haven't found it yet - that's probably why! There are lots of cabinets with drawers in there. It's silly because I've looked at so many photos of the full range set in its handsome wood box and seen it in person along with many open stock full range displays. I was just expecting to see the open stock full range display out in the shop somewhere. Thanks for the tip the pastels are all in cabinets!

SarahRose, that's a good point about winter. It can be very peaceful and inward turning, a good time for studio painting. I had serious SAD problems for most of my life but a lot of it was vitamin related from not getting out of the house, my doc gave me Vitamin D prescription for it and that helped substantially. The rest is cold weather wrecking my joints and eating up body energy.

I have more than enough pastels too, but that's a comfortable thing that makes it possible for me to slow down and enjoy a huge wish list. The longer I drool and premeditate the "impulse" purchases the more my collection grows like a nautilus shell. It has long since been enough for everything I need and I won't run out of anything important for years.

Dorothea, hee hee, my only defense against that in brick and mortar stores is looking at the price tag and realizing that I could get twice as many if I wait and order from Blick. Especially chain stores. But yeah. Looking in the drawers is just asking for trouble, really it is. Someday I probably will wind up getting the full range Sennelier set even if I don't need it. Almost guarantee it if I get a subsidized apartment, pay less rent but have more space for a long table to spread it out. It meant too much during my street painting years.

Nick7
09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Hi, fellow addicts, just discovered this thread and LOVE it! Had a hard time yesterday removing purple footprints out of the shower... went down to the basement before breakfast for some juice and stopped for a second in my studio. Ended up staying there for an hour and then carried all that lovely pastel dust upstairs because I had totally forgotten to put on my shoes!

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?q=&layer=c&z=17&sll=48.858324,2.332671&cid=13938312323263003740&panoid=cnfvePDJAUEAAAQJOF2vIg&cbp=13,215.77560505688007,,0,0&cbll=48.858324,2.332671&ei=DRICVLv1AZTA7Aawu4DgCg&ved=0CCEQ2hQwAA

Oh wow, Dorothea! It's like a maze :lol: so many little rooms full of wonderful stuff!

Nick7
09-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Dorothea, WOW about the Paris pastel shop. So cool that we can walk around. I found the cabinet with the soft pastels BUT THE DRAWERS WON'T OPEN. Honest, i just wanted to look. Just look!

This is such a fun thread.

LOL that were my son's words exactly - why can't we open it? :lol: Dorothea, thank you for letting me know where I can't go while in Paris... I run a stationery, but this is heaven :D

RickinNM
09-01-2014, 06:30 PM

Oh my , Oh my I could spend my paycheck there very quickly there.

Last vacation to see my better halfs family in Bellingham Wa. and on the way home stopped at Dakota in Mount Vernon Wa. , omg that was nice I could spent my next 6 paychecks there. :evil:

robertsloan2
09-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Rick, that would be so much fun. If I ever get the chance to go, I want to save up several paychecks before the trip!

Still-trying
09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Page 5 must have secret instructions because that won't open either. Keeps bringing me back to four. Funny.

RickinNM
09-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Page 5 must have secret instructions because that won't open either. Keeps bringing me back to four. Funny.

Page 5 must be for the real addicts :D

robertsloan2
09-03-2014, 12:13 AM
That's why it opened for me immediately. Riiight... lol

getdusty
09-03-2014, 12:57 AM
I couldn't open page 5 either and then, suddenly, there it was! :)

Still-trying
09-03-2014, 08:20 AM
It's like the drawers in the Paris shop. We keep trying and they will open!

Sarah Rose
09-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Oh, you guys just got here? There were a bunch of coupons for free pastels, sorry I took them all.

robertsloan2
09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
hahahaha SarahRose oh that's wicked!

RickinNM
09-03-2014, 05:23 PM
SarahRose

:crying:

How could you . :(

Still-trying
09-03-2014, 08:35 PM
SarahRose. PUT THEM BACK! I hid them on page 5.

Seriously, in order to get here, I had to request page six! What's up?

getdusty
09-03-2014, 08:47 PM
oh.....so you're one of those "mean girls", SarahRose,...sob
Jay, I don't see a page 6.....next you'll be telling us that there are free pastels on that page!

robertsloan2
09-03-2014, 09:17 PM
There's always free pastels on the next page. And how often would we wind up picking up a pad of new paper because they put free pastels with it? I've done that... actually it was a nice bundle and the paper was good so I don't feel that bad about it either!