PDA

View Full Version : rice to clean bits

jakertanner
08-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Hi,

So I tried the rice method to clean the tiny pieces of pastels so I can sort them to make more sticks. I don't think it works so well...lol I got dirty rice, and dirty bits. Any suggestions?

Saskia
08-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Grits work better than rice. Rice is smooth, but the grits have semi-sharp edges.

It doesn't seem like a little bit of dust on the surface would make a difference, though.

jakertanner
08-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Grits, going shopping tomorrow, thanks. trying to get them as clean as possible. I can barely see what color it is.

robertsloan2
08-23-2014, 11:47 PM
I used corn meal, same difference. I've used the same box for a bunch of cleanings and it still isn't that filthy but the pastels are lovely. It's also a safe way to transport pastels for plein air, putting them in the corn meal.

Saskia
08-24-2014, 12:37 AM
About the grits, I use the quick kind. They have more texture to them.

jakertanner
08-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Great tips Robert and Saskia, thank you. BTW, Robert, separating the bits was a smart move. I had so much grey dust already, that if crushing the rest of the colors would add to that, then I see why everyone was against it...

I got a nice assortment of blues, violets, yellow, and reds to make some pretty unique sticks. Not going to sort by value...don't think there's enough there, but I am curious to what color the stick will end up.